All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Great article from The Athletic on Dobnak's addition of a slider.

New year, new slider for Twins’ Randy Dobnak — ‘Don’t they say strikeouts are sexy?’​

Randy Dobnak started throwing his slider differently three weeks ago.

It began with an idea from the Twins research and development department, as their analysis showed that Dobnak’s trusty sinker paired very well with his slider, if only he could figure out a way to add more break to the breaking ball.

Always willing to try something new, the 26-year-old right-hander altered his mechanics so that he threw the slider with his hand facing up rather than down — supinated instead of pronated.

First, he tinkered with it during a bullpen session on March 4 and noticed an immediate change in how the pitch moved. The next day Dobnak threw his new, supinated slider in a game versus the Braves. He got a bunch of swinging strikes in 2 1/3 scoreless innings. He was a believer.

Dobnak worked more on the pitch and then took it into another game, versus the Rays on March 13. Three scoreless, one-hit innings and six strikeouts later, it was obvious he had something. So obvious, in fact, that Dobnak was asked in the postgame media session about his newfound bat-missing ability.

“I’m actually a strikeout guy,” Dobnak joked. “New year, new me.”

But he’d looked so good against Tampa Bay, and his slider generated so many swinging strikes, that even his usual self-deprecating humor couldn’t mask his excitement about the new-look pitch.

“I’ve been working on getting more break on my slider,” Dobnak said. “I guess it was working pretty well. I’m pretty happy with the results.”

Pressed on what he meant by “working on,” Dobnak revealed the timeline.

“Just something we kind of worked on the day before my last start,” Dobnak said. “Like, ‘Hey, try this. Play catch with it, throw it in a bullpen, take it right into a game.’ My last outing was last Friday, so I guess it started last Thursday. So what’s that? Nine days? Eight or nine.”

At that point, he must have noticed some shocked looks from media members on the Zoom session, because Dobnak went back into self-deprecation mode.

“Did you like it?”

Six days later, he put the new slider to the test again in another matchup with the Braves. No earned runs and just one hit allowed in 3 1/3 innings. And five more strikeouts, bringing Dobnak’s total to 13 strikeouts in nine innings since the word “supination” entered his life.

“He’s looked great,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “His spring training has gone phenomenally. Obviously. Visually, it’s impressive. The numbers, if you were to look at them, they’re impressive, but how he’s throwing the ball, how he’s going about his business, is typical Randy Dobnak form. Couldn’t be more impressed with what he’s been able to come in and do.”

“I mean, don’t they say strikeouts are sexy?” Dobnak said.

Dobnak has no plans to abandon his bread-and-butter pitch, a heavy, groundball-inducing sinker that he rode to the majors as an undrafted free agent out of Division-II Alderson Broaddus University in West Virginia.

“That pitch is a weapon to me,” Dobnak said. “I just try to throw it down the middle, and more times than not, they’ll swing over the top of it a little bit and I’ll get a groundball.”

Last year, Dobnak threw his sinker 44 percent of the time on the way to a 6-4 record and 4.05 ERA in 10 starts, providing a much-needed boost to an injury-wrecked Twins rotation. He led all of baseball with a 62.5 percent groundball rate, allowing just three homers in 46 2/3 innings, but Dobnak managed only 5.2 strikeouts per nine innings.

Throwing strikes, and keeping the ball on the ground and in the ballpark, is a straightforward, proven recipe for competency. But it’s also a pitch-to-contact approach that limits upside, because it relies so much on the defense turning balls in play into outs and leaves a pitcher vulnerable to variance, randomness and just plain bad luck.

That’s where the new slider comes in.

“He’s playing with and fiddling with that slider, and finding ways to make it do some slightly different things,” Baldelli said. “But the way he’s spinning it right now is obviously really, really nice.”

Dobnak and the Twins envision it as a put-away weapon, particularly against right-handed hitters, taking advantage of the similar way the sinker and slider appear to come out of his hand or “tunnel” from a batter’s perspective.

