All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I'm not saying we are going to miss out on him. I'm only saying IF we do, I'm not going to lose my sh*t. Especially, if we land Travis. My argument is, the program, as it is now, is better off getting some talent that is going to stick around for a few years. Just my opinion.

Not arguing with you here- just adding a bit of optimism. I agree with you that the #1 priority of this class is Travis. I think the additon of him could actually improve our chances with Vaughn.

Not arguing with you here- just adding a bit of optimism. I agree with you that the #1 priority of this class is Travis. I think the additon of him could actually improve our chances with Vaughn.

I agree, a while back it was reported that Vaughn's camp was most concerned about Minnesota's ability to surround Vaughn with talent. I'd say Andre, Reid, Morris, Matheiu etc. is a pretty decent surrounding group and it's not the type of group that would take shots away from Vaughn.

I agree, a while back it was reported that Vaughn's camp was most concerned about Minnesota's ability to surround Vaughn with talent. I'd say Andre, Reid, Morris, Matheiu etc. is a pretty decent surrounding group and it's not the type of group that would take shots away from Vaughn.

Mathieu
Hollins
Vaughn
Travis
Eliason

That's a pretty talented lineup. All EE would need to do is rebound/protect the paint on D. Whatever offense he chipped in would be a bonus. Its a nice mix of 3 seniors and 2 talented Freshmen. Anybody know if Reid and Vaughn are cool with each other.

Mathieu
Hollins
Vaughn
Travis
Eliason

That's a pretty talented lineup. All EE would need to do is rebound/protect the paint on D. Whatever offense he chipped in would be a bonus. Its a nice mix of 3 seniors and 2 talented Freshmen. Anybody know if Reid and Vaughn are cool with each other.

That lineup isn't even bad if you sub Vaughn for Morris, which is looking somewhat likely (hopefully).

That lineup isn't even bad if you sub Vaughn for Morris, which is looking somewhat likely (hopefully).

Let's hold our horses. We have no idea how good Mathieu is. He hasn't played a game. We don't know how good Travis will be, but he's at least highly regarded. If Vaughn isn't part of that lineup, I'd remain very skeptical about how good it is.

Honestly, I'm OK with missing out on Vaughn. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat. But with the state of the program now, we need guys that are going to stick around and develop while Pitino adds more pieces. That's why I love the signings so far! They fit his style of play and they are going to be around for a few seasons. In a couple years we could be in excellent shape. Add some uber talent next year, and look out in 2016. That's really where we need to look. I think we will need some patience to let these recruits and next years recruits (Hopefully Jarvis, Alex, and Henry) mature, get stronger, and get better.

I'd take a 4* 4 year player (Reid Travis) over a 5* 1 and done (Rashad Vaughn) every time. If he commits, I'd be thrilled with Pitino's first true class.

I'm not saying we are going to miss out on him. I'm only saying IF we do, I'm not going to lose my sh*t. Especially, if we land Travis. My argument is, the program, as it is now, is better off getting some talent that is going to stick around for a few years. Just my opinion.

I think Pitino is more of a "the future is now" type of guy. Smith, Mathieu, King, Morris, the attempt at Buckles. Seems to me he approaches recruiting from all angles.

I think Pitino is more of a "the future is now" type of guy. Smith, Mathieu, King, Morris, the attempt at Buckles. Seems to me he approaches recruiting from all angles.

Completely agree Coach P. and staff are a win now group. Now if we could only get them a practice facility to sell.

I love that Pitino is recruiting talent instead of athletes and projects.

While I don't necessarily disagree, but I think Pitino went after all of these JUCOs because he knows he cannot bring his "new style" the the BIG 10 and FAIL MISERABLY. He has to at least show flashes that it will work against the lesser opponents, and pull off a few upsets this year to convince booster/recruits/fans that his style will work in the big 10. He couldn't have done that by standing pat with the recruits he had coming in from his predecessor.

I would be very surprised to see Pitino continuing to pursue JUCOs at the rate he has thus far in his time at the U. If he gets a couple public displays of affection from ESPN and the local media, he could catch fire in a bottle with the talent we have locally and his pull on the East Coast...

I think it is hard to make any blanket statements on Pitino's recruiting practices based on how he filled the 2013 class. He arrived in April....after most of that class had already signed with other schools. At that point he was primarily relegated to the JUCO / transfer / FIU route. In the 2014 class, I don't feel that he has put much of an emphasis on JUCO recruiting. The Morris commitment helps balance out the classes a little bit. But that's the only JUCO that I remember him being after seriously?

