All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Too early to make that assertion. We don't know who the alternatives are at this point to the Minnesota kids (that will be signed). A few of the names that we are still in the mix for are pretty talented. Not top 20 kids, but talented.

More importantly....we don't know if this guy can coach. Would he take top four talent and coach them to a tenth place finish in the conference or take tenth place talent and coach them to fourth place? The momentum or lack of momentum in this program will come more from progress on the court than the names that he recruits.

That is fair, but recruiting is becoming pretty bleak this year. We don't need to have a great record this year. We simply need to implement the system and improve as the season goes on. Then we need to get our big instate recruits next season. If that doesn't happen then I think we are in trouble.

After his visit I thought Martin would be a Gopher, but based on his tweets this week it sounds like he really hasn't made up his mind yet and is struggling with his decision.

Really think it comes down to Pitt visit, it's Home Coming and Midnight Madness at Pitt this week. Florida State has commits from PF Cinmeon Bowers 6'6" 235lbs and PF Mavin Saunders 6'5" 233lbs, not much playing time if he goes there. Not sure what Pitt has but I know he really like his visit to MN. Like our chances...

Hamilton (WI) SG Brady Ellingson commits to Iowa according to Evan Flood of Badger247. Below is what flood said about the Ellingson commitment and the effect it has on LaChance's recruitment. LaChance is visiting Iowa this weekend.

"Always thought Brady could play himself into a high major player. He's one of the best pure shooters in the country. Has also worked hard on his mid range game, but his best attribute is catching and shooting off screens.

As for Lachance. Iowa is going to be a lot more attractive. I thought Minnesota took the upper hand after their visit, but these two are so close and have played AAU together for so long, it's going to be hard for him to pass up."

Also per Flood:

Ellingson is longtime friends with another Hawkeye target, Riley LaChance, and hopes the two have a chance to team up at the next level.

“We’re best friends and we’ve been playing together since fourth grade,” Ellingson said. “I don’t see why we wouldn’t want to play with each other still. That would just be incredible.”

There's a realistic chance we strike out on all of our PG targets and just wait for Jarvis Johnson in 2015.

Gesell at Iowa seems to be a VERY similar to player to LaChance, and he's only a sophomore this year.

STrib: Josh Cunningham to visit Minnesota over the second weekend of October

Gophers target Josh Cunningham will be visiting Minnesota on an official over the second weekend of October, he and his AAU and high school coach, Nick Irvin said.

“Josh likes them a lot,” Irvin said. “He’s gotten to know Pitino and the assistant coaches. … One of the things he’s said about Richie is that he’s coached with two of the top coaches in all of college basketball, which are his father and Billy Donovan, so he has a good background. And he’s a young coach, and energetic.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/225224832.html

Go Gophers!!

With the odds of LaChance and Nairn coming to Minnesota fading quickly, I say they give up on the point guards for this year and focus on the 2-4 positions. There is plenty of talent there that we need. We can get by with what we have the the point guard spot. It will also be better for Dre to play point guard for two more years. He won't be a shooting guard in the pros, so if he wants to play in the NBA he needs to own that point guard spot.

With the odds of LaChance and Nairn coming to Minnesota fading quickly, I say they give up on the point guards for this year and focus on the 2-4 positions. There is plenty of talent there that we need. We can get by with what we have the the point guard spot. It will also be better for Dre to play point guard for two more years. He won't be a shooting guard in the pros, so if he wants to play in the NBA he needs to own that point guard spot.

I wouldn't mind this strategy, or "banking" a scholarship just in case a top end player wants to transfer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>One coach in the know predictions: Tum Tum to Mich. St. <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206">@JoshMartin_206</a> to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>. He added expect Pitt. to come close. We'll know soon.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/382955481574031360">September 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If we start getting word that we're in on a lot of jucos, then we'll know for sure recruiting's not going well. I hope it doesn't get to that point. Right now it just seems like we're whiffing at every turn on the high school kids.

Gesell at Iowa seems to be a VERY similar to player to LaChance, and he's only a sophomore this year.

Good point; I would definitely not count him as a lock to Iowa. It has only been a matter of days since Riley's dad said that playing time was one of the main factors in his recruitment:

Gopher Hole: What is going to be in your opinion or having talked to Riley is going to be the main factor that is going to make him pick School A over School B or C?
Tom LaChance: Fit to his style of play and I think the potential to play right way, maybe. He wouldn't want to go where it doesn't fit his style of play.

There's a realistic chance we strike out on all of our PG targets and just wait for Jarvis Johnson in 2015.

