All Things 2020 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Not sure what the point is of even mentioning Steinbrenner. There were long work stoppages in 1981 & 1994-95, not to mention several other shorter ones while the The Boss was in charge.
Nothing specific. Just that he was the most powerful/well known of the owners. How many MLB owners besides the Pohlads can you name? I can maybe get to 5.

Nothing specific. Just that he was the most powerful/well known of the owners. How many MLB owners besides the Pohlads can you name? I can maybe get to 5.

Not, many. I would suppose because once franchises are now mostly worth near a billion (or multi billion) are own by groups or several offspring once the principal owner passed away.

Ones I can still name-

-Twins Pohlad kids
- Yanks Steinbrener kids
- Mets Dupont & Maher
- Marlins Jeter
- Dodgers Magic
- Cubs Ricket
- Angels Moreno
- Astros Crane (only know him from the sign stealing deal)
- White Sox Reinsdorf

One outlet is reporting that anywhere from 6 to 8 owners flat out do not want to play this season, because they think they'll lose less money that way.

One problem MLB has is there are no strong owners to take the bull by the horns. Whatever you think of him, if this was happening in the NFL, Jerry Jones would be all over Roger Goodell. So would Mark Cuban in the NBA probably. Who is that owner in MLB since George Steinbrenner?
One very important thing to remember is that unlike MLB, both the NBA and NFL (I'd have to look to check on NHL) operate with a Shared Revenue model for profit distribution. They WANT to play, and they are going to play. Virus or no virus, those trains are moving forward.

I heard on a podcast today that even if the NFL moved forward and played games WITHOUT fans, they would lose $3 Billion in revenue. This is why I've been telling you all along that there will be games this fall with stadiums full of fans. Without question. Too much money at stake for all parties.

The decision of whether or not people should be going to a game is really not that difficult. The stadiums will make some precautions to do everything they can to make it as safe as possible and at the end of the day, if you don't think it's safe to go to the games, DON'T GO TO THE GAMES. If you're an "at-risk" individual, DON'T GO TO THE GAMES.

All that being said, back to the Twins, I really do hope MLB gets it figured out

One outlet is reporting that anywhere from 6 to 8 owners flat out do not want to play this season, because they think they'll lose less money that way.
I think they lose more long term. It'll definitely piss off people if they don't find a way to play.

one thing that occurred to me.

the last work stoppage in MLB was 94-95.

according to an internet search, of the 30 MLB franchises, 21 have had some type of change in ownership since '95.

so, many of today's owners were not around the last time and may not understand the impact the last work stoppage had on the game.

Also, the new ownership groups are not "baseball men." they are corporate types who bought teams as an investment - not because they have a deep love of the game and its traditions. they are more bottom-line types - as is Manfred, the new commissioner.

Say what you will about Bud Selig, but he was a baseball guy. Loved the game. Hank Aaron was a friend of his.

by comparison, Manfred is a bean-counter. (and a Pinhead!)

Supposedly those 6-8 are saying they "can't make it" if they play. I'm sure the Rays and A's are on the list. Not sure who the other 4-6 are.

First, I don't really buy that. And if it's true, the other owners and the league need to figure out how to keep them afloat. Otherwise the entire league is badly damaged.

one thing that occurred to me.

the last work stoppage in MLB was 94-95.

according to an internet search, of the 30 MLB franchises, 21 have had some type of change in ownership since '95.

so, many of today's owners were not around the last time and may not understand the impact the last work stoppage had on the game.

Also, the new ownership groups are not "baseball men." they are corporate types who bought teams as an investment - not because they have a deep love of the game and its traditions. they are more bottom-line types - as is Manfred, the new commissioner.

Say what you will about Bud Selig, but he was a baseball guy. Loved the game. Hank Aaron was a friend of his.

by comparison, Manfred is a bean-counter. (and a Pinhead!)
Anyone who was alive and followed baseball at all knows the damage it did. Certainly Manfred does. Which makes what he's doing all the more inexplicable. Honestly the Pohlads are one of the longest-tenured owners and could be one of the ones speaking out/leading, but Jim doesn't seem to have that in him.

Manfred won't propose his 50 game schedule because they're afraid of a grievance by thr MLBPA. The owners know they'll lose in court because they're dishonest scumbags.

It's very clear many of you don't understand labor law or have any kind of negotiating skills.

F*ck the owners! Play ball!

Sounds like major progress has been made in the past 24 hrs. 66 game schedule looks to be on the horizon as Phillips and Manfred have what they believe is the makings of something acceptable to both parties.

Good news on the season. And on the same day we get good news, we get this weird Miguel Sano story. Sigh. Minnesota sports. Not even 2020 can change it.

I'm not sure if it belongs on this thread or not, but the Twins' taking down the Calvin Griffith statue because of some dumb comments he made in 1987 have me tearing my hair out.

I will probably find an avenue to express my thoughts on the political board.

But FWIW, I think this is just bleepin' stupid!

and - Twins should demand that Sano remain in the US during the off-season. The guy seems to be a trouble magnet when he's in the DR.

I'm not sure if it belongs on this thread or not, but the Twins' taking down the Calvin Griffith statue because of some dumb comments he made in 1987 have me tearing my hair out.

I will probably find an avenue to express my thoughts on the political board.

But FWIW, I think this is just bleepin' stupid!

and - Twins should demand that Sano remain in the US during the off-season. The guy seems to be a trouble magnet when he's in the DR.

