All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Sid Hartman: Gophers basketball needs more size in next year's recruits

When it comes to the other two scholarships Pitino has available, he has been targeting a couple of big men who could really help. Anas Osama Mahmoud, a 7-1 Egyptian-born player from West Oaks Academy in Orlando, visited the Gophers this week. He is also considering offers from Arizona State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina State and Texas A&M, among others.

Also in town this week on an official visit was Bakary Konate, a 6-11 center from Mali who also has offers from Louisville and Mississippi. Konate is playing at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kan.

It’s apparent Pitino needs to add length with these last two scholarships available to go with the guards that he recruited in Mason and Morris if the Gophers are to contend next season.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/246459651.html

Go Gophers!!

Sid: "Yup, that Bloodgopher guy is a close personal friend. He let's me know what's going on at that rabbithole thing..................HUH?..............WHAT?. "Listen, I know way more people over there at rabbithole than you do............You're a genius."

Sid: "Yup, that Bloodgopher guy is a close personal friend. He let's me know what's going on at that rabbithole thing..................HUH?..............WHAT?. "Listen, I know way more people over there at rabbithole than you do............You're a genius."

Ha! Well done.

Go Gophers!!

That gives me the hankering for another episode of "As the Gopherhole Turns" or whatever it was. Moonlight...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p>I will be announcing my schedule for my college visits tonight after Senior Night!!! # Big Decisions !!!! # stay tuned #</p>— kobe eubanks (@kobeeubanks) <a href="https://twitter.com/kobeeubanks/statuses/436952232253456384">February 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I might be a tough critic when it comes to humor, but I find very few attempts at humor on the GopherHole funny. This was outstanding.

I might be a tough critic when it comes to humor, but I find very few attempts at humor on the GopherHole funny. This was outstanding.

tumblr_n01w30GNB81smuueao1_500.gif

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/kobeeubanks">@kobeeubanks</a> Plans to visit Wichita State March 1st, Pitt March 3rd, Univ of Missouri March 5th, Baylor TBA, Minnesota TBA
<a href="https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247">@jerrymeyer247</a></p>— Iowa Elites (@IowaElites) <a href="https://twitter.com/IowaElites/statuses/437301722541617152">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/kobeeubanks">@kobeeubanks</a> Plans to visit Wichita State March 1st, Pitt March 3rd, Univ of Missouri March 5th, Baylor TBA, Minnesota TBA
<a href="https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247">@jerrymeyer247</a></p>— Iowa Elites (@IowaElites) <a href="https://twitter.com/IowaElites/statuses/437301722541617152">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

Looks like his schedule is open during the Penn State game. Hopefully he visits then.

Yup, that would be senior day, will get to see 3 wing players being honored, it would be hard for him to not notice the playing time opportunity that awaits him next year in Minnesota

Piper retweeted a fan tweeting at Eubanks that him and Piper would be great at the U together.

My pipedream is still possible. Just need Oto to transfer after graduation so we can ink Mahmoud, Piper, and Eubanks.

Mason, Morris, Martin, Mahmoud, Piper, Eubanks would be a hell of a class haha.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What is your order of preference for the five we know we are actively recruiting right now?

Mine would be Mahmoud, Eubanks, Piper, Konate, Gueye (in that order)

EDIT: curious what others think too

Eubanks plays on a team full of talent for next year, including Cheick Diallo(5 star PF) who gophers have offered but are a long shot with at the moment. So not only would eubanks help us on the court but he'd possibly help us get a some players. If Pitt gets Eubanks, they will be in good position for Cheick Diallo, since they also already have a commitment from a 2015 from the same high school, which probably helps their recruitment with Eubanks as well.

Madtown -- what is your order of preference for the five we know we are actively recruiting right now?

I'm not madtown, but I got the same order. Really want both Eubanks and Piper because they are different players. Eubanks is a shooter which we need, and Piper is a slasher/attack the rim, defensive stud, which is also what we need. Eubanks is a good replacement for smith and Piper for Austin

What is your order of preference for the five we know we are actively recruiting right now?

EDIT: curious what others think too

Same order! Mahmoud is a necessity with our needs at the two post positions. I also think a sharpshooter like Eubanks would really help us out as soon as next year.

I'm not madtown, but I got the same order. Really want both Eubanks and Piper because they are different players. Eubanks is a shooter which we need, and Piper is a slasher/attack the rim, defensive stud, which is also what we need. Eubanks is a good replacement for smith and Piper for Austin

This is where I'm at. I really like Eubanks and Piper. Either would be great, both would be even better. But yeah Mahmoud is my #1.

I'll go against the trend and say Eubanks #1

Then Mahmoud, then Piper, then Konate, then Gueye.

I pick Eubanks #1 because we are in desperate need of a shooter next year and also in desperate need of another wing with legit size. Mahmoud 2 because he's the most talented big by most accounts. Piper 3 because he's got size and athleticism on the wing and has a stronger frame than Eubanks, but isn't the shooter that Eubanks is. Konate because I've at least seen a video of him and he looks the part, and I've never seen Gueye.

Maybe Pitino wasn't playing Buggs so it looked like we needed Piper and Eubanks more than we actually do. ;)

Why Didn't He Sign Early?

The early signing period went by and Cunningham made official visits to Creighton, Bradley, Oklahoma and Iowa State. So why didn't he sign with a school?

"I felt I wasn't ready, and I didn't get to know the coaches as well as I wanted to," Cunningham said.

With Cunningham having taken four of his five available official visits, he has a choice to make on his final trip. He will make that decision among Indiana, South Carolina, St. John's and Minnesota, though Michigan State is showing interest. South Carolina jumped into the race right after the early signing period.

"South Carolina plays great defense, and Coach [Frank] Martin is a great defensive coach and someone I feel can prepare me for the next level," Cunningham said. "Meanwhile Indiana jumped in about a month ago."

Indiana is known for developing its players, and Cunningham could replace freshman forward Noah Vonleh, who will likely declare for the NBA draft this summer.

"I am looking for a school where I have a good chance to earn minutes as a freshman and a coaching staff that will push me to my potential," Cunningham said.

Any word on when Eubanks is going to make an official here? We only have one game left at home.He also said he was going to visit Baylor, but they only have one game left at home and he is visiting Pitt at the time. Also what is the word on Piper? When is he going to take his official to washington, they got 2 home games(ucla, usc) left. Regular season ends next week. Not sure why these kids try to make these visits last minute like this, this is a big life decision, why wait and then try to rush the process last minute? I assume they will likely have to make visits after the regular reason and just not catch a basketball game.

Any word on when Eubanks is going to make an official here? We only have one game left at home.He also said he was going to visit Baylor, but they only have one game left at home and he is visiting Pitt at the time. Also what is the word on Piper? When is he going to take his official to washington, they got 2 home games(ucla, usc) left. Regular season ends next week. Not sure why these kids try to make these visits last minute like this, this is a big life decision, why wait and then try to rush the process last minute? I assume they will likely have to make visits after the regular reason and just not catch a basketball game.

Maybe Washington is slow playing him? Haven't paid attention to their recruiting so no idea what the odds are of that, but certainly a possibility that would bode well for us if true.

I thought Eubanks was coming for PSU, but maybe I'm imagining that.

I remember saying that he had an opening in his schedule during that time so it would be ideal for him to come for that game. Don't remember it being reported that he was actually going to though.

Top Bottom