All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I think this is a type of guy you want, and can be similar to an Embiid or Gorgui to a different/lesser extent. He's much more skilled than those two, but is similar in being a big raw center coming out of Africa who will be a bit of a project, but has major upside!

*Imagine adding 25 lbs of muscle onto this dude and developing his skill set while in college to create a beast of a PF/C who is 7-1/230 lbs and has the a great offensive touch. After adding that muscle on, there's no reason he shouldn't be an above-average rebounder in college either.
Did you really just say that Mahmoud is more skilled than Embiid? Really?

egyptian you say...well lets all pray for record high temps during his visit in mid February, and by record high I mean highest ever recorded on any day in minnesota history

I was thinking the same thing.

This Louisville article really makes him seem like a stud recruit.

When the Cards take the floor tomorrow night, there will be a big-time hoops visitor in the building. 7-footer Anas Osama Mahmoud, who holds over 20 scholarship offers from big-time programs, is taking his first official visit and Rick Pitino and the #8 / 12 ranked Cardinals are the lucky recipients. The lanky 18-year old plays for West Oaks Academy in Orlando Florida, which is a proving-ground of sorts for foreign-born players. In fact, all 15 of the school’s current players hail from a country other than the United States. West Oaks extended Mahmoud an offer straight from Cairo, Egypt and 2 months later he was in the States trying to learn the culture of a new country. A late-addition to the class of 2014, Mahmoud has not been officially rated by any of the scouting services (yet) but has taken a few unofficial visits and holds offers from Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, Auburn and Louisville.

His potential and size are legit, and it’s likely just a matter of time before he blows up on the national scene. But this is a kid who appears to just be thankful to be out of the war-torn streets of Cairo and somewhere safe where he can concentrate on school and basketball. As he recently told the Orlando Sentinel, the inescapable violence surrounding the Egyptian revolution claimed the life of one of his friends and has a surreal impact on everyday life:

“Sometimes, the cops or the soldiers [would] just fire on anybody in the streets. I saw that with my eyes,” said Osama Mahmoud, who moved from Cairo to the United States three months ago.

“My brother was out playing a game and he called me and said, ‘I can’t move, something is going on.’ In this moment, you’re thinking about yourself and [your] brother. I can run, but my brother is in the middle of it. I had to go grab him.”

Osama Mahmoud has loved the sport for as long as he can remember. He started playing on club teams at age 12 and spent the past four years on the Egyptian national team.

He grew up watching YouTube videos of stars such as Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant and James Harden — the NBA wasn’t broadcast on television in Cairo — and dreams of playing in the league, following in the footsteps of Egyptian-born Duke alum Alaa Abdelnaby, who had five seasons in the NBA in the 1990s.

He hopes his brother, who is 6-foot-8, will join him at West Oaks next year as a freshman.

“It [Egypt] is not safe, but sometimes you feel like, ‘This is my country, I have to live through this to improve my country,’” Osama Mahmoud said. “But sometimes, too, you have to look at your future.

“You don’t know what’s happening tomorrow, what’s going to happen, who’s going to win. The country is no good right now.”

Louisville has a few frontcourt prospects already signed for 2014 in 6-10 DC-area power forward Chinanu Onuaku and 7-0 Norwegian project Matz Stockman, but neither is expected to come in and make an immediate impact. There’s a real, genuine opportunity for Mahmoud to step right in and play significant minutes next season. Mahmoud is expected to begin his visit today and will head back to Orlando on Friday. If you see a lanky 7-footer somewhere behind the UofL bench tomorrow night, make sure to say ‘what’s up’ and spread the UofL love.

After reading up on this kid I think I'd prefer him over Piper. Really interesting prospect. We are currently the leader according to 247's crystal ball. ;)

Looks like we offered another SG today:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kobe Eubanks picked up the offer from Minnesota today <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>
[Video] <a href="http://t.co/mJyBQfaLt4">http://t.co/mJyBQfaLt4</a>
<a href="https://twitter.com/kobeeubanks">@kobeeubanks</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole">@GopherHole</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow">@GophersNow</a></p>— Iowa Elites (@IowaElites) <a href="https://twitter.com/IowaElites/statuses/428361709523177472">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In addition to his offer from the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>, the 6-5, 190lb <a href="https://twitter.com/kobeeubanks">@kobeeubanks</a> has offers from Pitt, Miami, Cinci and others.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/428363386335010816">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

With the recent offers to Piper, Mahmoud, and Ebanks. I wonder if we are already aware of at least one defection.

Madtown, what article is that from? That has to be a fan site right? I can't see a Courier Journal or the like writing this:

"If you see a lanky 7-footer somewhere behind the UofL bench tomorrow night, make sure to say ‘what’s up’ and spread the UofL love."

Go Gophers!!

Safe to way the staff expects at least one transfer to occur...

The obvious answers would be Wally and/or Buggs. I can't really see any dark horses either. It's obviously not going to be any of the starters, and I don't see McNeil bailing out when he's been showing improvement and getting some good minutes as a freshman.

