All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Nearing the 3 hour mark and only through 6 innings the Twins are ahead of the A's 10-9. I think they blocked the Extra Point.

What a grab by Buxton, had to sell out for that one.

Colome shuold not be closing games for the Twins. going to extra.

Oakland wins it on the bottom of the 10th on a throwing error by our 3rd basemen.

That throw wasn’t even close. Another horrible loss. Pinch running Donaldson ended up being a terrible mistake. Only thing I could do is laugh.

Micro manager strikes again. Pitch ran for Donaldson to start the inning meaning Arreaz had to move to third for no real good reason. It was a nice quick game too only took 4:15.

That throw wasn’t even close. Another horrible loss. Pinch running Donaldson ended up being a terrible mistake. Only thing I could do is laugh.
The ball gonna find you on the field...not many losses in baseball can be blamed on the manager, but this one can be.

Rocco is proving to be a mistake. What a joke.

How about pulling starters who are throwing gems after 80(some) pitches?

Twins had 18 hits today and Jake Cave was 0-5 with 3K’s. But he’s scrappy so we just can’t send him down even though he has options left.

Robot Manager continuing to run Colome out there is a joke.

The Aloof Doofus strikes again. Rocco and his two buddies upstairs who pull the strings can pack their bags. Get people in here who understand baseball. The war is over. The nerds lose again.

Why didn't Arraez just scamper over and touch 3rd base? Looked like he could have beat the runner to the bag easily.

This team has no desire to win outside of about 3-5 guys. Stupid in game decisions aside that is on the manager. I still think they're a good team and can bounce back but this month is going to really hurt them bad. If they miss the playoffs by one game and it comes down to not having someone like Kiriloff up and trotting Cave's worthless ass out there all season it will be kind of funny. Oh well at least we'll have that extra year with Kiriloff!!!

This team has no desire to win outside of about 3-5 guys. Stupid in game decisions aside that is on the manager. I still think they're a good team and can bounce back but this month is going to really hurt them bad. If they miss the playoffs by one game and it comes down to not having someone like Kiriloff up and trotting Cave's worthless ass out there all season it will be kind of funny. Oh well at least we'll have that extra year with Kiriloff!!!

Umm, regardless of the Kirloff/Cave situation, the bigger impact on the Twins start so far is their pitching stinks. If Maeda doesn't return to something similar to last year, they are in a big hurt.

Regarding Kiriloff specifically, I don't think it's just the service time. He only played 1 competitive game in 2020, had an awful Spring Training and looked really tentative in LF last week in the games he did play at Target Field. I don't think he would have had a significant influence on the big league club so far.

Last edited:

Umm, regardless of the Kirloff/Cave situation, the bigger impact on the Twins start so far is their pitching stinks.
Bullpen has been a shit show...outside of yesterday and maybe 1 or 2 other starts the starting rotation has been fine. Maeda kept moving his arm around like it wasn't loose or something. I hope he isn't hurt.

I don't care how much he struggled in spring training, not starting Kiriloff as the every day LF is a joke. He's not going to be any worse than what we've seen so far, and his upside is significantly higher.

Umm, regardless of the Kirloff/Cave situation, the bigger impact on the Twins start so far is their pitching stinks. If Maeda doesn't return to something similar to last year, they are in a big hurt.

Regarding Kiriloff specifically, I don't think it's just the service time. He only played 1 competitive game in 2020, had an awful Spring Training and looked really tentative in LF last week in the games he did play at Target Field. I don't think he would have had a significant influence on the big league club so far.
Cave is currently batting .122, with no home runs, no RBI's, and 21 strikeouts in 49 AB's. I'm confident in almost anyone in our farm system to give us those numbers yet alone our top prospect.

Yesterday's loss was embarrassing.

Having a "players coach" is fine when you are winning, but this team needs someone who will hold the players accountable and I'm not sure Rocco has shown the willingness to do that. I hope he does.

Buxton, Cruz and a couple of others deserve better from their teammates.

Win Twins!!

Cave is currently batting .122, with no home runs, no RBI's, and 21 strikeouts in 49 AB's. I'm confident in almost anyone in our farm system to give us those numbers yet alone our top prospect.

I do not disagree that Cave is dreadful. I just don't think the few extra hits that Kiriloff might have had, would have moved the needle as far as victories.

Kiriloff hit .129 in Spring Training by the way. That didn't scream that he was deserving of a roster spot.

I do not disagree that Cave is dreadful. I just don't think the few extra hits that Kiriloff might have had, would have moved the needle as far as victories.

Kiriloff hit .129 in Spring Training by the way. That didn't scream that he was deserving of a roster spot.
You're not wrong. The Cave situation is just one example of how this team has been terrible. Maybe Kiriloff does nothing and maybe he has 3 or 4 home runs right now. We've lost some close games this year and having a guaranteed out in the lineup really isn't helping.

With that said Cave sucking is one of multiple issues but was an easy one to address in my opinion.

Some moves need to happen immediately. Send down Cave and DL Sano. Call up Kierloff and Larnach. Get Stashak back up. He's not great but he's better than what we're running out there. Going forward:

Closer-Rodgers
8th-Duffy
7th-Stashak/Thielbar
6th and before: Pray

LF: Arreaz
2B: Polanco
3B: Donaldson
DH: Cruz
CF: Buxton
RF: Kepler
C: Garver
1B: Kierloff
SS: Simmons

Bench: Astudillo, Larnach, Rooker, Riddle

Sano can come back after a "rehab" stint if he proves he can hit AAA pitching.

The advantage of using Kiriloff instead of Cave is that at least he is getting meaningful AB's. With no current minor league games, he is getting none. Even if his stats aren't any better than Cave, he is seeing more major league pitching, which should help him develop.

Small tidbit of trivia...

Looking at the box score yesterday, I noticed the winning pitcher for the A's, Guerra. Had to do a double-take and a Google search to boot. Yes, that's the same Deolis Guerra that the Twins got in return as one of the prospects way back in the Johan Santana trade. They botched that trade in a big way as well. Could have had some really good pitchers from the Red Sox as I recall.

Holy blast-from-the-past, Batman!

My daughter used to roam the outfield with his sister at Mounds View. Happy for Sam but sad, too, because I was praying that the Twins would draft him.

Top Bottom