All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

He was on the egyptian national team in 2013 (3rd stringer), they came in 2nd place for the FIBA African championship. Another player on that team is Assem Marei (he started in front of anas), he plays for Minnesota State Mankato, Hopefully he is doing his part and telling anas good things about Minnesota

fun fact, they also have a player named Jordan Micheal on their national team

yep
Assem Marei Pos: F Height : 6-9 Weight: 250 Class: Sophomore Hometown: Cairo, Egypt
http://www.msumavericks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4169

He was on the egyptian national team in 2013 (3rd stringer), they came in 2nd place for the FIBA African championship. Another player on that team is Assem Marei (he started in front of anas), he plays for Minnesota State Mankato, Hopefully he is doing his part and telling anas good things about Minnesota

So we're recruiting a guy that was a back-up to a Mankato player?:rolleyes:

I think the recruiting services list his position as center by default. Most of them have not seen him play. I've read he is more of a PF right now, but at 7'2 there is no question he could play center with some added weight. I don't think he'd be redshirted though. He has the agility, athleticism and skill to play the PF position right away. Basketball players are rarely redshirted, especially highly talented ones like Mahmoud.

It's about who you guard on defense that makes your position. He will be a center on defense. It won't matter if he plays like a 3 or 4 on offense. He will occupy the floor with a traditional 4 without a problem.

So we're recruiting a guy that was a back-up to a Mankato player?

yup, but to be fair, Marei is a F'ing stud, and can probably play D1 somewhere now. On top of that, word is Anas had a big growth spurt recently and was a late bloomer when it came to playing basketball.

It's about who you guard on defense that makes your position. He will be a center on defense. It won't matter if he plays like a 3 or 4 on offense. He will occupy the floor with a traditional 4 without a problem.

As someone who hasn't played basketball since he was about 6, I've really always assumed that the main difference between a PF and a C is size. Can somebody spell out the difference for me, especially on the offensive end?

As someone who hasn't played basketball since he was about 6, I've really always assumed that the main difference between a PF and a C is size. Can somebody spell out the difference for me, especially on the offensive end?

It was about size, but the game has changed so much with stretch 4s and 5s. Big men now play outside the paint. There isn't a traditional role that big men play on offense anymore. There is on defense.

Just posted this so you might have missed it so I re-post (like a echo of myself)

Here is a clip of his Published on Feb 3, 2014
Anas Osama Mahoud 7'2 NBA Prospect from Egypt - West Oaks 2014 #69 ESPN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0BEJP6dTA

That video was first posted back on page 96. I think most people have seen it. I mean most recruiting services probably haven't seen actual game film or seen him in person.

My echo of myself is an echo of prior me but that too was an echo of page 96
so so we (a pause)
So we put our hands up like the ceiling can’t hold us
Tonight is the night, we’ll fight 'til it’s over
Like the ceiling can’t hold us

The winner is not the echo right? Oh wait this is a basketball board... Cool
Can't wait to watch Jeff Jones at a football game....
Read more: http://kodak.boards.net/thread/6625/gold#ixzz2tcOj3V4c
That video was first posted back on page 96. I think most people have seen it. I mean most recruiting services probably haven't seen actual game film or seen him in person.

My echo of myself is an echo of prior me but that too was an echo of page 96
so so we (a pause)
Tonight is the night, we’ll fight 'til it’s over
Like the ceiling can’t hold us

The winner is not the echo right? Oh wait this is a basketball board... Cool
Can't wait to watch Jeff Jones at a football game....
Read more: http://kodak.boards.net/thread/6625/gold#ixzz2tcOj3V4c

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

mindblown.gif

mindblown7.gif

In other news, ironically, Tyus Jones' girlfriend has just committed to Minnesota for vb after de-committing from Marquette earlier this week. Not that it would have changed things, but it's too bad this didn't happen 4-5 months earlier.

Carlos Morris update: Last 4 games, he is averaging 24 pts/gm, with 48% from outside the arc. He also has had 46 ft attempts, though he only hit 65%.

Carlos Morris update: Last 4 games, he is averaging 24 pts/gm, with 48% from outside the arc. He also has had 46 ft attempts, though he only hit 65%.

Can't wait for spin artist Howie to tell us why Morris is actually playing worst basketball of his life and that he hasn't been attending any of his classes.

Can't wait for spin artist Howie to tell us why Morris is actually playing worst basketball of his life and that he hasn't been attending any of his classes.

The numbers are there for all to see and he is actually playing better as of late. The past 3 games are 3 of the 7 highest scoring games in his college career. In conference 3 point shooting % is now 29.2% vs. 25.4% last season. Overall in conference shooting % is 35.8% vs. 37.8% last season.

Pollyanna, can you explain to us again why he is better than Austin Hollins?

EDIT: I have not been to Florida to see him play.

Who knows if he is better than Austin, but I will not be surprised if he is. Austin, aside from good man to man defense, hasn't given us a whole lot this year. I'll take my chances with Morris or potentially one of Piper/Eubanks as the starting 3 next year.

The numbers are there for all to see and he is actually playing better as of late. The past 3 games are 3 of the 7 highest scoring games in his college career. In conference 3 point shooting % is now 29.2% vs. 25.4% last season. Overall in conference shooting % is 35.8% vs. 37.8% last season.

Pollyanna, can you explain to us again why he is better than Austin Hollins?

EDIT: I have not been to Florida to see him play.

Howie, he isnt playing better. He is now the "man" without Graham and Bowers, and he is delivering

:you'reanannoyingdooshbagwhothinkshe'stheshiitbutshouldleavethisboardandnevercomebackandsticktosuckingbuzz'sdick:

Edit: I guess they haven't created that emoticon yet...

This **** is funny as hell. Thank you Matt!

Howie, he isnt playing better. He is now the "man" without Graham and Bowers, and he is delivering

I understand he's sharing the spotlight with Cassel and playing very well for a shorthanded team. Obviously I don't know, but I'm guessing Pat Blake is a very good coach. I just don't see how that translates to success in the B1G. Look, once he's on campus and wears the maroon and gold, I'll support him like I do all the other players.

If Morris puts things together and stays on track he can be very good for Minnesota this coming fall.

Could be an interesting attack with three guard/wings capable of creating for themselves (Mathieu, Dre Hollins, Morris)

Pitino has shown the ability to successfully bring together a bunch of players who had not played with each other. I am optimistic that Morris and the 2 other signed recruits as well potentially Anas and Piper/Eubanks will make next years team better than this year.

Would it be a violation for an outsider such as Gorgui Dieng to be part of any official visit? He's had some pretty great public endorsements of Richard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be a violation for an outsider such as Gorgui Dieng to be part of any official visit? He's had some pretty great public endorsements of Richard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unintentionally no, intentionally yes.

Too bad, if the Wolves weren't on the road this weekend it would have been convenient for Gorgui to pull the "Victor Oladipo drop-in" during Anas' official. You know, just to say hello to Richard.

no different then Condoleezza Rice ironically walking the campus of stanford and ironically running into Reid Travis during his visit. What irony!

no different then Condoleezza Rice ironically walking the campus of stanford and ironically running into Reid Travis during his visit. What irony!

She teaches there but yeah that was ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I guess it's pretty early to tell but does anyone know when he'll commit? I think he'll continue to shoot up boards and the sooner we sign him the better. He's the 9th best Center on ESPN.

I guess it's pretty early to tell but does anyone know when he'll commit? I think he'll continue to shoot up boards and the sooner we sign him the better. He's the 9th best Center on ESPN.

March. He's going back home to Egypt in April and will commit before that.

Top Bottom