2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I didn't insult your profession. I have nothing against lawyers. I worked with quite a few of them over the years (although most of them weren't litigators) and mostly liked them. The point was that message board disagreements don't have to be fought to a resolution.
I don't care that you insulted me and I'm certainly not defensive about people sh!tting on lawyers, most of it is due. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in saying that I got "nasty" when you then insulted me and then shoe-horned in my job into the conversation.

So where did I get nasty with you?

Are we going to sign somebody who will make a difference?

Tyler Perry? Has he visited anywhere else yet?

Who else are we in on other than this big no one seems to want?

I did see a big recruit we have some interest in who’s comparable player forecast was,….wait for it……BAKARY KONATE!

This is a confidence building moment for Ben!

Iowa and Iowa St just hit big in the portal. Hoping we can lock up that 1 min per game C here really soon! 😏

Care to elaborate?

At the end of the day, it's about the product on the court. That's it. It's easy.

You don't have to go to a practice to know if someone can coach.
Well, since you pivoted, so will I.

The way to build a successful program in teams sports is clearly process focused. There really is no question. That’s it. And no, It’s not easy.

Results based goals at the start will lead one astray. Build the processes well, results will then flow. One definitely needs to watch for periodicity traps, in both directions. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

If you focus more on human learning to build expectation, you'll get better faster. think more about being curios than being judgemental.

None of this is should be mistaken for endorsing losing, nor building excuses.

Well, it didn't take you too long to get nasty. Never does.

Let's just cut this one off. Remember, we don't have to agree. This isn't some litigation that has to come to a resolution.
Hard to imagine any litigation coming to a resolution with big mouth involved.

I think that is the key, is he willing to get in basketball shape and lose 30 to 40 pounds. He has to be able to run the floor.

He's never going to be a big minutes guy. He will help against the teams that have a true big in the middle. Otherwise you've got Garcia, hopefully Fox, and Ola Joseph to fill in for Payne.
Garcia and Ola Joseph can not fill in for Payne.

Iowa and Iowa St just hit big in the portal. Hoping we can lock up that 1 min per game C here really soon! 😏

Iowa State got a very coveted player. Iowa appears to have gotten a good one too but they'll need more than him to replace what they are losing. Illinois also got a good one and they now have two transfer commits.

The way to build a successful program in teams sports is clearly process focused. There really is no question. That’s it. And no, It’s not easy.

Results based goals at the start will lead one astray. Build the processes well, results will then flow. One definitely needs to watch for periodicity traps, in both directions. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

If you focus more on human learning to build expectation, you'll get better faster. think more about being curios than being judgemental.

How did I pivot?

If the end product (meal vs. wins) is terrible, nothing else matters.

Are we going to sign somebody who will make a difference?

Tyler Perry? Has he visited anywhere else yet?

Who else are we in on other than this big no one seems to want?

I did see a big recruit we have some interest in who’s comparable player forecast was,….wait for it……BAKARY KONATE!

This is a confidence building moment for Ben!
So if you don't know about it that means Ben's not talking with anyone?

Sustained

I didn't mean to imply it means Johnson cares more about Wilson than he does an underrecruited HS player. I just was saying that, so far, during Johnson's tenure he has been more apt to bring in guys like Ogele, Samuels, Daniels or giving scholarship to walkons (Ramberg) than he has of taking a swing at an underrecruited HS player.

But you're right, there will likely be room for both. My point was that if there isn't, I'd rather go the underrecruited HS player.

The problem with doing this is that if those players don't pan out....you may end up with a four year scholarship eater.

The problem with doing this is that if those players don't pan out....you may end up with a four year scholarship eater.
No more. The culture of not the system by design, is much more permissive in jettisoning out players if they don’t cut it. We don’t have to like it but it’s true.

First off according to CBJ we NEED players for practice.. so why would a 4 yr commitment to such an individual be a problem..
Secondly it's 2023 running off players is no longer frowned upon... And it's actually encouraged...

First off according to CBJ we NEED players for practice..

That's not what I heard him say. He said that he wanted to pick up another big if for nothing else than practice. "Bigs" are a little different from other players. Hard to find 6'10" walk-ons.

At least you could try to be honest and not twist words to fit your agenda.

As sad as it is, there are posters that think this way. If they haven't heard about it then it must not be happening. I don't know how people can believe that but there definitely are some that think like that.
If these guys were offered $1m to predict correctly just one of Fleck's transfer acquisitions it would be fun to watch the frustration of never having a clue what would happen.

