2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

the setup in said analogy was bad…. But who really cares, it was a fine rheotorical device, because you pivoted (or perhaps i picked it up better). I prefer the substanative change. Instead of bickering about rhetoric, we both looking at the how is more meaty anyhow.

Ultimate Point from my view is a generic focus on numerical win numbers is a poor barometer for judging coaching ability, in a noisy environment. However, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t see progressions. Some linear, some not so much. Hopefully, we see bigger ones this year.

Getting specific to the situation:

What I saw at end of Pitino era was a team whereby every man was an Island. That created toxicity. He (Ben) challenged the team in a zoom call on first day (reference is a strib article) to show back up, put the team first. Its a step that we needed (imho), but resulted in significant pain for us. They all left save for Isiaih. Robbins had a tweet with super excitement for the challenge, until he found out that that meant he needed to put team first too (no, your team before your uncle)…. Yah can’t build long term with players running the show.

Then again we see Jaden Henley (beginning of year, I didn’t see a player). He is a great example of a coaching turnaround. End of year, I was excited about his future. Yet, if you believe speculation on his needing Minutes promised, “bye bye!” Absolutely right descision for ultimate realization of a winning squad. Bring on Mike Mitchell, whom is quoted as believing he has what it takes to earn a starting job - not a promised starting job (from interview with Doogie).

Signs of abilty to coach, I think so. Also to build.

Certainly this isn’t a vacuum. I appreciate the GM criticisms (ie roster construction), but I also think there is more method to the madness than is realized.
I can’t verify your details and don’t know if your process theory applies in a semi-corrupt pay for play modern environment, but I can confirm that very early on Ben himself told someone I know directly that there were locker room issues and that departure of a number of good players was “mutual.” That resulted in more players abandoning the program than most of us were comfortable with. I don’t think it explains the disastrous on court results we saw this year or that few of us see real advancements coming soon, but it does confirm your premise that the culture was poor if not poisoned when Ben got here.

No more. The culture of not the system by design, is much more permissive in jettisoning out players if they don’t cut it. We don’t have to like it but it’s true.
First off according to CBJ we NEED players for practice.. so why would a 4 yr commitment to such an individual be a problem..
Secondly it's 2023 running off players is no longer frowned upon... And it's actually encouraged...

I suppose that the transfer rules do allow coaches to get rid of players more easily. Disagree that you give a player a scholarship simply for practicing.

Disagree that you give a player a scholarship simply for practicing.
injuries, illnesses, suspensions, players leaving the program, personal leave, and medical issues (i.e., jarvis johnson). before you know it your 13 is down to 8 and everyone needs to play. even tt had to play 40 minutes one game

I suppose that the transfer rules do allow coaches to get rid of players more easily. Disagree that you give a player a scholarship simply for practicing.
There have been practice players for generations. Some of them compete for future playing time and others know their lot is to push the guys who see the floor as hard as they can and are satisfied being part of the team. Moser egos may make this less likely but they are still around.

I can’t verify your details and don’t know if your process theory applies in a semi-corrupt pay for play modern environment, but I can confirm that very early on Ben himself told someone I know directly that there were locker room issues and that departure of a number of good players was “mutual.” That resulted in more players abandoning the program than most of us were comfortable with. I don’t think it explains the disastrous on court results we saw this year or that few of us see real advancements coming soon, but it does confirm your premise that the culture was poor if not poisoned when Ben got here.
Pitino never struck me as a “process” person, similar to Brew.

PJ has a process and it works - we’ll know big Bens process bears fruit by the end of the coming season.

Pitino never struck me as a “process” person, similar to Brew.

PJ has a process and it works - we’ll know big Bens process bears fruit by the end of the coming season.
I’m struggling to see what the process is, and seeing two of the better players abandon it doesn’t inspire confidence. I agree that if there is something there we’ll see it by the end of next season. I’d like to see it earlier.

I’m struggling to see what the process is, and seeing two of the better players abandon it doesn’t inspire confidence. I agree that if there is something there we’ll see it by the end of next season. I’d like to see it earlier.
Which 2 are you referring to?

He would if we were showing interest. I view this as a good sign that they are narrowing in on someone.
Hopefully we are progressing with a player. Florida just got Clayton from Iona. They were competion for Tylor Perry and Claudell Harris. Also Lartrell Wrightsell Jr’s suitors narrowed recently by 2.

Last edited:

Hopefully we are progressing with a player. Florida just got Clayton from Iona. They were competion for Tylor Perry and Claudell Harris. Also Lartrell Wrightsell Jr’s suitors narrowed recently by 2.
Visiting Nebraska on Friday and Minnesota & Alabama next week.

I'm trying really hard to believe that he wasn't a priority.....and yes, we cooled on him. I'm trying so hard, because if we are losing out to UAB for recruits, we're doomed.
Over/Under on scholarships given to Ramburg/Purcell/Reader is 1.5. I'd take the over. I might take it on 2.5.

Over/Under on scholarships given to Ramburg/Purcell/Reader is 1.5. I'd take the over. I might take it on 2.5.
I think you should add to that "player X who despite being 100% healthy played under 3 minutes per game last year" if you added that to those 3 I'd definitely take over 2.5

Maybe it will be Wrightsell?

I think Wrightsell is my number #1 choice but I'd be just as happy with Claudell Harris as the #1 remaining recruit. I would have liked Daniel Ortiz as the #2 remaining recruit but I guess that won't happen. Even if Johnson gets Wrightsell or Harris, he should get another scholarship guard. Doesn't have to be someone that great.

Top Bottom