2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I understand what you're saying but I still think this is an overreaction. It was more of a wild west a few years back compared to now. Sean Miller, Bill Self, Will Wade, etc... Have we already forgotten about the federal investigations with paying players?
Yeah the NIL allows players who didn't take money to actually get a cut legally. There will be a few deals that are ridiculous, but the return on investment will even things out in the long run imo.

I understand what you're saying but I still think this is an overreaction. It was more of a wild west a few years back compared to now. Sean Miller, Bill Self, Will Wade, etc... Have we already forgotten about the federal investigations with paying players?
And.........ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

If they don't get significant amounts then it probably will have little affect on their path to a degree. If they do, it likely will. None of us dreamed that we would be looking at 6 figure deals for NIL and free agency a few years back so we are in the wild west here.

I am going with human nature here...the more money they make for just playing basketball, the less interested they are going to be in hitting the books for 4 straight years. Just my opinion.
Your gripe is with the portal then. If you think their wasn't money and free agency before? If a player wanted that to be the priority they would find someone who'd pay them. Good programs are starting to put people in positions to help athletes manage the money. You're right about young people and spending, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to earn money.

Why would less obtain a degree? They need to have a certain amount of credits to be eligible that keeps players on path to graduate. Most players won’t be receiving significant amount of money anyway
Are you familiar with what happened when unemployment bonuses were given in the labor market?
If you are not, I will tell you. A lot of people chose not to work. Easy money appeals to the sloth in all of us. Hitting the books isn't fun. If you can make a $100k playing ball at 19 years, a lot of people at that age, won't hit the books.

Your gripe is with the portal then. If you think their wasn't money and free agency before? If a player wanted that to be the priority they would find someone who'd pay them. Good programs are starting to put people in positions to help athletes manage the money. You're right about young people and spending, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to earn money.
You or somebody here correctly stated that there should not be free agency, that they should have to sit out for a year if they transfer. That certainly would help.

That said, I would prefer to keep it clean. If you want to make money at playing basketball- G League, Europe, NBA or some other league. If you are in it for the education and playing basketball- then you can do that at college for a scholarship that is now worth probably 200-250k when you include the room and board, tuition and other legal perks the athletes get. We see how quickly it gets murky when you start going "semi-pro" with college basketball. It's a mess.

Now, everyone is going to be playing the game the way the cheaters did a few years ago. That sounds great for the players right now- just be a mercenary. The long term effects of doing this won't be good.
Are you familiar with what happened when unemployment bonuses were given in the labor market?
If you are not, I will tell you. A lot of people chose not to work. Easy money appeals to the sloth in all of us. Hitting the books isn't fun. If you can make a $100k playing ball at 19 years, a lot of people at that age, won't hit the books.
I don't get why you believe there are a bunch of $100k deals being passed out. Those are rare cases. The percentage of NIL deals for that amount of money is probably 10% or less. You are creating a problem that isn't there. There were schools buying families' houses and cars with duffle bags full of money.

Yeah the NIL allows players who didn't take money to actually get a cut legally. There will be a few deals that are ridiculous, but the return on investment will even things out in the long run imo.
Boosters like Ruiz are not making ROI decisions. He is the candy man for a major college team. He is attempting to tilt the competitive balance towards the University he loves. Some towns will have a guy like him. Others will not.

Boosters like Ruiz are not making ROI decisions. He is the candy man for a major college team. He is attempting to tilt the competitive balance towards the University he loves. Some towns will have a guy like him. Others will not.
That's always been the case. You have to be naive to not believe this.

I don't get why you believe there are a bunch of $100k deals being passed out. Those are rare cases. The percentage of NIL deals for that amount of money is probably 10% or less. You are creating a problem that isn't there. There were schools buying families' houses and cars with duffle bags full of money.
We are in year 2 of this. I hope that very very few of these deals get done. We'll see. It doesn't look good. 25 years ago, who would have thought that the U of M would have to spend 160 million on practice facilities to compete (and it still wouldn't work)?

That's always been the case. You have to be naive to not believe this.
Where were you during and after gangelgate? Many, many posters here would not acknowledge anything relating to an uneven playing field in college athletics. Haven't and wont.

Now? You are suggesting the exact issue that has been happening for decades. I agree with you there.

I find it humorous that the bastions of integrity over the past decades are silent.

There was 'money and free agency' before but there was at least some attempt to police it. The money for hire should not be in college athletics. Those wanting to be paid for playing the game should go to a developmental league. NIL needs to have some sideboards to ensure that it meets the intent. It appears that there are many 'deals' now where agents simply smell blood in the water and are circling athletes and trying to get a bite of the action.