If these guys were offered $1m to predict correctly just one of Fleck's transfer acquisitions it would be fun to watch the frustration of never having a clue what would happen.
We live at a great time to be a fan where we have so much access to information. But we don't have anything close to all the information and there is so much going on that we as fans will never hear anything about.

Yet that doesn't stop some from believing that the information that is public is all the information so it if it isn't public it isn't happening.

How did I pivot?

If the end product (meal vs. wins) is terrible, nothing else matters.
the setup in said analogy was bad…. But who really cares, it was a fine rheotorical device, because you pivoted (or perhaps i picked it up better). I prefer the substanative change. Instead of bickering about rhetoric, we both looking at the how is more meaty anyhow.

Ultimate Point from my view is a generic focus on numerical win numbers is a poor barometer for judging coaching ability, in a noisy environment. However, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t see progressions. Some linear, some not so much. Hopefully, we see bigger ones this year.

Getting specific to the situation:

What I saw at end of Pitino era was a team whereby every man was an Island. That created toxicity. He (Ben) challenged the team in a zoom call on first day (reference is a strib article) to show back up, put the team first. Its a step that we needed (imho), but resulted in significant pain for us. They all left save for Isiaih. Robbins had a tweet with super excitement for the challenge, until he found out that that meant he needed to put team first too (no, your team before your uncle)…. Yah can’t build long term with players running the show.

Then again we see Jaden Henley (beginning of year, I didn’t see a player). He is a great example of a coaching turnaround. End of year, I was excited about his future. Yet, if you believe speculation on his needing Minutes promised, “bye bye!” Absolutely right descision for ultimate realization of a winning squad. Bring on Mike Mitchell, whom is quoted as believing he has what it takes to earn a starting job - not a promised starting job (from interview with Doogie).

Signs of abilty to coach, I think so. Also to build.

Certainly this isn’t a vacuum. I appreciate the GM criticisms (ie roster construction), but I also think there is more method to the madness than is realized.

Iowa State with 2 nice additions. Good for them. Lets do it too.

the setup in said analogy was bad…. But who really cares, it was a fine rheotorical device, because you pivoted (or perhaps i picked it up better). I prefer the substanative change. Instead of bickering about rhetoric, we both looking at the how is more meaty anyhow.

Ultimate Point from my view is a generic focus on numerical win numbers is a poor barometer for judging coaching ability, in a noisy environment. However, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t see progressions. Some linear, some not so much. Hopefully, we see bigger ones this year.

Getting specific to the situation:

What I saw at end of Pitino era was a team whereby every man was an Island. That created toxicity. He (Ben) challenged the team in a zoom call on first day (reference is a strib article) to show back up, put the team first. Its a step that we needed (imho), but resulted in significant pain for us. They all left save for Isiaih. Robbins had a tweet with super excitement for the challenge, until he found out that that meant he needed to put team first too (no, your team before your uncle)…. Yah can’t build long term with players running the show.

Then again we see Jaden Henley (beginning of year, I didn’t see a player). He is a great example of a coaching turnaround. End of year, I was excited about his future. Yet, if you believe speculation on his needing Minutes promised, “bye bye!” Absolutely right descision for ultimate realization of a winning squad. Bring on Mike Mitchell, whom is quoted as believing he has what it takes to earn a starting job - not a promised starting job (from interview with Doogie).

Signs of abilty to coach, I think so. Also to build.

Certainly this isn’t a vacuum. I appreciate the GM criticisms (ie roster construction), but I also think there is more method to the madness than is realized.
So your assertion here is the only players we should take are "team first" and wins don't actually matter so long as from your perspective we improved.

Listen, I have bad news for you. It's 2023, you might not like it but NIL, clicks, and followers matter to like 98% of kids. Doesn't mean they are bad kids at all. It's just a fact.

And as far as wins, sorry that's what counts. There isn't a spot in the record book to note *coach X and team Y had awful records but boys did they do it right and improve over the year! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

So your assertion here is the only players we should take are "team first" and wins don't actually matter so long as from your perspective we improved.

Listen, I have bad news for you. It's 2023, you might not like it but NIL, clicks, and followers matter to like 98% of kids. Doesn't mean they are bad kids at all. It's just a fact.

And as far as wins, sorry that's what counts. There isn't a spot in the record book to note *coach X and team Y had awful records but boys did they do it right and improve over the year! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME
No, not my assertion.

Process goals vs results goals will lead to far more long term wins. And that will be true in 2024, 2039, 20XX.

Take your nose out of the phone and get a library card. Daniel Kahneman or Steven Pinker will teach you far more than everything you’ll click this year.

Get more curios kid, there’s time for you.

Trust the process 😉

Top Bottom