Alexandria WR Kristen Hoskins commits

Craig McDonald from Minnehaha picked ISU over us two years ago. Either school should be attractive for wrs. Why a safety would pick ISU over us is a little more of a head scratcher.

Two years ago, even members of GH community haven't "bought" into RTB yet. It was clear that Bryce Benhart got swept into anti RTB too.

Hmm.

So Tyler Johnson and his family survived the gang war-torn battlefields of N Mpls fine, but this guy's family just didn't feel safe and decided it was best to head for .... [checks notes] .... Alexandria, MN.

Uh huh. You sure his folks didn't just get a job transfer or find a job up there?
Different people value different things. I don't know why you have such a hard time believing someone of color would want to live in a small town. Sure, it's less common but if that's their preference, why question it? For them apparently the pros outweigh the cons.

I think his point seems pretty straightforward--if there were so many people who are convinced that Alex is a better place to live than Minneapolis, why don't more people live in Alex than Minneapolis?

On the main topic, 'm very happy that Kristen opted for the Gophers, hope he can make an instant impact on special teams.
The answer to your question is simple. If companies make their home in Alex, more people will move there. It's simple economics. Mpls/St. Paul grew and keep growing because many many years ago Fort Snelling was built. Then flour mills were built along St Anthony Falls while State government was established down stream.
If companies chose to headquarter in Alex, the city would grow quickly.

As for a football player from Alex choosing UMN, I hope he has an amazing 4 years at UMN.

Why ever his family moved to Alex, that is their family business, so why don't we just drop it and celebrate another recruit and a young man who wants to Row our Boat - that should be enough!
Sure.

What else specifically about this young man would you like to discuss? Go ahead, start it off.

I don't know why you have such a hard time believing someone of color would want to live in a small town. Sure, it's less common but if that's their preference, why question it?
I don't have a hard time believing it. Never said anything close to that.

Again, the claim that was made originally that started this whole tangent was that his family thought Mpls was "too rough", so they moved to .... [checks notes] ....Alexandria, Minnesota.

That's like claiming someone moved from Denver to Fargo because they thought Denver was just a little too mountain-y.

It was a silly thing to say, I doubt that was the reason, at all, as there are approximately 1 million cities and towns that aren't "too rough" in between Mpls and Alexandria.

I challenged that claim, much to the chagrin of several on this thread, and that is that.

Sure.

What else specifically about this young man would you like to discuss? Go ahead, start it off.

Per 24/7 he is currently listed as the 8th best recruit in MN for 2022 (see link). I wonder if he'll end move up in his rankings - currently a three star 84 and 137 at this position.

Has anyone seen both Hoskins and Mekhi Collins (the other WR recruit target from Mankato) play? Obviously much different sizes for them. Any thoughts on how they compare ability wise?

2022 Top Football Recruits in Minnesota (247sports.com)

I don't have a hard time believing it. Never said anything close to that.

Again, the claim that was made originally that started this whole tangent was that his family thought Mpls was "too rough", so they moved to .... [checks notes] ....Alexandria, Minnesota.

That's like claiming someone moved from Denver to Fargo because they thought Denver was just a little too mountain-y.

It was a silly thing to say, I doubt that was the reason, at all, as there are approximately 1 million cities and towns that aren't "too rough" in between Mpls and Alexandria.

I challenged that claim, much to the chagrin of several on this thread, and that is that.
I don't know why I'm doing this, but as someone who grew up in rural Minnesota and wouldn't trade it for anything, have you ever actually been to Alexandria or spent any amount of time there longer than just driving through?

I don't know why I'm doing this, but as someone who grew up in rural Minnesota and wouldn't trade it for anything, have you ever actually been to Alexandria or spent any amount of time there longer than just driving through?
Alex no, but Fergus yes. DL yes. Same thing. These are all fine towns. And all have proud football programs. There is literally nothing wrong with growing up in any of them.

I really don't understand why it is so hard for folks to not extrapolate my point beyond what I was actually saying. I was being very, very specific, and implied nothing beyond that specific point.

Alex no, but Fergus yes. DL yes. Same thing. These are all fine towns. And all have proud football programs. There is literally nothing wrong with growing up in any of them.

I really don't understand why it is so hard for folks to not extrapolate my point beyond what I was actually saying. I was being very, very specific, and implied nothing beyond that specific point.
This was your original post:
"Hmmm ... this bit sounds off.

If that were a thing, I suspect more folks would've done it.

That said, if you want to live in a small outstate town that is 96+% white, then by all means."

Just addressing this point specifically, people move to outstate Minnesota all the time for the purposes of raising their families in a community that they perceive is "better" for an array of reasons, one of which is a perception of "safety" which likely comes from the feeling of that everyone knows you, knows your kids, knows your life, etc. Some people perceive that as "safe" and some people may feel they cannot get that in the metro and thus look elsewhere.
To try to compare picking Alex itself as compared to the number of people living in the metro/Mpls/etc. to justify the n of 1 we're discussing doesn't really make any sense if you're trying to compare this phenomenon, especially when you yourself say they're all the "same thing" in terms of rural towns. Why you can't perceive that one family may feel that Alexandria (or any of these more rural towns you list) is safer is beyond me as many families make this choice every year.

