All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Do you mean this article was written after he received his new ranking? If so, the bolded part is moronically obvious.

Yeah, no kidding. A four star on one site and a chance to be a D1 player on another.

Thanks for the insider info schlegs.

Agreed. What stinks is that Wisconsin brings everyone back, as does Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue with the exception of Terrone Johnson. BIG will be very good next year. MSU and OSU will reload as well.

Maryland brings everybody back too, along with a very good recruiting class. Michigan probably brings everybody back and regains McGary. Iowa loses Marble but probably nobody else. Wisconsin loses Brust but probably nobody else (I'd guess Dekker will stay). Indiana's highly touted freshmen will be a year older.

Heck, Michigan State (loses Appling and probably Harris and Payne) might struggle to finish in the top half of the conference.

B1G was the best last year and this year, and might be substantially better than that next year.

Maryland brings everybody back too, along with a very good recruiting class. Michigan probably brings everybody back and regains McGary. Iowa loses Marble but probably nobody else. Wisconsin loses Brust but probably nobody else (I'd guess Dekker will stay). Indiana's highly touted freshmen will be a year older.

Heck, Michigan State (loses Appling and probably Harris and Payne) might struggle to finish in the top half of the conference.

B1G was the best last year and this year, and might be substantially better than that next year.

I could see GRobIII, Stauskas and McGary all going pro. All 3 are projected as Top 20 picks with GRobIII and Stauskas looked at as potential lottery picks. McGary will be 22 in the summer and he's already picked up one season ending injury...he won't want to get another that could really hurt his pockets in the future. I think Vonleh leaves Indiana too. Depending on how the draft lottery shakes out he'll probably be a Top 10 pick.

I'm really not gonna be afraid of anyone next year. The current group has already showed they can compete with anyone in the conference and with the additions we'll have next year I think we'll be able to do the same.

Piper was mentioned as a target in the late Summer or Fall. I remember trying to find more info about him at that time. Not a bad final 3 for a kid from the Seattle area if you make the assumption that all offers are legitimate.

According to ESPN, he is ranked #3 in State, #31 overall and a 80 rated 4 star player (using their scales). Offers from Boston College, Zags, USC, Oregon St, Richmond, Wash and the Gophers.

My guess is playing in Washington doesn't help his case in terms of national rankings.. I would be very happy to land a wing like this kid. Seems like the kind of 4 year player that will really develop under Pitino and so far, we have no reason to doubt his talent evaluation skills.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 01/18/2014

Strengths:
Piper has that prototypical wing-type frame with very long arms and outstanding quickness. He excels in transition where he can slash his way to the rim utilizing his length and athleticism. In addition, he can also spot up and hit he mid-range jump shot. Defensively, he has all the physical intangibles to be a defensive stopper.

Weaknesses:
Piper is still quite raw on the offensive end. He needs to get more comfortable with the ball in his hands while being pressured and continue to smoothen out his jump shot. Overall, his skill set and fundamentals (jump stop and playing on balance) need to improve.

Bottom Line:
Piper is just scratching the surface of his potential. If he is willing to work on his skills and overall feel for the game, he has a chance to be a Division I player.

Just updated it today when i looked earlier they had him listed as 1 star

Is there anyway to see what the ESPN analyst said before the update? If Piper was a 1-star before the update, then this analysis would make a lot of sense.

All I know is that from what I have read so far this year Martin appears to be the real deal and much more like the four star player when he was originally ranked. Very excited to see him play.

Hoophall Classic 2014: Nate Mason chose Minnesota because coach Richard Pitino will 'push me over my limit and make me better'

Thomas King, MassLive.com
January 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM, updated January 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM

SPRINGFIELD-- Arlington Country Day School senior point guard Nate Mason committed to the University of Minnesota in October before first-year head coach Richard Pitino had coached a single game for the Golden Gophers.

After scoring 11 points in a 64-54 victory over St. Benedict’s Prep at the Spalding HoopHall Classic Sunday afternoon, Mason said Pitino and his coaching style were a major factor in his decision to join the Golden Gophers.

“I love the way they play. I love how coach Pitino and (assistant) coach Kimani Young recruited me,” Mason said. “I think I’ll be a good fit for them and I’ll come ready to play.”

Like his father, Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino, Pitino prefers to play at a high energy and a fast pace, which suits Mason’s favored style of play. With Arlington Country Day School, Mason showed the ability to play both guard positions.

Due to his quickness and superior ball-handling skills, the 6-foot-1 guard is a handful on the fast break. Though Mason had an off-game with his shot, making just 2 of 12, he was able to penetrate the seams of the defense and get to the free throw line or kick out for open shots.

“I’ll probably play the point, but whatever position they need. I think I can go there and compete for a spot (as a freshman),” Mason said.

Since Mason committed, Pitino, the son of Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino, has gotten Minnesota off to a strong start, leading the Golden Gophers to a 14-5 record. After falling to then-No. 5 Michigan State in overtime on Jan. 11, Pitino got his first signature win at Minnesota with a 10-point win over No. 11 Ohio State on Thursday.

“I watch every game, talk to the coach after every game,” Mason said. “I’m very excited. We had to get that W (against Ohio State).”

Pitino coached Florida International University last season, leading them to a school-record 11 conference wins before taking over for Tubby Smith at Minnesota. He has been coaching in Division I college basketball at some capacity since 2004, and spent time as an assistant for Billy Donovan at Florida and for his father at Louisville.

