All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

He would definitely take both. It would fix the black hole at the 3 for next season, and prepare for the mass exodus the season after.

Only problem is that wouldn't allow us to get both a grad transfer at PF and a center (unless someone transfers).

Only problem is that wouldn't allow us to get both a grad transfer at PF and a center (unless someone transfers).

Who cares. You take two 4-star wings if you can get them. We desperately need wings that fit Pitino's system.

We can make a front court of King, Martin, 14 player, Illkainen, and another 15 player (Thomas ;) ) work in 2015.

We really need a guy like Cohen. If we could land him and Piper, then we could have a foundation for good perimeter defense. Long and athletic wings make a difference on the perimeter.

I really have no idea how he is going to make it work, other than just taking the best players available. If push comes to shove, I'm guessing some combination of Martin and Illkainen will fill the 4 and 5 in 2015/16.

Who cares. You take two 4-star wings if you can get them. We desperately need wings that fit Pitino's system.

We can make a front court of King, Martin, 14 player, Illkainen, and another 15 player (Thomas ;) ) work in 2015.

Not saying we shouldn't, just saying it's the only downside. If Buggs can show some consistency in the NIT I would be much more comfortable with it. We could just take Konate then and forget about the grad transfer PF. A consistent Buggs and Josh Martin at the 4 next year would likely be a big upgrade over what we had this year and it would be exciting to add both Piper and Cohen. That type of length and athleticism would be really nice to have on the wing.

Hope we get him, but as I've learned about recruiting don't count your chickens before they hatch, will know in a couple weeks what are recruiting class is gonna look like.

I think the question that has to be answered is can either Piper or Cohen shoot or defend well enough to allow them to play at the same time. Watching this years tournament it is scary to see how bad the shooting has become at the DI level. You need to have a shooter at the wing. If either guy can shoot and defend well enough to be an actual guard we should get them both. Having that kind of size on the perimeter would be a great asset especially with so many backcourts built around guys 6'4" or under.

If you can get both of these guys then you get your center. If you get an active center who can move it may allow the team to play 2 centers at the same time especially with Elliason on the floor who is a great passer from the high post. Martin, Buggs, and a little King and freshman center might be enough for the PF spot.

I think the question that has to be answered is can either Piper or Cohen shoot or defend well enough to allow them to play at the same time. Watching this years tournament it is scary to see how bad the shooting has become at the DI level. You need to have a shooter at the wing. If either guy can shoot and defend well enough to be an actual guard we should get them both. Having that kind of size on the perimeter would be a great asset especially with so many backcourts built around guys 6'4" or under.

If you can get both of these guys then you get your center. If you get an active center who can move it may allow the team to play 2 centers at the same time especially with Elliason on the floor who is a great passer from the high post. Martin, Buggs, and a little King and freshman center might be enough for the PF spot.

If we get both Cohen and Piper, I am happy to take Konate and redshirt him. Let Martin/Buggs/King man the PF spot. It would be ideal to grab a grad transfer PF, but I would rather have more athletic wings to fill Pitino's system (and press) than a one year rental at PF.

Cohen shot 39% from 3 and 77% from the line in the EYBL last summer. Not a huge sample size, only 18 games, but it seems like he is at least a capable shooter. Couldn't find any stats on Piper.

Maybe a dumb question, but has there been anything linking us to Cohen? I remember seeing his name last spring/summer, but I don't recall if we were really in the mix for him. I know he's a Wisconsin kid but Seymour is pretty far East. I'd have to imagine there are a lot of D1 schools as close or closer for him than us.

Maybe a dumb question, but has there been anything linking us to Cohen? I remember seeing his name last spring/summer, but I don't recall if we were really in the mix for him. I know he's a Wisconsin kid but Seymour is pretty far East. I'd have to imagine there are a lot of D1 schools as close or closer for him than us.

I haven't heard anything since he decommitted, but he seemed to be pretty high on MN before he committed to Marquette so I think that's why people are assuming we're back in the mix for him.

True especially missing out on the top players in the state. I won't blame Pitino for those just because he wasn't here for that long. I was talking to a friend that was close with Tyus Jones at the state tournament last weekend and he said Gophers had no chance. He said once the big schools come in, and they start offering all these great facilities to go the Gophers just can't compete. All I'm going to say is Gophers better upgrade facilities or otherwise every year were going to finish in the 7 to 9 range in the BigTen.

According to twitter reports, Cohen has not been released yet, and has to wait for a new coach to be hired before being released due to Marquette sports policy

If someone is disappointed with this year's class they unrealistically expected us to get one (or more) of the Big 3, which was never going to happen. Also, our class isn't complete yet so it's silly to already decide whether it's a good class or bad class. The 3 guys we do have signed are all going to fill a need and should contribute immediately.

Apparently Marquette has contacted Ben Howland. Let's hope whoever they hire isn't able to convince Cohen to stay.

If someone is disappointed with this year's class they unrealistically expected us to get one (or more) of the Big 3, which was never going to happen. Also, our class isn't complete yet so it's silly to already decide whether it's a good class or bad class. The 3 guys we do have signed are all going to fill a need and should contribute immediately.

Better than that, we're rated 65th in the country.

I'm not down on this year's class, just not super pumped. I haven't seen them play and so I'll reserve judgement until after they suit up. But it's silly to say they will contribute immediately. Anytime you lose 5 guys from one team, the incoming players will be expected to contribute. The real question will be can they be starters when we lose 5 more guys next year?

Piper making decision when he gets back from NY. So whenever that is

Top Bottom