All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Vikings add DT Davlin Tomliinson from the Giants. Looks like a solid add to the defensive line.

Here's The Athletic's take on him - sounds exciting - maybe Joseph 2.0? Thanks again New York Football Giants -

After missing out on two defensive ends in free agency, the Vikings agreed to a deal with defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson on a two-year contract worth $22 million that Minnesota hopes will shore up the interior of its defensive line.

The deal can’t be formally signed until Wednesday evening, but it’s one the Vikings hope will help dramatically improve their run defense. And it’s eerily similar to when the Vikings signed Linval Joseph in free agency, another nose tackle that arrived in Minnesota after playing for the New York Giants.

Tomlinson’s deal comes with a $15 million signing bonus and $20 million in guaranteed money, as NFL Network first reported.

How he fits: Well, interestingly, it’s not entirely clear how he fits. Tomlinson is more of a traditional nose guard than a three-technique, and the Vikings already have that in Michael Pierce. In fact, the two have very similar strengths, both excelling at run stopping. Perhaps that’s what intrigued Mike Zimmer after watching Alvin Kamara run all over the Vikings on Christmas Day. But it’s at least a bit curious considering the Vikings have often excelled on defense with a pass rusher at the three-technique spot, but apparently will play with two run stuffers up the middle instead.

[NFL free agency signing grades: How did the Tomlinson signing fare?]

2021 impact:
Defensive tackle was up there with offensive guard as the positions the Vikings most needed to improve. Last year, they had arguably the worst interior defensive line in the NFL. Now, assuming Tomlinson plays next to Pierce, they have a massive middle of the line that will be difficult to rush against. Tomlinson has been a starter in all 64 of his NFL games since being drafted in the second round in 2017 and figures to join the Vikings’ starting front four right away. He has notched 3.5 sacks in each of the last two seasons, and perhaps the Vikings see a pass-rushing upside in the 6-foot-3, 318-pound former Alabama player.

Draft impact: Speaking of the Crimson Tide, this move makes it unlikely that the Vikings will consider Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore in the first round. Barmore may have been a stretch with the Vikings’ first pick at No. 14 anyway, but this move allows Minnesota to place more focus on the offensive line and an edge rusher early in the draft. Depending on how the rest of free agency goes, an offensive lineman could become the team’s top target with the No. 14 pick.

Cap update: Even though they’ve been close to the salary cap all along, the Vikings had room to add one notable free agent. Tomlinson may be that player, but the Vikings can also add more cap space by converting some of Adam Thielen’s contract and extending Harrison Smith if they feel they can acquire another worthwhile free agent, perhaps someone like cornerback Shaquill Griffin.

Otherwise, the Vikings probably will look down to lower-tier free agents, probably on the offensive line. They agreed to deals with offensive tackle Rashod Hill and linebacker Nick Vigil on Monday, but left guard remains an open position for the Vikings.

Chiefs got former Pats guard Joe Thuney.

Better draft some guards (at least one solid one) then, or we're F'ed.
How do they still have cap room? Mahomes deal is like Brady's: they can keep converting salaries to bonuses and kick the can down the road. Then at some point in 9-10 years they will take their medicine all in one year like the Patriots just did. Meanwhile, we're stuck with Mr. Guaranteed Contract and his giant cap #.

One thing I like about the signing of the DT Tomlinson is just what The Athletic wrote about NOT taking the DT from Alabama more than likely. I was never excited about that possibility, it seemed like a bit of a reach. Shores up the DT position, narrow down the focus in the early part of the draft.

EDIT: Also happy to see they re-signed OT Rashod Hill. It seems like there is some potential there to at least be a solid swing Tackle

OK. The Athletic article above says the LG is open. So that means they aren't going to resign Dozier.

Good. Hope they draft someone decent for that spot.

But that still leaves friggin Samia as the RG?? Dude got bitched left and right. Was a complete disaster. Cut him and move on.

If they can't make Hunter happy the Vikings will be stuck in mediocre pergatory. Have to make him happy and get a stud O-lineman in the draft.

I'm surprised that they basically put $16MM of his total $20MM guaranteed in the first season. It's good in that if for whatever reason, they could cut him in 2022 with not a big hit. But that also means they're taking a big hit this year, where they don't have much flexibility.

The Athletic article referenced above makes no mention of Hunter. Am I out of the loop- is it assumed they'll be able to restructure others to free up some coin for Hunter? Last I saw was the speculation that he will likely hold out.

If they can't make Hunter happy the Vikings will be stuck in mediocre pergatory. Have to make him happy and get a stud O-lineman in the draft.
Trade Hunter. It's not worth the coming headache.

