All Things 2020 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Buxton goes down with an apparently serious leg injury. Not shocking but still.

He's the MLB version of Eric Lindros.

"No structural damage". Given his history though, will he be back in August?!?!

Last edited:

He's the MLB version of Eric Lindros.

"No structural damage". Given his history though, will he be back in August?!?!

Perhaps for a week. And then....

Um ... obviously when he heals.
Pretty tough to trade anyone this year. Season starts in 10 days. Trade deadline 8/31. No one knows when/if the next couple seasons will happen due to COVID (2021) and labor issues (2022). It would be selling very low.

Ugg...I know I’ll change my tune when he gets healthy and is racking up triples, but damn I’m getting tired of the never ending Buxton drama.

If he does end up staying with the team long term, I would never offer more than a 2 year deal. But somebody else (Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers) can offer a long term deal and afford to have him get injured and eat payroll and be just fine.

per Sid:

JOTTINGS

• Twins President of Baseball Operations Derek Falvey said the club has been pleased with the physical strength of the pitchers in camp: “I think that’s something that [Rocco Baldelli has] been really impressed by. I know on the pitching side, [pitching coach] Wes [Anderson] feels like most guys — especially the starters — came in having been built up over multiple innings.”

Win Twins!!

Anyone that has T-Mobile can redeem MLB.TV for free once again for this season starting today.

Anyone that has T-Mobile can redeem MLB.TV for free once again for this season starting today.
Do you live in Iowa? Is it true that like half the league is blacked out on MLB TV? (Cubs/Sox/Twins/Brewers/Cardinals/Royals)

Do you live in Iowa? Is it true that like half the league is blacked out on MLB TV? (Cubs/Sox/Twins/Brewers/Cardinals/Royals)
I don't anymore. It sucked though. I was in the southeast corner of Iowa too so not even close to the MN border and the Twins were blacked out there. Crazy and totally ridiculous. I get that a local station could pick up some of their games but they never did. The games should automatically be available on MLB TV if they're not shown locally.

I don't anymore. It sucked though. I was in the southeast corner of Iowa too so not even close to the MN border and the Twins were blacked out there. Crazy and totally ridiculous. I get that a local station could pick up some of their games but they never did. The games should automatically be available on MLB TV if they're not shown locally.
I get that you have to protect RSN rights, but if there are areas that are not clearly in any one team's area, just unblock them all. FS North or Comcast Chicago aren't going to lose major subscribers because a couple counties in Iowa get to stream MLB TV. Keeping customers away from product is never smart.

I get that you have to protect RSN rights, but if there are areas that are not clearly in any one team's area, just unblock them all. FS North or Comcast Chicago aren't going to lose major subscribers because a couple counties in Iowa get to stream MLB TV. Keeping customers away from product is never smart.
It's mind blowing to me and many other people. For years I was willing to pay them $100+ a year to watch the Twins but couldn't.

Apparently the Twins signed Homer Simpson instead of Homer Bailey.

Or Homer Bailey just pitches like Homer Simpson.

with Odorizzi on the Injured list, the pitching depth is suddenly suspect. Berrios and Maeda have to lead the staff, and Rich Hill needs to be decent. After that, it's up to guys like Dobnak and Smeltzer to hold down the fort. Pineda needs to get in shape so he can help when his suspension is finally over.

I think Odo will be OK. I would take Dobnak or Smeltzer in the rotation over Bailey though.

SIAP but what does the RC patch on the Twins jerseys stand for? I have a feeling it’s something obvious that I’m missing.

SIAP but what does the RC patch on the Twins jerseys stand for? I have a feeling it’s something obvious that I’m missing.
I don't know about that, but I'll take the 4-0 lead!

Dick Bremer just said the patch is for a minor leaguer who passed away.

You probably figured it out. RC in honor of the minor leagued player who died. Don't know his name.

Twins scored 10 runs, and it feels like the Sox still dodged several bullets. This lineup is a mine field.

Bullpen looked great, but Berrios is a concern. He didn't miss a lot of bats. No strikeouts til the 4th inning.

Twins scored 10 runs, and it feels like the Sox still dodged several bullets. This lineup is a mine field.

Bullpen looked great, but Berrios is a concern. He didn't miss a lot of bats. No strikeouts til the 4th inning.
The bullpen is going to be really good. Lots of options. Starters just need to be solid.

It’s a little weird without fans but it really wasn’t a big issue for me. I kinda forgot Bremer and Morneau weren’t even at the stadium. It’s good to have baseball back.

It was also the first game. ;)

The bullpen is going to be really good. Lots of options. Starters just need to be solid.

It’s a little weird without fans but it really wasn’t a big issue for me. I kinda forgot Bremer and Morneau weren’t even at the stadium. It’s good to have baseball back.
Agree.

I think the pro's, so far that I've seen on TV (last night, and have caught a few mins here and there of MLS), have pretty much figured out how to do it to the best it can be.

Only thing I would say for last night that was missing ... they should be able to figure out a way to pump in some crowd noise over the speakers. MLS does it just fine.

Haven't read what NHL and NBA plans are, but assuming no fans in the stands.

If NFL has half the brains of a fish, they will not let fans in the stands this year. Not sure if they're smart enough to get there, though.

Agree.

I think the pro's, so far that I've seen on TV (last night, and have caught a few mins here and there of MLS), have pretty much figured out how to do it to the best it can be.

Only thing I would say for last night that was missing ... they should be able to figure out a way to pump in some crowd noise over the speakers. MLS does it just fine.
The one part that's going to really suck is when something dramatic and exciting happens. The A's won last night on a walk-off grand slam in the 10th inning. The players got excited of course but it still wasn't the same.

It is fun to hear the players talking and cheering.

The one part that's going to really suck is when something dramatic and exciting happens. The A's won last night on a walk-off grand slam in the 10th inning. The players got excited of course but it still wasn't the same.

It is fun to hear the players talking and cheering.
MLS figured out how to crank up the "volume" and "excitement" sound parameters, when something good is happening for the "home" team.

Again, I feel like MLB could figure this out. Really helps the ambiance of the broadcast. Everything else is pretty much as good as it will get.

Although one thing .... anyone else feel like Morneau talks "too much"? Felt like the guy wouldn't shut up, at times.

Although one thing .... anyone else feel like Morneau talks "too much"? Felt like the guy wouldn't shut up, at times.
I love listening to him. Lots of great insight that most of us don't think about it. But he can get a little long winded sometimes.

If only they could figure out how to get a game finished in under 3 hours.

Top Bottom