All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Gibby pitched 8 innings and 107 pitches for the Rangers. I was lead to believe that pitcher’s arms would self destruct and fall off at 90 pitches and/or if you pitched into the 8th inning. Or does that only happen if you happen to be pitching for the Twins at the time?

Brandon Waddell is the pick to pitch the 10th inning of the game. A guy that was called up on Monday and gave up 3 runs over 1/3 of an inning yesterday. I am at a loss for what the hell this Bullpen usage is. I would rather see Colome out for the 10th than some guy that doesn’t deserve to be in the majors.

The best part was Waddell was pitching to the same guy that got the home run off of him yesterday. This team is so screwed with a pitching staff/front office that can’t or won’t let them pitch deep into game. Combine that with a terrible bullpen and what do you expect to happen.

Now just for good measure let’s use Alcala so he can’t pitch for a couple of games too...this whole zoom interview thing is terrible as there are so many questions to ask of Rocco and he won’t have to answer any of them. Plus non of the players will have to answer any questions.

A guy like Larnach couldn’t be getting valuable playing time over Cave this whole team? At least if Larnach struggled he’d at least be getting experience.

There have been some really bad losses this year already. Like really bad.

This brain trust was hired cause they could find pitchers. So far they have found nothing. None of their prospects are ready to pitch. Alcala is a dialed starter who has been a failed releivee so far. Buxton is the only player on the team that played in 2019 that has improved since that magical season. That doesn’t bode well for the future.

A guy like Larnach couldn’t be getting valuable playing time over Cave this whole team? At least if Larnach struggled he’d at least be getting experience.

There have been some really bad losses this year already. Like really bad.
Kiriloff was sitting on the bench. It’s not like he could not have hit for Willins. His wrist is not broken and his hand has not been amputated. Rocco just does not seem concerned about the gigantic hole that has been dug this early in the year. They have to play .589 baseball the rest of the season to win 90 games which is probably need for the playoffs. They need to play .534 baseball just to get back to .500.

The best part was Waddell was pitching to the same guy that got the home run off of him yesterday. This team is so screwed with a pitching staff/front office that can’t or won’t let them pitch deep into game. Combine that with a terrible bullpen and what do you expect to happen.
Summoning Rube Waddell would be a better idea...

That can’t be good. Maybe they can call up Keyon Broxton of course they would need a spot on the 40 man and I’m sure the twins won’t be able to find a spot.

Brandon Waddell is the pick to pitch the 10th inning of the game. A guy that was called up on Monday and gave up 3 runs over 1/3 of an inning yesterday. I am at a loss for what the hell this Bullpen usage is. I would rather see Colome out for the 10th than some guy that doesn’t deserve to be in the majors.
Rocco's bullpen and extra innings management is a joke. Using Waddell there is a fireable offense.

Rocco's bullpen and extra innings management is a joke. Using Waddell there is a fireable offense.
I'd say making up some excuse that he had no idea that the pitching coach had already made a trip to the mound last week is a more egregious offense, but I'm really just looking for a way to get rid of this putz.

Waddell made no sense in extras. I get it that Colomé has been demoted out of high leverage situations but he was fresh. If not him then use Alcala and give yourself a chance. Rocco’s losing me quickly

Twins need a bullpen now.
A consistent failure of the front office is to secure quality pitching. Therefore the Twins never have the balance to truly contend for a pennant.

Combine that with an 0-6 record in extra innings, uhhh... not so good.
My guess is that they'll continue to do the same things and assume they're going to start working any day now.

100%... F IT ----give Jorge Alcala a shot at least he throws 99/100.

I went to bed when they went to Taylor naively thinking this was a done deal, Ugh. I can't believe he put Waddell in that situation either, horrible decision -

Rocko improve your best.

The bullpen has lost us 8 games this year. That doesn't even include games where they almost blew it (like Monday night) or games where we were losing big/winning big and they still gave up runs.

This team is so unlikeable.
I got sucked into another month at $25 because of the nice mini-run prior to last night's debacle as my MLB monthly renewed yesterday.

You guys better be at a minimum 500% or 3 games out by the end of May or I'm watch the Mets for free underperform - at least I get to see DeGrom once a week and his sick magic

I got sucked into another month at $25 because of the nice mini-run prior to last night's debacle as my MLB monthly renewed yesterday.