Means you have to draft a great edge guy, which means the first round pick. And hope Wonnum turns into the next Hunter. He had a couple nice flashes last year.

But you still need a starting LG. If that's coming from the draft ... damn man, that's a big risk at 3rd round or lower? Not to mention there's no way in hell we can have Samia starting at RG.

Here's one wild, crazy-ass idea; the Raiders cut Richie Incognito a while back, thinking they'll bring him back at a reduced rate. He was injured for a good chunk of last year and he has his very obviously checkered past but during his stint with the Raiders, he's been a model citizen and even at 38 he's in fantastic shape and is one of the best OG's in the business.

Pretty unlikely to happen, major risk with a pretty good reward; he would certainly elevate the Vikings Guard position for a pretty low rate. He was due to make around $5M this year and the Raiders were hoping for a hefty bargain on that for 2021.

Here's one wild, crazy-ass idea; the Raiders cut Richie Incognito a while back, thinking they'll bring him back at a reduced rate. He was injured for a good chunk of last year and he has his very obviously checkered past but during his stint with the Raiders, he's been a model citizen and even at 38 he's in fantastic shape and is one of the best OG's in the business.

Pretty unlikely to happen, major risk with a pretty good reward; he would certainly elevate the Vikings Guard position for a pretty low rate. He was due to make around $5M this year and the Raiders were hoping for a hefty bargain on that for 2021.
Scratch that. Raiders re-signed Incognito for $2.62M. Oh well.

Ugghh... As a Cardinals season ticket holder for the last 13 years, this is a tiny bit of a kick in the balls. The ominous comments in the press from Peterson over the last couple months ("it's out of my hands", etc) make this not a TOTAL surprise but I was hoping he'd retire a Cardinal. He didn't help his stock with the Cardinals front office by getting suspended the first 6 games of the season a few seasons ago for PED. He has NOT been that elite shut-down corner, Revis-island kind of CB for a few years now.

Happy to see him in purple, hopefully he acts as a mentor to those young CB's and he's not just collecting a check. I would think because he signed a 1-yr deal with the Vikings that he will play his ass off. Zim knows defense, and I would imagine he has a solid plan for the player PP21 is today, not 5 years ago.

Ugghh... As a Cardinals season ticket holder for the last 13 years, this is a tiny bit of a kick in the balls. The ominous comments in the press from Peterson over the last couple months ("it's out of my hands", etc) make this not a TOTAL surprise but I was hoping he'd retire a Cardinal. He didn't help his stock with the Cardinals front office by getting suspended the first 6 games of the season a few seasons ago for PED. He has NOT been that elite shut-down corner, Revis-island kind of CB for a few years now.

Happy to see him in purple, hopefully he acts as a mentor to those young CB's and he's not just collecting a check. I would think because he signed a 1-yr deal with the Vikings that he will play his ass off. Zim knows defense, and I would imagine he has a solid plan for the player PP21 is today, not 5 years ago.

Ogee, you are an AZ Cardinals season ticket holder living in Vegas?

Good signing by the Vikes, that was a nice surprise this afternoon.

Skol Vikes!!

strib article on PP's signing -

AP19349776510744.jpg

The Vikings have spent many of their available cap dollars on additions to a defense that gave up the fourth-most points in the NFL last season.

Their latest and certainly most high-profile signing brings plenty of experience to a young cornerback room. According to two league sources, the team is adding former Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson, who comes to Minnesota on a one-year deal worth up to $10 million. The eight-time Pro Bowler joins a team in dire need of experience in the secondary. He'd played his entire career for Arizona, which drafted him fifth overall in 2011.

Peterson is scheduled to receive an $8 million base salary, and can make up to $1 million in playing time-based incentives, with another $1 million available if he makes the All-Pro team.
He is the second significant signing for the defense after the Vikings agreed to terms with run-stuffing nose tackle Dalvin Tomlinson on Monday.

Peterson's pedigree will help first-year defensive backs coach Karl Scott with a group that relied heavily on rookies Cameron Dantzler and Jeff Gladney a year ago. Peterson had slipped in coverage the past two years, allowing passer ratings above 100 when he was targeted for the first time in his career, according to Pro Football Focus.

In Minnesota, though, he'll play for Mike Zimmer, a head coach who prizes experience in the secondary and speaks glowingly of the work Deion Sanders and Terence Newman did in his defenses toward the ends of their careers.

Peterson played at LSU when Justin Jefferson's older brother Jordan was the Tigers' quarterback and the youngest Jefferson was tagging along in the locker room after games. Now, Peterson lines up across from Justin Jefferson in practices.

