2023 ANNUAL GOPHERHOLE PICTORIAL COUNTDOWN!!

Martes Lewis

11244221.jpg

Jeff Wills

Wills_Jeff_071_medium.JPG

I'll re-ask my question about why Nagurski, Smith, and Giel numbers are actually retired from issuance, and Sandy Stephens and Bobby Bell are retired but still issued. Anyone know?
I believe they now draw a distinction between retired "numbers" and retired "jerseys". Because rosters are so big they don't want to take any more numbers out of circulation, which they did for 10, 54, and 72. Bell and Stevens were honored later, after they had begun to worry more about the numbers thing, so they termed it a "retired jersey" and kept the number in use.

24084_1125556289_27483.jpeg

Since we missed 65 on Tuesday, I would like to bring attention to another #65 we've missed, Neil Fredenburg.

Neil Fredenburg was a Gopher center from 1990-1993. Sadly, Neil died in 1998, age 28, of surgical complications.

The Neil Fredenburg Award is still presented annually to a Gopher football player who today is described as "The definition of a leader and the Row the Boat culture"

There are no images of Neil in his 65 jersey online, but please take a moment for a Gopher gone too soon.

Thanks to those for picking up the slack while I was gone for work this week. Here's a few more for 65

Greg Johnson

cxVwBR0R_400x400.jpg

Axel Ruschmeyer

JEA-10257-GOPHERS-VS-PENN-STATE.jpeg

Josh Campion

8042633.jpeg

Top Bottom