All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Malek Harris has reopened his recruitment. Top 5 in no order: VA Tech, Marquette, Florida, K-State and Gonzaga. (<a href="https://twitter.com/joehoopsreport">@joehoopsreport</a>) <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mubb&src=hash">#mubb</a></p>— Daily Eagle (@Daily_Eagle) <a href="https://twitter.com/Daily_Eagle/statuses/452832955975860224">April 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

@GravettMatt: Bakary Konate lists Minnesota, Texas A&M, Tulane, and Creighton as his new top four.

All recruiting will now need to refer to Reid. Reid will now replace such storied Gopher recruiting heartbreaks as Glenn Rice and Doug Wrenn. They are now distant bad memories. Reid is a ghost who is alive and well and will haunt us for a long time.

Look forward to Wednesday when this episode of Bold and Gopherhole-Recruiting Version is concluded.

Glenn Rice? I knew we were close to getting Webber (though now we know that Ed Martin had a lot to say about that) but I didn't know we were in on Rice. Wrenn, like Webber, has long been rumored to have been a $ situation.

They'll definitely be good. I was just reading up on Cekovsky signing, apparently they don't have an open scholarship for him right now. So I'm not sure how they're going to work around that but the rest of the class is pretty impressive, Trimble was a Mcdonalds All American.

Turgeon isn't the type of coach who's going to be bothered by showing someone the door if he can get someone better. He has done a number of things to indicate that he's a "win at all costs" type of college coach. The most obvious one is taking Dez Wells (expelled from Xavier for sex assault charge), but there are others. ACC coaches seem to dislike him intensely (example: Boeheim comments). He will do whatever it takes to get good players. Whether he can coach them well is yet to be proven.

Konate would be huge! Him, Piper, and a transfer who can shoot from the perimeter, would be ideal

Why would we need a transfer perimeter player? It would make morris signing a waste since he is a juco, which is like getting a transfer, I only want konate if he can play the 5, otherwise I'm not a fan of signing him. My ideal situation to finish this class would be, piper, transfer pf who can play right away, and a center we can stash for a year to learn under Mo and EE.

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

Why would we need a transfer perimeter player? It would make morris signing a waste since he is a juco, which is like getting a transfer, I only want konate if he can play the 5, otherwise I'm not a fan of signing him. My ideal situation to finish this class would be, piper, transfer pf who can play right away, and a center we can stash for a year to learn under Mo and EE.

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk
I was under the impression Konate could play the 5. I figured he would be that "center we can stash" like you are referring to.

As far as a transfer, I hear that Morris isn't much of a 3 point shoot (like 30% from 3). Since we need someone who can hit the 3 like Austin could, I would appreciate a grad-transfer who won't scare Piper or other SFs from committing.

I agree we could use another PF, but I think Martin should be an able body for us at the 4, and I expect King to get stronger this offseason so he can compete against B1G 10 PFs. Regardless, you are right in thinking we could use another PF.

However, I think another outside shooter is a more pressing need than the 4, especially if Andre Hollins doesn't return to his Sophomore self.

Because then we have no outside shooter

Glenn Rice? I knew we were close to getting Webber (though now we know that Ed Martin had a lot to say about that) but I didn't know we were in on Rice. Wrenn, like Webber, has long been rumored to have been a $ situation.

Rice was the biggest disappointment of all. Dutch was quoted years after the fact that they had him on the line and he was going on some Euro trip. They made a budget decision to not follow him there because he was a lock. Michigan did and by the time it was over, Rice was a Wolverine and not a Gopher. Since Dutch said it, it is entirely believable, and we did have a bit of a Michigan pipeline back then.

We lost Webber when an assistant at Michigan State squealed that he was in a Dome box on his recruiting visit, some type of violation at the time. Clem was prohibited from recruiting him for a period of time, and the rest is history. Chris got a nice amount of cash from Mr. Martin, and Clem was responsible for a few more egregious violations than having a kid in a box at a crappy stadium.

I was under the impression Konate could play the 5. I figured he would be that "center we can stash" like you are referring to.

As far as a transfer, I hear that Morris isn't much of a 3 point shoot (like 30% from 3). Since we need someone who can hit the 3 like Austin could, I would appreciate a grad-transfer who won't scare Piper or other SFs from committing.

I agree we could use another PF, but I think Martin should be an able body for us at the 4, and I expect King to get stronger this offseason so he can compete against B1G 10 PFs. Regardless, you are right in thinking we could use another PF.

However, I think another outside shooter is a more pressing need than the 4, especially if Andre Hollins doesn't return to his Sophomore self.