The Vikings rebuilt their secondary on the fly a year ago, parting with Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander while betting they could get first- and second-year players ready despite the lack of an offseason program because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Zimmer admitted during the season he had misjudged the roster, though, and after the Vikings allowed 52 points to the Saints on Christmas Day, he said matter-of-factly, "This is a bad defense. Worst one I've ever had."

Secondary coach Daronte Jones left to become the defensive coordinator at LSU, and the Vikings added Scott to replace him, before another offseason that could be short on in-person coaching.
The Vikings could also hope to get Mike Hughes back from a neck injury that dates back to the 2019 regular-season finale and limited him to four games last season. The team figures to decline Hughes' fifth-year option later this spring, and would save $1.1 million by releasing the 30th overall pick in the 2018 draft, though a source said he's feeling good during offseason training and expecting to be back in Minnesota.

With the 30-year-old Peterson, the Vikings are betting they'll get a steadying presence in their secondary and a source of wisdom for their younger players. The cornerback didn't return kicks or punts his last two seasons in Arizona — and it's unclear whether he would be a candidate to do it in Minnesota — but was one of the game's most electric return men early in his career.

His deal comes after the Vikings employed a number of cap maneuvers to clear space in free agency, adding three void years to Tomlinson's deal so they could spread out a $12.5 million signing bonus and working to convert $10 million of Adam Thielen's base salary to a signing bonus, which would lower his 2021 cap hit by $7.5 million.

The Vikings could need to make several other moves to create more cap room — like a possible contract extension for safety Harrison Smith or a new deal for Danielle Hunter that both addresses the defensive end's concerns about his existing deal and lowers his cap hit.

On Wednesday, the first day to officially sign free agents, the Vikings brought back wide receiver Chad Beebe on what a league source said was a veteran minimum $920,000 contract. The team had decided not to place a restricted free agent tender on Beebe of at least $2.1 million.

Running back Mike Boone, another one of the team's restricted free agents, joined former Vikings assistant general manager George Paton in Denver, signing a two-year deal with the Broncos.

So we got back Xavier Rhodes.

But from which season .... ?

The Athletic weighs in -

The Minnesota Vikings spent the first few days of free agency searching for help in the secondary, and they finally landed the kind of addition coach Mike Zimmer had been in search of, agreeing to terms with veteran cornerback Patrick Peterson on a one-year, $10 million contract.

Peterson turns 31 this summer and has been a 10-year standout in the NFL, reaching eight Pro Bowls and being named an All-Pro three times. The deal is low-risk for the Vikings since it’s only one year and also gives Peterson another shot at free agency next year when the salary cap is expected to be higher.

How he fits: For the first time in Zimmer’s tenure, the Vikings were a mess on defense last season. The unit ranked 29th in points allowed and 30th in net yards per pass attempt. Zimmer attempted to revamp the cornerback crew last year, drafting Cameron Dantzler and Jeff Gladney while letting established veterans walk. The two rookies had some success, but the Vikings badly lacked depth and star power at the position. Peterson fixes that.

The addition likely also allows the Vikings to play their corners at their natural positions, too. Peterson can play opposite Dantzler on the outside, while Gladney slides into his customary spot in the slot. Plus, Zimmer will value the mentoring that Peterson can provide to the pair of corners preparing for their second year in the league.

[Grading the signings: How does the Peterson deal fare?]

2021 impact:
It’s clear now that the Vikings’ top priority this week was to improve Zimmer’s defense. To help the run defense, they agreed to a deal with Dalvin Tomlinson. In order to help the pass defense, they added Peterson. He’ll be a Day 1 starter, and if Dantzler improves as the Vikings hope, they’ll boast two above-average corners on the outside.

The Minnesota secondary isn’t completely settled, since they still need a safety to play opposite Harrison Smith. But adding Peterson is a big step in the right direction for a secondary that got picked apart last season.

Draft impact: There’s an ongoing joke from Vikings fans about Zimmer’s insistence on so frequently selecting a cornerback high in the draft. That may finally come to an end this April. Maybe. It at least frees up the team to use its earliest picks on other priorities: offensive line, defensive end and safety.

The Vikings knew they had enough salary-cap space to make two big moves. They chose defensive tackle and cornerback. Now, look for them to address their other big needs early in the draft.

Cap update: After converting Adam Thielen’s salary to bonus money, which is expected later this week, the Vikings should have about $6 million left in cap space. That’s about the same amount of money they’ll want to save for signing their draft class and leaving enough of a cushion in training camp.

