All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

It's not just this game. How many games this year would we have won with a defensive stop late? They've failed in almost every case.
It's not only late stops. 3rd and 8, 3rd and 10 and even 3rd and 15 are being converted at a much higher rate than the league average.

Skor North also does their "ventline" after games on youtube with fans calling/skyping in.

I have to say that the post-Lions ventline was not as angry as I expected. fewer drunk fans ranting. More of a disgusted acceptance that the season is down the tubes. Most of the callers want major changes, starting with GM and Coach.
Pretty good chance we see more coach firings than you would expect in the next couple of weeks.

With the rule now that you can interview active coaches in the final two weeks of the season (hopefully not butchering that?), I'm thinking more teams will move faster than waiting for the end of the season so they can get ahead of the rest of the crowd for their preferred candidates.

Not sure if that's the Vikings or not but I would expect to see some teams make a move before the end of the season.

Doogie seems to think that the Wilf's won't make a move before the season is over out of respect for Zim, but maybe the interview rule changes alter that.

My top 3:

Tomlin (long shot but not impossible both sides want a fresh start)

Doug Pederson
Byron Leftwich

They'll beat the Steelers.

Reel us right back in :ROFLMAO:

The sad fact is, if we had everyone on the team that we should've had -- including if Gladney doesn't punch his gf -- the team has the potential to be great.

It's just all the squandering, the injuries, the bad coaching .... doesn't point to much hope.

Doogie seems to think that the Wilf's won't make a move before the season is over out of respect for Zim, but maybe the interview rule changes alter that.

My top 3:

Doug Pederson
Byron Leftwich
Kellen Moore

Kellen Moore
I'm not really opposed but he's awfully young. I prefer Leftwich if we're going the young OC route. I trust Bruce Arians' tutelage/endorsement more than Mike McCarthy/Jason Garret I guess.

I think I would almost rather have Todd Bowles than Leftwich; Bowles is a brilliant defensive guy and he's already some brief HC experience before. I think Bowles would be a better choice than Leftwich, but I like the guy from Buffalo too, Daboll.

I think Bienemy is overrated. Does anyone else feel that way?

Reid and Mahomes make that team go. Hiring Bienemy would be like hiring Childress again, another Reid puppet.
Agreed, he could be a good coach but Reid is the one calling plays. It would be like a hiring a Vikings DC under Zimmer.

Agreed, he could be a good coach but Reid is the one calling plays. It would be like a hiring a Vikings DC under Zimmer.
I've never dug into the off field stuff but it sounds like Bienemy's previous off field transgressions are as much of an obstacle as who's calling the plays for the Chiefs. I haven't cared enough to dig into what exactly it is (I think I've heard on occasion but can't recall exactly) but from what I gather it's not major, but for some it's enough to be nervous

My top 3:

Doug Pederson
Byron Leftwich
Would the Steelers let go of Tomlin? Is that actually a possibility? Considering the franchise, I’d think that’s a long shot. If they do, give him whatever he wants to come here.

Reid and Mahomes make that team go. Hiring Bienemy would be like hiring Childress again, another Reid puppet.
Maybe it’s the Childress baggage, but I’d steer clear of Reid’s coaching tree. Between his coaches and players getting in trouble, I’m not sure I want to go with somebody that’s learned under him.

I've never dug into the off field stuff but it sounds like Bienemy's previous off field transgressions are as much of an obstacle as who's calling the plays for the Chiefs. I haven't cared enough to dig into what exactly it is (I think I've heard on occasion but can't recall exactly) but from what I gather it's not major, but for some it's enough to be nervous
His legal issues are from the 1990s to very early 2000s. I think as you noted it’s not a major issue, but it is extra baggage all the same and certainly doesn’t help him.

No idea what ownership needs to see over the next 5 weeks that they haven't evaluated the last 8 years, but alas, per STrib:

Mike Zimmer's five-week fight for his Vikings head coaching life begins Thursday vs. Steelers​

The Vikings are 5-7. They're coming off a humiliating loss to the winless Lions. And they're staring at the possibility of a hostile prime-time home crowd as the Steelers (6-5-1) visit U.S. Bank Stadium for "Thursday Night Football."

