All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

This is his 7:51 clip
Published on Mar 25, 2014
Ryan Johnson - Senior Shooting Guard for New Hope Christian Academy in Thomasville, NC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcJnx80Bv0

You cannot coach length and the intangible parts of being a scorer. He seems to have both. We need length, if hes a step slow, we can get that step through conditioning and training.

Go get'm tiger.

Tubby could have had several (Matt Thomas, for one), but was more interested in guys who could jump high or disrupt passing lanes.

Tubby did recruit Matt Thomas hard. He also recruited Ben Brust and Josh Ogelsby. Signing them was his issue.

Johnson is a little slow on the draw, but I like a 6-5 shooter.

Tubby did recruit Matt Thomas hard. He also recruited Ben Brust and Josh Ogelsby. Signing them was his issue.

Glad he didn't (or couldn't) sign Oglesby; if his perimeter shot isn't falling, he doesn't give you much else. Could have used Brust, though.

You cannot coach length and the intangible parts of being a scorer. He seems to have both. We need length, if hes a step slow, we can get that step through conditioning and training.

Go get'm tiger.

I read where this guy scored over 40 in a game this year and he did score something like 26 against Oak Hill Academy. An appraisal I read about him says he has some play making skills too. Piper may be a better athlete (which helps a lot on defense), but, from what I gather, wasn't a prolific scorer.

I thought the issue with Brust was that Tubby didn't want to start recruiting him until after he was released from his LOI with Iowa, but Bo recruited him before he was let out and and went to bat for him with the Big Ten to get him released from his LOI or something like that.

I thought the issue with Brust was that Tubby didn't want to start recruiting him until after he was released from his LOI with Iowa, but Bo recruited him before he was let out and and went to bat for him with the Big Ten to get him released from his LOI or something like that.

Is that legal? Not that it matters to these guys, but you make sound like Bo was pretty open about it

I read where this guy scored over 40 in a game this year and he did score something like 26 against Oak Hill Academy. An appraisal I read about him says he has some play making skills too. Piper may be a better athlete (which helps a lot on defense), but, from what I gather, wasn't a prolific scorer.

Tough to be a prolific scorer when your teammates take all of the shots. But I'm sure his offensive game needs some work.

All I read there was Bo got his guy.

Is that legal? Not that it matters to these guys, but you make sound like Bo was pretty open about it

From the nli site

Once I sign an NLI, may I be recruited by other institutions?

No. Once you sign an NLI, all other institutions are obligated to cease contacting you and your family members. Accordingly, you have an obligation to notify any coach from an NLI institution thay you have signed an NLI. Any contact in excess of an exchange of a greeting is not permitted regardless of the conversation. The conversation does not have to result in recruiting discussion for a recruiting ban violation to occur..

I do not believe that is correct. I doubt Bo would recruit a player who has signed with another school, as that is not allowed. He clearly recruited him once Iowa released him from his Iowa LOI though. The initial ruling was that Ben could not sign with another Big 10 school, but UW and Northwestern both supported him in his appeal. The initial ruling was over-turned and Ben was allowed to sign with UW.

I do not believe that is correct. I doubt Bo would recruit a player who has signed with another school, as that is not allowed. He clearly recruited him once Iowa released him from his Iowa LOI though. The initial ruling was that Ben could not sign with another Big 10 school, but UW and Northwestern both supported him in his appeal. The initial ruling was over-turned and Ben was allowed to sign with UW.

Okay that sounds right. I wasn't positive that what I said was exactly how it went down. Yeah maybe it was that Tubby didn't want to start recruiting him until it was clear he would be able to go to a Big Ten school. Thanks for clearing that up.

UWOle/Cayman are correct on the Brust situation. He was allowed out of his LOI with the caveat that he couldn't sign with another Big Ten school, Tubby was interested but wouldn't make contact until the ruling was over-turned. Brust committed to Wisconsin just about a week after he won his appeal. As for Matt Thomas, there was a time where he wanted to commit to Minnesota, but the Gophers were slow playing him. Time will tell if that was a mistake or not. Ogelsby was a plan B type guy for Tubby, so I don't think he really deserves to be criticized there.