“I’m just kind of re-finding it and perfecting it to dive out of the zone rather than staying in the zone a little longer,” Dobnak said. “We’ll get more swings and misses rather than the late foul balls that run up the pitch count.”

He’ll also utilize the slider a little against left-handed hitters as a “backdoor” look, but the basic plan is for Dobnak to complement his worm-killing sinker with sliders versus righties and change-ups versus lefties.

“He’s continually looking at speed differentials, making his off-speed pitches do different things,” Baldelli said. “He does have the ability to manipulate the ball very well. He has a lot of different tricks. He can do different things with the ball. And when you have guys like that, who have tremendous feel, the sky is the limit.”

No matter how good his new slider looks, or how many strikeouts he racks up in spring games, Dobnak is almost surely destined for either the Twins’ bullpen or the Triple-A rotation to begin the season.

On the Twins’ rotation depth chart, he’s behind five veteran starters, each with guaranteed contracts. But that’s nothing new for Dobnak. This time last spring he was no higher than seventh on the same depth chart, but then several of the veterans ahead of him got hurt and Dobnak found himself starting the second game of the season. He ended up making the third-most starts on the team.

“Dobber will be there and will be ready to go when his name is called,” Baldelli said. “He’s obviously been a guy that’s established himself as a quality member of our pitching staff. One way or another, wherever he slots in, however he gets his innings, I’m pretty sure we’re going to find a way to get him involved and to let him pitch us to some wins.”

Dobnak has minor-league options remaining, so he can be sent back and forth from the majors to the minors all season if that’s how the Twins decide to use him. However, with a 3.15 ERA in 75 career innings as a big leaguer, it’s hard to make the case that Dobnak isn’t deserving of an Opening Day job, and even harder to make the argument that he has anything left to prove in the minors.

But such is life as a sixth starter, and as a 26-year-old former non-prospect no one ever expected to be in this position.

“He’s really willing to do pretty much anything and doesn’t complain,” Baldelli said. “Dobnak just continues to move forward no matter what he’s doing. That is really helpful and allows us to spot him in there in different ways. He could help us out of the bullpen, he could help us in two-to-three-inning stints, he could help us on days where we may involve two starters.”

Quotes like that from the manager certainly make it sound likely that Dobnak will be on the Opening Day roster, perhaps in a long-relief role to provide bulk innings as the entire pitching staff tries to reacquaint itself with the workload of a six-month, 162-game grind.

Dobnak is preparing for either role, starting or relieving.

“Obviously, if I get to a two-strike count, the goal is to put them away with a swing and miss,” Dobnak said. “But as far as going for the swings and misses early on, I’m still trying to get early contact, especially if I’m starting, so I can get deeper into the games. But if the opportunity ever comes up to strike a guy out, obviously, I’m going to try and strike him out.”

But seriously, is he a strikeout pitcher now?

“It’s kind of sad you bring it up,” Dobnak said, “because I was trying to do it last year, too.”

It's good that the pitching looks solid. On offense: Sano is hitting about .100 and striking out 50% of the time like always. Kepler is hitting under .100. Kierloff has been demoted already. Woof.

It's good that the pitching looks solid. On offense: Sano is hitting about .100 and striking out 50% of the time like always. Kepler is hitting under .100. Kierloff has been demoted already. Woof.
I think Kiriloff would have been sent down if he was batting 1.000 just for money reasons in the future...should be up by the end of April, but the lineup needs to pick things up. It's a matter of time before Donaldson and Buxton are basically injured forever so we need to be firing right out the gate.

I think Kiriloff would have been sent down if he was batting 1.000 just for money reasons in the future...should be up by the end of April, but the lineup needs to pick things up. It's a matter of time before Donaldson and Buxton are basically injured forever so we need to be firing right out the gate.
There's no $ reason to keep him down. They can theoretically gain a 7th year of team control by keeping him down for a while. But there's a 95% chance that rule gets nuked in the next CBA.

