All Things 2016 NCAA Tourney Thread

So to recap, Koenig makes a 3 that was about a 20% shot to tie it. Then the referee makes an absolutely egregious "look at me" charge call to give Wisconsin the ball back with a chance to win. Finally, Koenig makes a 3 that was about a 10% shot to win it. We're well under 1% probability here.

The last shot was a good shot, he'll make a lot of those, he was moving/shooting in rhythmn, wasn't pressured, the way it played out it wasn't unexpected, the fact that Xavier didn't deny him the ball was the most surprising part of that play.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Such an annoying charge call. I will say, they've been calling that crap all tournament that way. Might have to talk about changing that in the offseason.

The last 42 seconds of regulation had to be the craziest ending for a NCAA tourney game I have ever seen. UNI could not have coughed it up any faster and let A&M score any quicker than that. Just crazy!

Gard seems kind of emotional after the reporter brings up the death of his dad. If it weren't Wisconsin, I'd be kinda happy for them.

I know it's a faux pas here, but I don't hate Gard yet. I'm sure I'll grow into it, but fack. Dude lost his dad to cancer last year and that gets me

I know it's a faux pas here, but I don't hate Gard yet. I'm sure I'll grow into it, but fack. Dude lost his dad to cancer last year and that gets me

Yeah, I just mentioned in another thread that Gard hasn't really earned my ire yet, and I was rather sympathetic to him in that moment.

For further reference, if anyone was watching the last minute of the Northern Iowa - Texas A&M game and said, "I have never seen anything like this before," you were right, you hadn't. Because it has never happened before in the history of college basketball. Amazing.

A couple things- charge call on Xavier was legit, WI kid was in position and did a great job of selling it. Shocking how much more talent WI and X have in their front court v. MN (but then we knew that).

UNI collapse in last minute was unbelievable especially from a well coached team. Downside to that comeback is that coaches will continue to think they have a chance no matter the deficit. Last 5 minutes of games will continue to take 45 minutes with time outs and fouls.

Despite the epic collapse, UNI still had a chance to win it at the end of the first OT. That Jesperson kid tried to play hero again and launched it from beyond half court with about 5 seconds left on the clock. They had more than enough time to get a decent look.

Someone please correct me if I'm getting the rule wrong, but watching the highlight on the last shot, the inbounder either takes 4 steps, or two steps and a jump, depending on your definition of a jump, before passing the ball in. That's a travel and Xavier ball

A couple things- charge call on Xavier was legit, WI kid was in position and did a great job of selling it. Shocking how much more talent WI and X have in their front court v. MN (but then we knew that).

UNI collapse in last minute was unbelievable especially from a well coached team. Downside to that comeback is that coaches will continue to think they have a chance no matter the deficit. Last 5 minutes of games will continue to take 45 minutes with time outs and fouls.

Agreed, I was still surprised they blew the whistle. If you compare that call to the call in the ND game and at the end and with the scrum around the rim there just isn't any consistency to whether or not the ref's are going to swallow their whistle down the stretch on 50/50 plays or if they are going to call it tight.

I thought it was another heady move by a Wisconsin player (and we all hate when they do that) that got the call. It was a charge, but I wouldn't and I don't think anyone would have been upset with a play on in that situation given the unwritten rules of end game refereeing

PS - If you were a part of the media writting articles as games finished how many times did they write, without hyperbole, "In what was possibly the greatest finish to an NCAA game in recent memory"? Each finish seemed to one up the other. This is why live sports are the greatest thing ever created.

Despite the epic collapse, UNI still had a chance to win it at the end of the first OT. That Jesperson kid tried to play hero again and launched it from beyond half court with about 5 seconds left on the clock. They had more than enough time to get a decent look.

The turnover at the end of regulation was the worst choice of all the options Washpun had, as his missed attempt at throwing it off the defense led the Aggie right to the basket. UNI had the possession arrow, so allowing them to tie up the ball probably would have ended it. Or just blindly heave the ball as far as you can towards the other end or throw it straight up in the air.

Such an annoying charge call. I will say, they've been calling that crap all tournament that way. Might have to talk about changing that in the offseason.

It was a fine call. He had position. He just oversold it which made it look annoying.

I thought the BK shot looked pressured myself.

It was a fine call. He had position. He just oversold it which made it look annoying.

I thought the BK shot looked pressured myself.

And that is why I don't like the call. Should never reward someone for flopping in my opinion. He was falling back before contact was even made.

Reminds me of Winona State's collapse in the D2 title game several years ago - also by a well coached team. I guess poop happens sometimes.

The turnover at the end of regulation was the worst choice of all the options Washpun had, as his missed attempt at throwing it off the defense led the Aggie right to the basket. UNI had the possession arrow, so allowing them to tie up the ball probably would have ended it. Or just blindly heave the ball as far as you can towards the other end or throw it straight up in the air.

Yes either of those would have been better. I have a feeling the ending of that game will be used by coaches for both sides of the story (never give up and don't panic).

Jespersen's defense in the last 30 seconds of regulation was terrible. If you look at the last, tying score in regulation, he actually steps aside to let the Aggie get by him.

Yes either of those would have been better. I have a feeling the ending of that game will be used by coaches for both sides of the story (never give up and don't panic).

You have to believe Jacobson had told the team about the possession arrow - if he didn't, that's inexcusable on his part. If he did, I guess even seniors can get rattled and suffer brain freeze.

Jespersen's defense in the last 30 seconds of regulation was terrible. If you look at the last, tying score in regulation, he actually steps aside to let the Aggie get by him.

Absolutely. It's like they took Jacobson's direction of DO NOT FOUL waaaaay overboard and then applied it all the way to the end even though the circumstances had obviously changed.

Someone please correct me if I'm getting the rule wrong, but watching the highlight on the last shot, the inbounder either takes 4 steps, or two steps and a jump, depending on your definition of a jump, before passing the ball in. That's a travel and Xavier ball
You're getting the rule wrong. The inbounder can dance a jig as long as he doesn't move more than 3 feet.

Article 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:
a The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented
disposal of the ball out of bounds as in 4-11.1.a through .c.
b. The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.
c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until
the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not
in effect for a throw-in.
d. The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until he has released the
ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line.

This is pretty accurate.

nova got a few monkeys off their back tonight.

that is a very weak technical on maryland.

Another awful charging call. That wasn't even close to an offensive foul on Trimble.

Seeing Duke and spoiled ass Grayson Allen go out in flames was quite the treat

If I could redo my bracket, I'd have Oklahoma winning it all. I have them in the final anyway, but I'm a big believer in guard play this time of year and there's not a better trio in the country than Hield/Cousins/Woodard.

Top Bottom