All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Wasn't that assistant none other than Tom Izzo?

No it wasn't Izzo. If you guys haven't read Heathcote's book you should. I've included a link below to the Google version, specifically to the section (14-Hard to Sell When You're Not Buying) that has great stuff on the Webber recruitment with the U and how Voshon played into it, as well as some general recollections on the dirty world of recruiting high school kids. Enlightening stuff, especially since Clem and the Gophers were neck-deep in the story.

You may need to scroll back up a bit to the start of the chapter.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Rk...ud heathcote chris webber recruitment&f=false

Lofton's parents are effing idiots. They would have no cause of action to sue. Any case brought in front of a judge would immediately grant a summary judgment in gopherhole's favor. Hell, they would probably have to pay damages for a frivolous lawsuit..

What the hell kind of claim did they think they had? Intrusion upon seclusion? Public disclosure of private fact? Any and all discussions on this board would not amount to any of those privacy torts

I don't blame GopherHole at all for closing the thread. It's one thing if you're making ESPN money, but a free fan site can't exactly fight every battle. Plus there's no way the site could come out looking good even in a frivolous lawsuit when the subject is adults/Gopher fans disparaging a high school kid.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if the Gophers had any interest in Lofton. He shot 33% from the field in a one bid conference.

I don't blame GopherHole at all for closing the thread. It's one thing if you're making ESPN money, but a free fan site can't exactly fight every battle. Plus there's no way the site could come out looking good even in a frivolous lawsuit when the subject is adults/Gopher fans disparaging a high school kid.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if the Gophers had any interest in Lofton. He shot 33% from the field in a one bid conference.

Regarding the bold: The Loftons would have to pay GopherHoles' attorney fees. Guaranteed. (any law student would be able to write a valid response to their initial pleading, in addition to a motion to dismiss)

If you are comfortable with being bullied into censoring our right to free speech, then sure, your post makes sense.

Regarding the underlined: I somewhat agree. But that's what moderators are for--to self-regulate posts that are highly offensive or inappropriate.

I'm not disparaging GopherHole for closing the thread, I'm just saying that lawsuit would make national headlines... and the Loftons would be the party receiving the most flack... not GopherHole

Regarding the bold: The Loftons would have to pay GopherHoles' attorney fees. Guaranteed. (any law student would be able to write a valid response to their initial pleading, in addition to a motion to dismiss)

If you are comfortable with being bullied into censoring our right to free speech, then sure, your post makes sense.

Regarding the underlined: I somewhat agree. But that's what moderators are for--to self-regulate posts that are highly offensive or inappropriate.

I'm not disparaging GopherHole for closing the thread, I'm just saying that lawsuit would make national headlines... and the Loftons would be the party receiving the most flack... not GopherHole

I agree. However, any idiot with a pencil and a piece of paper can file a lawsuit and you never know what a judge will do. If I owned this site would I have been willing to fight that battle over an obscure high school player? Nope. In addition, if I were the father of that 17 year old I would be livid at the anonymous fat asses taking potshots at my son for being a good player and I would want to strike back in some way. I would guess that the owners of GH had some sympathy for the parents' position.

If you are comfortable with being bullied into censoring our right to free speech, then sure, your post makes sense...

Says the guy with total anonymity on a fan message board. :cool:

For all the reasons mentioned, it wasn't a battle they chose to fight. Nothing wrong with that.

Cant believe we are having a discussion about a thread being closed so a message board couldnt talk about a teenager... Upset because we didn't get to sling zingers at the kids expense....

Cant believe we are having a discussion about a thread being closed so a message board couldnt talk about a teenager... Upset because we didn't get to sling zingers at the kids expense....

It's not about the teenager. It's about the principle.

So where do we stand with 2014? Need a recap.

We have three recruits: Mason, Martin, Morris (3M)
And is it generally accepted that we'll sign 1-3 more in the next couple of weeks?

So where do we stand with 2014? Need a recap.

We have three recruits: Mason, Martin, Morris (3M)
And is it generally accepted that we'll sign 1-3 more in the next couple of weeks?
We have the three signed and we have three more open scholarships. I think most people are hoping and expect SF Djuan Piper to take one of those and I believe he is announcing tomorrow so we should know for sure tomorrow a little better where we sit for the 2014 class.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we are still in the loop for Josh Cunningham?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMCunningham">@JoshMCunningham</a> will take his last Visit to South Carolina then he will announce his College plans April 18, 2014 @MorganParkH.S..</p>— NICK IRVIN (@NICKIRV) <a href="https://twitter.com/NICKIRV/statuses/452548571322007552">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we are still in the loop for Josh Cunningham?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMCunningham">@JoshMCunningham</a> will take his last Visit to South Carolina then he will announce his College plans April 18, 2014 @MorganParkH.S..</p>— NICK IRVIN (@NICKIRV) <a href="https://twitter.com/NICKIRV/statuses/452548571322007552">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

Nope, the staff gave up on him a long time ago.

Correct. Never visited.

Nope, the staff gave up on him a long time ago.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking too until GameDay made a comment about us being in his final six. (page 140) Maybe the real list only has three/four names on it.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking too until GameDay made a comment about us being in his final six. (page 140) Maybe the real list only has three/four names on it.

We are technically still on his final list of 6, but will he be coming here? Nope. Like other posters have said, there isn't really any relationship there, and the Gophers are not an option for him.

Do we have any interest in Delshon Stickland at all? I'm just wondering if he's an option if we miss out on some of our current targets.

Do we have any interest in Delshon Stickland at all? I'm just wondering if he's an option if we miss out on some of our current targets.

HIGHLY unlikely...no interest on our side per a source. I think he's going to end up at Auburn or VT.

Wasn't there a possibility Strickland reclassifies to 2015? Not sure if that's still an option or not.

Wasn't there a possibility Strickland reclassifies to 2015? Not sure if that's still an option or not.

Yeah that was discussed at one point on this board and I would assume it's still a possibility depending on what commitable offers Delshon has this Spring and where he's at academically.

Ryan James tweeted that Ryan Johnson a 2014 SF from New Hope Christian is visiting in 2 weeks and Pitino/Young are watching him Thursday.

Makes me less confident about Piper.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>New Hope Christian 6-ft-6 SF Ryan Johnson told me that he plans to visit Minnesota in 2 weekends. Also said Gophers will watch him Thursday</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/453720366888656897">April 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

Looks to be more of a shooter, could be good complement to go along with Piper...

Kid is smooth, has excellent range on his shot and put up some gaudy numbers in his prep league. Not sure how tough his competition was though.

Edit: Just noticed one of the teams he played against in those clips was Oak Hill Academy, so he must have played some good competition.

If we can get Piper, Johnson, and Kontae I would say that's a pretty solid class

If we can get Piper, Johnson, and Kontae I would say that's a pretty solid class

I'm not sold on this guy based on the two videos. Doesn't seem to be explosive at all and seems very slow with the ball in his hands. I would hope he is a backup if we are unable to get piper

I'm not sold on this guy based on the two videos. Doesn't seem to be explosive at all and seems very slow with the ball in his hands. I would hope he is a backup if we are unable to get piper

I'm not saying I'm completely sold on this guy either, but as of right now besides Piper it doesn't seem like we're really going after any wings. Can always use good shooters if we landed him.

Top Bottom