I'd lean toward Wally instead of Buggs. I think Wally would leave if he could get either a full scholarship for track or the same sort of basketball/track deal that he currently has at Minnesota. The fact Henry has officially eliminated us also makes me think Wally may be on the way out.

I'd lean toward Wally instead of Buggs. I think Wally would leave if he could get either a full scholarship for track or the same sort of basketball/track deal that he currently has at Minnesota. The fact Henry has officially eliminated us also makes me think Wally may be on the way out.
My thought as well. He looked so happy when we beat Wisconsin the other day. Could be he is going to go track only route as well.

It seems like Pitino would like to bring in one more taller wing player to go with Carlos Morris and another post. I have seen Minnesota connected with Mahmoud on 247 for quite a while, but I don't know how much contact their has been between player/school. Piper and Eubanks both have nice offer lists, but are these lists nice because they are going to be available in the Spring or because they can actually play? I know Piper is rated highly on ESPN.

Personally, I am a bit surprised we haven't heard about an athletic PF type who could help on the boards. I know Josh Martin fits that description, but it's tough to depend on a freshman to rebound in the Big Ten. Maybe this is an area where we could find another transfer who is eligible immediately.

Hopefully, the Barn continues to be a great atmosphere as these out of state recruits make their visits. The next step is getting the Barnyard to get involved with some chants, signs, etc.

My point is that this isn't an ideal situation. Can't see them redshirting him (if we get him) even though he is very raw. I also don't like the idea of not having a 5 without any experience in this conference.

It be like when EE redshirted, we had Colt and Ralph, only will have EE and Mo. Even when Ralph was hurt for a couple games, they dressed EE, but never burned the redshirt

It seems like Pitino would like to bring in one more taller wing player to go with Carlos Morris and another post. I have seen Minnesota connected with Mahmoud on 247 for quite a while, but I don't know how much contact their has been between player/school. Piper and Eubanks both have nice offer lists, but are these lists nice because they are going to be available in the Spring or because they can actually play? I know Piper is rated highly on ESPN.

Personally, I am a bit surprised we haven't heard about an athletic PF type who could help on the boards. I know Josh Martin fits that description, but it's tough to depend on a freshman to rebound in the Big Ten. Maybe this is an area where we could find another transfer who is eligible immediately.

Hopefully, the Barn continues to be a great atmosphere as these out of state recruits make their visits. The next step is getting the Barnyard to get involved with some chants, signs, etc.

I don't think we really have room for another PF. Martin will start. Oto and King will back him up. And then there is Buggs the wild card. I actually think Buggs could crack the rotation next year if he continues to develop. He played very well in a 5 or 6 minute span against FSU, which I think was the last time he logged minutes. The next week he did something to get into Pitino's dog house and he hasn't played ever since.

This is what I foresee:

PG - Mathieu/Mason/Shell
SG - Dre/McNeil/Frosh
SF - Morris/King/Buggs
PF - Martin/Oto/Buggs
C - EE/Mo/Frosh

Morris three years ago was a 4* at 6-4 and 170 lbs. Now he's a 3* at 6-5 and 170 lbs. Except for Mav, he's the lightest recruited Gopher I recall. Looking only at in conference numbers, he had an okay freshman year in the best JUCO conference in America. After six conference games this year his scoring numbers are all down.

There's a reason Coach P. and staff are looking at wings.

Morris three years ago was a 4* at 6-4 and 170 lbs. Now he's a 3* at 6-5 and 170 lbs. Except for Mav, he's the lightest recruited Gopher I recall. Looking only at in conference numbers, he had an okay freshman year in the best JUCO conference in America. After six conference games this year his scoring numbers are all down.

There's a reason Coach P. and staff are looking at wings.

I don't think Morris' ability (or weight, for that matter...) has anything to do with it. We are lacking in depth at that position whether he is a stud or not. We simply need more wing players.

A couple interesting notes gleaned from 247 sports. Matt Gravett, founder of The Recruit Insider, is the guy that has projected Mahmoud to Minnesota. What is interesting is that Gravett also projects Michal Cekovsky to Louisville. Cekovsky is a 7'0 220lb kid who is a teammate of Louivile commit Matz Stockman. If Louisville were to land Cekovsky, that would give them 3 players 6'10 or taller in their 2014 recruiting class. Cekovsky also has an Arizona offer and interest from Minnesota. I think it's safe to say that Louisville would only take one of the two players.

On the "where are they now?"/Tubby front, Gravett has also projected both Cullen Russo and Akolda Manyang to Texas Tech. Both players are at JUCO's right now and Manyang in particular had some good buzz while in high school in Minnesota (Duluth I believe).

