2023-2024 Gophers Basketball Schedule Thread

Per Jeff Goodman Twitter, Arkansas-Pine Bluff will be the fourth team in the Gophers’ early-season MTE. UAPB finished #333 in last season’s final NET rankings.

It's not yet confirmed if Gophers will play UAPB.

Last edited:

Updated with neutral site game vs. San Francsico reported by Marcus Fuller.

Gophers non-conference opponents with last year's final NET ranking:

Nov. 14-21: Ball State (156)
Nov. 14-21: USC-Upstate (253)
Nov. 14-21: Arkansas-Line Bluff (333)
Nov. 26: vs. San Francisco (114)
Dec. 29: Maine (273)

Average NET Rank of 2023-24 Non-Conference Opponents (so far): 243.25

Average NET Rank of 2022-23 Non-Conference Opponents: 218.4

Last edited:

Updated with Arkansas-Pine Bluff. I’m not 100% certain if Gophers will play UAPB, possible they may only play 2 of the 3.

Presumed Gophers non-conference opponents with last year's final NET ranking:

Ball State (156)
USC-Upstate (253)
Maine (273)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (333)

Average NET Rank (so far): 253.75

Average NET of 2022-23 Non-Conference Opponents: 218.4
It is the mindset that is the most troubling. 1. You can't get better with this competition. 2. It is transparent you have no confidence to challenge yourself or your team. 3. You think fans will be impressed IF you win these games and have a gaudy non conference record. Thinking they'll forget who you played? 4. No respect for the fans watching these opponents. 5. Coach is responsible for the non conference schedule but as AD I sign off on and endorse this? Can't help but be a reason for the coach to get fired eventually.

Gophers not settling for being the worst at free throw shooting.

They are now going for the worst non-conference schedule in division 1 basketball!
Not just for 2023. Let's go for the all-time record! Georgetown used to have some doozies, but they're morally obligated to at least play Syracuse these days.

Projecting ahead, this is how I think these teams will fare in terms of Quad ranking:

Ball State - Q4
USC-Upstate - Q4
Arkansas-Line Bluff - Q4
vs. San Francisco - Q3
Maine - Q4

Ball State might be able to play their way into Q3, but they'll be right on the fringe of it IMO. I also think that will be a tough game.

One guess I would make is the Gophers pulling out of the Vegas tournament means we’ll be in the Gavitt Games. A road game at Butler, DePaul, Georgetown, or Seton Hall seems likely.
I was wrong again! This non-conference schedule could be historic(ally soft), and we’ve had some really soft ones over the years, including last season. Nowhere to go but up from what we know so far!

I was wrong again! This non-conference schedule could be historic(ally soft), and we’ve had some really soft ones over the years, including last season. Nowhere to go but up from what we know so far!

It's getting late early to schedule a home and home with a P6 team at this point. The Miss St home and home was agreed to at the end of May, which is where we sit now. My guess is the schedule is filled with a bunch of 250+ quality teams, and the Barn is 1/3 filled for them.

Can't lie, I am disappointed with the strength of this schedule. One of the few pros is developing team chemistry and good habits, which may or may not be the weaker scheduling's purposes. At least we got the ACC/ Big Ten Challenge though 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Can't lie, I am disappointed with the strength of this schedule. One of the few pros is developing team chemistry and good habits, which may or may not be the weaker scheduling's purposes. At least we got the ACC/ Big Ten Challenge though 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I’m assuming you know that no longer exists right. Last year it ended when ESPN lost the Big Ten television rights.

I’m assuming you know that no longer exists right. Last year it ended when ESPN lost the Big Ten television rights.
Oh shit, I completely forgot about that. My bad. Yeah it looks like USF is going to be our hardest non conference opponent 😬😬😬

Wasn't sure where to put this. ... Saint Mary's is the team replacing the Gophers in the Continental Tire Main Event. The Gaels bailed out of the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii over Christmas.

Wasn't sure where to put this. ... Saint Mary's is the team replacing the Gophers in the Continental Tire Main Event. The Gaels bailed out of the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii over Christmas.

Man, this sucks that we backed out of this. Living in seattle now, was thinking about flying down to watch gophers Vs UW, just sucks to have so little confidence and excitement around the program. Gonna be a sweet event.

Updated with addition of New Orleans, per Rocco Miller. Four non-conference games still TBD.

Please note, there's some question whether Gophers are playing Arkansas-Pine Bluff as part of their multi-team event (MTE).

Gophers non-conference opponents with last year's final NET ranking:

Nov. 6: Bethune-Cookman (349)
Nov. 14-21: Ball State (156)
Nov. 14-21: USC-Upstate (253)
Nov. 14-21: Arkansas-Line Bluff (333)
Nov. 26: vs. San Francisco (114)
Nov. 30: New Orleans (342)
Dec. 29: Maine (273)

Average NET Rank of 2023-24 Non-Conference Opponents (7 of 11 games): 260

Average NET Rank of 2022-23 Non-Conference Opponents: 218.4

Last edited:

Updated schedule and their KenPom rank last year

Ball State - 171
USC-Upstate - 254
Arkansas-Pline Bluff - 322
vs. San Francisco - 101
Maine - 277
Bethune Cookman - 349
New Orleans - 332

Avg rank: 258.

Getting more pathetic as we go.
I’m holding out for Maryland Eastern Shore!

It would have been fascinating if there was a Maryland Western Shore!!

Too bad the Blue Bloods are avoiding us. Imagine what losing to us would mean. Luckily Purdue and MSU are conference opponents and can’t avoid us.

We really should schedule St Thomas. It would be the premier home game on the non conference schedule.

Updated schedule and their KenPom rank last year

Ball State - 171
USC-Upstate - 254
Arkansas-Pline Bluff - 322
vs. San Francisco - 101
Maine - 277
Bethune Cookman - 349
New Orleans - 332

Avg rank: 258.

Getting more pathetic as we go.
Get pumped and open your wallet season ticket holders... Both of you..

Top Bottom