All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Carmelo Anthony, Westbrook, James, Howard, 10 years ago that group would have been unbeatable. Time flies.
I want no part of them in a one game playoff.

Anthony Davis will be back and with their experience, I'd be real worried.

Plus, they would shoot 35 free throws to our 10 in a one game, winner take all.

That and the league would very much like LA in the actual playoffs. Wolves seem stuck in that 7 seed. They keep winning, but so does every team they are chasing.

That and the league would very much like LA in the actual playoffs. Wolves seem stuck in that 7 seed. They keep winning, but so does every team they are chasing.

Can't see any real "gimme" in the hunt. Maybe New Orleans, who they probably won't see. Good news is that nobody is praying to draw Wolves either.

Carmelo Anthony, Westbrook, James, Howard, 10 years ago that group would have been unbeatable. Time flies.
I love that the Westbrook experiment failed. LeBron wanted him, and they got rid of some good role players.

Lesson learned: Dont let players play GM

Beverly and Beasley give this team a bit of moxie that we've so often missed, love that Bev clapped back at Westbrook:

Howl Wolves!!
Players like Beverly are so important to giving teams an edge. I'm glad they extended him for next season.

Reminds me when the Wolves brought back Sam Mitchell, and brought in Terry Porter when KG and Marbury were young.

Somewhere Gersson Rosas is kicking himself for his inability to keep his D in his pants. He's the architect of this roster, he hired Finch despite a lot of criticism coming his way and now he's not here to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Hope it was worth it for him.

Howl Wolves!!

Somewhere Gersson Rosas is kicking himself for his inability to keep his D in his pants. He's the architect of this roster, he hired Finch despite a lot of criticism coming his way and now he's not here to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Hope it was worth it for him.

Howl Wolves!!
Boy, are you right--looking past the decision to include the #1 pick in the Wiggins/Russell trade, there are a lot of moves he made that have been wonderful-drafting Edwards, McDaniels, Nowell, signing Reid and McLaughlin as UDFA, the trade that netted Beasley and Vanderbilt for Robert Covington.

Howl Wolves!!
Never did I imagine that when I arrived at the point that I was out of touch with today's youth, I would find it to be so delightful, but then, I don't think I could ever imagine a personality like Ant enlivening the MN sports scene.

Boy, are you right--looking past the decision to include the #1 pick in the Wiggins/Russell trade, there are a lot of moves he made that have been wonderful-drafting Edwards, McDaniels, Nowell, signing Reid and McLaughlin as UDFA, the trade that netted Beasley and Vanderbilt for Robert Covington.
I've been thinking a lot about that lately. This is Rosas' team in all respects. (Gupta gets credit for being smart enough to leave it alone at this point. He can tinker after the season.) Too bad his hubris ruined his professional accomplishment.

I'm showing my age in timberwolves years. It's big fun to watch the wolves talk about "swag" and kick some ass on the court. It's fake courage for KAT to call LeBron a BAN while he's walking away from him and for PatBev to swat LeBron on the ass and mock Westbrook. Start dominating in the playoffs, when real NBA players know it matters, then you can start "swagging."

I'm showing my age in timberwolves years. It's big fun to watch the wolves talk about "swag" and kick some ass on the court. It's fake courage for KAT to call LeBron a BAN while he's walking away from him and for PatBev to swat LeBron on the ass and mock Westbrook. Start dominating in the playoffs, when real NBA players know it matters, then you can start "swagging."

Thought I'd agree, but I don't. Screw the "caste system." The Wolves can't act like they've been there, 'cuz they haven't been there. They don't need to genuflect to a team the just hammered and for the 3rd time in four tries on top of that, because of some unwritten rules of behavior.

Beverly's career has been played for Houston and for the Clippers. He's put-up with, and dished out b.s with Westbrook for years. Westbrook is a legendary trash talker. He's dished it out, he can take it. He actually was much better than I thought he'd be with it.

LeBron kinda the same thing. He's been on plenty of teams, including this year's Lakers, that cut-up, danced and trashed talked when they are winning. Last night he brushed it off with a comment about how there is trash talking all the time in the NBA.'

Will it make the Lakers try harder if they see the Wolves in the playoffs? Doubtful. It's the bloody playoffs. They'll be going all out either way.

