All Things 2020 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Lance is too risky to take very early in the draft IMO. He could end up being a stud but he’s played just one season at the FCS level. And has played for a very good team that almost always played with the lead.
All that said, I'd be shocked if he doesn't go in the top 5-7; could go as high as 3/4 and I'd be absolutely blown away if he made it to #10; barring anything significant between now and then like injury, off the field issue, or a horrendous combine/pro day.

Lance is too risky to take very early in the draft IMO. He could end up being a stud but he’s played just one season at the FCS level. And has played for a very good team that almost always played with the lead.
Agreed 100%. All you're going to have to go on is workouts, combines, etc.

He played in a run heavy offense, meaning he rarely had to deal with pressure and threw off play action for a good chunk of his passing production. He also ran a lot himself.

With the Cowboys QB getting concussed, could the Vikings trade Cousins to Dallas?

With the Cowboys QB getting concussed, could the Vikings trade Cousins to Dallas?
They would never take him. If they were 5-2 and looking like they had a shot maybe they would consider it. I didn't hear how long Prescott is out for, but even if he's scheduled to be out all of next year they wouldn't pay Cousins for a one year rental.

Well, there are now only six teams, including the Vikings, with one win. Plus the Jets still with zero.

Although, one of the teams is Cincinnati, and they clearly have their guy in Burrow. They won't draft a QB in the first round.

So, the Vikings technically are still in the game!

But we all know they'll win at least a couple more. Just enough to drop out of the top 5, probably.

Also, SF went to New England and crushed the Pats.

JG went 20 for 25 for 277 yards. No passing touchdowns, and two picks. Didn't watch any of it, so no idea what that means. But again, who the hell wants Cousins, for his price??

Also, SF went to New England and crushed the Pats.

JG went 20 for 25 for 277 yards. No passing touchdowns, and two picks. Didn't watch any of it, so no idea what that means. But again, who the hell wants Cousins, for his price??

Sadly I think we have to ride the Cousins wave until its done. As a result I don't think we HAVE to draft a QB this draft. If we aren't in love with Lance or Fields we should go a different direction. Our D will need work all over, our O Line is a mess...we could start there at the very least and see what the QB situation is like the following draft.

I'm in for making it a big draft for linemen. Probably a safety as well. Can't leave Zim "empty-handed" on position groups he actually cares about.

Trade Barr, sign Wilson for hopefully a decent savings.

Well, there are now only six teams, including the Vikings, with one win. Plus the Jets still with zero.

Although, one of the teams is Cincinnati, and they clearly have their guy in Burrow. They won't draft a QB in the first round.

So, the Vikings technically are still in the game!

But we all know they'll win at least a couple more. Just enough to drop out of the top 5, probably.

Cincy still needs to be considered if they would wind up with a better draft slot than the Vikes. Sure they have their QB but they would then be likely to trade the pick down to someone who needs one. The trade-up team could indeed be Minnesota, but it would take lots of capital to make that happen.

one could argue that the best course is to take a QB this year, let him develop for a year, and get him ready to take over when Cousins' cap hit gets down to a point where you can sh*t-can him.

my advice - dump all the veterans you can, pile up draft picks like crazy, then trade up and get a QB in the 1st round, followed by taking the best OL available with your next 2 or 3 picks. next year, draft more OL and when the kid QB takes over, at least you might have a competent line in front of him.

on QB - if Lance is not your guy, the BYU QB looks like a player. The Georgia QB is also up there on a lot of lists. So, the Vikes don't have to be in the top 5 to land a decent QB.

Yeah, it probably is smart to draft a QB this year, with the idea that he'll probably sit most of 2021 and learn from Cousins.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...staying-senior-season-rather-opting-nfl-draft

Clemson Tigers quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leaving the door open about his football future despite previously saying he planned on heading to the NFL following this his junior season.

The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

"My mindset has been that I'm going to move on,'' Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen.''

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...staying-senior-season-rather-opting-nfl-draft

Clemson Tigers quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leaving the door open about his football future despite previously saying he planned on heading to the NFL following this his junior season.

The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

"My mindset has been that I'm going to move on,'' Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen.''

TRANSLATION: If the bleepin' Jets say they're planning to draft me, I'd rather stay in school.

There are at least a couple trades that should be made: Rudolph for sure. Reilly Reif (if anyone will have him) and probably one of Harrison Smith or Anthony Harris if you can get a 2nd rounder or better. I'd also listen on Thielen, but only move him for a 1st rounder or 2nd and 3rd.

