All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Plus the twins had 37 spots on the 40 man after the last day to add people prior to the 40 man roster. This was a hope on the twins part for no real reason.03696EA4-EAEF-4E3C-A5E0-63EEAFA4FA8A.jpg

Twins organization gritting teeth and sticking by Miguel Sano, but for how long?​

His 18 strikeouts are tied for third-most in Major League Baseball. His .079 batting average ranks last. His .158 slugging percentage ranks next-to-last.

Slow starts happen all the time in baseball. Sano's slump feels more pronounced because he gives the impression of being an automatic out when he steps into the box.

Manager Rocco Baldelli's view is that Sano is being selective at the plate and swinging at good pitches. He's just missing them. Is that supposed to be more reassuring than him chasing pitches out of the zone?

"The kinds of at-bats that he's having don't look any different to me than the at-bats that he normally gets," Baldelli said. "But when he gets a pitch to hit, he's obviously got to hit those pitches."

Sano sat out the first game before being asked to pinch-hit in the seventh (last inning) with a runner at second and the Twins trailing by one run.

He struck out on three pitches.

Win Twins!!
Just super worried about having a David Ortiz: Part 2 movie :p

Outside of what...maybe 2 innings our starting rotation has been pretty solid all year.

Plus the twins had 37 spots on the 40 man after the last day to add people prior to the 40 man roster. This was a hope on the twins part for no real reason.View attachment 12523
I'm not gonna lie. The continued consternation over Baddoo is somewhat perplexing. I have no problem calling out the Twins when deserved (which has been plenty over the years). But he currently has 31 official AB's this season, and has only started against a lefty once, in which he went 0-4. Previous to this stint in the majors, the highest he's been is high-A ball. I think it's a fair assessment to say the Twins probably didn't think anybody would be poaching him and keeping him in the bigs for an entire season. How many players jump from high-A to MLB and stick for an entire season? I would bet very few. He's played in rookie leagues and A ball, and has a career minor league batting average of .249. There is still a good chance he'll slump and they'll option him down to the minors, at which point they could lose him if the Twins want him back.

Last year the Twins raked in the Ws at home in the regular season, going 24-7 for a gaudy win pct of .774. They played in front of nobody, except in front of a few cardboard cutouts behind the plate.

In 1 homestand, they are only 2 losses away from equaling last years L total.

Clearly, it's the fan's fault.

I'm not gonna lie. The continued consternation over Baddoo is somewhat perplexing. I have no problem calling out the Twins when deserved (which has been plenty over the years). But he currently has 31 official AB's this season, and has only started against a lefty once, in which he went 0-4. Previous to this stint in the majors, the highest he's been is high-A ball. I think it's a fair assessment to say the Twins probably didn't think anybody would be poaching him and keeping him in the bigs for an entire season. How many players jump from high-A to MLB and stick for an entire season? I would bet very few. He's played in rookie leagues and A ball, and has a career minor league batting average of .249. There is still a good chance he'll slump and they'll option him down to the minors, at which point they could lose him if the Twins want him back.
I would rather have him than Cave. Plus he’s a lefty and the twins could use a lefty bat right now. I am just so done with Jake cave playing as he’s not good at defense and not good at the plate. At least Badoo would bring you a lefty hitter to pinch hit. Plus maybe he could play first base when big fatty can’t hit half of his weight right now.

It just seems so odd to cast aside a guy you drafted in the second round of the mlb draft in 2016.

he’s had injury problems like basically every top prospect in the twins organization.

plus if you wanna manipulate larnach’s service time, which is ridiculous to worry about something 6 years down the road. Badoo could have been a perfect person to play now and not worry about his service time.

Yeah. He's more likely to be the 2nd coming of Glenn Williams than Johan Santana. I'm not concerned. The rule 5 is like buying a lottery ticket. Sometimes you hit on one. It doesn't mean the other team made a mistake.

Thorpe starting tonight due to the double-header. Why him and not Dobnak?

They had to insert someone as they aren't going to pitch Maeda or Berrios on 3 days rest in April. But Dobnak is basically a waste in the bullpen.
I complete agree...I think the was the coddle pitchers is ridiculous....Cody Stashek has been decent and pitched a few innings. His reward is a trip down to triple a for 10 days.

They didn't cast him aside, they took a calculated risk and lost him.
All I will say is they could have found room to add him to the 40 man and not lost a quality player. I don’t like giving up on that potential for free over keeping someone like cave or adding Garlick as a waiver claim. And for all I know Badoo will not be a good major leaguer, but man it’s tough to just lose those tickets for nothing. You would have thought they could have packaged him and anther outfielder like Rooker for an arm.

Buxton out of the line-up again. Time to DL him.

They cannot sign him to an extension. Play him out through the next two years and call it a day.

Buxton out of the line-up again. Time to DL him.

They cannot sign him to an extension. Play him out through the next two years and call it a day.
Don’t worry- if the Twins sign him to an extension, he’ll perpetuate his history and be injured every year. If they don’t, he’ll become a perennial all-star and average 500 AB/year. Cuz MN sports.

Cave is terrible. Why not let one of the young guys play everyday with the injuries?

Cave is terrible. Why not let one of the young guys play everyday with the injuries?
Could have had Badoo but they didn’t protect him...cave must have incriminating pictures of someone to still be on this team as a rule 5 draft guy like 4 years ago.

All this talk about outfield depth and they have Jake Cave and Kyle Garlick playing in the outfield on like the 18th game of the year. Both guys should never play in the same game unless they are pitch hitting.

Don’t worry- if the Twins sign him to an extension, he’ll perpetuate his history and be injured every year. If they don’t, he’ll become a perennial all-star and average 500 AB/year. Cuz MN sports.
Eventually you gotta ask why the medical teams with the twins is doing. Either Rocco is just super protective of people and won’t play them unless they are 100% or the medical staff with the twins is terrible. They just seem to have so many tweaks and pulls.

All I will say is they could have found room to add him to the 40 man and not lost a quality player. I don’t like giving up on that potential for free over keeping someone like cave or adding Garlick as a waiver claim. And for all I know Badoo will not be a good major leaguer, but man it’s tough to just lose those tickets for nothing. You would have thought they could have packaged him and anther outfielder like Rooker for an arm.
They gambled with Badoo's injury history that nobody would pick him up. The Tigers took a flier.

Hindsight is 50/50.

We stinks. I really wanna like this team but you can’t keep putting 5 out of your 9 regulars out in the field everyday and expecting to win. This just seems like lackadaisical managing and I know it’s a marathon not a sprint. As Yogi Berra said it’s getting late early.

Great. Simmons is an anti-vaxxer. First him, now this.

Great. Simmons is an anti-vaxxer. First him, now this.
A healthy number of reasons why a person would not feel comfortable getting the vaccine, but Howie is going to label Simmons for the rest of his life. Nice work. This is where we are today. I couldn't imagine viewing the world through the lens that you do

So, the Twins' games on Saturday and Sunday were ppd. Just announced that Monday's game at Oakland is ppd. Possible DH on Tues. FWIW - one of the positive tests was Garlick -and he was vaccinated on April 8th. (J & J I think.) But need 2 wks to be considered "fully vaccinated."

If they have all had the option to be vaccinated, why are we postponing games?

I was literally thinking the same thing, for weeks now. NHL teams (Vancouver and now Colorado) have been and are postponing multiple games and who in the world knows exactly why. Cosmetic theater essentially.

Not all of them were vaccinated, and most of the ones who were only occurred on 4/9.

The NFL is likely going to mandate it. There's already fights about it.

Top Bottom