All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

It's an ankle, not a knee.

More than likely a sprain. They can be days or weeks.
Agree, probably an ankle.

Even it's if just a few weeks though, that will hamper their ability to get to the #6 seed. 5 weeks left in the regular season, hopefully good to go by then.

Strib story didn't mention it. ESPN said it was day-to-day. Though agree with you guys, it looked bad.

Injury updates

Center Naz Reid missed Monday's game because of back spasms. Guard Patrick Beverley (eardrum injury) and Jordan McLaughlin (right groin tightness) came into the game as game-time decisions. Beverley was in the starting lineup but McLaughlin missed his second game in the last three. Jarred Vanderbilt missed his third game in the past four because of a left deep thigh bruise.

Fouls not troubling

Karl-Anthony Towns
got in foul trouble in each of the Wolves' previous two games after the issue had not crept up for Towns in a while. Finch said he didn't notice any bad habits creeping back into Towns' game.

"I thought some of the foul calls were just super light. Wasn't a lot there. So, I'm not putting too much into it," Finch said.

The league's two-minute report actually flagged two fouls that weren't called on Towns late in the Miami game, both for grabbing an opponent's arm.

Minnesota Timberwolves

NAMEPOSDATESTATUSCOMMENT
Jaden McDanielsPFMar 14Day-To-Day
Jordan McLaughlinPGMar 14Out
Naz ReidCMar 14OutReid (back) won't play Monday against the Spurs, Jace Frederick of St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.
Jarred VanderbiltPFMar 13Out

Sorry to bring this up again, but, Canis hoops poster stated that after the first quarter, he couldn't take our announcers telling stories that didn't relate to the game while the game is going on any more and switched to the San Antone announcers, who were much more informative and enthusiastic about our team then our announcers were. Their announcers couldn't believe how the refs treated Kat and said they obviously don't like Kat and fouls could be called on almost every play. Meanwhile our play by play guy is talking about who he met on the golf course or about Syracuse.... he needs to go back to Syracuse. He is wrong about half the time with his observations as well. Big Jim is correcting him all the time! How did he get that job, he is terrible?!?!?

I
Sorry to bring this up again, but, Canis hoops poster stated that after the first quarter, he couldn't take our announcers telling stories that didn't relate to the game while the game is going on any more and switched to the San Antone announcers, who were much more informative and enthusiastic about our team then our announcers were. Their announcers couldn't believe how the refs treated Kat and said they obviously don't like Kat and fouls could be called on almost every play. Meanwhile our play by play guy is talking about who he met on the golf course or about Syracuse.... he needs to go back to Syracuse. He is wrong about half the time with his observations as well. Big Jim is correcting him all the time! How did he get that job, he is terrible?!?!?
I've been out of town lately and have been streaming the games. Last night the feed was problematic so I switched over to the SA feed and that worked (don't know why). The Canis poster is a little bit right, but mostly wrong. I'm on record that the Benz/JimPete duo is one of the best around. Last night I mostly listened to Sean Elliott and his announcer partner. Elliott speaks in the usual cliches and platitudes and wasn't at all informative on strategy, plays, game trends, data or anything else. However, he was unusually fair and impartial for a home team color analyst. He noted several times in the first half that the refs were screwing KAT. He was highly complimentary of the wolves and he wasn't a homer.
TBH, JimPete is more invested in this wolves team than any team that I can recall. As such, I've noticed he's becoming more of a homer. I hope that it doesn't continue to trend that way. Part of what makes JimPete so great is his relatively unvarnished view of things. He has credibility with his viewers.

SI with an Article called “no one wants to play the timberwolves this post season.”

says are net ratings on both O and D are title level stuff… yes, this confirms hell is now frozen.

I have NBA ticket. I'll take the wolves announcers over most all of them.

And are you seriously saying that Benz/Peterson don't call out the fact Towns is fouled all the time. I actually get bored with that myself.

Jaden McDaniels is out “indefinitely” with a left ankle sprain suffered with 42 seconds remaining in the team’s 10-point win over San Antonio on Monday, the team announced Tuesday.

McDaniels, who has been one of Minnesota’s best players during its recent post-all star string of success, will be re-evaluated in two weeks. The Timberwolves are heading into one of their toughest stretches of the season, and are two games back in the loss column of Denver for the No. 6 seed that would move them past the play in and directly into the playoffs.