WHOA!! Cowboys trade Everson Griffen to Detroit! Vikings get to line up against Griffen twice this year instead of just once.

Oof, sounds like now Dantzler might not be able to go because of covid. And Hughes and Holton Hill still aren't practicing.

Might be down to Gladney, Harrison Hand (3rd rookie CB we drafted), and Kris Boyd (2019 7th rounder from Texas) playing the whole game against Rodgers and the Pack. And hoping no one gets hurt in the secondary.

No idea how 6th round rookie safety Josh Metellus is coming along, but when Smith had to leave the game against Houston for BS targeting call, Iloka nearly lost the game for us, and they never put Metellus in. Could've been out that game though, don't recall.

Oof, sounds like now Dantzler might not be able to go because of covid. And Hughes and Holton Hill still aren't practicing.

Might be down to Gladney, Harrison Hand (3rd rookie CB we drafted), and Kris Boyd (2019 7th rounder from Texas) playing the whole game against Rodgers and the Pack. And hoping no one gets hurt in the secondary.

No idea how 6th round rookie safety Josh Metellus is coming along, but when Smith had to leave the game against Houston for BS targeting call, Iloka nearly lost the game for us, and they never put Metellus in. Could've been out that game though, don't recall.
Spielman's going to have to come up with something or it will be ugly.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-practice-without-three-of-their-top-four-cornerbacks/572917691/
Cornerback Mike Hughes missed his second day of practice this week because of the neck injury that has kept him out the past two games, while Holton Hill (who hasn’t played since Week 4 against the Texans) continued to sit out because of a foot injury. With Cameron Dantzler on the COVID-19 reserve list and former Lions cornerback Chris Jones still going through a series of coronavirus tests before he can start practicing, the Vikings could depend heavily on rookies Jeff Gladney and Harrison Hand, as well as second-year man Kris Boyd (who has been limited this week by hamstring and back injuries) and Mark Fields (who was added from the practice squad this week).

Hughes likely won’t play Sunday, though a source familiar with the situation said the 2018 first-round pick’s injury won’t end his season. There was no exact timetable for Hughes’ return. His 2019 season ended with a cracked vertebra he sustained in Week 17, though coach Mike Zimmer has said Hughes’ current neck injury is not related to the one he had last year.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings...ties-against-packers-aaron-rodgers/572917431/
Odenigbo, now the team leader with 2.5 sacks this season, was already adjusting to a new role as a first-year starter and is suddenly, at 26, the second-oldest defensive lineman in the room behind 29-year-old defensive tackle Shamar Stephen.

“I’ve been trying to figure out just my niche and everything,” Odenigbo said. “I’m getting more confident as I play each week, I’m speaking more and more. It’s kind of a process, but over time I think everybody on the defensive line is getting it. We just have a bunch of young guys.”

The Vikings will turn to Holmes, the big-bodied, third-year defensive end out of Ohio State, to start for Ngakoue and potentially get the next 10 games to showcase his development after transitioning this offseason from defensive tackle.

Coaches also want to see more of fourth-round draft pick D.J. Wonnum, whom Odenigbo praised for his maturity. Wonnum, the 22-year-old former South Carolina edge rusher, should see his role increase from the 25-30 snaps he was already getting with Ngakoue in the lineup.

“It’s been a process,” Wonnum said, “but I’m enjoying it along the way. Having coach [Patterson] coming in, the technique was kind of off coming out of college, but as the weeks go on, [my] progression in getting game time, production, I feel right now I’m progressing pretty well and I expect nothing but to keep going.”

- If we have to play Mark Fields at nickle corner for much of the game, Rodgers is going to carve him up. He is the son of a pro-bowler. Undrafted from Clemson, after being mostly a backup player there. Was on our practice squad.

- For some reason I thought Holmes was a DT? 283lbs is pretty big for a 40 front traditional end? But he did play a lot of games for Ohio State, 4th round in 2018 ... you'd think he'd have potential to do well for us. I like Wonnum though. Also hoping the rookie DT Lynch gets more time.

I’ll be shocked if the Packers don’t score at least 40.

The line was GB -6. If I was a betting man, I’d bet the mortgage on that. Who is betting Vikings +6?
The only thing that could keep the game closer is the wind. It’s gonna be hard to throw downfield, so drives are gonna take longer.

Four holding calls on GB in 3 quarters. What is going on?

Top Bottom