I am officially concerned about what is going to happen with these open scholarships. I thought Minnesota would be an attractive destination for one of the 5th year/immediately eligible to play guys given all the minutes available at the four and the solid cast of players returning to play with. So far that hasn't proven to be the case, and it doesn't appear that we've been on any transfers (5th year or otherwise) list with the possible exception of Tyler Lewis.

I also thought the staff might be active in the JUCO market this Spring, but there's been no mention of the Gophers being involved with any of the JUCO's still left on the market (and they've really dried up fast over the past 3 weeks or so).

That leaves the high school/prep school kids still available and I thought both Piper and Konate would be solid additions to the Gopher program. Unfortunately, both are rumored to have qualifying issues which makes either showing up on campus next Fall a dicey proposition.

When it was announced Oto wouldn't be returning, I assumed that the staff had a good idea of where that scholarship was going. Now it seems much more likely that Oto simply can't play on his knee and that it wasn't a nice/convenient way of moving on.

There's still time for things to work out nicely, but it sure is uncomfortable having 3 open scholarships and not being linked to anyone who is both a lock to get qualified and a high major player.

Can someone tell me why we haven't offered Cinmeon Bowers? I thought we were in on him early in the season. He would be another big body we could add no??

Can someone tell me why we haven't offered Cinmeon Bowers? I thought we were in on him early in the season. He would be another big body we could add no??

Character concerns. He was arrested in January for eating marijuana after being stopped in a car. I think he's had other problems in the past as well.

I think he was involved in the off court issues, along with Graham. Eating weed.

Number of issues with him and I don't think he fits in great with Pitino's style.

I thought Minnesota would be an attractive destination for one of the 5th year/immediately eligible to play guys given all the minutes available at the four and the solid cast of players returning to play with. een no mention of the Gophers being involved with any of the JUCO's still left on the market (and they've really dried up fast over the past 3 weeks or so).

Me too. I can't think of very many programs that are better set with returning players at 2 of the 3 guard positions and the C position than we are. If I were a wing scorer looking to showcase my talents for 1 year as a 5th year senior, I would have Minnesota at or near the top of my list. And PF would be attractive as well, since although we return our "starting" PF he would be better as a 6th man/scoring F off the bench. I think King and Martin will be a great PF combo in 2015, but it would be ideal to have a plug-and-play for next year.

It is also frustrating to know how well Rashad Vaughn and Reid Travis would have plugged those holes, and what a great fit it would have been for them and for us.

Right, but how could NW and Wisc "support" him in his appeal when they still weren't permitted contact? He was released from his LOI at that point, but it was a conditional release not permitting tx to a B1G school. Or do you mean that when he was conditionally released from his LOI, anyone can talk to him but he just couldn't transfer to another B1G school? If so, seems like a pretty gigantic loophole.

Cal might be looking hard at Xavier's Chris Mack. Could this cause Macura to change his mind to join the gophers? Or would he want to stick to Xavier even with a coaching change?

Cal might be looking hard at Xavier's Chris Mack. Could this cause Macura to change his mind to join the gophers? Or would he want to stick to Xavier even with a coaching change?

Could see him going to Creighton if Mack does in fact leave, but who knows. Supposedly he prefers a smaller campus.

Not a good chance it happens, but after watching Macura in the state tournament I would love to see him play for the gophers. Just loved his I'm going to "bring it to you guys attitude"

Character concerns. He was arrested in January for eating marijuana after being stopped in a car. I think he's had other problems in the past as well.

FYI eating marijuana is not a reason to have concerns over someones character #gopherholelogic

okay not their character but perhaps their intelligence?

Right, but how could NW and Wisc "support" him in his appeal when they still weren't permitted contact? He was released from his LOI at that point, but it was a conditional release not permitting tx to a B1G school. Or do you mean that when he was conditionally released from his LOI, anyone can talk to him but he just couldn't transfer to another B1G school? If so, seems like a pretty gigantic loophole.

Pretty sure Iowa released Brust without restrictions, so he was allowed to talk to any school he wanted and vice versa.

per Shooter:

Former Columbia Heights guard Zach Lofton, who averaged 11.3 points as a sophomore guard this season at Illinois State, plans to transfer and would like to play for the Gophers, though that's unlikely to happen.

Those last five words sound like a Jim Gaffigan punch line.

Top Bottom