All Things 2020 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Devin Smeltzer is the reason remote-controls were invented.

Stand on the mound for 30 seconds, then throw an off-speed pitch a foot out of the strike zone.
stand on the mound for 30 seconds, then throw another off-speed pitch a foot out of the strike zone.

Brings the game to a screeching halt.

MLB has to put in a pitch clock and the umps have to enforce it strictly.

A bit more information taken from this Sunday's Tribune

The Twins are wearing a black patch with white “RC” letters in honor of minor league infielder Ryan Costello. The 23-year-old Connecticut native, who was to play in the Australian Baseball League over the offseason, was found dead in his New Zealand hotel room in November.

So, for anyone who was wondering if Nelson Cruz was going to see a drop-off in productivity after turning 40............

Twins have scored 10 or more runs in 2 of their 1st three games - with Donaldson struggling and Buxton not in the lineup.

If they ever get everyone in the lineup and clicking at the same time, it's scary how good the batting order should be.

Meaning that, as long as the pitching is just decent, they can win a lot of games.

Encouraging outing from Maeda on Sunday.

Also didn't realize until Provus mentioned it near the end of the game - Taylor Rogers and Sergio Romo have not appeared in a game yet, because they have not been in a "protecting a small lead late in the game" type of situation.

Graphic is wrong. Modern era started in 1901 - the inception of the AL. SON, do you know anything about how close Minnesota came to having an founding AL franchise? I heard something a while back saying it was actually quite close? Then "we" waited 60 more years. Any insight on that?

Graphic is wrong. Modern era started in 1901 - the inception of the AL. SON, do you know anything about how close Minnesota came to having an founding AL franchise? I heard something a while back saying it was actually quite close? Then "we" waited 60 more years. Any insight on that?

Ok - try to keep this short. There was a group called the "Western League" that was active in the pre-1900 era. (1894-1900) The Minneapolis Millers were part of the league.

In 1901, the Western League re-organized as the American League in order to challenge the existing National League as a "major league." After a period of the American and National Leagues competing against each other, they agreed to work together and the 1st World Series was played in 1903.

Now- back to Minneapolis. When the Western League was re-organizing as the American League, the organizers decided they needed teams in larger cities to be taken seriously. so the teams in Mpls, Buffalo, KC and Indianapolis were dropped and replaced by teams in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston and Washington, DC. The Kansas City Blues moved to Washington as the Senators - and of course, the Senators eventually moved to MN to become the Twins.

The Detroit Tigers were the only Western League team that made it into the American League under the same name and location.

The Minneapolis Millers from the old Western League became a long-time minor league franchise, mostly in the Triple-A American Association. Ted Williams and Willie Mays are two of the top players who wore the Millers jersey.

Ok - try to keep this short. There was a group called the "Western League" that was active in the pre-1900 era. (1894-1900) The Minneapolis Millers were part of the league.

In 1901, the Western League re-organized as the American League in order to challenge the existing National League as a "major league." After a period of the American and National Leagues competing against each other, they agreed to work together and the 1st World Series was played in 1903.

Now- back to Minneapolis. When the Western League was re-organizing as the American League, the organizers decided they needed teams in larger cities to be taken seriously. so the teams in Mpls, Buffalo, KC and Indianapolis were dropped and replaced by teams in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston and Washington, DC. The Kansas City Blues moved to Washington as the Senators - and of course, the Senators eventually moved to MN to become the Twins.

The Detroit Tigers were the only Western League team that made it into the American League under the same name and location.

The Minneapolis Millers from the old Western League became a long-time minor league franchise, mostly in the Triple-A American Association. Ted Williams and Willie Mays are two of the top players who wore the Millers jersey.
Holy East Coast bias!! That's great information and I forgot they didn't start the WS until 1903. And I had no idea the Senators started in KC. Great information. SON, you really should have a blog or column somewhere. Your historical knowledge and interests rival Reusse. You are also a good writer. You would be a fun golf partner.

