All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Piper still has to visit UW, then he'll announce. I suspect they'll be some more crystal balls in UW's favor after his visit. Hopefully we get him though. I think Josh Martin's signing really helps.

They probably saw his interview where he said it was probably the best college basketball game he's ever been to.

They all tend to switch to whichever school is being visited. A large chunk will switch to UW when he does his visit there.

They all tend to switch to whichever school is being visited. A large chunk will switch to UW when he does his visit there.

Exactly why I don't pay attention to that site other than to see who we offered. Their guess is as good as anyone's.

If that were the case for the last few selections, I would think they would have put their prediction in a few days earlier, not 2 days after the visit. Seems like it's more likely they made their predictions based on his quotes after the fact, but who knows.

If that were the case for the last few selections, I would think they would have put their prediction in a few days earlier, not 2 days after the visit. Seems like it's more likely they made their predictions based on his quotes after the fact, but who knows.

The Minnesota guys at 247 typically give their reasoning when they predict a crystal ball in the Gophers' direction. In this case, he told them he may commit to us if the visit goes really well, and after the visit Piper said that he couldn't name a leader between the U and UW. The Minnesota guys said they'd likely change it back to UW when he actually makes his visit there. The others from other boards (such as the Piper guy that runs Illinois) seem to follow their colleagues but truly don't have any real insight.

According to ESPN he's shooting 78% (7/9) on the season. Talk about efficiency!

But really, it looks like he's rebounding at a pretty decent rate in the games where he's gotten playing time. I hate to say it, but it might have been nice to have a bulkier 4 to pull down some rebounds.

Sure, he may have given us Andre Ingram-like production. At best.

The Minnesota guys at 247 typically give their reasoning when they predict a crystal ball in the Gophers' direction. In this case, he told them he may commit to us if the visit goes really well, and after the visit Piper said that he couldn't name a leader between the U and UW. The Minnesota guys said they'd likely change it back to UW when he actually makes his visit there. The others from other boards (such as the Piper guy that runs Illinois) seem to follow their colleagues but truly don't have any real insight.

Yup, that explains Gravett's and maybe Goblirsch's too, but not necessarily Meyer and Slater. I would guess those two are going off the quotes, but again, I'm just guessing.

Piper has already visited UW for a game at least once this season that I know of (saw them take on oregon, and win), not officially though. But there was no comments from him like the ones he made after the gophers game. I watched the game online, and it was fairly competitive game to the end, but atmosphere was no where near what it was at the barn, not really sure his official to UW will do much to change his mind, maybe a little, but for the most part I suspect he knows what he is getting if he goes to UW. The Minnesota visit was HUGE because he probably knew little about us and the passion that the fans show at the Barn. I think Piper has a really good idea where he stands now after the gophers game, don't know where he is leaning or anything now, but don't think the UW visit will impact him that much to changing what team he is currently leaning to towards

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>G Djuan Piper (<a href="https://twitter.com/Youngyoson3">@Youngyoson3</a>): 17 PTS, 12 REB, 8 AST for No. 2 Rainier Beach in a 118-58 win over Franklin. <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow">@GophersNow</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UnsignedSenior&src=hash">#UnsignedSenior</a></p>— D1 Circuit (@D1Circuit) <a href="https://twitter.com/D1Circuit/statuses/433479905645297664">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The fact that Piper is still making his Washington visit makes me believe he'll end up at his home school. It sounds like he loved his visit and lets face it, when the barn is rocking Washington home games don't compare to it. Hopefully he doesn't enjoy the UW visit as much as he expected and Josh Martin does a hell of a job convincing him to go to Minnesota.

Andre Ingram would have started on this team. He really improved in his time here. We wouldn't need him to score.

Sure, Andre played well in conference and post-season play his senior year. He still averaged under 10 minutes, 2 points and 2 rebounds for the Gophers and that's the sort of production I speculate Edozie would've given us.

Sure, Andre played well in conference and post-season play his senior year. He still averaged under 10 minutes, 2 points and 2 rebounds for the Gophers and that's the sort of production I speculate Edozie would've given us.

His numbers last year were almost identical to Oto's numbers last year, and he has been starting for us.