So the Vikings are about done with the big names in free agency. They’ll still look to fill other spots on the roster with contracts close to the league minimum, but they’re likely done negotiating with top-100 free agents.

They also have begun talks with Smith about extending his contract on a deal that could lower his 2021 cap number, so the team can gain a bit more space, too.

Outlook: Zimmer knows this is an important year for him. He’s had a successful stint in Minnesota, but the pressure is on after missing the playoffs last season, and there could be repercussions if they miss them two years in a row. So Zimmer went out and addressed the team’s two biggest needs on defense. If Zimmer is going down, he’s going to go down by banking on his defense.

He is determined to dramatically improve the unit after saying at the end of last season that the 2020 group was the first bad defense of his entire career. They added one of the premier run stuffers at the start of free agency, then one of the best corners of the last decade. Now it’s time for him to make the defense a top-10 group again.

Ogee, you are an AZ Cardinals season ticket holder living in Vegas?

Good signing by the Vikes, that was a nice surprise this afternoon.

Skol Vikes!!
Yes! I always wanted season tickets for something (growing up rural MN) and have a place in northern AZ, kinda made sense a long time ago I guess. I love going to the games and taking people to the games. The stadium is on the far west side of the PHX valley, barely 4 hours from my house, or I probably wouldn't still have them if I had to go through PHX at all to get there, yuck.

Now that I have Raiders season tickets (and Vegas Golden Knights and Henderson Silver Knights), I should be letting the Cardinals seats go but where I've gradually moved up to with the Cardinals, I really don't want to let them go. Front row of club level, on the aisle, the seats literally 3-4 feet left of me across the aisle go up like 40% in price so I couldn't get any better seats without paying a lot more. Ideally, I'd like to find a partner to split them with and only have half the games but for the time being, I'm sticking the company with the cost (because I still take clients a fair amount) and as long as my business partners put up with that, I'm keeping them.

Back to Peterson, always loved PP, he's been a great player for a long time and he is still "only" 30-31 so he's got some football left in him. Zim is a very smart defensive guy, I'm guessing Zim knows what PP's game is TODAY and will put him in a position to be successful in purple. He used to be a GREAT punt returner his first bunch of years in the league but he hasn't done that for several years. I always like seeing him back there taking punts, I'd be surprised if he did in purple but I would love it!

So they have added two (potentially) very good pieces to the defense, assuming Peterson still has some left in the tank. As a fan, I'm super pumped about seeing Peterson in a Vikes uniform, as he has been one of the more exciting defensive players to watch over the past 10 years. However, this strikes me as a Zimmer ego thing more than a team building thing. I think Zim is butt hurt over how bad his D was last year and his ego took a big hit. Spending $10MM on a guy that at best you have a 50/50 shot of "resurrecting" his career while here seems like a luxury more than a necessity. While the OL is garbage, they don't have the luxury of spending that kind of money on a wildcard like Peterson, or signing a second nose tackle. In a vacuum, I love both signings. However, I am utterly convinced they use pick 14 at DE. Which means the OL is going to get shafted again. I'm just hoping Slick Rick can move back into the second and there is a viable OG or OT there. To completely beat a dead horse, when Cousins is your QB, you need a good OL to keep him upright. It's been comical how over Spielman's tenure how they've avoided addressing it while spending $26 million on defensive guys in 2021 already.

So they have added two (potentially) very good pieces to the defense, assuming Peterson still has some left in the tank. As a fan, I'm super pumped about seeing Peterson in a Vikes uniform, as he has been one of the more exciting defensive players to watch over the past 10 years. However, this strikes me as a Zimmer ego thing more than a team building thing. I think Zim is butt hurt over how bad his D was last year and his ego took a big hit. Spending $10MM on a guy that at best you have a 50/50 shot of "resurrecting" his career while here seems like a luxury more than a necessity. While the OL is garbage, they don't have the luxury of spending that kind of money on a wildcard like Peterson, or signing a second nose tackle. In a vacuum, I love both signings. However, I am utterly convinced they use pick 14 at DE. Which means the OL is going to get shafted again. I'm just hoping Slick Rick can move back into the second and there is a viable OG or OT there. To completely beat a dead horse, when Cousins is your QB, you need a good OL to keep him upright. It's been comical how over Spielman's tenure how they've avoided addressing it while spending $26 million on defensive guys in 2021 already.
Statistically the O was much better than the D, right?

We were last or next to last in D interior line pressure last year IIRC.

Was pointe out on The Athletic, that the Vikes have never drafter a D Lineman in the first round in Zim's tenure - he doesn't believe in it apparently. If that holds, then they can either get their OL guy in the first or trade down and draft both an O & D Linemen in the second round. I think there are other fun moves to come.

