Alexandria WR Kristen Hoskins commits

Only took 2 pages to completely derail this thread going from being happy for a kid accepting a scholarship to being a debate on race and liberal/conservative values. Good job everyone!
And it all started with someone making a claim that the family fled the hard knock streets of Minneapolis for the tranquility of Alexandria, Minnesota.

Happy to get back on track.

What else would you like to discuss about this young man?

Only took 2 pages to completely derail this thread going from being happy for a kid accepting a scholarship to being a debate on race and liberal/conservative values. Good job everyone!
Really sad in my estimation. Not sure why we can't just concentrate on a great addition to the football team as opposed to bringing in hurtful and demeaning comments.

Hmmm ... this bit sounds off.

If that were a thing, I suspect more folks would've done it.

That said, if you want to live in a small outstate town that is 96+% white, then by all means.
Poor neighborhoods in Minneapolis get shot up.
Poor neighborhoods in Alexandria don't.
Also better schools, better community, and lower cost of living.🤷‍♂️

I didn't say anything about quality of life.

But I suppose in the summer, that bottom number swells up to maybe 20k or so. Plus 10k fishing boats and jetskis.
The contempt you showed for small towns and whites would suggest you equate those things with an undesirable quality of life.

Population comparison now? What does population have to do with the quality of life?

The contempt you showed for small towns and whites would suggest you equate those things with an undesirable quality of life.

Population comparison now? What does population have to do with the quality of life?

I think his point seems pretty straightforward--if there were so many people who are convinced that Alex is a better place to live than Minneapolis, why don't more people live in Alex than Minneapolis?

On the main topic, 'm very happy that Kristen opted for the Gophers, hope he can make an instant impact on special teams.

I think his point seems pretty straightforward--if there were so many people who are convinced that Alex is a better place to live than Minneapolis, why don't more people live in Alex than Minneapolis?

On the main topic, 'm very happy that Kristen opted for the Gophers, hope he can make an instant impact on special teams.
I don’t understand his point. No one is arguing that everyone thinks the quality of life is better in Alexandria. Someone said that this particular family wanted to live in a safer place, which is entirely possible.

And it all started with someone making a claim that the family fled the hard knock streets of Minneapolis for the tranquility of Alexandria, Minnesota.

Happy to get back on track.

What else would you like to discuss about this young man?
That claim can’t possibly be true?

I don’t understand his point. No one is arguing that everyone thinks the quality of life is better in Alexandria. Someone said that this particular family wanted to live in a safer place, which is entirely possible.

I read Dakota2's post as saying it was contemptuous to point out that Mpls. had more people than Alexandria. That's what I was responding to. I'll stay out of it.

Poor neighborhoods in Minneapolis get shot up.
Poor neighborhoods in Alexandria don't.
Also better schools, better community, and lower cost of living.🤷‍♂️
Is that so?

They must be lining up on I-94, then? Why wouldn't they move up there?

What contempt?

It doesn't.

But it does indicate that more people are choosing to live in one place, as opposed to another, for whatever various reasons.

I truly wonder what folks in N Mpls would say if asked "would you move to Alexandria?"

My guess is they'd be like "... where? Is that Egypt?"

That claim can’t possibly be true?
Well, I dug a little deeper.

Turns out the claim has some truth sprinkled in ... but not the full story.

The story turns out to be that his family always had big dreams of owning a bait shop in a Minnesota town that was just off I-94, between Mpls and Fargo. It was down to Albany, Alexandria, and Fergus.

Alex won out due to the abundance of Love's truck stops within 30mins drive either way.

Just to clarify, that story is true. I found it in an article from a local paper. Could you imagine being a kid his age playing sports in Alexandria and a kid with D1 football talent and probably high D2 basketball talent all of a sudden shows up the first day of middle school?! Talk about hitting the jackpot for a small towns athletic dreams.

Just to clarify, that story is true. I found it in an article from a local paper. Could you imagine being a kid his age playing sports in Alexandria and a kid with D1 football talent and probably high D2 basketball talent all of a sudden shows up the first day of middle school?! Talk about hitting the jackpot for a small towns athletic dreams.
Hmm.

So Tyler Johnson and his family survived the gang war-torn battlefields of N Mpls fine, but this guy's family just didn't feel safe and decided it was best to head for .... [checks notes] .... Alexandria, MN.

Uh huh. You sure his folks didn't just get a job transfer or find a job up there?

I believe Kristen was quoted as saying something to the effect of his family decided on Alexandria for no specific reason, they just ended up there

He was also quoted as saying that Minneapolis was starting to feel a little like Chicago so they decided to move

Its not that simple. Never is.

What does the community and area have to offer, and will it help you enjoy life? Its not about population, percentage of ethnic groups, etc. Chicago, Mpls, would never be for me nor would Bayfield likely be the place for millions of others.

Each to their own. Can't we just leave it at that?

Its not that simple. Never is.

What does the community and area have to offer, and will it help you enjoy life? Its not about population, percentage of ethnic groups, etc. Chicago, Mpls, would never be for me nor would Bayfield likely be the place for millions of others.

Each to their own. Can't we just leave it at that?

That's exactly what I'm saying, you'll get no argument from me on that point.

Boy, watching Kristens highlights im not sure how he’s only a 3 star guy. Must be the level of competition but video doesn’t lie. I will say it, as quick and fast as Jeff Jones was. I can see him as the punt and kick off returner as freshman and then even a slot receiver as frosh or sophomore.

I grew up in Northfield MN and I decided to move to the big city. I moved to Chicago for a year then to San Diego CA and from there Houston TX. I wanted to back to smaller town living so I moved to Cedar Rapids IA, I now live in Selma IA very small town under 200.

The only thing I miss from big cities are the restaurants. I own 50 acres of land and a nice house I paid just under 300k. You can't get that in a big city or you can't on my budget.

I do not but I assume that the Alex vs Moorhead game would be fun to watch. I will be watching as well

Top Bottom