I disagree. I think those signings were to fill the gaps for this season and to add depth needed to bridge the gap from now to when his current and future recruits develop. He has a 3-4 year vision for the shape of this roster. Of course he is going to do all he can to bring in the best players in the country, but if he doesn't land McDonalds All Americans, he still has us in good shape, if he does, its gravy. Realistically, I think he knows the formula for getting this team to compete for a Big 10 championship is a couple years + player development + a few blue chips in 2015/16. This is a better plan then Tubby had...i.e. go all in on top recruits only to be left with the Mav's, Ingrams, and Oto's of the world.

Feel free to blast me.

While I don't necessarily disagree, but I think Pitino went after all of these JUCOs because he knows he cannot bring his "new style" the the BIG 10 and FAIL MISERABLY. He has to at least show flashes that it will work against the lesser opponents, and pull off a few upsets this year to convince booster/recruits/fans that his style will work in the big 10. He couldn't have done that by standing pat with the recruits he had coming in from his predecessor.

I would be very surprised to see Pitino continuing to pursue JUCOs at the rate he has thus far in his time at the U. If he gets a couple public displays of affection from ESPN and the local media, he could catch fire in a bottle with the talent we have locally and his pull on the East Coast...

Any style can work in any conference. All that matters is if you can execute and if you can control tempo.

I think it is hard to make any blanket statements on Pitino's recruiting practices based on how he filled the 2013 class. He arrived in April....after most of that class had already signed with other schools. At that point he was primarily relegated to the JUCO / transfer / FIU route. In the 2014 class, I don't feel that he has put much of an emphasis on JUCO recruiting. The Morris commitment helps balance out the classes a little bit. But that's the only JUCO that I remember him being after seriously?

Yeah. The first class is the worst class to try to judge a coach off of. Virtually no chance to get the players you want the most in that class.

per Sid:

• With the signing of guards Nate Mason and Carlos “Squirrel” Morris this week, Richard Pitino now has three commitments for the Gophers in the Class of 2014. Mason is a 5-11 guard from Montrose Christian in Rockville, Md., who had offers from several schools, including Clemson, Harvard, Kansas State and Memphis. Morris is a 6-4 guard from Chipola Junior College in Jacksonville, Fla., who had offers from Arkansas, Seton Hall and West Virginia, among other schools.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/229975171.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I made my point as others have noticed. Read your post again then read mine. You'll get it.

My point was that Pitino needed some people to fit his system this year to make sure his system didn't fail miserably in year one, not that I thought his system would fail in the Big10. The discussion was why or would Pitino continue to target JUCOs and you responded with that any system works with execution and tempo....

So again, what is your point in relation to the discussion around recruiting JUCOs to fill recruiting classes. Or we're you making a blanket statement while quoting my reply around JUCO recruitment?

James Blackmon re-commits to Indiana. Yesterday 247 crystal ball said 98% Kentucky.

Been away awhile but wondering what would happen if Reid Travis commits to the Gophers (awesome) and then Tyus or Vaughn also decide they want to play for the best college program in the country?

Been away awhile but wondering what would happen if Reid Travis commits to the Gophers (awesome) and then Tyus or Vaughn also decide they want to play for the best college program in the country?

Room will be made scholarship wise and heads will explode.

Tyus has taken us off his list already, so we don't need to worry about him

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Minnesota will be at Hutchinson CC tomorrow to watch Darrick Wood (6-4/G/2014).</p>— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) <a href="https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/statuses/395033523725148161">October 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't know if this was ever posted, but Minnesota was supposed to watch Darrick Wood on the same day as Carlos Morris committed. I am not sure if they still went to see Wood and whether or not they still have any interest in him. He red shirted last year, so if he graduates from JUCO this year he'd have 3 years to play (similar to Paul Carter). Wood was a borderline top 100 kid who committed to St John's out of high school. Really athletic from what I've seen on YouTube.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Minnesota will be at Hutchinson CC tomorrow to watch Darrick Wood (6-4/G/2014).</p>— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) <a href="https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/statuses/395033523725148161">October 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't know if this was ever posted, but Minnesota was supposed to watch Darrick Wood on the same day as Carlos Morris committed. I am not sure if they still went to see Wood and whether or not they still have any interest in him. He red shirted last year, so if he graduates from JUCO this year he'd have 3 years to play (similar to Paul Carter). Wood was a borderline top 100 kid who committed to St John's out of high school. Really athletic from what I've seen on YouTube.

It was originally posted on page 72, this is what I posted about him...

I kind of doubt we are still after him though.

It is possible that news of us looking at Wood was the nudge that Morris needed to commit. It is also interesting that Chris Sandifer committed to UTEP the day after the Morris commitment. I wonder if the Gophers would have taken a look at Sandifer if Morris had went elsewhere, given Sandifer's family ties to Minnesota. (not complaining about the Morris commitment)

Top Bottom