Zimmer has stiff-armed the NFL's impatient hiring cycle into his eighth season in Minnesota. Only six coaches have been with their teams longer. All six — Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Pete Carroll and Andy Reid — have won at least one Super Bowl while Zimmer has two playoff victories, a 12-16 record since his last postseason game, and needs a late-season surge to avoid missing the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time with the Vikings.

"I feel pressure every year," Zimmer told the Star Tribune in August. "So I don't look at it like I'm coaching for my job. I've always felt like I'm going to put my resume out there on the field just like the players. And if people don't think I'm good enough to do it, so be it. Somebody does … so I don't really worry about all that stuff."

Skol Vikes!!

Chip: Rick Spielman deserves as much criticism as Mike Zimmer from Vikings fans

If the Vikings conducted a popularity poll this week, Mike Zimmer would not rank high on the list. He might even be below the backpedaling Cameron Dantzler. The only way the head coach's seat could get any hotter in public opinion is if he plopped down directly onto the sun.

Criticism of Zimmer in the wake of an irritable-bowel loss to the previously winless Detroit Lions is warranted, but to pin the judgment of this entire season solely on one person would be too clean and convenient.

Zimmer's boss should not escape scrutiny as an inferno of frustration rages within the fan base. The outcome of this season demands an accounting of General Manager Rick Spielman's regime as well.

Zimmer and Spielman have been a package deal for eight years now. They have trumpeted their alignment and collaboration on key personnel matters. A relationship between coach and GM of that length in modern NFL feels like an eternity. Their professed symmetry in directing the football side of the organization should compel the Wilf ownership to give a thorough examination of the entire operation.

At 5-7, the Vikings likely need to win four of their final five games to make the playoffs for the fourth time under Zimmer. This team has been impossible to understand, so forget trying to predict with any confidence how the rest will play out.

But from the moment they gathered at training camp, everything about the season felt like a referendum on the Spielman/Zimmer era. Star Tribune colleague Ben Goessling noted this week that in the 15 seasons that Spielman has overseen the personnel department, the Vikings have been to the playoffs six times but also are one of only four NFC teams not to reach a Super Bowl, along with Washington, Dallas and Detroit.

Barring a late-season charge that dramatically changes the tone and perception, the question the Wilfs must ask themselves is whether they truly see something grand on the horizon, enough to stay the course with the full regime?

Skol Vikes!!

Theilen and Darrisaw out tonight. But a lot of others back, including Patrick Peterson off covid IR.

Barr and Kendricks back.

Cook shows "questionable".

Don't think we need Cook or Theilen, to be honest, can do well on offense without them. It's (obviously) the defense that needs to step up.

Except apparently he's the opposite of Childress personality wise. A screamer and a yeller. That usually doesn't work out well in pro head coaches.

Would the Steelers let go of Tomlin? Is that actually a possibility? Considering the franchise, I’d think that’s a long shot. If they do, give him whatever he wants to come here.
I think it would be more of a mutual parting. He's been there 15 years. They're an old team and will likely be going through a rebuild no matter who the coach is. I don't think Mason Rudolph is their QB of the future.

I'd gladly trade a 3rd round pick and pay him whatever it takes to make it happen.

Greg Joseph brought his A game tonight. A shanked FG and a missed extra point in the 1st quarter.

Hasn’t really mattered though!

Like I said … they’ll reel us back in.

Heard this in Purple Daily: Most Vikings thing in the world would be to win these three games, then lose the last two to miss the playoffs.

Hasn’t really mattered though!

Like I said … they’ll reel us back in.

Heard this in Purple Daily: Most Vikings thing in the world would be to win these three games, then lose the last two to miss the playoffs.
If Steelers fans on Twitter have any say, Mike Tomlin will be available for hire tomorrow....

Vikings dominating, then Kris Freaking Boyd makes a play for one in his life and feels the need to get a 15 yard taunting penalty. Now we're back to hanging on for dear life in a one score game most likely.

Spider sense is tingling.

Also these refs are dogshit.

I have the Steelers +1100. Don't let me down, Vikings....

GOOD!!!

Make Zimmer earn not getting fired on the spot, with defense!

Of course!! This would be a record setting comeback! Can’t make it up :ROFLMAO:

Missed pick, missed tackle.

YOU KNOW WHATS COMING

Top Bottom