For myself, I don't perceive the Twin Cities to be violent or frightening or any of the like and given that, I have and will stay here. My brother and sister, on the other hand, both chose to move back to rural MN/ND to raise their families there with both of them citing feeling their kids were safe there as part of their decision

Why you can't perceive that one family may feel that Alexandria (or any of these more rural towns you list) is safer is beyond me as many families make this choice every year.
Why Alex instead of North Branch, Cambridge, St Francis, Elk River, Anandale, Delano .... do you want me to keep making the full compass sweep?

The point was always that: Alex itself was very likely not chosen just because it is "safer" than Mpls.

This didn't happen: "wow Mpls is rough! We need to move. Where should we go? Let's see ..... innie, meanie, minnie ..... MO! Ok, look up the crime stats for 'Alexandria, Minnesota'."

No chance.

The folks got a job, or they knew someone there, or perhaps they knew someone down here who suggested that community because of the football program, or a million other reasons that are a million percent more believable than what was claimed.

Why Alex instead of North Branch, Cambridge, St Francis, Elk River, Anandale, Delano .... do you want me to keep making the full compass sweep?

The point was always that: Alex itself was very likely not chosen just because it is "safer" than Mpls.

This didn't happen: "wow Mpls is rough! We need to move. Where should we go? Let's see ..... innie, meanie, minnie ..... MO! Ok, look up the crime stats for 'Alexandria, Minnesota'."

No chance.

The folks got a job, or they knew someone there, or perhaps they knew someone down here who suggested that community because of the football program, or a million other reasons that are a million percent more believable than what was claimed.

? no one said that was the "only" reason. that was claimed that that was what prompted them to leave, not that then they just selected the next city only based on safety. then you made a comment on how white it was and cited the number of people living there on your next posts and that derailed into everything else. The OP didn't write what you're claiming they wrote.

Lets be honest Minneapolis because of poor leadership Mayor - city council is & has been declining as it is a hot mess! A once great vibrant city is turning into a banana republic. Their elected officials are unqualified. Out state citizens are tired of paying for their mistakes & poor decisions. I wish they would learn leadership from coach PJ! Very excited about our newest commit.

Last edited:

YES they did. That is why I responded, in the first place. Dude, read the thread.
This is the exact post you quoted:

"Great sign! So the story goes...Kristen was born in Chicago but it was getting too rough so his family moved to Minneapolis. Then Minneapolis was getting too rough and his family moved to Alexandria. He’s been starting on the Varsity football team since 9th grade and is also a good basketball player on a team that’s 10-0 so far. He’s from a smaller town but I wouldn’t call him a small town kid."

This is your exact response:
"Hmmm ... this bit sounds off.

If that were a thing, I suspect more folks would've done it.

That said, if you want to live in a small outstate town that is 96+% white, then by all means."

Nowhere in there does it say "they moved to Alexandria only because it was safer".

? We're you trying to be negative? Sarcastic? This is a good get for us.
that's what Hoskins wrote in his twitter post when he committed. "this decision wasn't very hard but I would like to announce my commitment to the University of Minnesota".

After watching his highlights, I'm very, very excited about this kid.

He looks like a dynamic playmaker with fast-twitch elusiveness and game-breaking speed. I can see him as a real force — receiving, carrying the ball on reverses and jet sweeps, and especially in the return game. 4.4 speed in a high school kid!

To my (admittedly untrained) eye, he looks like a player who could step right in and contribute as a freshman.

Percy Harvin in maroon and gold!

After watching his highlights, I'm very, very excited about this kid.

He looks like a dynamic playmaker with fast-twitch elusiveness and game-breaking speed. I can see him as a real force — receiving, carrying the ball on reverses and jet sweeps, and especially in the return game. 4.4 speed in a high school kid!

To my (admittedly untrained) eye, he looks like a player who could step right in and contribute as a freshman.

Percy Harvin in maroon and gold!
Maybe we finally have found lightning in a bottle?

I think you're confused about what towns are included in "Twin Cities".😂
Hint: Minnie and Paul
I think most folks when they say Twin Cities think of the metro area.

I happen to be calling out for estimates on some house projects, almost all of them ask where I am and I'm in the burbs and they say "oh Twin Cities".

to Mpls Gopher --

Why someone would choose to live in a smaller community:
less expensive housing
less traffic
lower property taxes
good schools
and yes, less crime and violence than a larger city

And, Alex is a 2-hr drive away from the Twin Cities, so if you want to go to a sporting event, a concert, etc, you can do it.

I've lived in the Twin Cities. I would not move back there again. This has NOTHING to do with politics. I just hate traffic, and driving around looking for a place to park.

in closing - I will not tell you how to live your life. Please don't tell me - or anyone else on this board - how to live our lives.

Just ignore him and get back to the point. People like him want to turn everything into an unintelligent Facebook forum for grievance idiots.

This thread is about this kids commitment. He is going to be an exciting player for the U and his skill set is going to bring something I don't think the current WR group has.

Just ignore him and get back to the point. People like him want to turn everything into an unintelligent Facebook forum for grievance idiots.

This thread is about this kids commitment. He is going to be an exciting player for the U and his skill set is going to bring something I don't think the current WR group has.

Yeah, the bolded part of your post is exactly what I am seeing, too.

I know that highlight tape can be misleading, but the sheer athleticism is undeniable.

Top Bottom