On the rest of the injury report, Minnesota listed Patrick Beverley, Naz Reid, Jarred Vanderbilt and Jordan McLaughlin as questionable for the team’s home contest Wednesday against the Lakers..

Kyrie Irving goes out and gets 60 the next night. Why of course!

Maybe no LeBron tonight.

team logo logo

L.A. Lakers

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
LeBron JamesSFTue, Mar 15KneeGame Time Decision
Talen Horton-TuckerSFTue, Mar 15AnkleGame Time Decision
Kendrick NunnSGTue, Mar 15KneeExpected to be out until at least Mar 31
Anthony DavisCSun, Mar 13FootExpected to be out until at least Apr 3

Or McLaughlin, Beverly, Reid or Vanderbilt.

team logom logo
Minnesota

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
Jordan McLaughlinPGTue, Mar 15GroinGame Time Decision
Naz ReidCTue, Mar 15BackGame Time Decision
Jaden McDanielsPFTue, Mar 15AnkleExpected to be out until at least Mar 30
Jarred VanderbiltPFTue, Mar 15QuadricepsGame Time Decision
Patrick BeverleyPGTue, Mar 15EarGame Time Decision

Kyrie Irving wanting the spotlight on himself? Shocking.. 😊
He might he the biggest drama queen in the NBA. I hope they play Toronto in the playoffs, so he's completely banned from playing in any game during that series.

I

I've been out of town lately and have been streaming the games. Last night the feed was problematic so I switched over to the SA feed and that worked (don't know why). The Canis poster is a little bit right, but mostly wrong. I'm on record that the Benz/JimPete duo is one of the best around. Last night I mostly listened to Sean Elliott and his announcer partner. Elliott speaks in the usual cliches and platitudes and wasn't at all informative on strategy, plays, game trends, data or anything else. However, he was unusually fair and impartial for a home team color analyst. He noted several times in the first half that the refs were screwing KAT. He was highly complimentary of the wolves and he wasn't a homer.
TBH, JimPete is more invested in this wolves team than any team that I can recall. As such, I've noticed he's becoming more of a homer. I hope that it doesn't continue to trend that way. Part of what makes JimPete so great is his relatively unvarnished view of things. He has credibility with his viewers.
Thanks for the reply and again, sorry to be harping on this. I like Big Jim, it is the other guy who bothers me with his inane stories and constantly getting things wrong about the games. I also wish all announcers would shut up some during the games. I enjoy hearing the real sounds of basketball being played, not constant bad stories. Admittedly, I have a bias against Syracuse U, as during the seventies, I played 4 times at Syracuse and far and away they were the worst fans that I ever played against. Also not fond of the many, many announcers from Syracuse, many are my least favorite ESPN announcers.

High Ankle sprains and Plantar Fasciitis . The bane of the Wolves for decades now.

Unfortunately, Jaden should not have been in the game with 42 seconds left. Ant sprained his ankle at the end of a game when he should have been on the bench. Two of the rare mistakes Coach has made this year. Still, so refreshing to have Coach Finch on our team!!!!

Unfortunately, Jaden should not have been in the game with 42 seconds left. Ant sprained his ankle at the end of a game when he should have been on the bench. Two of the rare mistakes Coach has made this year. Still, so refreshing to have Coach Finch on our team!!!!

Totally agree with the first. Seemed as if Finch through out logic to help Towns get his 60.

Edwards? Disagree on that. Yep, he shouldn't have been in then, but the slow recovery is all on Ant. He was hurt before the All Star Game but instead of resting, he went and was all in while he was there.

He was godawful in his two games before the break, and the first back. If he sat them out and didn't got to Cleveland? He could have rested for 8-9 days and would be a lot healthier now.

He's only 20, so I get the excitement, though it hasn't helped. Him or the team.

All I said was Ant shouldn't have been in the game when he injured his ankle. Just an example of leaving the players in too long. Agree with you about Ant, he should have sat out the all star thing. 9 days off would have been great for his body.

I believe Kat had already scored his sixtieth point and was on the bench when Big Mac sprained his ankle. No reason he should have been in the game.....put Laymen in!

