All Things 2020 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Just by memory (so I may have missed some), looking through the NFL teams, here are the teams with FA QB's:
- Dolphins (Fitzpatrick) *Tua was drafted high and currently sitting
- Patriots (Newton)
- Colts (Rivers)
- Titans (Tannehill)
- Bears (Foles)
- Vikings (Cousins)
- Panthers (Bridgewater)
- Buccaneers (Brady)
- 49ers (Garrapollo)

Three of these are new in 2020. In 2019, Newton, Brady, and Rivers were with their drafted team, and had been for a long time. Currently, 28% of teams have FA QB's.

*I'm not including Washington, who had their recently drafted QB playing, but pulled him for the backup
Thanks. Yeah so, what I was getting at was, not just who was using them, but who was using them and winning or has recently done so.

Patriots obviously won a lot with Brady, and they drafted him forever ago. Panthers drafted Newton, and their recent winning was with him.

Colts had Luck from 2012-18 and won with him. Manning 1998-2011.

Bears I don't feel like have done a ton of winning. Trubinsky hasn't been the answer. Dolphins similarly not a lot of winning, I think.

Bucs similar story, and Brady is obviously an outlier. Similar to Vikings with Favre.

9ers and Titans are interesting cases. Obviously they didn't draft and develop JG ... but the Patriots did. And since Brady just lasted forever, he eventually moved on. Tannehill drafted by Dolphins, but didn't win their so they moved on, but has caught on at Tennessee.

Overall though, I think we're at a point now where we might be needed to go for a high end drafted QB.

Yesterday had me longing for the days when Steve Dils was the Vikings QB.

And Dophins are naming Tua the starter this week, even though they've won two with Fitz.

Souhan with an interesting hypothesis today.

https://www.startribune.com/souhan-did-a-playoff-victory-actually-doom-the-vikings-future/572807982/
A reminder: The Vikings finished the 2019 regular season by losing the biggest game of the season, at home to Green Bay 23-10. The offense looked inept. The following week, they lost to the Chicago Bears while resting key starters.

Had that 2019 team gone to New Orleans for a playoff game and looked noncompetitive, the Wilfs would have been forced to assess the future of their general manager, head coach, quarterback and star running back.

That team would have ended the season with a three-game losing streak.

That team would have looked fraudulent.

And Cousins would have received much of the blame.

Instead, the Vikings faced a sheep in wolf’s clothing — a Saints team renowned for its passing game and home-field advantage, but lacking a quarterback who could make big plays against vulnerable cornerbacks.

Zimmer is a good defensive coach, and he did his best work in the Vikings’ 26-20 overtime victory over the Saints at the Superdome. He recognized that this older version of Brees couldn’t hurt him downfield, and built a game plan that would take advantage of Brees’ late-career arm weakness.

The result: Brees didn’t complete a pass for more than 20 yards. The Saints’ only big play in the passing game came when Taysom Hill completed a pass for 50 yards to Deonte Harris.

With running back Alvin Kamara at less than 100%, Hill was also the only Saint who accounted for rushes or pass plays of more than 20 yards. The Vikings sacked Brees three times and intercepted him once.

After the Vikings won, Cousins received much of the praise because he had proved he could win a playoff game, and he did so against a seemingly good team in a reputedly tough place to play.

His numbers: 19 of 31 for 242 yards and one touchdown.

He wasn’t spectacular, but the Vikings’ defense and Brees’ lack of production set Cousins up to succeed.

Imagine what would have happened if vintage Drew Brees had shown up and produced 30 or more points against a defense that was about to get rid of its top three cornerbacks.

Cousins’ reputation for failing in important games would have been bolstered.

Zimmer would have finished his sixth season with just one playoff victory, that one coming on a play described as a miracle.

Spielman would have faced scrutiny for signing Cousins.

Instead, the Wilfs either happily or begrudgingly extended the contracts of Spielman, Zimmer, Cousins and Cook. With the 2020 Vikings at 1-5 and coming off an embarrassing loss to the Falcons, all of those decisions should be questioned.

It was a heck of a run! I guess this means he won't be in the Vikings Ring of Honor?!

Skol Vikes!!

Wow. That's a pretty strong signal. Start piecing it out, for whatever you can get for the rebuild.

Unless they decided that Ngakoue just wasn't getting it done, like they thought he would? Or something else going on behind the scenes (bad teammate, bad locker room, blew up at coaches?)?

Haha let the tanking begin!

