All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Is the ink dry on Dobnak's contract?
The one that pays him a whopping $9 million over 6 years? I don't think the Pohlads are sweating that one. They pay Josh Donaldson more per AB.

Arraez looks amazing at the dish so far - seems like he just tweaked something today in his third AB.

If he keeps hitting at this clip, then it will hard not to have in the lineup as a regular; maybe Kiriloff spends most of the time in the minors this year?

Arraez seems very capable of finishing in the Top 5 in the batting race of maybe even win it; plus i love him at leadoff. In the broadcast for the first game (I think), one of announcers mentioned that one of Bell's last conversations with Rocko was that Arraez should be the leadoff hitter
Let's pump the brakes here a bit. I like Arraez's approach at the plate a lot; pretty much the antithesis of most modern hitters. I like that there are now a couple more guys that are capable of producing runs via something other than a HR. Diversifying in how you produce runs is good when the longball isn't happening.

I remember a game in which Dick tossed a softball to Bert, basically saying how he thought it was a foregone conclusion how Danny Santana was going to be competing for batting titles after his rookie year of hitting .319. IIRC, his statement was something like "his approach at the plate is slump proof, and ensures he will hit for a high average for a long time". Bert clearly thought Dick was smoking something, and just said, "let's wait and see". Santana never came close to sniffing .319 the rest of his career.

Let's pump the brakes here a bit. I like Arraez's approach at the plate a lot; pretty much the antithesis of most modern hitters. I like that there are now a couple more guys that are capable of producing runs via something other than a HR. Diversifying in how you produce runs is good when the longball isn't happening.

I remember a game in which Dick tossed a softball to Bert, basically saying how he thought it was a foregone conclusion how Danny Santana was going to be competing for batting titles after his rookie year of hitting .319. IIRC, his statement was something like "his approach at the plate is slump proof, and ensures he will hit for a high average for a long time". Bert clearly thought Dick was smoking something, and just said, "let's wait and see". Santana never came close to sniffing .319 the rest of his career.
I also like that I can see his skill and he and Polanco add a good one two punch at the top of the order - I bet Nellie digs it to.

Specifically regarding Arraez, one of The Athletic"s writers last year picked him to win a batting title (per Covid) and this year a different one has. I do remember thinking Disco Danny Ford was the second coming of someone. Sidebar: we need more nicknames in sports.

What the Buck!!

114 off the bat and 451 footer (2 450 this season).

Last edited:

Twins lose in 10th.

Twins get a runner thrown out at the plate in the top of the 10th on the bleepin' contact play, then former Twins' prospect Baddoo drives in winning run in bottom of 10th.

Not a big fan of the "start the 10th with a runner on 2nd" rule - but as long as it's here, I would automatically start the inning by walking a man to set up a force play or double play. the runner on 1st does not matter. the only goal is to keep the runner on 2nd from scoring. So walk a guy to set up force plays on the infield.

Twins lose in 10th.

Twins get a runner thrown out at the plate in the top of the 10th on the bleepin' contact play, then former Twins' prospect Baddoo drives in winning run in bottom of 10th.

Not a big fan of the "start the 10th with a runner on 2nd" rule - but as long as it's here, I would automatically start the inning by walking a man to set up a force play or double play. the runner on 1st does not matter. the only goal is to keep the runner on 2nd from scoring. So walk a guy to set up force plays on the infield.

i can see doing it after 3 o4 innings without scoring then go to the runner on 2nd.

Let's win tomorrow and get the series, i'll take 2 out of 3.

If I am the visiting team and failed to score in the Top half of the 10th, I would likely walk the leadoff batter as well in the bottom of the inning, unless it set up a real bad pitcher/hitter matchup.

The Twins are undefeated in regulation so far. Too bad they don't hand out consolation points like the NHL does.

Polanco should have scored on Cruz's single in the top of the 10th. I hate holding him there.

And Sano needs a trip to the minors when Donaldson comes back. As lost at the plate as ever.

Polanco should have scored on Cruz's single in the top of the 10th. I hate holding him there.

And Sano needs a trip to the minors when Donaldson comes back. As lost at the plate as ever.
I think Polanco was scared he would have gotten thrown out again at the plate, LOL, but you're right you have to send him.

It's worth my subscription to just watch Nelly hit!!

Twins finish off the Detroit series with a narrow 3-2 win to take the series. Maeda was damn solid again, as was the rest of the pen, yes, including Colome.

Yikes, a few guys off to some really slow starts, including Polanco and Garver. Damn... It's early though!

Twins finish off the Detroit series with a narrow 3-2 win to take the series. Maeda was damn solid again, as was the rest of the pen, yes, including Colome.

Yikes, a few guys off to some really slow starts, including Polanco and Garver. Damn... It's early though!
Polanco was the hero today though.

Nelly got it done with his wheels today. Legged out a 2 out infield grounder and wound up scoring from 1st on Garlick's double in the 6th.
Polanco had some good swings today and our starting pitching has been amazing thus far, can't wait to see how it fars against some better teams.

Hot take: Rocco's new-age unwillingness to bunt has cost this team wins. 0-3 now in extra innings.

Hot take: Rocco's new-age unwillingness to bunt has cost this team wins. 0-3 now in extra innings.

All three losses in the 10th inning. Twins can't score....opposing team converts.

All three losses in the 10th inning. Twins can't score....opposing team converts.
Twins' lineup does not handle 'situational' hitting. outside of Arraez and Cruz, most of the lineup is boom or bust. If Sano keeps stinking up the joint, the Twins are going to have to look at options.

Sadly—but this is the reality—Sano’s batting struggles across three seasons have reached about 75 games: 2019 ALDS; 2020 season & post season &10 games in 2021. Given the Twins’ investment what is the answer? Watching too much baseball this weekend it seems his command of the strike zone is decent but he continues to miss (not putting into play) the hittable pitches—to my untrained eye. Roughly speaking there have been about ten pitches in the series in this category and he has one hit. I await with hope one of his hot steaks but the sample size is growing ominously long. (And he has worked hard to become a solid fielding first baseman.)

Twins need a new closer and they need one now. Colome blow the game and Seattle lead 8-6.

Seager hits a three run HR off Colome in the 9th to give the Mariners their 8th straight run and the lead 8-6.

Already blew the first game of the year too.

We have him, Robles. As I noted earlier in this thread Colme's slider has no bite and is very flat, I'd spot him in low pressure situations and use Robles as my primary closer - his stuff has looked much sharper.

Last edited:

This seems to happen way too much the last few years. Get out to a big lead early on, then the offense shuts down and the pitching blows it.

We have him, Robles. As I noted earlier in this thread Colme's slider has not bite and is very flat, I'd spot him in low pressure situations and use Robles as my primary closer - his stuff has looked much sharper.

Taylor Rogers was a little shaky last year....but he was great the year prior in the closing role.

The confidence ranking of the bullpen right now is:
Rogers
Robles
Duffy
Alcala
Thielbar
Stashak
Colome.

Continuing to use Colome as the closer is a joke.

And Sano is cooked. As soon as Rooker comes off the DL he should be the primary 1B. Or call up Kierloff.

Game cancelled today, does not appear to be due to the weather.

Top Bottom