The Millers had some incredible players play in Minneapolis. In addition to Williams and Mays as you note, Yaz led them to the 1959 Junior World Series, Orlando Cepeda, Monte Irvin, Felipe Alou, etc.

Go Millers!!

Really enjoyed Morneau on the analysis. Good to see bert is only doing 1/4 of the games this year.

Marlins now 17 players with the virus. Uugh, really going to be disappointing if season is shut down and we wont be able to see where the twins could take this season.

Enjoy the Twins while you can. Marlins outbreak will happen to every team.

Enjoy the Twins while you can. Marlins outbreak will happen to every team.

Without knowing the tracing of the Marlin's situation, it's hard to say it will happen to "every" team to that extent anyway. Did some get it in Miami (hotbed) before the road trip and then it spread among them while in transit? Did they get it at the hotel? The clubhouse?

One key will be did any of them infect the opposing team? If the Phillies also have an outbreak, then I'm with you, stick a fork in it...it's done.

Without knowing the tracing of the Marlin's situation, it's hard to say it will happen to "every" team to that extent anyway. Did some get it in Miami (hotbed) before the road trip and then it spread among them while in transit? Did they get it at the hotel? The clubhouse?

One key will be did any of them infect the opposing team? If the Phillies also have an outbreak, then I'm with you, stick a fork in it...it's done.
I doubt it happens to "every" team, but I think it only has to happen to 2-3 more and they'll pack it in.

He's the MLB version of Eric Lindros.

"No structural damage". Given his history though, will he be back in August?!?!

Kudos to Buck, he made it back more than a month earlier than I suspected.

Warmest high temp for a Twins Home Opener ever?

I think we need a "Free Taylor Rogers" campaign.
Twins are 3-1 and their closer has not appeared in a game yet.

I suppose that's a good problem to have.

Anyone else think those cardboard cutout heads behind the plate looked creepy? They looked like they were all duck hunting, sitting in the weeds.

I have no problem with the practice in general, but c'mon...how about measuring them beforehand or do a test run?!?

Anyone else think those cardboard cutout heads behind the plate looked creepy? They looked like they were all duck hunting, sitting in the weeds.

I have no problem with the practice in general, but c'mon...how about measuring them beforehand or do a test run?!?
Well they'll be replacing them with all of the fans ugly mugs next homestand.

I didn't mind those as much as the canned crowd noise. Was it Sano that tried to pump up the fake crowd after his double? :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

I'd rather he not run into the wall in a 4 run game in the first week of the season.
That wasn’t the issue. He was basically set and leaped up high when he barely needed to jump, if at all. Instead of hitting the pocket of his glove it hit the heel and bounced over. It was definitely short of the fence when it hit his glove.

That wasn’t the issue. He was basically set and leaped up high when he barely needed to jump, if at all. Instead of hitting the pocket of his glove it hit the heel and bounced over. It was definitely short of the fence when it hit his glove.
I don't disagree, but I saw a lot of "See! This is what happens when you don't let him play all out!" takes too.

that's it. he mis-timed his jump. maybe he got nervous approaching the wall, or maybe his timing is off as he returns from the ankle injury. But at least he didn't run into the wall. I suppose that's something.

I don't disagree, but I saw a lot of "See! This is what happens when you don't let him play all out!" takes too.
Those "takes" are stupid, because he was there ahead of time and not on the run. I've made hundreds of catches running toward the fence and set at the fence. There's a big difference. He blew his jump and I'm sure he would admit it. My comment was tongue-in-cheek and the event was a signal of rust, nothing else.

The A-team in the bullpen has the potential to be really good. Romo is becoming one of my favorite Twins - for the beard, the attitude, and the balls it takes to get out major league hitters while throwing 75mph. the dude flat out knows how to pitch.

I think it's time to acknowledge that Falvey and Levine knew what they were doing when they went into the college ranks to grab Wes Johnson as pitching coach.

We've come a long way from the days when Dick Such would come out to the mound and give pitchers sage advice like "work fast, throw strikes."

Top Bottom