2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I had to look that up, wow! Something seems fishy there? Like Few knows something we don't. I am not 100% sure but I think their whole team COULD come back just because of the weird covid season. Chet is obviously gone but in theory they could return Nembhard/Strawther/Sallis/Watson/Timme plus guys like Gregg and Hickman who were top end guys who basically never play. add in 1-2 top transfers and they are back to #1. But yes the freshman recruiting class is something for Gonzaga, I suppose they could get in on some of these 5* decommits too.
Chet would be crazy to come back....projected to be the first or second pick in the draft. His stock will never be higher......and frankly, the more high level talent he plays against in college, the more he gets exposed. I just don't think he has the frame to put on weight and he is just going to get out-muscled in the NBA.

Chet would be crazy to come back....projected to be the first or second pick in the draft. His stock will never be higher......and frankly, the more high level talent he plays against in college, the more he gets exposed. I just don't think he has the frame to put on weight and he is just going to get out-muscled in the NBA.
Came across a story about Chet but can't remember where I saw it at the moment. The basic idea was that he has to land on the right team because he will have some defensive issues in the NBA if forced to bang down low.

But the general consensus among scouts was that you might have some issues figuring out who you want Chet to guard on defense, but there is pretty much nobody who is going to be a natural fit to guard him when his team is on offense. And he will cause matchup nightmares on the offensive end of the court for teams.

Came across a story about Chet but can't remember where I saw it at the moment. The basic idea was that he has to land on the right team because he will have some defensive issues in the NBA if forced to bang down low.

But the general consensus among scouts was that you might have some issues figuring out who you want Chet to guard on defense, but there is pretty much nobody who is going to be a natural fit to guard him when his team is on offense. And he will cause matchup nightmares on the offensive end of the court for teams.
I've heard similar things and I don't think finding a fit for Chet will be as tough as some other people do. If the opposing team has a dominant low post player, you play Chet like a super stretch 4 until he can add enough strength. For everyone else, you play him as a 5.

He'll likely need to be paired with someone with strength on the front court but that's so much easier with Chet because he can shoot. It makes it difficult if you need to add a bruiser next to another guy who doesn't space the floor. Chet spaces the floor and he's athletic enough to hedge on pick-n-rolls.

I disagree with some of the takes on him. I think his biggest selling point is that he's pretty easy to fit into most teams. A shot blocking 7 footer who spaces the floor. He can play the 4 or 5 on pretty much every system.

Love Chet but there are plenty of guys in the NBA that could D him up. A 6’7 guy who is quicker and stronger is the type that will give him problems… Jae Crowder type. Chet needs to get a lot stronger he gets bumped around a lot. IMO

Terry Roberts--CG from Bradley in the portal. 14.5p 5r 4a per game last year, 34.5% from 3. NY kid so feels like a Big East type player, but that would fill a nice role here!

I haven't seen too many (if any) announcements of kids in the portal announcing where there going....so I'm trying to be patient.

Correct and the most of the ones who have announced a commitment haven't gone to very good programs.

When did Johnson get Battle? End of April? I am way too impatient.
I too am very impatient so I thought I would look up when we got our commitments for last years portal's crop.

Luke Loewe entered Portal on March 26th and Committed on April 2nd, 1 week elapsed time to commitment

Sean Sutherlin entered Portal on April 1 and Committed on April 12, 11 days elapsed time to commitment

Payton Willis entered Portal on April 1st and Committed on April 16th, 15 days elapsed time to commitment

Jamison Battle entered Portal on March 8th and Committed on March 29th, 3 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Charlie Daniels entered Portal on May 15th and Committed on June 7th, 3 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Parker Fox entered Portal on March 22 and Committed on April 15th, ~3.5 weeks elapsed time to commitment

EJ Stephens entered Portal on March 7th and Committed on April 3rd, ~4 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Ogele is not even listed on the 247 transfer roster so I don't know when he entered the transfer portal but he committed on July 17th according to his twitter account. Since he was the least impactful player on the court and his addition was in response to Ihnen's injury I won't bother to include him in the calculations below.

Taking this all together, the average time it takes from portal to committment is 18.7 days. Since the championship game is on April 4th along with the fact the high impact on court players on our team (except charlie), had all entered the portal by April 1st I would expect all but 1, maybe 2, transfer players to commit by April 23rd. I would also expect to get at least one commitment within the next week to 10 days. Excitement is building!

I too am very impatient so I thought I would look up when we got our commitments for last years portal's crop.

Luke Loewe entered Portal on March 26th and Committed on April 2nd, 1 week elapsed time to commitment

Sean Sutherlin entered Portal on April 1 and Committed on April 12, 11 days elapsed time to commitment

Payton Willis entered Portal on April 1st and Committed on April 16th, 15 days elapsed time to commitment

Jamison Battle entered Portal on March 8th and Committed on March 29th, 3 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Charlie Daniels entered Portal on May 15th and Committed on June 7th, 3 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Parker Fox entered Portal on March 22 and Committed on April 15th, ~3.5 weeks elapsed time to commitment

EJ Stephens entered Portal on March 7th and Committed on April 3rd, ~4 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Ogele is not even listed on the 247 transfer roster so I don't know when he entered the transfer portal but he committed on July 17th according to his twitter account. Since he was the least impactful player on the court and his addition was in response to Ihnen's injury I won't bother to include him in the calculations below.

Taking this all together, the average time it takes from portal to committment is 18.7 days. Since the championship game is on April 4th along with the fact the high impact on court players on our team (except charlie), had all entered the portal by April 1st I would expect all but 1, maybe 2, transfer players to commit by April 23rd. I would also expect to get at least one commitment within the next week to 10 days. Excitement is building!

Good work and interesting! We'll see if the same average period holds this year.

Verbal commits has a transfer database for both D1 and DII so he was listed on the DII database. Of course, I never looked at that one until he committed.

Still? Are you expecting that to change at some point?
I meant he's accomplished so much and still young enough to be in college. But mock it all you want, I know Brian Cardinal caught up to my dad's age while he was in college :).

Justice "Juice" Hill PG from Murray St just went into the portal, I am going to assume he's going to follow his coach but man talk about a dream PG! Sophomore, 13.4 and 5.1a per game.
LSU's PG just entered the portal and would probably be a good fit here.

He finally dropped.

Offer! Don't even think twice about it. 62.4% True Shooting Percentage last year with 61.6% for his career. I don't care where he played and he played for a good team in a good conference anyway.
Yep sign him up, believe he has two years of eligibility if he wants it, had an injury in 2018-19.

I'd take him, need to be locked in on 2 ball handlers after that though. I know we need a big but if it came down to it, I'd be fine with 4 guards. Not ideal, but if they can play, they can play.

I just think it's so important to get at least 2 guys that can handle the ball.

Top Bottom