What the hell? I'm hoping he wasn't a locker room fit, a scheme mis-fit or wanted to be traded again. It makes no sense to get rid of him.

There's guys you should trade. Harris or Smith (not both), Reiff, maybe Thielan. But not a top DE thats only 25. And with Hunter having a neck injury, you dont know if he'll even come back. Bad move.

I think he was just on a one year deal and since the writing is on the wall that we aren't contending maybe just try to get anything for him?

It was a heck of a run! I guess this means he won't be in the Vikings Ring of Honor?!

Skol Vikes!!
If you weren't critical of Spielman before, you should be now. Assuming a bit how the season plays out, but in review:

Vikings sent their second round pick (should be around the 37-42 pick) to Jacksonville. They received back a third rounder from Baltimore (should be around the 90-96 pick). So basically they spent about 50 draft spots to have Ngakuoe play a few games for them? With this team and it's need to rebuild/reinfuse talent, that second rounder would have been incredibly valuable.

I think he was just on a one year deal and since the writing is on the wall that we aren't contending maybe just try to get anything for him?
Yes, he was in line for a new contract in 2021, so it was no guarantee he was going to be here more than this year. Which makes you wonder why blow a second rounder on him in the first place? Spielman and Zim trying to save their hide this year, at the expense of the future.

Yes, he was in line for a new contract in 2021, so it was no guarantee he was going to be here more than this year. Which makes you wonder why blow a second rounder on him in the first place? Spielman and Zim trying to save their hide this year, at the expense of the future.
Contract talks must have stalled out. Everything I read about Yannick and the Vikings leading up to the trade deadline revolved around their ability (or desire) to re-sign him. It basically said their primary task for the bye week was to arrive at a decision of whether or not they would be re-signing him.

I guess they arrived at that decision. Sucks that the Ravens 3rd rounder will be so low. Oh well

Hey guys, don't count out Spielman yet, he can turn this new 3rd round pick into a 5th and 6th round pick; and then he can turn that 5th round pick into two more 7ths...so before all is said and done, we may be able to turn our 2nd round pick into 1 6th and 2 7ths!!

Skol Vikes!!

Contract talks must have stalled out. Everything I read about Yannick and the Vikings leading up to the trade deadline revolved around their ability (or desire) to re-sign him. It basically said their primary task for the bye week was to arrive at a decision of whether or not they would be re-signing him.

I guess they arrived at that decision. Sucks that the Ravens 3rd rounder will be so low. Oh well

Could have franchised him again. I have no problem spending big money on both DEs.

Should have let Barr walk

Should have let Harris walk

Should have tried to trade Cook, and then let him walk if no trade

Should have never give Cousins big money. Then, after you find out hes not your savior, then you EXTEND! him so you can pay other guys. Just think, this was his last season under contract. Vikings could have let him walk instead of extending him. Spielman has to go.

and various sources are claiming that Danielle Hunter will be having season-ending surgery on the herniated disc in his neck.

start playing the theme from the movie "Patton" - the tanks are on the move.

the ironic thing is - there are currently 10 teams with 1 win or 0 wins (J-E-T-S jets, jets, jets).

So even if the Vikes tank their way to a 3-13 record, they might not be bad enough to land one of the top QB's. They might have to shoot for 2-14 to have a shot at Fields. (assuming Lawrence goes #1).

Trey Lance, anyone?

The sad part is one of two things are going to happen with the tank:
1. Even with tanking, it's probably not enough to be worse than the Jets. One win might be too much.
2. They somehow get lucky enough to end up with the worst record in the league...and Trevor Lawrence refuses to play here.

If you weren't critical of Spielman before, you should be now. Assuming a bit how the season plays out, but in review:

Vikings sent their second round pick (should be around the 37-42 pick) to Jacksonville. They received back a third rounder from Baltimore (should be around the 90-96 pick). So basically they spent about 50 draft spots to have Ngakuoe play a few games for them? With this team and it's need to rebuild/reinfuse talent, that second rounder would have been incredibly valuable.
This is just another reminder that the Vikings have no idea what they are doing. Spielman and Zimmer need to go ASAP.

They tried to win this year, and it didn't work out. They were not far off from being 3-2 heading into last week, after playing the most difficult schedule in the league.

Things didn't go their way, and now they are 1-5. They found out they weren't going to be able to sign Ngakoue, so they got back what they could for him.

There are nine teams in the league right now that one win. Nine. And the Jets have zero wins.

This is Minnesota. There is no way we finish "better" than pick #6 in the draft.

