9/1 Football Thread

Sure enough Northwestern scores on the next play. They are the scrappiest team in America. Every singly year.

NW almost ran another punt back for td. Syracuse special teams are killing them.

Syracuse is not going to be a walk through for us. They look pretty solid. We will have a tough time against them.

Wildcats only get 70 yards on this punt return. Unbelievable.

Syracuse is not going to be a walk through for us. They look pretty solid. We will have a tough time against them.

That sure looks to be the case. We have no where near the luck of Northwestern. But after the last 3 years, we shouldn't overlook anyone.

Northwestern probably has 80 yards of total offense and lead 21-13

That sure looks to be the case. We have no where near the luck of Northwestern. But after the last 3 years, we shouldn't overlook anyone.

NW has gotten some lucky breaks. but you also have to give them credit that they have turned them into points. We did not take advantage our breaks against UNLV. If not for NW's punt returns, Syracuse should be leading. Overall, both teams look better than MN did on Thurs. night. We need to clean up our act and fast.

Sparlimb, I don't think things are a case of "overlooking" anyone. The culture that has to change is that we QUIT doubting ourselves. This is one of Coach Kill's biggest challenges.

Anyone want to give an over/under on how many weeks we'll need to hear the stupid helmet rule explained? I'm hoping it is done by week 8...

Agree...it is a stupid rule. Cannot wait until an important player misses a crucial 3rd down play late in a game because his helmet popped off the play before. Just arbitrary and stupid.

Just from watching two quarters so far, I'd say I feel a lot more confident about our Western Michigan game and a lot more concerned about our Syracuse game. But obviously two quarters from the first game of the season shouldn't say too much.

WMU looks brutal on offense right now. Probably has something to do with losing guys to graduation who had 250+ combined receptions last year.

Geno Smith is 20/23 207 yds 3 TDs. WVU has 413 yards on offense in the first half. Dear Lord.

NW looks its solid scrappy self. It is amazing how they can plug in a new qb and not really miss a beat. That has to do with coaching consistency. Hopefully that is something we can attain here at Minn.

NW, Syracuse and WMU are all running no-huddle hurry-up offenses. Should be interesting to se how we combat that.

Sparlimb, I don't think things are a case of "overlooking" anyone. The culture that has to change is that we QUIT doubting ourselves. This is one of Coach Kill's biggest challenges.

I know many fans do, me being one, but do you think the team doubts itself? I agree that would be a big challenge if the culture of a team was that they didn't believe in themselves. Hopefully success will breed more success. I'm glad we have New Hampshire next because they are the easiest team left on our schedule, and therefore the best chance to build a winning feeling.

How about Buffalo within 8 of Georgia. Could you imagine how quickly they'd run Mark Richt out of town if he blows this one as the 6th ranked team? I doubt Buffalo can do it, but would be fun to see.

35-13 Northwestern. What a crazy score the way Syracuse has played.

I thought with the yards you guys said Penn St had, they were killing Ohio. But no, Ohio is on a drive to take the lead late in the 3rd...

Very well may be another in a long line of unhappy days in Happy Valley...

Agree...it is a stupid rule. Cannot wait until an important player misses a crucial 3rd down play late in a game because his helmet popped off the play before. Just arbitrary and stupid.

I understand why people think it's stupid but I also understand why they put the rule in place. It's amazed me in recent years how some of the players' helmets just fly off, even when they hardly get hit. I could have probably not have had a chin strap when I played and the helmet would have still never come off.

I understand why people think it's stupid but I also understand why they put the rule in place. It's amazed me in recent years how some of the players' helmets just fly off, even when they hardly get hit. I could have probably not have had a chin strap when I played and the helmet would have still never come off.

Is that because you were on the bench all the time and never hit anyone, or got hit by anyone??? :)

Announcers just claimed this would be the biggest win in Ohio University history, if they beat Penn St. What about the year they came into the dome and beat up Mase and company? Two tds on half back passes? I remember that one well, being there with my very young son...

I have never hung my head so low as the (84- very little) game with Nebraska at the Dumpty Dome. I shook my head so hard I concussed.

That game put new credence to the term "taken to the woodshed."

Syracuse misses on the 2 pointer, so 35-33 Northwestern with 6 minutes left...

It does put our close win on the road into perspective, doesn't it?

This is a really good Ohio team. And they were the better team the entire second half. I think Penn St. is in for a lot more games like this for a long time...

Ohio wins 24-14

It does put our close win on the road into perspective, doesn't it?

For sure. While I do not like B1G teams losing OOC game, it could not have happened to a more arrogant bunch then Penn State.

Final score: Ohio 24 Penn State 14.

Top Bottom