“Coach Pitino, he’s going to be hard on me, but it’s going to help me for the best,” Mason said. “I feel as though he’s going to push me to my limit and push me over my limit and make me better. That's why I picked Minnesota."

http://www.masslive.com/hoophallcla...sic_2014_nate_mas.html#incart_flyout_hssports

If anyone is interested and has access to the ROOT NW Sports channel (Directv ch. 687), Dujuan Piper and Rainier Beach are currently playing O'Dea live. Xavier and DePaul ran late and this game is already in the 2Q. Replay of the game is scheduled for 1/21 8:30p and 1/22 4:00p.

If anyone is interested and has access to the ROOT NW Sports channel (Directv ch. 687), Dujuan Piper and Rainier Beach are currently playing O'Dea live. Xavier and DePaul ran late and this game is already in the 2Q. Replay of the game is scheduled for 1/21 8:30p and 1/22 4:00p.

Thanks! Watched the game. Beach is a very talented team. Pipers teammate, Aaron is going to Louisville.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Really hoping I didn't break my foot.</p>— Josh #SkiUMartin (@JoshMartin_206) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206/statuses/425426267563778048">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kevin Dowd tweeted earlier that Josh hurt himself blocking a shot. After the game, Kevin tweeted that Josh's coach said the ankle was pretty swollen but the injury isn't serious.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>W/o the suspended Chipola guys, UConn signee Sam Cassell Jr. scored 25 pts & Minnesota signee Carlos Morris 16 pts in a win over NW Florida</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/425630700289552384">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Per the suspension reference above:

Chipola players arrested, accused of eating marijuana

Three Chipola College basketball players were arrested Thursday night after police smelled marijuana coming from the car they were riding in.

According to the Marianna Police Department, at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 16, officers conducted a traffic stop on a 2010 black KIA passenger car for a speeding violation. Upon making contact with the driver, officers could smell the odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle.

An agency press release indicates that, upon further investigation, MPD learned that the three passengers in the vehicle — Cinmeon Bowers, 20, of Racine, Wis.; Jamaar McKay-Taylor, 19, of Milwaukee, Wis.; and Torian Graham, 20, of Hillsborough, N.C. — had eaten the marijuana in an attempt to conceal it from officers.

All three were charged with tampering with evidence and taken to the Jackson County Correctional Facility to await their first appearance in court.

http://www.jcfloridan.com/news/crime_courts/article_abf38848-7fda-11e3-9b3c-001a4bcf6878.html

Go Gophers!!

Three Chipola College basketball players were arrested Thursday night after police smelled marijuana coming from the car they were riding in.

According to the Marianna Police Department, at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 16, officers conducted a traffic stop on a 2010 black KIA passenger car for a speeding violation. Upon making contact with the driver, officers could smell the odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle.

An agency press release indicates that, upon further investigation, MPD learned that the three passengers in the vehicle — Cinmeon Bowers, 20, of Racine, Wis.; Jamaar McKay-Taylor, 19, of Milwaukee, Wis.; and Torian Graham, 20, of Hillsborough, N.C. — had eaten the marijuana in an attempt to conceal it from officers.

All three were charged with tampering with evidence and taken to the Jackson County Correctional Facility to await their first appearance in court.

http://www.jcfloridan.com/news/crime_courts/article_abf38848-7fda-11e3-9b3c-001a4bcf6878.html

Go Gophers!!

Moral of the story, don't eat the Mary J when the cops stop you.

Could be a good thing for Morris if those guys miss significant time. He'll have a lot more responsibility and have to carry the load with SamIAm Jr.

Per the suspension reference above: Chipola players arrested, accused of eating marijuana Three Chipola College basketball players were arrested Thursday night after police smelled marijuana coming from the car they were riding in. According to the Marianna Police Department, at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 16, officers conducted a traffic stop on a 2010 black KIA passenger car for a speeding violation. Upon making contact with the driver, officers could smell the odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. An agency press release indicates that, upon further investigation, MPD learned that the three passengers in the vehicle — Cinmeon Bowers, 20, of Racine, Wis.; Jamaar McKay-Taylor, 19, of Milwaukee, Wis.; and Torian Graham, 20, of Hillsborough, N.C. — had eaten the marijuana in an attempt to conceal it from officers. All three were charged with tampering with evidence and taken to the Jackson County Correctional Facility to await their first appearance in court. http://www.jcfloridan.com/news/crime_courts/article_abf38848-7fda-11e3-9b3c-001a4bcf6878.html Go Gophers!!

What a dumb thing to do..sheesh. Everyone knows you need to break down the THC into butter before eating it to get high. Wait. Everyone knows that right?? Nevermind

Marianna Police arrest players for marijuana consumption. Let me guess- the arresting officers were Sgt. Cheech and Deputy Chong.

Go Gophers!!

Didn't this happen at the beginning of a horrible movie that for some reason people enjoy?

Maybe Colorado and Washington State will have an edge recruiting with their new Marijuana laws...

Not sure if it was mentioned on here, but did anyone see that Chane Behanan of Louisville is transfering to Colorado State after getting in touch with a substance abuse counselor? Oh the irony.

Not sure if it was mentioned on here, but did anyone see that Chane Behanan of Louisville is transfering to Colorado State after getting in touch with a substance abuse counselor? Oh the irony.

4H and the University of Minnesota agriculture school will donate money to the TCF stadium to add folding chairs to the student section. All this money is being raised from the new department in the school of agriculture focusing on the Minnesota Marijuana industry. Doritos for all....

No really everything I write I make up....

It guarantees you a Super Bowl birth too!

Top Bottom