2023-2024 College Basketball Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

That's a good point (bolded). However, I think the scrutiny is a lot higher in the P5 level, and probably also the time spent with public appearances and the media. Your extra time is just less.

As to why hire him, it's certainly unorthodox, but again, this is UWGB and the Horizon League. Why not try something weird? The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out and you go get someone else in a couple years.
You know....like the Gophers.

You know....like the Gophers.
You and I and the entire board know that there's a lot more at stake here than at UWGB.

Then again, taking a big, unorthodox swing might not be the worst idea at MN either. Dawn Staley is a pretty good coach....

Given your username, can I assume that you are a WYO guy in some way? I don't follow them anymore, but still have family in Laramie.

I think the portal is really tricky for conferences like the MWC - a couple of schools have had some success (notably the Aztecs), but the best players and coaches tend to move to greener pastures at the first opportunity. My sense is that Wyoming was ravaged by the portal, with Ike going to Gonzaga. Tough gig for any coach. I think Wicks knows this and is obviously familiar with the program. He had a good year at UWGB. Others will come calling if he turns the Pokes around. Maybe MN.
You are correct. Love that place.

Linder is a complete ass and ran off most anyone not named Maldonado. I hope Wicks is the guy.

Interestingly enough, maybe moonlighting is the future of coaching, since you’re most valuable recruiting is done in 30-45 days after the season ends. No need to be burning the midnight oil developing relationships with freshmen in high school. Take on a second job in radio where you can do it with a cell phone and a decent connection no matter where you are. 🤔
Most radio types will tell you that for every hour you're on the air, you should plan on an hour of show prep. That may or may not include your daily production meeting if you have a significant staff that works with you on that show. If you have a staffer chasing down information, you still need to compile it and plan for the way you want to present it. So a 3-hour show= 6 hours of your day.
That isn't to say that all radio show hosts actually adhere to that.

Most radio types will tell you that for every hour you're on the air, you should plan on an hour of show prep. That may or may not include your daily production meeting if you have a significant staff that works with you on that show. If you have a staffer chasing down information, you still need to compile it and plan for the way you want to present it. So a 3-hour show= 6 hours of your day.
That isn't to say that all radio show hosts actually adhere to that.
My guess is a lot of the established hosts are pretty much mailing it in and having their teams do most of the work. I have a one hour per month program where I am the "guest," with a pre-prepared topic, and I spend one to two hours in prep, depending on my knowledge of the subject matter.

You may be right on UWGB, but the one and only reason Sundance left is because WYO's fool coach took the chickenshit route and left for an assistant job elsewhere. He created a complete shitshow, recognized what he'd done, and checked out through the window. Here's hoping SW can do something with a once pretty good program.
You must know more of the back story, but Linder did well at N. Colorado before taking the Wyo job, and was off to a good start until Ike got hurt and ultimately transferred. McCasland is doing a nice job at Texas Tech. Adding Linder to his staff is a win for McCasland. Maybe re Linder just another sign of the frustration with where things are with NIL and college hoops overall, as opposed to checking out. Not refuting your take, just stating he didn't just suck from the start and had Wyo off to a decent start. Must have felt he couldn't make it work. To me, it's not a bad outcome for Wyo.

You must know more of the back story, but Linder did well at N. Colorado before taking the Wyo job, and was off to a good start until Ike got hurt and ultimately transferred. McCasland is doing a nice job at Texas Tech. Adding Linder to his staff is a win for McCasland. Maybe re Linder just another sign of the frustration with where things are with NIL and college hoops overall, as opposed to checking out. Not refuting your take, just stating he didn't just suck from the start and had Wyo off to a decent start. Must have felt he couldn't make it work. To me, it's not a bad outcome for Wyo.
You’re correct. Not bad at all.

Top Bottom