2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Curbelo in the portal. He has had his ups and downs at ILL but man i think he has some big upside! My guess is he also gets some big offers but having an experienced B1G PG would be nice.

Curbelo in the portal. He has had his ups and downs at ILL but man i think he has some big upside! My guess is he also gets some big offers but having an experienced B1G PG would be nice.
He's going to be extremely difficult for sure, but he walks into 30+ minutes here so you never know.

He's going to be extremely difficult for sure, but he walks into 30+ minutes here so you never know.
No clue if we will have a shot but dang there would be a lot to like about him coming on board. PG, who has played and done pretty well in the Big Ten with multiple years left.

Commitments should start happening here in the near future. Will be exciting to see who we end up with to go along with the pieces already on the roster and the incoming freshmen.

Very different situation going into this off season than the one we dealt with last year. Hopefully Johnson can make a splash and find some good players in the portal who can complement Battle and Fox.

I don’t think Curbelo is the type of player this staff would want. All flash but not much basketball IQ. He’s a more talented version of Isaiah Washington. Makes a ton of things happen but unfortunately many of them are for the opposing team. Illinois had a better record in games where he was out.

Shaq's 1997 girlfriend still live in MN that we can use to recruit the Daddy's son?

Go Gophers!!

I don’t think Curbelo is the type of player this staff would want. All flash but not much basketball IQ. He’s a more talented version of Isaiah Washington. Makes a ton of things happen but unfortunately many of them are for the opposing team. Illinois had a better record in games where he was out.
He was outstanding as a freshman, could get to the basket easily and did a nice job setting up others. Injured most of the season this year including a concussion, I don’t think he ever was comfortable. I’d take him in a minute but wouldn’t guess there’s a chance.
he ever was comfortable.

The portal is %$#@ crack cocaine and I can't get my fix.

Some interesting news dropping in the past couple days:
* Murray State's Justice Hill is now LSU's Justice Hill, following his coach from the Racers to the Bayou Bengals. I believe Tony L. had mentioned the Gophers had been in contact.
* Murray State's big man, 6'10" KJ Williams who averaged 18 and 8 this season, also is in the portal. Have to think he might be looking towards Baton Rouge also (after seeing his NBA prospects), with Mississippi being his home state. Not seeing any reason for him to look towards Dinkytown, but it would be nice.
* Adam Miller is leaving LSU, after a season on the sidelines with a torn ACL. To jog your memories, he is from Peoria and was a starter for the Illini throughout his freshman year and was one of the more surprising entries into last year's portal.
* Kario Oquendo, sophomore guard for Georgia's in the portal after averaging 15 ppg, 4 rpg this past season. He had some monster nights-not a 3 point shooter, but pretty efficient (45% FGP). Perhaps Ant was his host when he visited Athens in senior year of HS and he'd like to rekindle the bromance?
* Manny Bates, grad transfer from NC State is an interesting case. 6'11" post who averaged 10 and 6 the previous season, but missed nearly the entirety of 2021-22 with a shoulder injury. Certainly could use him in maroon and gold if he's recovered from the injury.
* Colorado State's Dischon Thomas, who entered the portal with underwhelming stats (6 ppg, 3 rpg) but had a strong tournament game against Michigan has been hearing from a host of schools, with Wisconsin, Creighton, Wake Forest, BYU among the suitors. Given Thorson's connection to CSU, interesting that the Gophers are not among the schools reaching out--not a criticism in any sense, but a curiosity.
* East Carolina's Tristen Newton is worth noting-6'5" guard who averaged 18, 5, and 5 for a mediocre squad. He's originally from El Paso, so wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Beard, Scott Drew, or Mark Adams swoop him up.
* A couple of Pac-10 guards who averaged over 10 ppg joined the portal--Keeshawn Barthelemy (Colorado) and Jarod Lucas (Oregon State). As has been said numerous times already through this thread--good quality, experienced guards are aplenty in the portal, big men not so much.

Non-portal news:
Jared Nuness has been promoted to assistant coach at Baylor.

Keegan Murray and Gabe Brown declared for NBA draft today.

Another stick in the eye to mid-majors from the new transfer rules. Their coach leaves, and the team follows, forcing them to start at square one.
Well they should have hired a good coach, not a great coach. Good coaches stay, great coaches get promoted. Just rambling, this is why I respect a team like Davidson, their coach has had plenty of opportunities to leave

Another stick in the eye to mid-majors from the new transfer rules. Their coach leaves, and the team follows, forcing them to start at square one.
Yep. I hate these rules. I don't even think it is good for the players. For the most part- make decisions and stick with them, see them through.

Gosh, La Salle with 11 players in the portal now that their coach was let go. They are down to the Ihnen's and Curry's. Tom Gola must be spinning in his grave.

To be fair, it happens at the high major level as well, just look at the exodus here after Pitino left.

Well they should have hired a good coach, not a great coach. Good coaches stay, great coaches get promoted. Just rambling, this is why I respect a team like Davidson, their coach has had plenty of opportunities to leave
Murray St got back their old coach in Prohm, that might be best for both parties overall. Prohm didnt cut it at ISU and now Murray should be set for a while.

On McKillop, not only is he a bit older (meaning more likely to not want to jump jobs all over) but Davidson is also a private school, they generally have more money to throw around that no one hears about. I'm not saying he is making K or Cal money but I would bet he does pretty well compared to most B1G coaches.

Another note, someone a few pages/threads ago suggested they thought transfers would be down after the weird covid year. Well here we are, just hit 1,000 and ohh by the way its not even April yet. This is just a thing, its not going to stop anytime soon.

Another note, someone a few pages/threads ago suggested they thought transfers would be down after the weird covid year. Well here we are, just hit 1,000 and ohh by the way its not even April yet. This is just a thing, its not going to stop anytime soon.
I think over time it won't be quite as crazy but not surprised to see the numbers being huge once again this year. Going to take a few years of lots of guys not finding good homes for players to decide that maybe the grass isn't always greener...

Unless they clarify the rules and are clear that it's one transfer in four years.

Murray St got back their old coach in Prohm, that might be best for both parties overall. Prohm didnt cut it at ISU and now Murray should be set for a while.

On McKillop, not only is he a bit older (meaning more likely to not want to jump jobs all over) but Davidson is also a private school, they generally have more money to throw around that no one hears about. I'm not saying he is making K or Cal money but I would bet he does pretty well compared to most B1G coaches.
McKilop's salary is only $400K according to Google, but that seems out of date. In any event, he's 71 and pretty clearly not going anywhere.

Top Bottom