You guys better be at a minimum 500% or 3 games out by the end of May or I'm watch the Mets for free underperform - at least I get to see DeGrom once a week and his sick magic

DeGrom was scratched from his start. Hopefully it's not too serious.

I'd say making up some excuse that he had no idea that the pitching coach had already made a trip to the mound last week is a more egregious offense, but I'm really just looking for a way to get rid of this putz.
Same.

100%... F IT ----give Jorge Alcala a shot at least he throws 99/100.

I went to bed when they went to Taylor naively thinking this was a done deal, Ugh. I can't believe he put Waddell in that situation either, horrible decision -

Rocko improve your best.
Alcala, Stashack and even Colome were better options. If Waddell is not off this team and replaced by Smeltzer I'll be shocked. They need 10 runs to win tonight.

Good update from The Athletic (such good reporting & writing) on the injuries/returns and rotation, not the bullpen.

Twins place Luis Arraez on concussion injured list, delay Miguel Sanó’s return​

GettyImages-1315041265-1024x683.jpg

By Aaron Gleeman May 4, 2021
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

As has so often been the case with the Twins the past few seasons, whenever it looks like they might have too many starting-caliber hitters and too few lineup spots to give them all regular playing time, injuries make it a moot point.

Miguel Sanó’s impending return from the injured list, combined with fill-in first baseman Alex Kirilloff hitting like he never wants to go back to the minors, had many people wondering how the Twins’ lineup would shake out, with manager Rocco Baldelli hinting that Sanó may be used as a part-time player for the first time in his career because of the logjam of quality bats.

Instead, the logjam won’t materialize for at least another week, if at all.
Monday night Luis Arraez scored what proved to be a crucial run in a 6-5 win over the Rangers, somehow avoiding being tagged on an awkward collision at the plate that left catcher Jose Trevino muttering obscenities after a replay review ruled him safe. Arraez was shaken up and exited the game a few innings later with a concussion. Tuesday he was placed on the seven-day concussion injured list.

“Not a lot has worsened for him, but he certainly showed enough (Monday) night after the game for us to have to listen to our medical staff and doctors,” Baldelli said. “He’s going to have to pass some tests before he (resumes baseball activities). We’ll see where he’s at in a few days and hopefully get him back out on the field to start working out again.”

Baldelli noted there’s optimism Arraez’s concussion is relatively mild. However, as the Twins discovered with Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau, that initial diagnosis doesn’t always lead to a quick return or the absence of lingering symptoms. Arraez is eligible to return May 11, and to take his place on the roster the Twins called up Nick Gordon again rather than activate Sanó.

Sanó has been eligible to come off the IL since Saturday, but the Twins want him to rediscover his timing at the plate before returning from a strained right hamstring. He’s basically being asked to go on a rehab assignment to show he’s ready, except with behind-the-scenes work at Target Field taking the place of minor-league games.

“A lot of what (Sanó) needs isn’t necessarily just to go face Triple-A pitching,” president of baseball operations Derek Falvey said. “It’s potentially to do some work mechanically to get to where he needs to be, to be firing on time. We can do a lot of that with (batting practice) work, hands-on work, velocity machine work. He’s got a chance to do that here, too.”

Sanó hit .111 in 15 games before going on the shelf, so it’s understandable that the Twins were in no rush to bring him back as the odd man out in a crowded lineup. That they stuck to that plan even after losing Arraez for at least a week, freeing up plenty of at-bats, suggests they think fixing his swing will take more time. And they should know because they’ve done it before.
Sanó has come back from slumps and injuries before, like in 2019 when he hit .271/.376/.618 with 25 homers in his final 74 games. Arraez’s absence means he could have jumped back into the lineup at first base, pushing Kirilloff (who was scratched from Tuesday’s game with a sore right wrist) mostly to left field, but the Twins are thinking bigger picture.