I believe Kat had already scored his sixtieth point and was on the bench when Big Mac sprained his ankle. No reason he should have been in the game.....put Laymen in!

Doesn't sound like we disagree on much. Hate when Coaches overplay their starters. Football is WAY worse on keeping starters in when the game is over. Have heard Coaches say that "They're professionals. They get paid to play!" But so do the guys on the bench. Seems as if they're in there to boost stats.

As for Kat and Mac? Towns got his points with 1:38 left in the game, so yeah, Finch probably should have pulled everybody then. Though Finch in general is pretty good at not overplaying his starters. He does on occasion, but in that game, the starters played from 29 to 36 minutes.

Let's hope Finch can give those bench guys a lot of game time tonight. :drink:

So can this team D up come playoff time?
These are the two things I'm interested to see.

Offense becomes much harder to generate in the playoffs.

How will we score and how will we defend?

This will determine offseason needs. We are very small and am worried about this come playoff time.

So can this team D up come playoff time?

Personally don't think so. Think their shooting is so uneven that they won't win games that are mainly played in the half court. Agree with you guys that it could be a problem.

Also just looked and saw that the teams that have made it to the finals in the last 10-12 years have included Golden State(5 times), Miami(5), Cleveland(4) and the Suns (1). All teams that were big scoring ones. They won by outscoring their opponents.

That's what the Wolves have been pretty good at in 2022.

Think that's our only hope.

In the Target Center, Wolves over the Lakers 67-46 at the Half. Edwards has 24(!), KAT has 12 and Beverly has 11. They're shooting 48% to L.A. 37.

(Edit: and 2 minutes into the 3rdQ Towns got his 4th foul)

Last edited:

"If you had turned off Wednesday's 124-104 Timberwolves victory over the woebegone Lakers in the second quarter when they were up 25 and only looked at the final score, you might not have known there were a few happenings in between.

In the first half, Patrick Beverley was firing up the crowd during dead balls and Anthony Edwards was putting on a show with 20 second-quarter points. The celebration was getting an early start.

But the Wolves would lose focus for about 15 game minutes, and Los Angeles trimmed that lead all the way to four, but the Wolves snapped back out of their stupor just in time to make one final push to get the Lakers out the door with a loss.

Karl-Anthony Towns again navigated foul trouble but stayed out of it when the Wolves needed him to in the fourth quarter as he spearheaded the tension-relieving run. Towns followed up his 60-point performance Monday with 30 points, 16 in the fourth, while Edwards had 27. Towns was 13-for-13 from the foul line after re-adjusting his routine prior to Friday's game against Orlando. Beverley added 18. LeBron James finished with 19 for the Lakers.

Los Angeles came into Wednesday night in a state of disarray with Anthony Davis still working his way back from a foot sprain. They were 3-11 in their last 14. As a team, the Lakers were 0-for-10 from three-point range in the first quarter and just 2-for-21 in the first half.

The Wolves didn't get going right away as they committed seven first-quarter turnovers, but Patrick Beverley helped them wake up from their initial offensive slumber with nine first-quarter points. Foul trouble had plagued Towns recently and he picked up two offensive fouls in the first 4 minutes, 25 seconds. The Wolves led 31-17 after the first quarter. The only blemish they had was seven first-quarter turnovers.."

Last edited:

Wolves are now 41-30. Patrick Beverly by the way, spent the first 9n years of his career with Houston and the Clippers. He's seen way too much of Westbrook and James.;)

"Los Angeles is a greatly flawed basketball team this season, whom Minnesota just beat three times this season following its 124-104 win Wednesday at Target Center.

Those three wins came by an average of 21 points. The lone loss came when Minnesota’s roster was decimated by COVID-19.

The win clinched at least a play-in berth for Minnesota.

Wednesday’s win came on a night when the Wolves, frankly, played well for about two quarters. The Wolves jumped out ahead of the Lakers — who’ve now lost 11 consecutive road games — early, building a 25-point first half lead on the back of Anthony Edwards, who poured in 20 of his 27 points in the second quarter.

As Minnesota was pouring it on Los Angeles, Patrick Beverley was running around the court, talking about how “trash” Russell Westbrook is now and yelling in the face of James..

Carmelo Anthony, Westbrook, James, Howard, 10 years ago that group would have been unbeatable. Time flies.

Top Bottom