Austin was never a good shooter, just got hot late this season, but by all accounts, morris is a austin clone. I agree I want a shooter, that's why I wanted Eubanks more than I wanted piper, feel like Piper is really similar to morris, but staff wants him, and I see his potential so I don't mind signing him, he'll likely be very good for us down the line. I think King is really good outside shooter when he can spot up, which I think he'd be able to do a lot more of next year with Martin and another PF who can play right away. Don't get me wrong I like what I have seen of king and he has grown on me but I'm just not a fan of king playing in the post on defense or offense. I think our overall biggest need is a center, not that we need one next year, but thinking long term, I'd hate to see us going into 2015-2016 season with a freshman C, need someone in the program to learn under EE and Mo.

+1 My favorite recruit:) Carlos Morris did shoot 30% from the three. If you take out three games where he made almost half his total threes and shot 87%, he was at 22% for the season. Much better to risk King/Martin filling the 4, than Morris/Piper filling the 3, when we have no idea if Dre can regain his sophomore form.

I really hope we sign Konate. 6'11" center with offers from Louisville, Oregon among others. We need a big this year and another next year with walker and Eliason graduating

+1 My favorite recruit:) Carlos Morris did shoot 30% from the three. If you take out three games where he made almost half his total threes and shot 87%, he was at 22% for the season. Much better to risk King/Martin filling the 4, than Morris/Piper filling the 3, when we have no idea if Dre can regain his sophomore form.

Howie, that's not how statistics work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin was never a good shooter, just got hot late this season, but by all accounts, morris is a austin clone. I agree I want a shooter, that's why I wanted Eubanks more than I wanted piper, feel like Piper is really similar to morris, but staff wants him, and I see his potential so I don't mind signing him, he'll likely be very good for us down the line. I think King is really good outside shooter when he can spot up, which I think he'd be able to do a lot more of next year with Martin and another PF who can play right away. Don't get me wrong I like what I have seen of king and he has grown on me but I'm just not a fan of king playing in the post on defense or offense. I think our overall biggest need is a center, not that we need one next year, but thinking long term, I'd hate to see us going into 2015-2016 season with a freshman C, need someone in the program to learn under EE and Mo.

He made nearly 2 three's per game and shot around 35% his career, so that's definitely significant three point shooting we'll miss. I agree with the other guy that we really need to bring in a shooter.

Say we don't get Piper...*knock on wood*... do we have a plan B now that Cohen is staying?

I really hope we sign Konate. 6'11" center with offers from Louisville, Oregon among others. We need a big this year and another next year with walker and Eliason graduating

My ideal situation would be to sign Konate (or another center) this year, redshirt him and then find a senior transfer for the 2015-2016 season.

Rice was the biggest disappointment of all. Dutch was quoted years after the fact that they had him on the line and he was going on some Euro trip. They made a budget decision to not follow him there because he was a lock. Michigan did and by the time it was over, Rice was a Wolverine and not a Gopher. Since Dutch said it, it is entirely believable, and we did have a bit of a Michigan pipeline back then.

We lost Webber when an assistant at Michigan State squealed that he was in a Dome box on his recruiting visit, some type of violation at the time. Clem was prohibited from recruiting him for a period of time, and the rest is history. Chris got a nice amount of cash from Mr. Martin, and Clem was responsible for a few more egregious violations than having a kid in a box at a crappy stadium.

Wasn't that assistant none other than Tom Izzo?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Zach Lofton (Columbia Heights HS) is leaving Ill. State. 2nd leading scorer. He wants to play for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>. No sign yet they'll call. Maybe.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/453349332935127040">April 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Zach Lofton (Columbia Heights HS) is leaving Ill. State. 2nd leading scorer. He wants to play for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>. No sign yet they'll call. Maybe.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/453349332935127040">April 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Lots of baggage right?

Go Gophers!!

Ya, we're good. Thanks but no thanks.

On second though, his season statistics show a horribly inefficient shooter. His game by game statistics show that a lot of his bad games came at the beginning of his freshmen year. He does have potential to be a good scorer.

That's classified. Quoted for evidence.

Ha! The only family to threaten to sue GopherHole and its members if we talked about Lofton on here! What would they do if he actually played here?

Go Gophers!!

Gopherhole should be ashmed that they let his parents bull the site. They had no case whatsoever. Gopherhole should be ashamed for closing that thread.

Gopherhole should be ashmed that they let his parents bull the site. They had no case whatsoever. Gopherhole should be ashamed for closing that thread.

Maybe not ashamed, but yeah I don't see why they closed the thread down... Maybe they did because he was under 18 & it was just in the best interest of GH not to deal with the drama.

Don't think I want to deal with that baggage all for someone who has to sit out a year, but I'm not the coach.

Maybe not ashamed, but yeah I don't see why they closed the thread down... Maybe they did because he was under 18 & it was just in the best interest of GH not to deal with the drama.

Don't think I want to deal with that baggage all for someone who has to sit out a year, but I'm not the coach.

That's my guess as well and I don't blame them.

Top Bottom