All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I'm not sold on this guy based on the two videos. Doesn't seem to be explosive at all and seems very slow with the ball in his hands. I would hope he is a backup if we are unable to get piper

Agreed. I'm sure there was a reason App. St. And NC Central were the only schools going after him. Our program can do better than this, and I'm sure there will be some solid Juco SGs available later this spring who could fill out our recruiting class.

gotta love spring recruiting, this kid had interest from app st and north Carolina central as of late Jan

http://phenomhoopreport.com/college-coaches-meet-65-wing-ryan-johnson/

Pretty tough to judge anything from the clip except he needs to be coachable because somebody needs to fix his shot. It would be unorthodox, to be
kind, to shoot with his present landing on his shot. I can see diamond in the rough potential but hope this is a backup to the backup plan. I'll trust Pitino's evaluation for sure over mine from a clip. He's a long way from the fall guys we were after, from what I see here.

Anyone know what time Piper's announcement is? Sorry if it's already been said and I missed it.

Agreed. I'm sure there was a reason App. St. And NC Central were the only schools going after him. Our program can do better than this, and I'm sure there will be some solid Juco SGs available later this spring who could fill out our recruiting class.

As of 4-8-2014, #3 Torian Graham of Chipola is the only SG/SF uncommitted in the top 50.

I am not a believer in Ryan Johnson from watching those 2 highlight videos. He seems like a solid shooter, but not the lights out shooter you'd like him to be for what else appears to be missing from his game. I don't see speed, quickness, strength, or jumping ability displayed in either video. I noticed one left handed tip in, but the rest of his finishes inside were with his right hand. The fact that he's visiting James Madison seems instructive as to what type of player Ryan Johnson is. Maybe he is the type of kid who is still growing in to his body (coach mentions his huge hands, long wingspan,etc) which would account for some of the lack of athletic skills displayed. I am a big believer in banking scholarships if you can't find the right guys in the Spring to use them on. I'd much rather not get back in to a situation where we have a number of Spring guys on the roster who belong a tier (or more) down the college basketball ladder. I don't know if Ryan Johnson is that type of player, but the highlight video coupled with his current level of offers/interest and our lack of success with Spring recruits over the last X number of years makes me skeptical. My guess is Johnson is a back up plan much like Gueye is where if we miss out on a few guys maybe he get an offer. I don't think it's a reaction to Piper as I think we could easily take two more wings, especially if the open number of scholarships creeps up to 4 instead of 3.

On the topic of Chipola, How is it I never heard of UConn signee Sam Cassel Jr. before!

No Clue. He's been mentioned a lot on this board. Has a game that reminds me a lot of his dad's too. Not a great athlete at the PG position, but he's crafty with getting his shot off.

Ryan James tweeted that Ryan Johnson a 2014 SF from New Hope Christian is visiting in 2 weeks and Pitino/Young are watching him Thursday.

Makes me less confident about Piper.

Guys, settle down. The video lists him as a SG, not a SF.

SG/SF.....a position highly interchangeable in Pitino's system. Personally, I'd be surprised if we took both along with Morris. I'm guessing Johnson is a backup plan.

We need to round out this class with some athletic big men....i.e...someone that can move their feet quick enough to hedge and recover on a pick and roll and also lock down Kaminsky on the perimeter!

I wish we would offer tall white boy who can shoot the lights out from 3. You can find those guys at Lifetime but not on our roster.

I wish we would offer tall white boy who can shoot the lights out from 3. You can find those guys at Lifetime but not on our roster.

Joey King....

The kicker is, who also plays Defense.... That's where lifetime is a little lackluster no?

why does he got to be white? personally, i'll take any player that can shoot lights out from 3

Don't get PC on us. It's just an expression.

My sarcastic side was going to say because the black guys would all rather dunk. But I'm not sure how many would've appreciated the jest.

My sarcastic side was going to say because the black guys would all rather dunk. But I'm not sure how many would've appreciated the jest.

it's a popular expression in Minnesota (and the Midwest as a whole).. not as prevalent in other parts of the country. and people wonder why athletes from out of state don't want to come here

it's a popular expression in Minnesota (and the Midwest as a whole).. not as prevalent in other parts of the country. and people wonder why athletes from out of state don't want to come here

sigh....

I'm going to bet that the phrase or the idea that we need a "white guy that can shoot" has absolutely 0 impact on any athlete from out of state wanting to or not wanting to come here.

Tubby could have had several (Matt Thomas, for one), but was more interested in guys who could jump high or disrupt passing lanes.

IMO there is always room on a roster for at least 1 guy who can consistently bury the open, spot-up 3 point shot, even if he can't do anything else particularly well (doesn't have to be a white guy obviously, but seems like it often is). You can't win if you don't put the ball in the hoop.

Wow, this thread turned crappy. Yes, we need a shooter.

Ok, so we got Piper making a decision soon. And this Ryan Johnson coming in next weekend. What other options are out there for us? Konate? Maybe some grad transfers? It's a little concerning that we have 3 scholarships open and what appears to be a lack of good options.

Wow, this thread turned crappy. Yes, we need a shooter.

Ok, so we got Piper making a decision soon. And this Ryan Johnson coming in next weekend. What other options are out there for us? Konate? Maybe some grad transfers? It's a little concerning that we have 3 scholarships open and what appears to be a lack of good options.

Welcome to spring recruiting.

by Ryan James

Six-foot-6 Ryan Johnson of New Hope Christian in North Carolina has numerous D1 programs following him as well as Minnesota who will see Johnson this week. Johnson plans to visi...
locked story top page right now of rivals
https://minnesota.rivals.com/

the "u" simply cannot compete with lifetime's facilities.

basketball-court-01.jpg

Attachments

• basketball-court-01.jpg
    basketball-court-01.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 21

by Ryan James

Six-foot-6 Ryan Johnson of New Hope Christian in North Carolina has numerous D1 programs following him as well as Minnesota who will see Johnson this week. Johnson plans to visi...
locked story top page right now of rivals
https://minnesota.rivals.com/

James really seems to think this kid is a pretty good spring recruit. He's a hard working, humble kid with a high basketball IQ. Some people don't like the offer list but there are a lot of mid-majors after this kid and James made a good point that if he were to go to say James Madison and average 10 a game people would be clamoring over him. BTW, this kid is completely different from Piper so it likely has nothing to do with the Seattle wing's decision.

James really seems to think this kid is a pretty good spring recruit. He's a hard working, humble kid with a high basketball IQ. Some people don't like the offer list but there are a lot of mid-majors after this kid and James made a good point that if he were to go to say James Madison and average 10 a game people would be clamoring over him. BTW, this kid is completely different from Piper so it likely has nothing to do with the Seattle wing's decision.

You cannot coach length and the intangible parts of being a scorer. He seems to have both. We need length, if hes a step slow, we can get that step through conditioning and training.

Go get'm tiger.

Top Bottom