As for Carlos Morris, 4 of his last 5 games have been pretty poor including going scoreless in his last outing. Is he in a slump? Is he injured? I don't know why he's struggling. From Nov. 1 to Jan 4 his line score are predominantly very good, but since Jan 4 in 5 games he's shot 15-55 from the field (3-24 from 3) and has scored a total of 44 points in 5 games (8.8 ppg). I'd certainly debate the idea that Morris is the most lightly recruited player since Maverick, he certainly had better offers than Julian Welch for example. The other issue is that Morris was actively looking for a program where he could play a big role immediately and wasn't just looking for the biggest name school that would give him a scholarship.

As for Carlos Morris, 4 of his last 5 games have been pretty poor including going scoreless in his last outing. Is he in a slump? Is he injured? I don't know why he's struggling. From Nov. 1 to Jan 4 his line score are predominantly very good, but since Jan 4 in 5 games he's shot 15-55 from the field (3-24 from 3) and has scored a total of 44 points in 5 games (8.8 ppg). I'd certainly debate the idea that Morris is the most lightly recruited player since Maverick, he certainly had better offers than Julian Welch for example. The other issue is that Morris was actively looking for a program where he could play a big role immediately and wasn't just looking for the biggest name school that would give him a scholarship.

Lightest Recruited Player since Maverick as in, he doesn't eat enough doughnuts.

As far as going into next season with McNeil as our backup shooting guard, we better have our eyes on a transfer that can play right away who can shoot the lights out because the lineup Mad posted might be the worst shooting team in the conference unless Mason comes in with a hot hand or McNeil improves/gains confidence in some sort of an outside game. He reminds me of a freshman Austin Hollins the way he shoots out there, happy if it hits the rim.

A couple interesting notes gleaned from 247 sports. Matt Gravett, founder of The Recruit Insider, is the guy that has projected Mahmoud to Minnesota. What is interesting is that Gravett also projects Michal Cekovsky to Louisville. Cekovsky is a 7'0 220lb kid who is a teammate of Louivile commit Matz Stockman. If Louisville were to land Cekovsky, that would give them 3 players 6'10 or taller in their 2014 recruiting class. Cekovsky also has an Arizona offer and interest from Minnesota. I think it's safe to say that Louisville would only take one of the two players.

On the "where are they now?"/Tubby front, Gravett has also projected both Cullen Russo and Akolda Manyang to Texas Tech. Both players are at JUCO's right now and Manyang in particular had some good buzz while in high school in Minnesota (Duluth I believe).

Lightly recruited is lightly recruited, regardless of how you spin it.

Lightest Recruited Player since Maverick as in, he doesn't eat enough doughnuts.

As far as going into next season with McNeil as our backup shooting guard, we better have our eyes on a transfer that can play right away who can shoot the lights out because the lineup Mad posted might be the worst shooting team in the conference unless Mason comes in with a hot hand or McNeil improves/gains confidence in some sort of an outside game. He reminds me of a freshman Austin Hollins the way he shoots out there, happy if it hits the rim.

That may be my greatest concern as well. We're losing three legit outside shooters to graduation. If Morris is as streaky as Austin, that's about a push. Mason has potential, but Mav and Malik are upwards of 40 percent three-point FG guys, and Malik has been a frickin secret weapon from outside. Mathieu is more deadly than he's given credit for, and Dre is a known commodity, but McNeil hasn't played enough yet that we really know what we have.

My overriding concern with Pitino's recruiting is that he ends up chasing star ratings and athleticism over long range shooting, which he himself acknowledges is the key to the modern game. Clem, Monson and Tubby all passed on dead-eye shooters who went on to make big shots for other programs. We were SURE Monson was going to replicate his formula of deadly-shooting guards and athletic, active forwards he employed at Gonzaga, but he ignored local players with those attributes to chase "Big Ten" style players who lacked skill and shooting ability. Too early to judge Pitino's approach; just sharing my vague fears based on being a long-time Gopher fan.

That may be my greatest concern as well. We're losing three legit outside shooters to graduation. If Morris is as streaky as Austin, that's about a push. Mason has potential, but Mav and Malik are upwards of 40 percent three-point FG guys, and Malik has been a frickin secret weapon from outside. Mathieu is more deadly than he's given credit for, and Dre is a known commodity, but McNeil hasn't played enough yet that we really know what we have.

My overriding concern with Pitino's recruiting is that he ends up chasing star ratings and athleticism over long range shooting, which he himself acknowledges is the key to the modern game. Clem, Monson and Tubby all passed on dead-eye shooters who went on to make big shots for other programs. We were SURE Monson was going to replicate his formula of deadly-shooting guards and athletic, active forwards he employed at Gonzaga, but he ignored local players with those attributes to chase "Big Ten" style players who lacked skill and shooting ability. Too early to judge Pitino's approach; just sharing my vague fears based on being a long-time Gopher fan.

I think if you look at Ritchie's dad's teams they try to get more shooting than the average team from the 4 and 5 spot to make up for having more athleticism and slashing ability from the 1 and 2.... I've got no problem with his recruiting vision, just scared straight that we might have some ugly nights that remind us of tubby ball next year where we score 60%+ in the paint.

Top Bottom