2023-2024 College Basketball Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

I wonder who Kentucky targets now.

Oats or Ferry.
Got to be a lot more to this story. Yeah Arkansas got him about the same money but Kentucky is the center of the basketball world. Or close to it. I’m surprised.

Got to be a lot more to this story. Yeah Arkansas got him about the same money but Kentucky is the center of the basketball world. Or close to it. I’m surprised.
Yeah, I think it's a Tubby thing. It was about 50/50 he was coming back this year and Cal just locked up big money and job security.

I've been told here college basketball is about talent and not coaching... funny how having all the talent in the world didn't work out for Cal in the end.

Includes in those 16 are bums: SGA, Bam and Jamal Murray.

Cal is a HOF recruiter and a decent coach; he took three different teams to the FF (UMASS, Memphis and the Cats), but only one Natty. Although, Memphis was vacated for cheating and the rumors around UMASS hijinks were legendary.

Last edited:

I've been told here college basketball is about talent and not coaching... funny how having all the talent in the world didn't work out for Cal in the end.
I am not sure how good of a coach Cal is but getting even the most talented players to work together as one and done guys has to be a major challenge. Put those guys up against slightly less talented guys that have played together for a few years and it is going to be a battle - as Kentucky has found. Doing the Michigan Fab 5 thing is a tough thing.

I am not sure how good of a coach Cal is but getting even the most talented players to work together as one and done guys has to be a major challenge. Put those guys up against slightly less talented guys that have played together for a few years and it is going to be a battle - as Kentucky has found. Doing the Michigan Fab 5 thing is a tough thing.
Exactly, no matter who your guys are, you still need a coach who can bring them together and execute at a more consistent level than the opponent.

Others will turn it down before him, but I'll take a flyer on Bruce Pearl ending up in Lexington.

Others will turn it down before him, but I'll take a flyer on Bruce Pearl ending up in Lexington.
I agree, that's a possibility. KY didn't blush with Cal's antics. Sure they can wipe Pearl's slime off as well.

Top Bottom