All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

If they have all had the option to be vaccinated, why are we postponing games?
Even if athletes get the vaccine people will still be getting COVID. We need sports to just get to a place where they say F it and let the games continue. Sit the infected like you would if it was the flu or something and play the games.

Even if athletes get the vaccine people will still be getting COVID. We need sports to just get to a place where they say F it and let the games continue. Sit the infected like you would if it was the flu or something and play the games.

This is basically what I'm getting at. Why are we not at this point already, and when will we get there?

This is basically what I'm getting at. Why are we not at this point already, and when will we get there?
They will have to get there much quicker than the rest of the world. People can be instructed to keep wearing masks, work from home, or whatever for decades if we can't get back to normal, but sports can't do a whole lot more of adjusting. If they can, they will have to keep getting creative.

under MLB policy, a team is considered "fully vaccinated" when (not sure on this) 80 or 85% of the roster/traveling party has been vaccinated - AND the vaccinations took place at least 2 weeks ago.

The Twins don't fall into that category yet because a lot of the players were vaccinated on April 8th or 9th - less than 2 weeks ago.

As noted, being vaccinated does not mean that you are immune - it just means that you are less likely to have severe symptoms.

as of Monday morning, the team is going through another round of testing and contact tracing. if everything checks out OK, the plan is to play a DH at Oakland on Tuesday, starting at 5:30pm Central time. (3:30 on the West Coast)

So this brings up another question...I haven't heard what the policy is with testing post vaccination. If a player has the vax and its been longer than 2 weeks do they still get tested regularly?

Mostly 22-32 yr old world class athletes with access to some of the best medical resources in the world; postponing games just plain makes zero sense and how many of them are or are not vaccinated should have little to do with the decision. Science though...

So this brings up another question...I haven't heard what the policy is with testing post vaccination. If a player has the vax and its been longer than 2 weeks do they still get tested regularly?
I'm guessing so for awhile at least.

Mostly 22-32 yr old world class athletes with access to some of the best medical resources in the world; postponing games just plain makes zero sense and how many of them are or are not vaccinated should have little to do with the decision. Science though...

I agree, but there are older coaches you still need to worry about. But as long as they have been vaccinated, there should be no more postponements, sitting out for contact tracing, etc.

Have you paid attention to what happened to Vancouver in the NHL? The variants are making younger people sick. They're not going to say "damn the torpedoes play ball!" after positive tests anytime soon. Especially when most clubs will hit the vaccination thresholds soon.

Have you paid attention to what happened to Vancouver in the NHL? The variants are making younger people sick. They're not going to say "damn the torpedoes play ball!" after positive tests anytime soon. Especially when most clubs will hit the vaccination thresholds soon.

It doesn't apply to Ogee, cause he's got this -

1618884453863.png

Sounds like the DH tomorrow is on. We know Simmons and Garlick are out. They won't tell us who the other players are because Rocco thinks he's Bill Belichick.

Not sure if anyone listens to the Skor North twins show but Jake Dupree went on a great rant about how the twins keep saying how much outfield depth they have. They have basically traded away or lost 3 guys that are starting in the majors and they went into a season with Jake Cave as the back up center fielder for a guy who gets hurt all the time. Basically they a saying Alex Kiriloff come and save our season after we manipulated your service time.

I truly can’t understand why the front office and the manager has not faced more criticism for all the questionable moves they have made. These guys were supposed to be the pitcher whispers in Cleveland and now they are throwing Matt Shoemaker out there and Randy Dobnek. Where are the 25 year old rookies that are ready to pitch.

Not sure if anyone listens to the Skor North twins show but Jake Dupree went on a great rant about how the twins keep saying how much outfield depth they have. They have basically traded away or lost 3 guys that are starting in the majors and they went into a season with Jake Cave as the back up center fielder for a guy who gets hurt all the time. Basically they a saying Alex Kiriloff come and save our season after we manipulated your service time.

I truly can’t understand why the front office and the manager has not faced more criticism for all the questionable moves they have made. These guys were supposed to be the pitcher whispers in Cleveland and now they are throwing Matt Shoemaker out there and Randy Dobnek. Where are the 25 year old rookies that are ready to pitch.
Looking at the roster, the only home-grown starter from the Falvine era is Dobnak. They've been here since October of 2016. I know baseball and the draft/rookie free agent signings are a long play, but it would seem maybe some of the rookie free agents or college pitchers they've selected in the past 5 years would be ready by now. Looking at their drafts, they have gone HEAVY on position players. The first pitcher they've selected in each year is thus:

2017: 3rd pick
2018: 4th pick
2019: 3rd pick
2020: 3rd pick

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the most accomplished player at the MLB level drafted from the Falvine era so far is Ryan Jeffers. Dobnak was an undrafted free agent, but I suppose he may be the most accomplished overall.