When I first saw that they did this, I thought it was dumb. But then I read the Trib story which refreshed my memory since I had mainly remembered the Waseca speech for him dissing Rod Carew. Sorry, it might have been "some dumb comments" but the fact that Calvin brought baseball to Minnesota doesn't mean he should have a statue honoring him.

"At that point Griffith interrupted himself, lowered his voice and asked if there were any blacks around. After he looked around the room and assured himself that his audience was white, Griffith resumed his answer. 'I'll tell you why we came to Minnesota,' he said. 'It was when I found out you only had 15,000 blacks here. Black people don't go to ball games, but they'll fill up a rassling ring and put up such a chant it'll scare you to death. It's unbelievable. We came here because you've got good, hardworking, white people here.' "

I would agree except you can't really tell him not to go visit his family. Also, does his visa allow him to stay and never go back? Some require you to leave the country at least once a year etc. I don't pretend to be an expert on that part though.

Last edited:

So even though the difference is 60 games vs 70, sounds like the players and owners are at another impasse. And since the Phillies and Blue Jays both have covid outbreaks, it might not matter anyway. Ugh.

Twins manager Rocco Baldelli on 60-game season: 'We will be fine'

There will be a baseball season.

That’s what Twins designated hitter Nelson Cruz has been waiting to hear. The slugger was prepared to leave his home in the Dominican Republic last week, then stop in Florida to visit his hitting coach for a few days before heading for the Twin Cities. He was encouraged by the progress the sides made on June 16 during a meeting in Arizona, but the momentum fizzled, so he stayed home.

But on Tuesday, Cruz said he was “headed up there in a couple of days.”

His teammates are making travel arrangements as well, some of which could be challenging because of dwindling options caused by the coronavirus, which halted the season in the first place on March 12.

“It will be a rush,” Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said, “but we will be fine. Flights are more limited, too. [Senior director of team travel] Mike Herman will have to save the day.”

While the prolonged and unsuccessful negotiations exposed both sides’ inability to collaborate for the good of baseball, at least there will be games to play. The Twins and other clubs will need about three weeks for pitchers to get stretched out to start games and hitters to work on their timing — the former more so than the latter.

Once they are ready, they will embark on a season unlike any other, one vastly different from the one they were supposed to play in back in late March.

Win Twins!!

so, based on what I've seen, it looks like the Twins will play 10 games against each of the other teams in their division (Cleveland, White Sox, KC and Detroit.) Then, they will play 4 games against each team from the NL Central division (Pirates, Reds, Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers).

as of today, I have not seen any schedule released, so I don't know if they would play home-and-home series against the NL teams or just play one 4-game series either home or away.

It's a moot point with no fans, but I would love to see a Twins game at Wrigley. Haven't been to a game there in over 20 years.

If Rich Hill is ready (he should be) the Twins will have a very solid rotation even without Michael Pineda. Berrios, Odorizzi, Hill, Maeda and one of Homer Baily, Dobnak or Chacin. Combined with their line-up there's no excuses for a slump.

I'm not convinced a game gets played. The Rona is getting out of control in a lot of states. Lots of opening up too early, lots of people not wearing masks, and little physical distancing. The red states are now getting creamed because of it.

I'm thinking at a minimum they may have to consider the "hub" model the AA is using. Have each division in one city. That's where 2/3 of the games are anyway. It will make for a lot of day games playing two games/day in each stadium but it's better than nothing.

Saw a tweet today (thursday) that Sano will not face any charges in the DR over the alleged kidnapping incident. so, with any luck, he should be cleared to return to the States for Summer Training. (no, I'm not calling it Spring training if it's taking place in July).

Saw a tweet today (thursday) that Sano will not face any charges in the DR over the alleged kidnapping incident. so, with any luck, he should be cleared to return to the States for Summer Training. (no, I'm not calling it Spring training if it's taking place in July).
I have no idea if he's guilty of anything, but I'm guessing in the DR it's pretty easy for a millionaire to make charges "go away."

per Shooter:

Good bet: The Twins will trade left fielder Eddie Rosario, who turns 29 in September, before this short-season’s deadline of Aug. 31.

Rosario, who has a one-year contract for a pro-rated $2.65 million this season, should be able to fetch a pitching prospect or two from among several teams needing offensive punch for the 10-team playoffs. Retaining Eddie would be blocking progress for top prospects Trevor Larnach, 23, and Alex Kirilloff, 22.

Win Twins!!

per Shooter:

Good bet: The Twins will trade left fielder Eddie Rosario, who turns 29 in September, before this short-season’s deadline of Aug. 31.

Rosario, who has a one-year contract for a pro-rated $2.65 million this season, should be able to fetch a pitching prospect or two from among several teams needing offensive punch for the 10-team playoffs. Retaining Eddie would be blocking progress for top prospects Trevor Larnach, 23, and Alex Kirilloff, 22.

Win Twins!!
Not unless things go very poorly. In the off-season, very likely.

Not unless things go very poorly. In the off-season, very likely.

Could happen sooner, if everyone is healthy & Sano plays competent at 1B. Granted that is a big IF, outfield could be Gonzalez, Buxton & Kepler.

Could happen sooner, if everyone is healthy & Sano plays competent at 1B. Granted that is a big IF, outfield could be Gonzalez, Buxton & Kepler.
If they are in/near first place, I don't see them dumping a key guy like Rosario during the season. There would be a lot of upset guys in the clubhouse. Besides the odds of everyone staying healthy and productive among Buxton/Sano/Donaldson/Rosario/Gonzalez/Kepler isn't that high, IMO.

Top Bottom