He did have a guy named trevor that played in front of him, Trevor was a pretty good player

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Anas Osama Mahmoud's coach mentioned recent offers from Florida and Creighton. Anas said he will visit Minnesota Feb 18-19.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/433635789910454272">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Anas Osama Mahmoud's coach mentioned recent offers from Florida and Creighton. Anas said he will visit Minnesota Feb 18-19.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/433635789910454272">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

Timing is good- projected high temp- 40 degrees on the 18th.

Timing is good- projected high temp- 40 degrees on the 18th.

Considering he is egyptian and currently in florida, 40 is still going to be something he has never experienced. So I hope the staff says something like "today is an unusual cold day", techincally it is not lying since it is unusual for it to be 40 in February in Minnesota (usually much colder) :rolleyes:

It also helps the south is getting pounded with snow again. Maybe not Florida, but I'm sure he is aware of the rest of the south getting hit.

florida offering scares me, going to be hard to convince him to turn down a good basketball program and leave the state he currently resides in to come all the way north to minnesota

florida offering scares me, going to be hard to convince him to turn down a good basketball program and leave the state he currently resides in to come all the way north to minnesota

If he can go all the way from Egypt to Florida, he can go all the way from Florida to Minnesota.

Considering he is egyptian and currently in florida, 40 is still going to be something he has never experienced. So I hope the staff says something like "today is an unusual cold day", techincally it is not lying since it is unusual for it to be 40 in February in Minnesota (usually much colder) :rolleyes:

Didn't Cairo recently have its first snow in a century?

Didn't Cairo recently have its first snow in a century?

He was in the states when it happened, and it was only parts of cairo not even the whole city, and the snow didn't even last an hour

Are you aware that it does get down to 40 (and even colder!) on occasion in both Egypt and Florida?

As someone who is currently dating someone who is half egyptian and have visited egypt before, I think I can say I know a little bit about the country, and from I understand, the HIGH of 40 doesn't happen there often if at all, maybe overnight lows, when people are inside and sleeping but not highs. No house or building has heat there for a reason. Just remember 40 is the high, so he will be experiencing 20 degree weather on his visit as well. Obvouisly I don't know how much it will impact his decision, but just looking at it from the outside, probably impacts him more than most, esp since he has an offer from florida where can stay in warm climate and remain in the state he currently resides. I am not sure his family situation, but egyptian culture is usually very family orientated, they usually don't move out until marriage and any income is shared amongst the whole family until you move out, etc. why I think it would be difficult get him to leave, unless his whole family moves with him here, which I can see happening if does pick us from what I know about the culture.

As someone who is currently dating someone who is half egyptian and have visited egypt before, I think I can say I know a little bit about the country, and from I understand, the HIGH of 40 doesn't happen there often if at all, maybe overnight lows, when people are inside and sleeping but not highs. No house or building has heat there for a reason. Just remember 40 is the high, so he will be experiencing 20 degree weather on his visit as well. Obvouisly I don't know how much it will impact his decision, but just looking at it from the outside, probably impacts him more than most, esp since he has an offer from florida where can stay in warm climate and remain in the state he currently resides. I am not sure his family situation, but egyptian culture is usually very family orientated, they usually don't move out until marriage and any income is shared amongst the whole family until you move out, etc. why I think it would be difficult get him to leave, unless his whole family moves with him here, which I can see happening if does pick us from what I know about the culture.

Can you forward these thoughts to Pitino so he knows, and can then move onto other recruits?

Man I had deja vu when you posted this.... This was less offending then the last time you posted about Egypt.

Its a sell job whether or not you've experienced 40 or not. If Pitino makes him feel its his best chance for making it big time we got a chance. If he cant, we are out of the picture. Kid doesn't have to look very hard to figure out that the upper midwest has like 8 of the 10 coldest places in the lower 48....

Calm your horses everyone, There is difference in saying it will be difficult and saying its impossible, obviously pitiino is going to sell the program using things other than weather, and honestly think Louisville is good for us in this case because he likes them so much he can sell the connection to his father and what not, and his father is after other big time bigs as well, so I can see him also selling the gophers to him for his son, but my biggest fear was an offer from florida or another florida school. College basketball is not big in his native country, so I don't think prestige is going to be big factor, just going to be what is best for him and his family, and Minnesota will have harder job to sell than other schools, not impossible, just difficult. Can't see how you can argue that

Top Bottom