It's been comical how over Spielman's tenure how they've avoided addressing it while spending $26 million on defensive guys in 2021 already.
I want him and Zim to fail and get fired for it.

But I want the team to win. Classic conundrum.

Has there been an announcement that we're not going to attempt to resign Anthony Harris, he's just done and will get more money elsewhere?

EDIT: according to this https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news...gency-tracker-rumors-reports-tampering-period there may still be a chance at him, if teams aren't as interested as he hoped.

Of course, nothing on there about OL other than the resigning of backup tackle Rashod Hill.

Unles they're planning to start hill at LT and keep Cleveland at RG. I guess that's better than playing Samia at RG.

Statistically the O was much better than the D, right?

We were last or next to last in D interior line pressure last year IIRC.

Was pointe out on The Athletic, that the Vikes have never drafter a D Lineman in the first round in Zim's tenure - he doesn't believe in it apparently. If that holds, then they can either get their OL guy in the first or trade down and draft both an O & D Linemen in the second round. I think there are other fun moves to come.
Vikes were 29th in total defense last year. AFC and NFC championship game participants were ranked 8 (Bucs), 11 (Chiefs), 13 (Packers), 16 (Bills). The formula is basically top-half defense paired with an elite QB. Three of the four QB's were MVP candidates, and the fourth was Tom Brady. Can these moves move the Vikes into the top half of the league in defense if everyone else stays healthy? Possible. The problem with a porous OL and a statue QB, you need an elite D, not a middle-of-the-road D to get anywhere in the playoffs.

edit: for reference, Vikes were 4th in offense (yards) and 11th (points) in total offense last year. Championship game participants were 1, 2, 3, 6 in total points scored in 2020. The dud in the group (no.6) was the Chiefs with Mahomes as their QB. The team built most closely to the Vikes (Titans) were 4th in overall points scored. They flamed out quick in the playoffs with an average D and average QB.

Last edited:

Has there been an announcement that we're not going to attempt to resign Anthony Harris, he's just done and will get more money elsewhere?

EDIT: according to this https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news...gency-tracker-rumors-reports-tampering-period there may still be a chance at him, if teams aren't as interested as he hoped.

Of course, nothing on there about OL other than the resigning of backup tackle Rashod Hill.

Unles they're planning to start hill at LT and keep Cleveland at RG. I guess that's better than playing Samia at RG.
I haven't seen anything. With $6MM left for draftees, I would assume they're just letting him walk. At least the good news is you can usually get a competent safety in the 3/4th rounds.

I guess that means Josh Metellus 6th round Michigan 2020 is not ready?
He may have to be. They need OL, DE, S, LB (Barr and/or Eric Wilson's replacement), WR (even with Beebe signing). I have to imagine OL and DE will be addressed with their first and (2) third round picks. If they don't move around, that would leave 4th rounds and later to address WR, S, LB.

He may have to be. They need OL, DE, S, LB (Barr and/or Eric Wilson's replacement), WR (even with Beebe signing). I have to imagine OL and DE will be addressed with their first and (2) third round picks. If they don't move around, that would leave 4th rounds and later to address WR, S, LB.
Good at WR. I'm fine with lower round developmental guys there.

LB they only need two starters. A guy like Dye can be the third LB in run heavy situations.

I am starting to believe that everything being done is "2021 or bust".

Vikes were 29th in total defense last year. AFC and NFC championship game participants were ranked 8 (Bucs), 11 (Chiefs), 13 (Packers), 16 (Bills). The formula is basically top-half defense paired with an elite QB. Three of the four QB's were MVP candidates, and the fourth was Tom Brady. Can these moves move the Vikes into the top half of the league in defense if everyone else stays healthy? Possible. The problem with a porous OL and a statue QB, you need an elite D, not a middle-of-the-road D to get anywhere in the playoffs.

edit: for reference, Vikes were 4th in offense (yards) and 11th (points) in total offense last year. Championship game participants were 1, 2, 3, 6 in total points scored in 2020. The dud in the group (no.6) was the Chiefs with Mahomes as their QB. The team built most closely to the Vikes (Titans) were 4th in overall points scored. They flamed out quick in the playoffs with an average D and average QB.

Good post and it is interesting to see it all come together.

IIRC I read somewhere that Captain Curt was 24 TDS and 3 INTs the last ten games.

I gotta think this is do or die for Zim and Speilman. I will tweet them and suggest they watch Draft Day several times and pull a Costner for us.

Top Bottom