FWIW, Baddoo has 13k's in his last 5 games.

edit: looking back at the 2017 draft where Royce Lewis was selected 1 overall, there hasn't been much to come out of that draft as of yet at the MLB level. At least in the top 10 picks or so, the only player that has had any sort of impact is Hiura for the Brewers at 9 overall. I would assume that if the 2020 minor season wasn't cancelled that more of these players might be on major league rosters in 2021. But as of now, it's rather unimpressive.

Last edited:

Looking at the roster, the only home-grown starter from the Falvine era is Dobnak. They've been here since October of 2016. I know baseball and the draft/rookie free agent signings are a long play, but it would seem maybe some of the rookie free agents or college pitchers they've selected in the past 5 years would be ready by now. Looking at their drafts, they have gone HEAVY on position players. The first pitcher they've selected in each year is thus:

2017: 3rd pick
2018: 4th pick
2019: 3rd pick
2020: 3rd pick

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the most accomplished player at the MLB level drafted from the Falvine era so far is Ryan Jeffers. Dobnak was an undrafted free agent, but I suppose he may be the most accomplished overall.

FWIW, Baddoo has 13k's in his last 5 games.
Cave has 17k’s over 49 plate appearances a 40% K rate. Sano has 19k’s over 43 plate appearances, so they as an organization must be fine with K’s as both of these guys keep getting everyday playing time. I also find it scary that cave has more plate appearances than Sano.

I would still take Badoo given his age and injury issues he has not had time to develop. Jake cave is a 28 year old known commodity at this point and they appear to be enthralled with his well below replacement player value.

The issue is not Badoo. The issue is that either Kieriloff or Larnach or Rooker when healthy or even Broxton should be on the roster instead of Cave.

from mlb.com

Here's a look at the Twins top prospects:
1. Royce Lewis, SS (MLB No. 17)
2. Alex Kirilloff, OF/1B (MLB No. 26)
3. Trevor Larnach, OF (MLB No. 80)
4. Jordan Balazovic, RHP (MLB No. 97)
5. Jhoan Duran, RHP

Let's remember - no minor league season last year. All the minor leaguers basically lost a year of development. a few got to work out at alternate sites, but that's no substitute for playing a full season. so all teams, including the Twins, are going to want to see these guys pitch some innings before even considering bringing them up - and the minor league season hasn't started yet.

depending on where the Twins are at in the standings at mid-season, I would not be surprised if some of the minor-leaguers get a shot with the big-league roster.

Kepler and Thielbar are the other two with Covid. Rooker is back.

Cave is ok as a reserve. But him playing everyday, even for just a week or two is ridiculous when you have all the young talent. What does Larnach need to do to get a chance? He’s 24 now.

Vancouver had multiple players getting very sick. The variant is a different animal for younger people.

Cave is ok as a reserve. But him playing everyday, even for just a week or two is ridiculous when you have all the young talent. What does Larnach need to do to get a chance? He’s 24 now.
Cave is terrible and just seems to get a free pass like he is some hall of fame player.

On the plus side, if this ineptitude keeps up for another week, i'll save the $24.99/month that I am charged.

Brent Rooker ain’t an outfielder. For a team that said oh we have all this outfield depth. I’m not sure they have any depth.

Cave has 17k’s over 49 plate appearances a 40% K rate. Sano has 19k’s over 43 plate appearances, so they as an organization must be fine with K’s as both of these guys keep getting everyday playing time. I also find it scary that cave has more plate appearances than Sano.

I would still take Badoo given his age and injury issues he has not had time to develop. Jake cave is a 28 year old known commodity at this point and they appear to be enthralled with his well below replacement player value.
Jake Cave making a run at Caleb Joseph RBI futility...

I paid for the year and wondering if I can get a refund.
I think they need a shakeup soon, not sure what it is. Sano to the minor? Make Arraez your lead off hitter and quit moving him all over the lineup. What is the rational for that any way?

As Yogi quipped, it gets late soon.

I think they need a shakeup soon, not sure what it is. Sano to the minor? Make Arraez your lead off hitter and quit moving him all over the lineup. What is the rational for that any way?

As Yogi quipped, it gets late soon.

Sano to the minors is not an available option, too much service time. He would have to be traded or waived outright.

Sano to the minors is not an available option, too much service time. He would have to be traded or waived outright.
Waive him. No one will claim him. If they do, God Bless.

Top Bottom