He didn't hit well enough to make the team and hasn't had many real AB's above AA. I'm OK with him going down for now. They need somewhere to get Arreaz AB's until Donaldson gets hurt.

Remember - there was no minor league season last year.

A handful of the better prospects got to work out at some alternate site in case they were needed, but for the most part, the majority of minor league players basically lost a year of development.

So nobody should be surprised if a lot of young players struggle early this season as they get re-acclimated to playing full-time against major league competition.

Even for the regular major leagues, there was only a 60-game season.

only 2 Twins players had more than 200 at-bats. Only 2 Twins pitchers worked more than 60 innings.

AND - Spring training is shorter this year. Less time to prepare.

The first month of the season could be really messy. There will be some ugly numbers.

There's no $ reason to keep him down. They can theoretically gain a 7th year of team control by keeping him down for a while. But there's a 95% chance that rule gets nuked in the next CBA.

He didn't hit well enough to make the team and hasn't had many real AB's above AA. I'm OK with him going down for now. They need somewhere to get Arreaz AB's until Donaldson gets hurt.

I'd rather have him come up after mashing it down there and helping his confidence; swinging that stick has a lot to do with that in my experience.

Last edited:

Good - Dobnak's new slider and the swing and misses it was producing in Spring Training (post #31) have reaped many twinkies. Looks they're planning on him being a likely part of our rotation in the future; my guess is he gets several starts his year as I can Happ and Shoemaker aren't the most durable chaps.

His story is what makes sports so compelling and he presents as a cool dude!

So, the Twins send Rooker down and keep Garlick on the 26-man roster. Does not bode well for Rooker. Granted, he might get a chance if there are injuries, but Rooker is not a good defensive player, and the Twins don't need a DH, so he might get leapfrogged by some other young players who have a little more position flexibility, including Larnach.

Still not sure about the bullpen. I hope they don't miss Trevor May too much. Either Colome or Robles has to fill that role as a guy who can get a key strikeout in a high-leverage situation in the 7th or 8th inning. And Taylor Rogers has to have a big bounce-back season.

Interesting that the Twins have support NW Wisconsin. I get that is closer to Target Field there, but I always get the sense that one foot over the boarder is Brewer territory.

Also unique is Iowa, getting sliced up by the Twins/Cubs/Royals/Cards.

Just got my free mlb through t-mobile. No FSN this year, but vpn and mlb should be my ticket to streaming all the games. Fingers crossed.
Pretty sure that worked...i used to have it for watching a lot of baseball when i was big into fantasy and i think the VPN worked for the twins if i remember right.

Interesting that the Twins have support NW Wisconsin. I get that is closer to Target Field there, but I always get the sense that one foot over the boarder is Brewer territory.

I would argue the Twins have the most bleed into Wisconsin than any of our pro or collegiate teams, just from my own observations (well, maybe second to the Loons). It helps that the Brewers sucked for a really long time, while the Twins were winning world series. You see a fair amount of Twins fans as you cross into Wisconsin, whereas there are virtually zero Vikings or Gophers fans. But the Packers and Badgers have been good for so long, it's not really a surprise.

In northern Wisconsin I think it has to do with the reach of Duluth radio into NW Wisconsin and even a bit into the UP.

So, the Twins send Rooker down and keep Garlick on the 26-man roster. Does not bode well for Rooker. Granted, he might get a chance if there are injuries, but Rooker is not a good defensive player, and the Twins don't need a DH, so he might get leapfrogged by some other young players who have a little more position flexibility, including Larnach.

Still not sure about the bullpen. I hope they don't miss Trevor May too much. Either Colome or Robles has to fill that role as a guy who can get a key strikeout in a high-leverage situation in the 7th or 8th inning. And Taylor Rogers has to have a big bounce-back season.
Rooker will be the 1B sooner or later after Sano either injures himself or bats .100 with 55% strikeouts the first month or two.

