All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Everson was playing great.

Sorry to say this -- but it's the highest level of professional human performance -- ...... guys are "taking" things. They just are. You're crazy if you think everyone is 100% clean or that the drug program comes even close to catching everyone.

You wonder how some of those things might affect mental health, perhaps guys stop taking prescribed things they should be, due to complications and/or bad combinations with other "things"?

If you are in the manic phase of bipolar its like you're on drugs. He is up all night and that equals seeing and hearing things that aren't there.

Vikings are a shit show glad I was watching gopher BB instead today.

Bring Black Monday early, Wilfs. Fire Zim and Spielman tomorrow. Let Patterson see if he can rally the troops.

Regardless of who the new coach is, my off-season trade:

-Seahawks get: Dalvin Cook and the 49ers 1st round pick

-49'ers get Kirk Cousins

-Vikings get: Russel Wilson

So ... on the last play of the game with 4 sec left, if Dantzler and Wood just don't give quite as much cushion ..... everything about the game is still exactly as true as it is now .... but we won the game.

On the other hand, that was also true about our win over them at home. Could've very easily have given the Lions their only two wins of the year.

It’s a bit silly to overreact to one loss or one win. If they don’t crap the bed on the last drive and win, my opinion of Zim/Spiel doesn’t change.

With all of that said, before a few weeks ago, Dan Campbell has never called plays in the NFL. He is at the helm of a garbage winless team, and is not long for this world as a head coach. Zim is a highly experienced defensive coach, and can’t gameplan a way to beat a winless team with a play caller with virtually zero experience? Injuries or not, that is damning.

Right now, this is the ceiling of this team. Best possible scenario is sneaking into the playoffs to get bounced in game 1.

Since Spielman was named as as director of player personnel in 2006, the Vikings have won 3 TOTAL playoff games and never more than 1 in a single season.

Burn it to the ground.

Yes, burn it. They have damn good pieces on the offense. The two tackles will be here a while, JJ, Irv Smith coming back etc.

The defense needs to be totally retooled and have a fresh perspective. Green Bay canned their defensive coordinator last year and can now play good defense. I'm not saying that would happen here, but the whole scheme is stale. Also, someone with a new perspective on these players without the loyalty Zimmer has would be great. Barr for example would save us something like 9 million next year on the cap.

Last edited:

This site tells us the current draft order and we are already at 10. Lose out and they'd go all the way to 5 or higher. I'm all for it. The first round appears to be defense heavy.

Last edited:

This site tells us the current draft order and we are already at 10. Lose out and they'd go all the way to 5 or higher. I'm all for it. The first round appears to be defense heavy.

A top 10 pick in each round would be marvelous.

A top 10 pick in each round would be marvelous.
Get the 6th or 7th pick, then trade back to 10 or 11, and pick up another second rounder.

If they do give Zimmer and Spielmann the boot, they won't be drafting to save their jobs the following year. This new group can be drafting for down the road and stability.

Notice how easily with a win or two, they could be drafting 20th. I never cheer for my teams to lose, but if they do in this situation, I don't flinch, because we draft higher with each loss.

Tight spot. This team has everything to be a 10 win team. You burn it down and it could be down to detroit levels. It’s all there except the wins.

I'd like to see someone tell a room full of 53 guys, and a practice roster, to dump games when they are all playing for their future contracts and livelihoods.

Not going to happen.

I'd like to see someone tell a room full of 53 guys, and a practice roster, to dump games when they are all playing for their future contracts and livelihoods.

Not going to happen.
It's not up to them.

Coaches decide who plays. It's pretty easy to tank. Put in Mond. Done.

Zimmer will never do it while he's coaching, so we won't have to witness it.

He's doing a piss poor job of winning anyway. I'm confident he can get us in the top ten while trying to win.

It's not up to them.

Coaches decide who plays. It's pretty easy to tank. Put in Mond. Done.

Zimmer will never do it while he's coaching, so we won't have to witness it.

He's doing a piss poor job of winning anyway. I'mext confident he can get us in the top ten while trying to win.
That order would have to come from the Wilfs. Then you lose the team. You think if players get thrown under the bus this year they will magically comeback next year motivated and happy? As much as I might agree to go for picks it would destroy the culture.