Go Wolves!

Thought I'd agree, but I don't. Screw the "caste system." The Wolves can't act like they've been there, 'cuz they haven't been there. They don't need to genuflect to a team the just hammered and for the 3rd time in four tries on top of that, because of some unwritten rules of behavior.

Beverly's career has been played for Houston and for the Clippers. He's put-up with, and dished out b.s with Westbrook for years. Westbrook is a legendary trash talker. He's dished it out, he can take it. He actually was much better than I thought he'd be with it.

LeBron kinda the same thing. He's been on plenty of teams, including this year's Lakers, that cut-up, danced and trashed talked when they are winning. Last night he brushed it off with a comment about how there is trash talking all the time in the NBA.'

Will it make the Lakers try harder if they see the Wolves in the playoffs? Doubtful. It's the bloody playoffs. They'll be going all out either way.

Go Wolves!
They don't have to genuflect but they shouldn't act like they've won anything when they haven't. LeBron has more than earned the right to trash talk as much as he wants. At least Westbrook has won a few playoff series. All the wolves have done is manage to play above .500 ball for three months during one regular season.

For whatever reason, the NBA caste system means something. It usually takes teams a few years to advance through the playoffs. In the NFL you can go from 4-13 to the SB in one year. In the NBA nobody goes from 23 wins to the finals in one season (unless they draft Kareem Abdul Jabbar).

They don't have to genuflect but they shouldn't act like they've won anything when they haven't. LeBron has more than earned the right to trash talk as much as he wants. At least Westbrook has won a few playoff series. All the wolves have done is manage to play above .500 ball for three months during one regular season.

For whatever reason, the NBA caste system means something. It usually takes teams a few years to advance through the playoffs. In the NFL you can go from 4-13 to the SB in one year. In the NBA nobody goes from 23 wins to the finals in one season (unless they draft Kareem Abdul Jabbar).

They've played the Lakers 4 times this year and beat them in 3 of them. Turns out they count regular season games. Who knew!

That said would have been shorter for you just to type "Get off my lawn!"

They've played the Lakers 4 times this year and beat them in 3 of them. Turns out they count regular season games. Who knew!

That said would have been shorter for you just to type "Get off my lawn!"
Teams that are used to being in the playoffs know that the regular season doesn't mean much. Punking during a regular season game in mid March is begging for payback during a play in game in late April.
LeBron can still get 50 when he needs to.

Teams that are used to being in the playoffs know that the regular season doesn't mean much. Punking during a regular season game in mid March is begging for payback during a play in game in late April.
LeBron can still get 50 when he needs to.
KAT was so good last night the refs finally decided to stop screwing with him. He has a very good group of teammates and a very good coach. So it looks like he's decided to prove to the rest of the league that he's as good as Gobert, Embid and Jokic instead of talking about it. The refs are a definite hindrance in that quest. The ref with the slick black hair was screwing with KAT until he went off in the third. The lane violation and flagrant foul calls were the worst of the bunch of bad calls/non calls against him.

He's a generational player who has decided to play like one.

Get what you're saying. That's been the cliche for years. All through their losing years at least. That deference hasn't gotten them far before. You seem to demand that they play "the right way" and you're mad they don't.

Why? Because it's gotten them so far in the past? They played the right way and lost again and again. You were happy about that?

Your Tuesday take was better.

Last edited:

Get what you're saying. That's been the cliche for years. All through their losing years at least. That deference hasn't gotten them far before. You seem to demand that they play "the right way" and you're mad they don't.

Why? Because it's gotten them so far in the past? They played the right way and lost again and again. You were happy about that?

Your Tuesday take was better.
Didn't know we were grading takes.

Not mad about anything. It wasn't deference that didn't get them anywhere, it was a lack of talent and coaching. Now they have both. They even have "swag," too. All good. What isn't good is calling LeBron a BAN and slapping him on the ass during a mid March game. Talking shit to Russ during a mid March game also isn't good. None of it is thinking ahead. Most likely they will see the Lakers in a play in game with a healthy AD. It won't be forgotten. That was my point.

Didn't know we were grading takes.