Looks like it's heavily influenced by media market. Those counties are almost all the Duluth/Superior WI TV market. Likewise the two Brewer counties in SW MN are in the Eau Claire, WI market. The Twins counties in IA are the Rochester/Austin/Mason City and Sioux City markets.

I would argue the Twins have the most bleed into Wisconsin than any of our pro or collegiate teams, just from my own observations (well, maybe second to the Loons). It helps that the Brewers sucked for a really long time, while the Twins were winning world series. You see a fair amount of Twins fans as you cross into Wisconsin, whereas there are virtually zero Vikings or Gophers fans. But the Packers and Badgers have been good for so long, it's not really a surprise.
I imagine there are a fair # of Twins/Packer fans in WI. I have/had two uncles in SD who were the same. They became fans of the Packers before the Vikings existed. But the Twins existed before the Brewers and were better for most of their history.

Just got my free mlb through t-mobile. No FSN this year, but vpn and mlb should be my ticket to streaming all the games. Fingers crossed.
I love the T-Mobile app.

I do have 1 pet peeve though, at the beginning of spring training there was a sale and free shipping offer via the MLB store, and I got sucked in and bought a Washington Senators (Harmon Killebrew style) hat and a Montreal Expos hat. Also looked for a Minneapolis Millers lid, but all they had were fitted hats, size 7 only which is too small, so no go.

I did this on my phone, got them within a week and everything is dandy with the caps. The problem is I get hit with ads (especially for GH) for the Senators/Expos caps which I already bought and the Millers one, even though they still only have size 7.

This is supposed to be "smart technology". Hit me up for something I don't already have or will fit on my noggin!

Looks like it's heavily influenced by media market. Those counties are almost all the Duluth/Superior WI TV market. Likewise the two Brewer counties in SW MN are in the Eau Claire, WI market. The Twins counties in IA are the Rochester/Austin/Mason City and Sioux City markets.

Well, one of those SE MN counties is Houston County, which is just across the river from LaCrosse, WI. I know the local cable TV company carries Eau Claire and LaCrosse TV stations, but also carries the Rochester MN TV station. But - most of the TV viewing for baseball is on the regional sports networks, and I'm not sure if they get Fox Sports North or Fox Sports Wisconsin.

as far as radio, I think a LaCrosse station carries the Brewers, but Winona MN radio carries the Twins.
I do know that a lot of those river towns have split loyalties, including a lot of Packer fans in MN, as awful as that may be.

Mets/Nats, 1st game ppd due to CoVid protocols. They hope to make it up on Friday.

Mets/Nats, 1st game ppd due to CoVid protocols. They hope to make it up on Friday.

Thankfully this should be a short-term issue. No reason all players can't be vaccinated by May or June at the latest.

Opening Day Line-up: I love Arreaz leading off. I hate Sano hitting clean-up though.

TWINS LINEUP

Luis Arraez, LF

Josh Donaldson, 3B

Jorge Polanco, 2B

Miguel Sano, 1B

Max Kepler, RF

Mitch Garver, C

Byron Buxton, CF

Andrelton Simmons, SS

Kenta Maeda, P

Opening day always makes me think of a buddy of mine.

if the Twins happened to lose the first game of the season, he would always say "Well, they won't be serving beer at Twins Games this Summer." if someone asked "Why?" - the answer was.....
"because the Twins lost the opener."

(it helps to understand that they used to serve beer in bottles. the vendors would carry around a case of bottles. If you ordered a beer, they would open the bottle and pour it into a glass. those were the days. You could also smoke at the old Met. They sold cigars at the concession stand.)

Donaldson hurt on his first at-bat of the season. Can’t make it up.

2-0 lead going into the bottom of the third.

Anyone else brushing up on their Spanish while taking in the game?

Donaldson hurt on his first at-bat of the season. Can’t make it up.
Watching it...he did a skip step halfway between first and second on his double, however, his stride was fine after that. My guess is he just tweaked it minorly, he should be okay hopefully after a day or two. No sense in not playing it safe now.

Twins look good at the plate so far, good ABs thus far overall!!

Top Bottom