ESPN chimes in:

Mike Zimmer is in his final weeks as Vikings coach​

Minnesota's up-and-down season hit a new low Sunday, as Zimmer's Vikings became the first team this season to lose to the Lions. The game was loaded with questionable decisions. Zimmer's defense was way too lenient with the Lions even before allowing a 14-play, game-winning drive in the final 1:50.

The 5-7 Vikings are only a couple of weeks removed from an impressive victory over the Packers, and they've had some painful near misses this season, but there's no excusing this latest loss, and questions about whether Zimmer is on the hot seat as his eighth season in Minnesota enters its final stretch are certainly warranted.

The verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION. To be clear: I am not saying Zimmer is going to be fired, either now or after the season. The NFC playoff race is a jumble, and the Vikings could potentially be a couple of good weeks away from being right back in the picture. It's too soon to know for sure what the team will do once the season ends.

But it's certainly realistic to think they would make a change. With quarterback Kirk Cousins entering the final year of his contract, it's possible there could be a lot of changes in Minnesota. Sunday's loss to the Lions was a microcosm of a season that tilts toward disappointing, and if the Vikings don't finish with a flourish, it's entirely possible the Zimmer era could end.

Skol Vikes!!

Tight spot. This team has everything to be a 10 win team. You burn it down and it could be down to detroit levels. It’s all there except the wins.
Rubbish. Detroit is a garbage organization, and are perpetually starting at square one whenever they hire somebody. There is a reason they have been mired in crappiness for decades. Meanwhile, the Vikes have been perpetually relevant even when they had a crap owner in Red McCombs. The problem is they've been in this deathly middle ground of good, not great for a long time. When they've gotten great QB play, they've subsequently had great success (Favre, Cunningham, Culpepper all had great single seasons). Good owners, good stadium, good fan support. Yes, you could hire an absolute disaster of a coach and GM- anybody could. But you gotta roll the dice. They can attract much better candidates at those positions than Detroit can, with much higher likelihood of success.

I like your response but we are making this decision to dump everything due to 30 yrs of history. Nah, this team is close.

Draft high this year but you really aren't starting over. You have a core of irv smith, cook, JJ, the two tackles. The offense should be good going forward.

The defense is a disaster. Bring some new people in with different perspectives, a different scheme, and draft defense.

They could be damn good in a hurry.

KFAN post-game hotline.

Skor North also does their "ventline" after games on youtube with fans calling/skyping in.

I have to say that the post-Lions ventline was not as angry as I expected. fewer drunk fans ranting. More of a disgusted acceptance that the season is down the tubes. Most of the callers want major changes, starting with GM and Coach.

It’s a bit silly to overreact to one loss or one win. If they don’t crap the bed on the last drive and win, my opinion of Zim/Spiel doesn’t change.

With all of that said, before a few weeks ago, Dan Campbell has never called plays in the NFL. He is at the helm of a garbage winless team, and is not long for this world as a head coach. Zim is a highly experienced defensive coach, and can’t gameplan a way to beat a winless team with a play caller with virtually zero experience? Injuries or not, that is damning.
It's not just this game. How many games this year would we have won with a defensive stop late? They've failed in almost every case.

It's not just this game. How many games this year would we have won with a defensive stop late? They've failed in almost every case.
Yes, you are correct. My point was that the circumstances around this loss was especially damning (moreso than to some of the other teams they've lost to).

Since Spielman was named as as director of player personnel in 2006, the Vikings have won 3 TOTAL playoff games
Spielman wasn't GM until 2012.

But anyway, this part of it is obviously valid.

and never more than 1 in a single season.
This part is silly, when you take into consideration for example the 2009 season.

That they got a BYE, won the divisional game, and then lost in the conference championship is to be held against Spielman?

:sneaky: silly argument

It never goes down the way you think it will, does it? (not you you, I mean generally)

We always think of the defense as the rock, and the offense (and Kirk in particular) as the variable.

Complete opposite this year.

Top Bottom