2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Last edited:

We are recruiting a practice player.....to one of the worst rosters in program history. Not to go full Iverson but WE'RE TALKING PRACTICE! Total ineptitude in my opinion.
Yes, many of your posts are😉

historical production and performance at Oregon State, Idaho and Washington State.

Fair enough, then I could say what do his numbers look like for 40 minutes?

Additionally, what expectations do you have for a realistic backup?

I’ll take a four ⭐️ rated prep recruit, who has lettered in two sports at P5 schools, who isn’t named Charlie or Treyton.

Last edited:

Fair enough, then I could say what do his numbers look like for 40 minutes?

Additionally, what expectations do you have for a realistic backup?

I’ll take a hour ⭐️ rated prep recruit, who has lettered in two sports at P5 schools, who isn’t named Charlie or Treyton.
and i don't expect a guy who has produced so little for several seasons to automagically get better. CBJ is not vince lombardi

thought Charlie Daniels was a reasonable type backup. couldn't play a lot of minutes due to fouling out at SFA, and CBJ and staff seemed to have fixed that

plenty of Centers still available. Heck, if you want a banger try jitoboh, Florida. that said, no idea what players are responding to CBJ reachouts

if you weren't happy with Daniels or TT, i think you're really going to be unhappy with Wilson

and i don't expect a guy who has produced so little for several seasons to automagically get better. CBJ is not vince lombardi

thought Charlie Daniels was a reasonable type backup. couldn't play a lot of minutes due to fouling out at SFA, and CBJ and staff seemed to have fixed that

plenty of Centers still available. Heck, if you want a banger try jitoboh, Florida. that said, no idea what players are responding to CBJ reachouts

if you weren't happy with Daniels or TT, i think you're really going to be unhappy with Wilson
Agree to disagree and I appreciate your perspective😀

Daniels and TT were recruited to play major roles. This guy is not. It is about fit here.

Daniels and TT were recruited to play major roles. This guy is not. It is about fit here.
better fit would be wilson at left tackle

not buying CBJ would backup one good center with 2 guys who haven't played in 2 years and one guy that basically never played

Have you ever spoken to him about basketball? Have you ever viewed an open practice?
If it makes you feel any better, I think you could match two last place B1G finishes as well, don’t get down on yourself too much.

His listed weight at Idaho a couple years ago is about 90 pounds less than what it is now… he must of hit the protein shakes at WSI.

His listed weight at Idaho a couple years ago is about 90 pounds less than what it is now… he must of hit the protein shakes at WSI.
He played football at Washington so he had to bulk up. He played for the basketball team after the football season because they were short guys.

Last edited:

No matter what your opinion is of this guy, the thing that comes out for me is what a completer mystery he is. A 4 star in high school must have some skills, right? But then he goes to these schools and gets almost no playing time, he's playing football, his weight is all over the place, he's switching schools. And if he can't get playing time at Idaho, is he worth a scholarship? I just hope to hell someone with the Gophers has seen him play in person and knows his game if they're going to offer him.

No matter what your opinion is of this guy, the thing that comes out for me is what a completer mystery he is. A 4 star in high school must have some skills, right? But then he goes to these schools and gets almost no playing time, he's playing football, his weight is all over the place, he's switching schools. And if he can't get playing time at Idaho, is he worth a scholarship? I just hope to hell someone with the Gophers has seen him play in person and knows his game if they're going to offer him.

Obviously, the coach recruited him with the intention that he wouldn't play much. In an interview, the coach said that he was going to look for a big man if for no other reason than practice purposes. It's not easy to get a one-year transfer center under those assumptions. He's certainly not who I would have wanted but if he's just going to be a spot player under certain circumstances, he'll probably be good enough. At least he's very big, strong, and probably hard to push around.

I suspect that more than one person will sub for Payne when he's out.

I'm fine with the Big from WSU. Doesn't move the needle really, but it's understandable.

MUST get 2 more capable guards.
I'm okay with it because he's a true 5 and might make some sense for some matchups, that said this type of recruit falls into that category of recruits where I'd have rather just taken a shot at some under recruited guard (Dodd, Tibbits, etc.).

that said this type of recruit falls into that category of recruits where I'd have rather just taken a shot at some under recruited guard (Dodd, Tibbits, etc.).

Why would this recruit preclude the kind of recruit you are talking about? Some of you get way too hung up on the order of things. If I go to a grocery store to pick up ingredients for a roast and I select carrots and peppers first, that doesn't mean I care more about carrots and peppers than I do the meat.

If Johnson gets 4 transfer scholarship commits, there are still two remaining if this guy commits next.

Care to elaborate?

At the end of the day, it's about the product on the court. That's it. It's easy.

You don't have to go to a practice to know if someone can coach.
I will say that I think that observing practices, and particularly, pre-game shootarounds, can give one an opportunity to observe some of the "whys and why nots" a coach and the team handle situations or run into trouble during games. There's an old saying that "You play like you practice". I think there's probably a similar connection for coaches and how they coach during the week and how they coach during a game. It's obviously not a 100% thing, but you can sometimes see things in a practice situation and see how that might be an edge or a problem during a game situation.

It's warmer in Minnesota tomorrow than it is in Florida:)
I left Tampa (after the shitty Gophers loss) to drive up the coast. In Tampa at 10 am it was 56. In GA it was 60. South Carolina=63. NC border=64. MD at midnight=42. Played 18 in Tampa on Friday. Walked off the 18th green at noon in the low 90's.

