Alexandria WR Kristen Hoskins commits

I am from Alex and could engage in where this thread has gone.....but I won't.

Talked to the local sports guy (who is really good) and he said Hoskins has a legit 4.34 40 in his past.

To those that want to see him play, we routinely play the St. Cloud area schools (Tech, Apollo, Sartell) so you can probably do it from about an hour drive from Gopherville. Not sure what is home/away yet. We have a really nice field here with turf if you want to voyage another hour. PM me if you want to know the schedule and when it comes out I can let you know. We will have a pretty solid team if we can get just good QB play.

Unfortunately, we did not have a dynamic QB last year and he got hurt halfway through so we went to our 2nd string. So it was a little easier to take Hoskins out of the game. However, the coaches do a pretty good job of being creative. He will get the ball in his hands. Unfortunately, no team is dumb enough to kick or punt the ball to him so he gets very few returns, but when he does get a chance, he scores about half the time. It is pretty fun to watch.

Just ignore him and get back to the point. People like him want to turn everything into an unintelligent Facebook forum for grievance idiots.

This thread is about this kids commitment. He is going to be an exciting player for the U and his skill set is going to bring something I don't think the current WR group has.
I feel bad for kids who find a commitment thread about them and...it's some jerks going off about their personal ideology or dorked up view of other stuff.

I am from Alex and could engage in where this thread has gone.....but I won't.

Talked to the local sports guy (who is really good) and he said Hoskins has a legit 4.34 40 in his past.

To those that want to see him play, we routinely play the St. Cloud area schools (Tech, Apollo, Sartell) so you can probably do it from about an hour drive from Gopherville. Not sure what is home/away yet. We have a really nice field here with turf if you want to voyage another hour. PM me if you want to know the schedule and when it comes out I can let you know. We will have a pretty solid team if we can get just good QB play.

Unfortunately, we did not have a dynamic QB last year and he got hurt halfway through so we went to our 2nd string. So it was a little easier to take Hoskins out of the game. However, the coaches do a pretty good job of being creative. He will get the ball in his hands. Unfortunately, no team is dumb enough to kick or punt the ball to him so he gets very few returns, but when he does get a chance, he scores about half the time. It is pretty fun to watch.
This and your earlier post were very informative and much appreciated. Its always great to get first hand viewpoint from someone familiar with a player and team. Thank you and please keep us posted on Kristen's progress.

He is part of a 3 headed monster for our basketball team that is 10-1. Our stud turned his ankle last week and we had to play without him. Kristen scored 33 in the win. Watching people try and guard him is fun. Many times I have said, dude (his defender), you are too close. You are beat and don't even know it. Then a millisecond later, yep, just like I thought.

I will say it again, he is a good kid who has special skills. I am thrilled we will get to watch him on Saturdays.

Oh, one other thing, he is not injury prone at all.

that's what Hoskins wrote in his twitter post when he committed. "this decision wasn't very hard but I would like to announce my commitment to the University of Minnesota".

I'm not going to scroll back and figure out what started this little kerfuffle, but I think the bolded part may show that Fleck may be building the in-state recruiting foundation we need. I'm not one of those "we should never lose a Minnesota kid" types. It's a different world now in terms of recruiting and we're not going to get them all. But it takes time to build that in-state network and hopefully the Hoskins commitment is the sign of good things to come.

Nowhere in there does it say "they moved to Alexandria only because it was safer".
You're right.

It could've easily meant that in Chicago and Mpls, they kept running into objects that were too abrasive, tearing clothes and scraping skin. So they just needed a place that was "less rough". Get it?

:rolleyes:

People getting gun downed in Woodbury? What happened?
You didn't hear??

Oh man. There's been a gang war out there since mid 2019. Lost a lot of men out in those streets.

The Crips from the north side were hanging out at the Dick's sporting goods in Tamarack Village -- well known Crip territory, won from the fueds back in '89.

The Bloods from the south side were spotted grabbing pizza at the Costco off 494. That's the farthest north they'd dared to venture in 20 years.

That's when things got ugly.

to Mpls Gopher --

Why someone would choose to live in a smaller community:
less expensive housing
less traffic
lower property taxes
good schools
and yes, less crime and violence than a larger city

And, Alex is a 2-hr drive away from the Twin Cities, so if you want to go to a sporting event, a concert, etc, you can do it.

