2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I don't know how any of this works, but if I was the Miami guy I'd make the money based on public appearances during the basketball season in Miami. Sure, go to Duke if you want to, but you'll either need to fly back to Miami a dozen times a season or give up the money. Not sure if that's possible.
Yeah, was thinking about it more and I bet that’s exactly what they do. If you can’t lock them to the school, at least lock them to the city.

This to me is starting to say desperation. Nothing elite, just a "hey we have a spot and you played before, its your spot!"
That’s because we are desperate. We are a Cooper injury away from being in a bad spot. If Cooper went down, would you rather have the current roster as it is or the roster with Samuels?

That’s because we are desperate. We are a Cooper injury away from being in a bad spot. If Cooper went down, would you rather have the current roster as it is or the roster with Samuels?

You're absolutely right, of course. Despite his underwhelming statistics, we do really need someone like Samuels and I believe he will help here. I think the "meh" reaction has more to do with many hoping for an imminent announcement of a quality starting off guard transfer recruit.

Last edited:

Listen, I know you have confused sarcasm for wit, like many of the local sports broadcasters, but do you have anything else?

No, he doesn't have anything else; no second act. You would think that someone who is so utterly pointless and predictable would have bored even himself by now.

When you have 6 open- yes. Top 100 portal players is not exactly the same as like a top 100 recruit either. If there are 1000+ portal players how many can compete in the Big Ten. If that number is 250 then we got two guys in the top 40% of the eligible players at our level. How are we doing versus other teams at our level? I am happy we got Cooper and Garcia. If that's where it ends, this is not a successful portal season because we won't have enough guard play to compete, in all likelihood.
One more starter (SG) gets us to a B level, above average for a Big Ten program. I think that's fair.

Nope

Here's an interesting off guard who just dropped in the last day or two: Rondel Walker

He's transferring from OK State. He was a former Top 100 player but he's mostly come off the bench in his two years (started 15 of 59 games). His offensive stats are pretty underwhelming but his defensive stats are really impressive. He led the Big 12 in steal percentage last year. He had a 6 steal game against Texas (coming off the bench), 2 games of 4 steals, and 5 games of 3 steals. He was 1st in the Big 12 in defensive box score + or - and 10th in the Big 12 in overall defensive rating.

His 2-year True Shooting Percentage is only .516 but that's still better than Gabe's (a player with a defensive reputation) four-year average of .496.

Many of us typically look primarily at offensive stats when evaluating these off-guard candidates but, if we could get him, maybe a starting off guard with these defensive capabilities would be well worth it.

You're absolutely right, of course. Despite his underwhelming statistics, we do really need someone like Samuels and I believe he will help here. I think the "meh" reaction has more to do with the hope that many were hoping for an imminent announcement of a quality starting off guard transfer recruit.
I agree. I would love to see us pick up a top PG or CG too, but demand >>> supply in that department. I think the team will be in a better spot if Samuels joins.

I agree with a D being too harsh, but if we truly add no one else of relevance I would say C just for the overall grade. Cooper/Garcia were an amazing start but there is a clear need for a veteran G and we have whiffed on that spot. We have 3 open spots, 2 of those I think need to be guys who we can play in some role with confidence.

I will say after last year I am wary of freshman coming in and making a big impact. If Henley/Carrington were the answer at the SG right way that would be great!
Keep in mind 2021-22 was a special year. You had guys like Brad Davison running around for a 5th or 6th year. Last year's freshmen (the non-elite one's anyway) had to compete against even more experience and physical maturation. I think some of the underwhelming performances by freshman had something to do with last year's output.

Keep in mind 2021-22 was a special year. You had guys like Brad Davison running around for a 5th or 6th year. Last year's freshmen (the non-elite one's anyway) had to compete against even more experience and physical maturation. I think some of the underwhelming performances by freshman had something to do with last year's output.
Not sure how it’s playing out in basketball but I heard from some parents of hockey players that the additional year is having a measurable affect on scholarship availability. Kids who should be D-1 are choosing D-3 (no D2 hockey) because not enough scholarships available. I think we have two more years before the cycle is completely over. But it reverberate as players move up to where they probably should have been earlier in their career.

Perhaps he wants to play for a highly successful program. I’m guessing he completely understands what his role will be. Same thing worked out really well for Theo John this past season.
And going from Collins to Duke is an easy transition. I'm guessing it would be fun to get away from weakling Wednesday and play for a title contender

Perhaps he wants to play for a highly successful program. I’m guessing he completely understands what his role will be. Same thing worked out really well for Theo John this past season.
If it has to do with educational goals or maybe his goal is to coach and feels it will help him later then fine, otherwise riding the bench is on par with an 8 year old having to kiss your sister, from a competitors perspective there is no satisfaction riding coattails to a championship, none.

If it has to do with educational goals or maybe his goal is to coach and feels it will help him later then fine, otherwise riding the bench is on par with an 8 year old having to kiss your sister, from a competitors perspective there is no satisfaction riding coattails to a championship, none.

I'm assuming he's not walking on at Duke. If they gave him a scholarship, they must feel he has some value. He may ride the bench but probably not all of the time. I also don't see the point in calling someone's destination decision "wrong" and sneering at it. He could have gone to more than a few places but he chose to go there. He must have his reasons.

I'm assuming he's not walking on at Duke. If they gave him a scholarship, they must feel he has some value. He may ride the bench but probably not all of the time. I also don't see the point in calling someone's destination decision "wrong" and sneering at it. He could have gone to more than a few places but he chose to go there. He must have his reasons.
And his reasons are the only ones that count. Too many of us in the peanut gallery think playing time is the only motivation for these guys. Most of them aren’t playing pro basketball and the education decisions they make are more important than basketball decisions. This guy will make lifetime connections in whatever field he goes into in his year on the pine at Cameron. I bet it works for him.

Vermont got some player from Rhode Island in the portal, which is no big deal, but the Catamounts sure win some games. 13 out of the past 14 seasons with 20 or more wins.

I highly doubt Young is going into this thinking he’ll never play, but whatever his motivations are, I give him credit for being willing to test himself at one of the elite progams in college basketball. To me that doesn’t sound like a kid who’s afraid of competition.

Kevin McCullar is in the transfer portal. A guy who is supposedly a strong defender and scored 10 points a game in the Big 12 will probably have better options than us, but he had a Minnesota offer out of high school, he’s from San Antonio, and from what I recall was family friends with Jordan Murphy, who was himself recruited by Ben Johnson.

Top Bottom