All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Just looked it up one of his teammates who is elite 2015 prospect Dejounte Murray is a huge cats fan and is close to getting an offer from Kentucky

Man I hope Pitino can bring in some players that are just straight athletes and aren't afraid to go at people with some toughness. I feel like the players he's bringing in so far could be like that.

Drew Messmer ‏@AllMetroDrew 16m
2014 Djuan Piper out of Rainier Beach (WA) will commit in the next 3 days choosing Minnesota, Washington or South Carolina, per @GravettMatt

Let's hope this is the first of many great news items this offseason!

So is this a Piper or Cohen thing, or would we take both?

At some point we have to draw the line I would think. Can you really take 3 guys that are all 6' 6" and 180 pounds? Morris, Piper, and Cohen would essentially be three identical bodies.

UNLESS one of them can shoot the lights out and play the 2. From the little I've seen on their recruiting profiles, they both seem to be slashers who can hit the pull up jumper if they need to.

My guess: We'd take both.

So is this a Piper or Cohen thing, or would we take both?

We could definitely take both. Cohen can play PG/SG, while Piper is really only a SF. We have 3 spots available, although I have a feeling Pitino will reserve one for a transfer/JUCO guy.

At some point we have to draw the line I would think. Can you really take 3 guys that are all 6' 6" and 180 pounds? Morris, Piper, and Cohen would essentially be three identical players.

UNLESS one of them can shoot the lights out and play the 2. From the little I've seen on their recruiting profiles, they both seem to be slashers who can hit the pull up jumper if they need to.

Cohen and Piper's games are way different IMO. Their positions wouldn't the same either. It would definitely make sense to take both if they were willing to come here. (I still think Sandy stays a Golden Eagle though)

At some point we have to draw the line I would think. Can you really take 3 guys that are all 6' 6" and 180 pounds? Morris, Piper, and Cohen would essentially be three identical bodies.

This is what I was thinking. Cohen seems to be more of a 2, but that's just a maybe. I don't think he's a proven shooter or ball handler. We may take both just because we need to increase the amount of athletes on this team. However, my guess is that they'd rather even up the roster by taking one of the two, then adding a frosh center and a juco PF. If we're going to having a 6 person class, do we want five of them to be freshman?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michal Cekovsky commits to Maryland. Story ($): <a href="http://t.co/D5CtevAB1j">http://t.co/D5CtevAB1j</a></p>— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/statuses/453207219224322048">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is still talk of landing Cohen? Did I miss something? I thought he loved Wojo and was excited to build a relationship with him?

This is what I was thinking. Cohen seems to be more of a 2, but that's just a maybe. I don't think he's a proven shooter or ball handler. We may take both just because we need to increase the amount of athletes on this team. However, my guess is that they'd rather even up the roster by taking one of the two, then adding a frosh center and a juco PF. If we're going to having a 6 person class, do we want five of them to be freshman?

I don't see why we need to add 2 more C/PF beyond Martin. With Martin we have 5 players playing C/PF(Walker, Elliason, Buggs, King, Martin). If we add 2 more then we have 7 of our 13 scholarships tied up in 2 positions and that makes little sense. We take all 3 6'6" players and play them at the 2/3 not a problem and have 7 players at the 1, 2,or 3(Dre, Dre, McNiel, piper*, Cohen*, Morris, Mason). That is 2 PG's 2 SG and 3 SF who could all play SG.

Edit: Corrected a mistake

I don't see why we need to add 2 more C/PF beyond Martin. With Martin we have 5 players playing C/PF(Williams, Elliason, Buggs, King, Martin). If we add 2 more then we have 7 of our 13 scholarships tied up in 2 positions and that makes little sense. We take all 3 6'6" players and play them at the 2/3 not a problem and have 7 players at the 1, 2,or 3(Dre, Dre, McNiel, piper*, Cohen*, Morris, Mason). That is 2 PG's 2 SG and 3 SF who could all play SG.

Walker - senior
Eliason - senior
Buggs - unproven, probably a SF
King - prove to be a solid backup PF, at best
Martin - Freshman PF

Gophers have no centers to replace Walker or Eliason.

Martin is a fresh who I believe will start at PF. However, if you could get a top juco PF, I think that would even out the roster as well as fill an open starting position.

Ya center certainly is a cause for concern. We need to find something there.