Not mad about anything. It wasn't deference that didn't get them anywhere, it was a lack of talent and coaching. Now they have both. They even have "swag," too. All good. What isn't good is calling LeBron a BAN and slapping him on the ass during a mid March game. Talking shit to Russ during a mid March game also isn't good. None of it is thinking ahead. Most likely they will see the Lakers in a play in game with a healthy AD. It won't be forgotten. That was my point.

Yeah, 'cuz the Lakers wouldn't be trying to win anyway. That was my point, Which you've completely ignored to say the same thing again and again. ;)

"The Minnesota Timberwolves spent Wednesday night playing with, not against, the dead-in-the-water Los Angeles Lakers, riding a soaring bravado and overpowering athleticism to the latest in a string of relatively easy victories. Patrick Beverley, Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Edwards and D’Angelo Russell have been vocal all season, carrying themselves with an off-the-charts swagger that was turned up to 11 against LeBron James and the free-falling Russell Westbrook, for years a player who would come into Target Center and punk the Wolves with a lip-curling growl and baby-rocking theatrics designed to embarrass and dismiss his opponent.

On Wednesday night, the Timberwolves turned the tables on him. Every time Westbrook had the ball, Beverley and Edwards laid six feet off him, daring him to shoot. Beverley called him “trash,” renewing a long-standing beef he has had with Westbrook dating back to his days with the Houston Rockets and LA Clippers
. Towns even got into it a bit with James late in the fourth quarter after putting the game away and tested the wind in the arena after a Westbrook airball..

Beverley has been the catalyst. He came to the Timberwolves in a trade and proudly proclaimed that he had never missed the playoffs in his career and did not plan to do that in Minnesota. His younger teammates have lapped up Beverley’s bravado.

“I feel like if you ain’t got swag, then you gonna lose every game,” Edwards said. “I tried to come out with as much swag as possible no matter how good I’m playing. PB got his own swag, so I think that just makes the team have all the swag in the world. After we do that, then nobody can beat us.”

Beverley is constantly talking during a game, at the referees, his teammates and coaches, the opposing teammates and coaches. He said he saw a “swagless team” during his trips to Minnesota prior to this season, and he made it his mission to change that.

“We know exactly who we are. We’re not backing down from anybody,”..

Last edited:

Isn't this a rite of passage for the NBA? It was just a couple months ago where I was reading a lot of grumbling from veteran teams about how mouthy the baby-faced Memphis Grizzlies are/were. Remember when Allen Iverson caused so many to fall upon the fainting couch because he had the temerity to trash talk Michael Jordan? Noticeably absent over the years has been the T-Wolves involved in any sort of trash talking controversy, because well, they were garbage (or, pre-Ant, getting the short end of the stick with Jimmy Butler). I'd take it as a good sign that the puppies are turning into full grown Wolves and moving from whining to yapping and growling. And if they get trounced in the playoffs? Well, a lesson to be learned. If Lebron flips the switch in the playoffs it won't be because he's exacting revenge on KAT or Ja Morant or anyone else--it's because that's what he does.

Yeah, 'cuz the Lakers wouldn't be trying to win anyway. That was my point, Which you've completely ignored to say the same thing again and again. ;)
Why give somebody an extra little bit of juice?
You can have "swag" and still be smart about it.

Why give somebody an extra little bit of juice?
You can have "swag" and still be smart about it.
Here ya go.

coolhandgopher

Isn't this a rite of passage for the NBA? It was just a couple months ago where I was reading a lot of grumbling from veteran teams about how mouthy the baby-faced Memphis Grizzlies are/were. Remember when Allen Iverson caused so many to fall upon the fainting couch because he had the temerity to trash talk Michael Jordan? Noticeably absent over the years has been the T-Wolves involved in any sort of trash talking controversy, because well, they were garbage (or, pre-Ant, getting the short end of the stick with Jimmy Butler). I'd take it as a good sign that the puppies are turning into full grown Wolves and moving from whining to yapping and growling. And if they get trounced in the playoffs? Well, a lesson to be learned. If Lebron flips the switch in the playoffs it won't be because he's exacting revenge on KAT or Ja Morant or anyone else--it's because that's what he does.

Sometimes you need to act like you got the role before you get offered the role.

You don't wait for results to feel confident that you can get results.
You need to have the confidence and vision to get the results for the results to come.

Top Bottom