All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Builtbadgers alternate account is that you?

Just got back from the shower. Didn't like thinking positive things about Wisconsin.

In all seriousness though, I would like if the Gophers could win as much as the Badgers do and I don't care how they do it. Winning is fun to watch.

Just got back from the shower. Didn't like thinking positive things about Wisconsin.

In all seriousness though, I would like if the Gophers could win as much as the Badgers do and I don't care how they do it. Winning is fun to watch.
That is what i want to see here.

I didn't say they were recruited because they were white - that'd be racist. The fact of the matter is that Bo Ryan and Gard have built a system predicated on clock management, low turnovers, and efficient shooting - they were ranked 349th in the country out of 353 teams in possessions per game. Not good for any kid who wants to build his brand and get drafted to the NBA.

Also... I'm confident one of the Davis brothers will transfer before their careers at Wisconsin are over. Kobe King transferring and Tyler Herro de-committing should be a major red flag for any kid with serious NBA aspirations.
Your entitled to your opinion. As far as posessions per game, it should be noted that UVA was even slower and they send guys to the NBA that were not suppose to get there. Mychal Thompson picked up on that pace when he saw WSU use defense to slow the game down along with low turnovers and great shot selection. He loved that his kid would learn how to play. The NBA loves those guys that are good enough. If your good enough you will make it and you best know how to defend. Players also love to win. Ask them. Most college fans i know just want their team to win.UW is recruiting really well right now. The data reveals that with two less dribbles per possession on offense, and just 6 defensive stands that gave up easy shots early in a possession per game along with 3 early possession turnovers and they play faster than teams like Michigan. The fastest teams do not win big. As for brand, only a few kids at a few blue bloods build that.

Greenlee gone seems like more opportunity to improve the squad. I would think Carr will be on his way back to dinkytown at some point here. That leaves us with 2 open schols. Johnson and Robbins were a very nice start. Now it would be great to see a couple more impact pieces. I know most top recruits are gone at this point but maybe we could fill role-player spots. Or just not even fill the scholarship? Not sure if that's allowed or whatever. I'm only saying that as a last resort. I'd like to get a couple guys in here immediately but I'd live with El-Amin and Peterson, just cause those are 2 familiar names. I understand they'd both sit most likely. Maybe not El-Amin. Still think Peterson needs to sit a year if he wants to be effective in a power conference anyway.

Just saying I'm excited about the opportunity here. Greenlee wasn't gonna give us anything with this roster, now there's an opportunity to really fill this thing out. Probably woulda been nice to keep Willis at this point.

Last edited:

This is non sense but he is a higher jumper, better scorer, better rebounder, & better motor

Large school conference coaches do seem to agree with me. Just don't see him ever matching Joey King's stats. Hopefully his game can jump forward next season so can pick up some offers. Gophers have scouted him game and practice so are well aware.

Last edited:

Like it or not, when you're talking about your typical "white kid from a smaller community who puts up big numbers against questionable competition," the big issue is athletic ability. the real question is how will that kid perform when he's matched up against kids who are taller, stronger AND quicker.

If I had a buck for every time I've heard about some small-town kid who "is going to be D-1," I could afford to retire.

Now, the younger King kid from Caledonia sounds like a different story. he's getting D1 offers in FB and hoops. (FWIW, I hear the dad is an "interesting" character. people I know in SE MN tell me that he is a real handful.)

Like it or not, when you're talking about your typical "white kid from a smaller community who puts up big numbers against questionable competition," the big issue is athletic ability. the real question is how will that kid perform when he's matched up against kids who are taller, stronger AND quicker.

If I had a buck for every time I've heard about some small-town kid who "is going to be D-1," I could afford to retire.

Now, the younger King kid from Caledonia sounds like a different story. he's getting D1 offers in FB and hoops. (FWIW, I hear the dad is an "interesting" character. people I know in SE MN tell me that he is a real handful.)

Are you saying that Tschetter might not even be a D1 talent?