I've lived in the Twin Cities. I would not move back there again. This has NOTHING to do with politics. I just hate traffic, and driving around looking for a place to park.

in closing - I will not tell you how to live your life. Please don't tell me - or anyone else on this board - how to live our lives.
Man, answering these types of posts -- when I very clearly said nothing of the sort -- gets tiresome.

For the 12839012nd time: I said nothing of the sort. I support your decision, and anyone's decision, for whatever reasons they want.

I feel bad for kids who find a commitment thread
You do realize that only old people do message boards, right?

Kids do Twitter, Insta, Snap, TikTok, and probably other apps that I have never heard of.

I am really excited to see a playmaker like Hoskins come to the U. Adds a dimension to our offense and, perhaps, to special teams. Love to see a few more posts discussing Hoskins and what we know of his talents and potential. I vote for more discussion of Kristen Hoskins the person, and less internecine bickering.

I am very elated that we have Kristen Hoskins' commitment. The Gophers are paying attention to out of metro area players. Previous to this, they got Logan Richter and Blaise Andries.

These are kids that want to be Gophers. Sure, we've missed a few who opted for Iowa, Wisconsin, or opting to go to a storied program. Maybe, we will miss miss out of players who opted for NDSU and other FCS programs. But, I am happy for the ones who opted to stay. It is important to keep as many of the best instate players as much as possible.

We'll have fun watching Kristen's career blossom.

You didn't hear??

Oh man. There's been a gang war out there since mid 2019. Lost a lot of men out in those streets.

The Crips from the north side were hanging out at the Dick's sporting goods in Tamarack Village -- well known Crip territory, won from the fueds back in '89.

The Bloods from the south side were spotted grabbing pizza at the Costco off 494. That's the farthest north they'd dared to venture in 20 years.

That's when things got ugly.
You must work for fox news or something.

Yeah, the bolded part of your post is exactly what I am seeing, too.

I know that highlight tape can be misleading, but the sheer athleticism is undeniable.

I agree. Obviously he is not playing against elite level speed, but you can see stuff that would translate into higher level play.

Man, answering these types of posts -- when I very clearly said nothing of the sort -- gets tiresome.

For the 12839012nd time: I said nothing of the sort. I support your decision, and anyone's decision, for whatever reasons they want.

I agree. Obviously he is not playing against elite level speed, but you can see stuff that would translate into higher level play.

Agreed. And speed is speed. Cool thing about that is clocks don’t lie.

Has a middle range 3* ever had a five page thread on this forum?

Has a middle range 3* ever had a five page thread on this forum?

Absolutely. This has the potential to be one of those underrated signings that could end up being a steal when it is all said and done. He is likely to finish near the bottom of the class, but brings a skill set to the table that we have not had a lot of and if it translates to the college game he could be a really nice player for us.

Awesome to see how excited he is about being a Gopher in some of the writeups since his commitment. Feels like a kid that is locked in even if he ends up blowing up some his senior year.

Absolutely. This has the potential to be one of those underrated signings that could end up being a steal when it is all said and done. He is likely to finish near the bottom of the class, but brings a skill set to the table that we have not had a lot of and if it translates to the college game he could be a really nice player for us.

Awesome to see how excited he is about being a Gopher in some of the writeups since his commitment. Feels like a kid that is locked in even if he ends up blowing up some his senior year.
He may finish near the bottom, but also wouldn’t be surprised if ratings change a lot. At this stage a lot of kids don’t even have a rating until they verbal somewhere.

Agreed. And speed is speed. Cool thing about that is clocks don’t lie.

Maybe they ought to insert him as a FB or RB once in awhile. Short speedy guys are hard to see hiding behind shifting linemen like the Gophers did effectively against Auburn. He is much shorter than Percy Harvin (5' 11"), The 2008 Florida National Champion Swiss Army Knife. If this kid has legit 4.40 speed, Hallelujah!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OT: Hallelujah!, by Jeff Buckley
A song I dedicate for fellow Covid-19 Ventilated Survivors, 27.1% survival rate, and to all those who lost loved ones to the Covid-19 Pandemic. I am truly blessed and gratefully thankful! It wasn't my time. My dearest Karen, I will see you someday. I am having a hard time letting you go. This song just hits me in the gut every time I played it. Losing someone dear to you make you truly understand its meaning. Thank you Leonard Cohen for writing this song.

Last edited:

Top Bottom