“(Sanó) is going to still continue on with his treatment, but I do think we could see him back as this week goes on,” Baldelli said. “I think in a couple days, or a few days, we could see him back.”
Regardless of who takes Arraez’s at-bats, there’s no replacing his elite on-base skills and clutch hitting atop the lineup, as well as his defensive versatility. He started at least seven times each in left field, at third base, and at second base in the first 26 games, hitting .291/.398/.372 with more walks (14) than strikeouts (11), including a .453 on-base percentage in 17 games as the leadoff man.
Max Kepler batted leadoff Tuesday and Baldelli said Jorge Polanco is another leadoff option in Arraez’s absence, but neither is capable of replicating his skill set. Arraez has a .392 on-base percentage since debuting in 2019, compared with .330 for Kepler and .338 for Polanco during that span, although they each have considerably more power.

Rotation plans and Dobnak’s demotion​

It’s not often a player gets demoted to the minor leagues a month after signing a long-term contract, but that’s what happened Monday when the Twins sent right-hander Randy Dobnak to Triple A.

Dobnak and the Twins agreed to a five-year, $9.25 million contract March 28 and a few days later he made the Opening Day roster as a long reliever. But finding him consistent bullpen work proved difficult. Dobnak appeared in just seven of the first 26 games, logging 14 1/3 innings and going a week between outings multiple times. He also struggled, posting an 8.16 ERA.

Relief work was never supposed to be a permanent role for Dobnak. He was in the bullpen to provide the Twins with an innings-eating long reliever and stay relatively stretched out should a rotation spot open up. But because the Twins played so many close games in April, finding low-leverage, multi-inning spots to keep Dobnak in a groove was a bigger obstacle than expected.
“I think the lack of consistent work for him has challenged him in a lot of ways and challenged us,” Baldelli said. “We’ve played a lot of games where to find 75 pitches for a guy to keep him stretched out just wasn’t possible. We’ve played a lot of close games, back-and-forth games, and it just didn’t lend itself to getting Dobber out there. Frankly, it’s just circumstance.”

Monday the Twins changed plans, sending Dobnak to Triple A and calling up left-hander Brandon Waddell to fill a more typical middle relief role. Dobnak will join the rotation in St. Paul and build back up to tossing five-plus innings, with the idea being that in a few weeks he could be ready to rejoin the Twins as a starter — if needed.

“Randy’s main goal right now is we’ve got to get him stretched out,” pitching coach Wes Johnson said. “He’s been in the ‘pen. There’s a point where you look at him and you’re like, ‘This guy’s got about 45-50 pitches you feel comfortable throwing a guy.’ And that’s really not doing us a whole lot of good if we need him to start.”

That potential need may depend on injuries or it could simply hinge on Matt Shoemaker’s performance. It was signing Shoemaker to a one-year, $2 million deal in February that bumped Dobnak from the rotation and into the bullpen in the first place. Now that Shoemaker is 1-3 with a 7.83 ERA, and coming off the worst start of his career, the Twins could rethink the fifth starter job.
Shoemaker’s next start is scheduled for Friday in Detroit, although the Twins’ rotation is somewhat in flux because Michael Pineda’s minor wrist injury. Pineda is penciled in to start Thursday’s series finale against the Rangers. Lewis Thorpe will be called up from Triple A for a spot start Wednesday night against Texas, giving the rest of the rotation a little breathing room.

Dobnak, meanwhile, will make his Saints debut Thursday as a starter and with a limited pitch count. How long he’ll stay at Triple A is unknown, but Dobnak is officially in a rotation again. And in 15 career starts with the Twins, in 2019 and 2020, he’s 8-5 with a 3.41 ERA. That’s the pitcher the Twins want on call right now and the pitcher they wanted under team control through 2028.

Alcala, Stashack and even Colome were better options. If Waddell is not off this team and replaced by Smeltzer I'll be shocked. They need 10 runs to win tonight.
Per the article from The Athletic I just posted, Thorpe is a spot starting tonight as well (skipping Shoemaker apparently) with Pineda and his tender wrist still a go as of now for Thursday.

Per the article from The Athletic I just posted, Thorpe is a spot starting tonight as well (skipping Shoemaker apparently) with Pineda and his tender wrist still a go as of now for Thursday.
Sadly, Shoemaker is not being skipped, I believe he starts Friday. They wanted to give Pineda an extra day. That's why they will need Smeltzer. Thorpe can probably only go 4 innings best case, and the rest of the bullpen is gassed except for Colome.

Top Bottom