Why would this recruit preclude the kind of recruit you are talking about? Some of you get way too hung up on the order of things. If I go to a grocery store to pick up ingredients for a roast and I select carrots and peppers first, that doesn't mean I care more about carrots and peppers than I do the meat.

If Johnson gets 4 transfer scholarship commits, there are still two remaining if this guy commits next.
I didn't mean to imply it means Johnson cares more about Wilson than he does an underrecruited HS player. I just was saying that, so far, during Johnson's tenure he has been more apt to bring in guys like Ogele, Samuels, Daniels or giving scholarship to walkons (Ramberg) than he has of taking a swing at an underrecruited HS player.

But you're right, there will likely be room for both. My point was that if there isn't, I'd rather go the underrecruited HS player.

I didn't mean to imply it means Johnson cares more about Wilson than he does an underrecruited HS player. I just was saying that, so far, during Johnson's tenure he has been more apt to bring in guys like Ogele, Samuels, Daniels or giving scholarship to walkons (Ramberg) than he has of taking a swing at an underrecruited HS player.

But you're right, there will likely be room for both. My point was that if there isn't, I'd rather go the underrecruited HS player.

I don't believe that freshmen should be recruited for immediate needs at this time of year unless they are freshmen who de-committed from another program. Personally, I think Ramberg deserves the 13th scholarship based on his play this past season. If the team has an issue in the upcoming season because of Ramberg holding the 13th scholarship, then the team has bigger problems than Ramberg.

Ogele was a horrible recruit. No one disputes that. That failure was due to Johnson waiting too long to grab a one-year scholarship big man (even then he should have done better than Ogele). Samuels was a reasonable choice for Johnson's intentions. The failure was not getting another, better guard and accelerating Betts' admission instead.

Question: How long are some of you going to repeat the "Ogele, Samuels, and Daniels" mantra? Did you repeat "Bakery, Gaston, and Hurt" for four years? At least Ogele, Samuels, and Daniels were only one year mistakes.

I don't believe that freshmen should be recruited for immediate needs at this time of year unless they are freshmen who de-committed from another program. Personally, I think Ramberg deserves the 13th scholarship based on his play this past season. If the team has an issue in the upcoming season because of Ramberg holding the 13th scholarship, then the team has bigger problems than Ramberg.

Ogele was a horrible recruit. No one disputes that. That failure was due to Johnson waiting too long to grab a one-year scholarship big man (even then he should have done better than Ogele). Samuels was a reasonable choice for Johnson's intentions. The failure was not getting another, better guard and accelerating Betts' admission instead.

Question: How long are some of you going to repeat the "Ogele, Samuels, and Daniels" mantra? Did you repeat "Bakery, Gaston, and Hurt" for four years? At least Ogele, Samuels, and Daniels were only one year mistakes.
I never argued to recruit freshman for immediate needs. I argued that I'd rather take a shot at an under recruited HS player than throw scholarships away on people because "they'll only be here 1 season" or "if Ramberg being on your 13th scholarship. . . blah blah blah". That's essentially surrendering and saying that you can't fill up your scholarships.

As far as Gaston and Hurt, yeah, people roasted them all the time on Gopherhole. All the time. That said, Konate and Hurt, while bad recruits, were significantly more productive than Ogele, Daniels or Samuels.

I'll repeat it until it stops happening every single season.

My entire point is how absurd your last sentence is. What does it matter if Ogele is a 1 year recruit if he is replaced by another person who can't help us? Or replaced by another season of just giving the scholarship to our favorite walk on?

I never argued to recruit freshman for immediate needs. I argued that I'd rather take a shot at an under recruited HS player than throw scholarships away on people because "they'll only be here 1 season" or "if Ramberg being on your 13th scholarship. . . blah blah blah". That's essentially surrendering and saying that you can't fill up your scholarships.

As far as Gaston and Hurt, yeah, people roasted them all the time on Gopherhole. All the time. That said, Konate and Hurt, while bad recruits, were significantly more productive than Ogele, Daniels or Samuels.

I'll repeat it until it stops happening every single season.

My entire point is how absurd your last sentence is. What does it matter if Ogele is a 1 year recruit if he is replaced by another person who can't help us? Or replaced by another season of just giving the scholarship to our favorite walk on?

Well, it didn't take you too long to get nasty. Never does.

Let's just cut this one off. Remember, we don't have to agree. This isn't some litigation that has to come to a resolution.

Well, it didn't take you too long to get nasty. Never does.

Let's just cut this one off. Remember, we don't have to agree. This isn't some litigation that has to come to a resolution.
Where did I get nasty?

I did notice you replied with an insult to me and decided to shoe-horn in my profession. But where did I get nasty to you?

I think that is the key, is he willing to get in basketball shape and lose 30 to 40 pounds. He has to be able to run the floor.

He's never going to be a big minutes guy. He will help against the teams that have a true big in the middle. Otherwise you've got Garcia, hopefully Fox, and Ola Joseph to fill in for Payne.

Big Ten transfer recruiting so far.

Michigan leads the way with 3 commits

I don't think any other conference team has more than one.

Per my inspection, Iowa, Rutgers, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Michigan State have no commits. Surprising that Nebraska is in the "0" category so far as Hoiberg is known for transfer recruiting. I suspect he will land at least one or two before he's done.

Commitments have really picked up in the portal over the last few days. It appears there have been more commitments than new entries over that time period.

I did notice you replied with an insult to me and decided to shoe-horn in my profession. But where did I get nasty to you?

I didn't insult your profession. I have nothing against lawyers. I worked with quite a few of them over the years (although most of them weren't litigators) and mostly liked them. The point was that message board disagreements don't have to be fought to a resolution.

Top Bottom