Walker - senior
Eliason - senior
Martin - Freshman PF

Martin is a fresh who I believe will start at PF. However, if you could get a top juco PF, I think that would even out the roster as well as fill an open starting position.

I'd agree that last scholarship would need to go to a C. But I have issue with calling Buggs a SF. In this system he is not a SF, not unless he can improve his ball handling significantly.

I don't see why we need to add 2 more C/PF beyond Martin. With Martin we have 5 players playing C/PF(Williams, Elliason, Buggs, King, Martin). If we add 2 more then we have 7 of our 13 scholarships tied up in 2 positions and that makes little sense. We take all 3 6'6" players and play them at the 2/3 not a problem and have 7 players at the 1, 2,or 3(Dre, Dre, McNiel, piper*, Cohen*, Morris, Mason). That is 2 PG's 2 SG and 3 SF who could all play SG.
Williams??

Coach P. would definitely take both and we are at the point where you take the best player available. Cohen looks like a 2 and Piper a 3, so it would work anyway. The number one need for next season is a wing to provide immediate firepower and it doesn't appear that type of player is available. A F-C for next season and beyond would be our second greatest need, but a C who can provide minutes in 2015/16 is more likely.

Coach P. would definitely take both and we are at the point where you take the best player available. Cohen looks like a 2 and Piper a 3, so it would work anyway. The number one need for next season is a wing to provide immediate firepower and it doesn't appear that type of player is available. A F-C for next season and beyond would be our second greatest need, but a C who can provide minutes in 2015/16 is more likely.

We would take both. We are not at the point where we would just take the best player available. The staff believes they do have a wing with firepower coming in, in Morris.

I would look at the power forward and center as the same postion. That as a big who may all bring something different to the table. Many times a fprward will be playing center for Pitino's system. Mo and Elliot I don't believe have the skill set we will recruit in the future. They are basically fives will no postion flexability. I think right now are biggest need is an athletic big. A juco player would probably be the best route to shore that up. Actually a roster of 6-6 players isn't the worst thing either look at say a Dayton. You take both if you can get them.

I think the last 3 scholarships can a few ways #1 to Piper or another SF, #2 to Cohen if he opens his recruitment back up or a flat out shooter that could be either a grad transfer that is eligible right away, juco, or true freshman, #3 a graduate PF that is eligible right away or a center that would probably be a freshman or transfer and could redshirt or ideally Obepka from St. Johns as a transfer who has to sit a year.

We would take both. We are not at the point where we would just take the best player available. The staff believes they do have a wing with firepower coming in, in Morris.

We have no idea if the Dre from his sophomore year will show up or the Dre from his junior year, and Morris was lightly recruited. I'm guessing Coach P. will continue to look for a wing to provide immediate firepower and if he ends up with 2, so much for the better.

Walker - senior
Eliason - senior
Martin - Freshman PF

I don't really see how you can say this, considering King was one of our more important players for the last few weeks or months of the season. Plus throw in the fact that he's still got another 2 years. I'd be surprised if he isn't a starter next year, and probably his senior year as well (of course a lot can happen between now and then).

I don't get the vibe Piper is coming to the U. Thinkin' he'll end up elsewhere, perhaps not even at any of the schools being talked about.

I would look at the power forward and center as the same postion. That as a big who may all bring something different to the table. Many times a fprward will be playing center for Pitino's system. Mo and Elliot I don't believe have the skill set we will recruit in the future. They are basically fives will no postion flexability. I think right now are biggest need is an athletic big. A juco player would probably be the best route to shore that up. Actually a roster of 6-6 players isn't the worst thing either look at say a Dayton. You take both if you can get them.

I agree with this. I think Martin and Alex I. can both play F-C in Pitino's system.

I don't get the vibe Piper is coming to the U. Thinkin' he'll end up elsewhere, perhaps not even at any of the schools being talked about.

I get the feeling he's going to stay home but I hope i'm very very wrong.

Walker - senior
Eliason - senior
Martin - Freshman PF

2015 has all the makings of a disaster without another big this year, I prefer a center that is comfortable in the post, you need someone at least 6'9", I have a feeling we will be going the Juco route though in 2015 on the nature of an Ingram talentwise, hope I am surprised but that tends to be the most difficult position to fill, Tubby always had a couple of centers that had good talent making it seem easy.

Top Bottom