A real good family. Small town Caledonia has played basically against the best talent Minnesota has to offer. If not during the season during summer. When you play Minnehaha ,North and some of best competition you can schedule it gives your players a good idea what they can do. Personally with Notre Dame offering in football last week I can’t see how you don’t take that offer.

A real good family. Small town Caledonia has played basically against the best talent Minnesota has to offer. If not during the season during summer. When you play Minnehaha ,North and some of best competition you can schedule it gives your players a good idea what they can do. Personally with Notre Dame offering in football last week I can’t see how you don’t take that offer.
Sam Jackson disagrees with you about the value of the Notre Dame offer.

Unless he wants to play basketball.

As a side note to all recruiting, Tom Konchalski the scout without equal, retired yesterday. This incredibly kind and insightful man uncovered talent where many did not and could match fits from talents. There a dozens of examples where kids not highly ranked played up and destroyed players way over ranked.

I know that he is, but it sounded like he was questioning it for some reason.
Just opinions on here. I remind myself that most people on a message board have never seen most of the kids play. At best they have seen a highly edited tape against most inferior competition and then looked at a recruiting site where if you looked at those rankings two years later you would see all the flaws.

Just opinions on here. I remind myself that most people on a message board have never seen most of the kids play. At best they have seen a highly edited tape against most inferior competition and then looked at a recruiting site where if you looked at those rankings two years later you would see all the flaws.
And yet if you know basketball well enough you can make an informed opinion just by seeing an edited highlight tape. The competition doesn't change a kids shooting form, handles, or athleticism.

It took me 30 seconds of Will Tschetter's most recent highlight tape to see he isn't a B1G caliber player as of right now. He's too slow and his shooting form is a disaster. Would be a mistake for Pitino to offer him but maybe he picks up some low D-1 offers?

IMO. Tschetter can play. I have watched him a dozen times including the summer. I have watched Najai play 6-7 times for example. At this stage of where these young bigs are at TODAY Tschetter would abuse Najai.

Interesting. I have seen him play once - section championship against Caledonia - and didnt see his game translating at all to the big ten. Fellow
I attended with said the same thing. Thus far, his offer list would seem to favor my evaluation, but will be interesting how things play out.
Sophomore Eli King really showed out in this game fwiw.

And yet if you know basketball well enough you can make an informed opinion just by seeing an edited highlight tape. The competition doesn't change a kids shooting form, handles, or athleticism.

It took me 30 seconds of Will Tschetter's most recent highlight tape to see he isn't a B1G caliber player as of right now. He's too slow and his shooting form is a disaster. Would be a mistake for Pitino to offer him but maybe he picks up some low D-1 offers?
Actually the competition exposes those things. But you can not teach length and with his skills they make projections. Scouts and coaches are focused on what they can become.

He has at least a half dozen offers right now.

Responding to Parcival on maybe picking up some low major offers. Never said anything about high major offers.

Seemed to me that the narrative of your recent posts was that he has or should have high major offers - misinterpretation my bad.

IMO. Tschetter can play. I have watched him a dozen times including the summer. I have watched Najai play 6-7 times for example. At this stage of where these young bigs are at TODAY Tschetter would abuse Najai.
There are no sure things, but I agree here that this guy could blossom....even at a high major level. there is no question in my find that small town kids get evaluated in less depth than the big metro area dwellers. Save me all the “no high offers,” evidence. Some ones gotta be the first, and I think the rewards could be forthcoming. Minnesota has such a poor record with local talent...they should leave no stone unturned.

There are no sure things, but I agree here that this guy could blossom....even at a high major level. there is no question in my find that small town kids get evaluated in less depth than the big metro area dwellers. Save me all the “no high offers,” evidence. Some ones gotta be the first, and I think the rewards could be forthcoming. Minnesota has such a poor record with local talent...they should leave no stone unturned.

Am guessing a large majority of times the coaches get it right. However, coaches certainly do miss some so maybe Tschetter will be one of those, who knows.

Top Bottom