I have no problem with waiting for Jarvis. I had never heard of him until THE SCOUT! suggested we take a look some time ago. Best 2 kids I've seen on tape, and I admittedly watch very little, are Jarvis and Coffey.

If we start getting word that we're in on a lot of jucos, then we'll know for sure recruiting's not going well. I hope it doesn't get to that point. Right now it just seems like we're whiffing at every turn on the high school kids.

Let's stay away from Jucos. Those are typically a waste of scholarships.

Yes, we can all name Mbakwe and Grier as great Jucos who worked out, but most of them end of like Welch. I have no problems with Welch, but he didn't elevate the team to the next level, which is what we need.

Bobby Jackson? Can make an argument not saying that he is the best player in the history of the school, but one can make the argument. I would say his 97 campaign is the best season by any gopher. Anyways we might want to take one to balance out the classes. Someone like Carlos Morris would be in Wally's grade

Kevin Clark was another good juco player. There have actually been a lot of quality juco players to come to the U. I would say they are not a waste of a scholarship.

I'd be careful to throw a blanket statement on top of all JUCO's. Mbakwe and Welch weren't JUCo's in a typical sense as they were first Division I players before attending community college.

In addition, there are some big time quality kids in JUCO basketball. There aren't a ton of amazing stories like those of Jimmy Butler or Jae Crowder, but plenty of talent and some good kids out there.

From an experience and class balancing perspective, a guy who comes to Minnesota next year as a junior or sophomore makes some sense in that regard as well.

PS - I like Carlos Morris.

Well, see talk to you all tomorrow after the decision in the morning! It'll either have two outcomes. More sorrow, or some celebration. Either way, it's going to be over.

That is fair, but recruiting is becoming pretty bleak this year. We don't need to have a great record this year. We simply need to implement the system and improve as the season goes on. Then we need to get our big instate recruits next season. If that doesn't happen then I think we are in trouble.

We don't need to have a great record this year? How about an NCAA apperance at least? Or is that a great record?

Recruiting is becoming bleak this year? Did signing day come and go already? The last I heard we were still on the list of about a dozen uncommitted top 150 kids including 3 top MN players.

I'd be careful to throw a blanket statement on top of all JUCO's. Mbakwe and Welch weren't JUCo's in a typical sense as they were first Division I players before attending community college.

In addition, there are some big time quality kids in JUCO basketball. There aren't a ton of amazing stories like those of Jimmy Butler or Jae Crowder, but plenty of talent and some good kids out there.

From an experience and class balancing perspective, a guy who comes to Minnesota next year as a junior or sophomore makes some sense in that regard as well.

PS - I like Carlos Morris.

I like Morris as well, not to mention I expect a few JUCOs in this class at least.

I want a couple more JUCOs, after this year and next we will have a lot of youth. We will need some guys with size and experience not to mention this will get Pitino more of "his recruits" in which he had a full cycle to court, which will not happen at least until 2016 one could argue.

Amelia with her analysis of where we stand with recruits for 2014:

1. Josh Martin – This weekend’s official to Pittsburgh will obviously be the wildcard with the Seattle PF, but right now, I think Minnesota’s chances are looking good.
2. Riley LaChance – The interest is there for Wisconsin’s LaChance, and it could come down to Minnesota and Iowa. If Tum Tum goes off the board, this could be your PG of the future.
3. Josh Cunningham – This relationship only seems to be growing: the Chicago wing will visit in October.
4. Carlos Morris – It looks like the JUCO guard could be in town this weekend. Seton Hall is Morris’ only visit so far, and the additions of a couple SGs by the Pirates (including Isaiah Whitehead) seem to take them out of contention.
5. Abdoulaye Gueye – Auburn will be involved, but the Gophers got in early with the Birmingham, Ala. big and have made steady progress.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/225254071.html

Go Gophers!!

According to this Jarvis Johnson is basically a lock. So at least we won't strike out on a PG next year.

From the article:

A soon-to-be TGR writer told me he was talking to some of the guys “plugged into” the D1 Minnesota and HPP programs. He asked them how Jarvis Johnson’s recruitment was going and my writer told me: “literally all they said was, ‘he’s going to Minnesota.’ There wasn’t even a hesitation.”

Man I hope that proves to be true. I had no idea Jarvis was that high on us, but I'd rather have him in maroon & gold than any other 2015 player at this point. Seems like everything we need in a PG.

From the article: Man I hope that proves to be true. I had no idea Jarvis was that high on us, but I'd rather have him in maroon & gold than any other 2015 player at this point. Seems like everything we need in a PG.

Agreed. Jarvis would be a phenomenal "get"

Top Bottom