*If/when* Cook is healthy, the offense can be pretty dang good. Only glaring weakness has been RG, and probably will be for the rest of the season. Hope they stick with Cleveland, and get rid of Samia and Elflein. Rest have been decent. Irv Smith and Rudolph are decent. Jefferson and Theilen are great. Cousins can make throws. Just has to have protection and then make better decisions.

The defense ... is what it is. Kendricks and Wilson are solid. Smith and Harris are great. The DL will be rag-tag. Stephen at Nose and Odenigbo at End are decent, and rookies Lynch and Wonnum at 3tech and end look promising. We'll probably start the three rookie CBs for the rest of the season. Move Boyd to backup safety now that Iloka tore his ACL. That is actually still a reasonable, serviceable starting lineup on D. If any go down, or when guys need a blow ... watch out.

The sad part is one of two things are going to happen with the tank:
1. Even with tanking, it's probably not enough to be worse than the Jets. One win might be too much.
2. They somehow get lucky enough to end up with the worst record in the league...and Trevor Lawrence refuses to play here.
All that only matters if Lawrence is just epically better than Fields or Lance; and he may well be. But that being said, I think Lance or even Fields could still be franchise QB's, given the right situation. Nobody knows at this point.

I just don't think the Vikings will be drafting anywhere near the top 5. I still think they'll win 5 or even 6 games, barring any more serious injuries/departures, and that will leave a lot of teams in front of them on Draft night.

From everything I've heard, there is expected to be much more movement before the trade deadline this year than there ever has; teams trying to shed salary, preparing for what could be a reduced cap next year, or the offseason free agent market, etc.

We'll see if the Vikings make any more moves

I don't see Fields or Lance being a fit for the Vikings as long as Zim remains the coach. Those two will need a creative offensive mind to tailor the offenses for them to be successful.

Kyle Trask and Zach Wilson may be better options for the Vikings, and should be available even if they do end up with 5-6 wins.

Yeah we still play Detroit x2, Jax, and Dallas. This team is ok enough to maybe sneak out an upset in there (Bears or Panthers). There is no way we get Lawrence unless we trade up. Whoever is in that position will get whatever they want and then some.

Fields I'm not super sold on, put Lance behind our line in the NFL instead of his line with FCS teams rushing at him. I'm not sure what the QB class looks like for the following year but maybe you focus on the OL, DL, and other defensive spots in this year's draft and see what QB you could land next year?

Problem is with Pierce, Barr, and Hunter back next year we may be better and in no position to draft a decent QB.

Yeah we still play Detroit x2, Jax, and Dallas. This team is ok enough to maybe sneak out an upset in there (Bears or Panthers). There is no way we get Lawrence unless we trade up. Whoever is in that position will get whatever they want and then some.

Fields I'm not super sold on, put Lance behind our line in the NFL instead of his line with FCS teams rushing at him. I'm not sure what the QB class looks like for the following year but maybe you focus on the OL, DL, and other defensive spots in this year's draft and see what QB you could land next year?

Problem is with Pierce, Barr, and Hunter back next year we may be better and in no position to draft a decent QB.
Barr needs to be traded so badly. Shame on Zimmer for not understanding he was a luxury he couldnt afford

Can we trade Spielman and all the 6th and 7th round picks to anyone who will take them all. We don’t even need anything back.

Just wait till Spielman gets done dealing.

The Vikes will have 20 picks in the next draft. Of course, most of them will be 5th round or later.

Man, beating the Panthers at home is considered an upset. 😰

I would be fine if they traded Pierce and/or Barr. I really think Eric Wilson has had a break out season, and I think Zim likes the 4-2-5, especially with how common 3WR sets are becoming (or already have been?) in the league. They have that 3rd LB that can come on for situations.

and various sources are claiming that Danielle Hunter will be having season-ending surgery on the herniated disc in his neck.
Adding insult to injury, literally! Rumors are that Hunter wants to be paid like the highest paid defensive player in the NFL next year or he wants traded out of Minny. Great!

I don't see Fields or Lance being a fit for the Vikings as long as Zim remains the coach. Those two will need a creative offensive mind to tailor the offenses for them to be successful.

Kyle Trask and Zach Wilson may be better options for the Vikings, and should be available even if they do end up with 5-6 wins.
Lance is too risky to take very early in the draft IMO. He could end up being a stud but he’s played just one season at the FCS level. And has played for a very good team that almost always played with the lead.

Top Bottom