Where were you during and after gangelgate? Many, many posters here would not acknowledge anything relating to an uneven playing field in college athletics. Haven't and wont.

Now? You are suggesting the exact issue that has been happening for decades. I agree with you there.

I find it humorous that the bastions of integrity over the past decades are silent.
I felt like it was pretty obvious that there was an uneven playing field and boosters were handing out cash at certain programs. I just feel like is crazy that people believe otherwise in 2022

There was 'money and free agency' before but there was at least some attempt to police it. The money for hire should not be in college athletics. Those wanting to be paid for playing the game should go to a developmental league. NIL needs to have some sideboards to ensure that it meets the intent. It appears that there are many 'deals' now where agents simply smell blood in the water and are circling athletes and trying to get a bite of the action.
If there was attempts to police it then Kansas wouldn't be national champions this year. All their issues were before the NIL era

Yep - and it sounds like the commission on NIL is a higher rate (15%?) then normal agent fees.

I suspect that you are right. Most college football and basketball players just aren't big enough stars and/or well known enough to merit that kind of money and the ones who are we probably wouldn't get anyway.

I suspect that you are right. Most college football and basketball players just aren't big enough stars and/or well known enough to merit that kind of money and the ones who are we probably wouldn't get anyway.
Exactly. We may take a hit on a local player who may consider us but we have missed on those guys well before NIL & probably because of under-the-table deals. I know I have heard some shady stuff about the recruitment of Rashad Vaughn and I can only imagine with Suggs and Chet got from boosters at Gonzaga

Aside from aspects that have been covered on Gopherhole (agent % and whatnot), I don't know technical details, but it would seem to me that a boilerplate contract is likely to emerge that would address issues that would affect eligibility at the School.
So, if grades are required, schoolwork would become a job, a condition of the... grant? I don't know how to refer to it. Also, clauses that address poor behavior of one sort or another would seem to be a condition of payment.
Point is, the money might create more pressure to perform academically--unless you're at UNC, where there is no pressure.

Actual studies don't back that up

but carry on

pretty much

We just need to make sure we're competitive with Iowa/Wisconsin etc

If there was attempts to police it then Kansas wouldn't be national champions this year. All their issues were before the NIL era
There were rules in place. Whether they were enforced equally is another story. One could at least say that there was a risk that they would be caught and punished.

Now there are no rules and most certainly no enforcement! This is a recipe for disaster.

Aside from aspects that have been covered on Gopherhole (agent % and whatnot), I don't know technical details, but it would seem to me that a boilerplate contract is likely to emerge that would address issues that would affect eligibility at the School.
So, if grades are required, schoolwork would become a job, a condition of the... grant? I don't know how to refer to it. Also, clauses that address poor behavior of one sort or another would seem to be a condition of payment.
Point is, the money might create more pressure to perform academically--unless you're at UNC, where there is no pressure.
This is all clear as mud, but I don't believe the schools CURRENTLY have anything to do with the NIL contract, that I think is just between the kid and the booster/company. Thus I would say there is 0 to do with academics outside of, hey if you aren't in school at the U or wherever I am not paying you so outside of being eligible I doubt there is anything to that.

Now my idea that there needs to be an actual contract between the school/player/NIL person could change that, but as it sits now I don't think there is anything.

I felt like it was pretty obvious that there was an uneven playing field and boosters were handing out cash at certain programs. I just feel like is crazy that people believe otherwise in 2022
People have cheated in the past so we just throw up our hands and give up and let the cheaters win?

This is all clear as mud, but I don't believe the schools CURRENTLY have anything to do with the NIL contract, that I think is just between the kid and the booster/company. Thus I would say there is 0 to do with academics outside of, hey if you aren't in school at the U or wherever I am not paying you so outside of being eligible I doubt there is anything to that.

Now my idea that there needs to be an actual contract between the school/player/NIL person could change that, but as it sits now I don't think there is anything.
The schools determine eligibility based on the NCAA, conference, or institutional requirements for students. Schools are going to be put in a position where THEY feel compelled to cheat and lie to keep a player academically eligible in school to meet the contract needs of a booster or company for fear of losing that relationship. This has the potential to make a mockery of the educational side of the equation. I see coersion and deceipt behind every door now.

Money is going to create more pressure to meet academic requirements... not necessarily perform. Institutions are going to find creative ways to fudge grades, etc. Athletes will be tempted or encouraged to use their PIL $$ to pay some other kid to sit in on that 9 AM class for them, take notes, and worse.

Good grief. Do you suppose there is anything Coyle could do? You know, outside of being directly involved?

More excuses. I’m sure Go Heels are thinking the same of their ad.
So with this post you were only talking about compliance ?

Top Bottom