2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

McKilop's salary is only $400K according to Google, but that seems out of date. In any event, he's 71 and pretty clearly not going anywhere.
And his kid Associate Head Coach, so probably stays in the family.

Another stick in the eye to mid-majors from the new transfer rules. Their coach leaves, and the team follows, forcing them to start at square one.

As much as it hurts some of these schools, I'm ok with players always being able to transfer and gain immediate eligibility if their coach leaves. These players go to these schools to play for the coach who recruited them.

I despise the transfer portal as much as needless reviews. It's worse than free agency because this is just constant one year deals. I would just despise being a coach and having to recruit your current players as much as high school guys. I do not think player freedom makes this game better.

The portal is %$#@ crack cocaine and I can't get my fix.

Some interesting news dropping in the past couple days:
* Murray State's Justice Hill is now LSU's Justice Hill, following his coach from the Racers to the Bayou Bengals. I believe Tony L. had mentioned the Gophers had been in contact.
* Murray State's big man, 6'10" KJ Williams who averaged 18 and 8 this season, also is in the portal. Have to think he might be looking towards Baton Rouge also (after seeing his NBA prospects), with Mississippi being his home state. Not seeing any reason for him to look towards Dinkytown, but it would be nice.
* Adam Miller is leaving LSU, after a season on the sidelines with a torn ACL. To jog your memories, he is from Peoria and was a starter for the Illini throughout his freshman year and was one of the more surprising entries into last year's portal.
* Kario Oquendo, sophomore guard for Georgia's in the portal after averaging 15 ppg, 4 rpg this past season. He had some monster nights-not a 3 point shooter, but pretty efficient (45% FGP). Perhaps Ant was his host when he visited Athens in senior year of HS and he'd like to rekindle the bromance?
* Manny Bates, grad transfer from NC State is an interesting case. 6'11" post who averaged 10 and 6 the previous season, but missed nearly the entirety of 2021-22 with a shoulder injury. Certainly could use him in maroon and gold if he's recovered from the injury.
* Colorado State's Dischon Thomas, who entered the portal with underwhelming stats (6 ppg, 3 rpg) but had a strong tournament game against Michigan has been hearing from a host of schools, with Wisconsin, Creighton, Wake Forest, BYU among the suitors. Given Thorson's connection to CSU, interesting that the Gophers are not among the schools reaching out--not a criticism in any sense, but a curiosity.
* East Carolina's Tristen Newton is worth noting-6'5" guard who averaged 18, 5, and 5 for a mediocre squad. He's originally from El Paso, so wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Beard, Scott Drew, or Mark Adams swoop him up.
* A couple of Pac-10 guards who averaged over 10 ppg joined the portal--Keeshawn Barthelemy (Colorado) and Jarod Lucas (Oregon State). As has been said numerous times already through this thread--good quality, experienced guards are aplenty in the portal, big men not so much.

Non-portal news:
Jared Nuness has been promoted to assistant coach at Baylor.

Keegan Murray and Gabe Brown declared for NBA draft today.
Gabe Brown ?? That's very laughable, get a degree boy !!

Here's another forward (like that guy from Utah Valley who dropped a week or so ago) who had outstanding efficiency stats in two years at a lower program: Norchad Omier He just dropped within the last day or two. He's from Nicaragua.

He had a really good freshman year but topped that with an even better soph year. He has a two-year Player Efficiency Rating of 32.1, a Wins Shares per 40 minute number over two years of .247, and an average two-year True Shooting Percentage of .622. This season, on a 40 minute basis, he averaged 24.8 points and 16.8 rebounds. To put that rebounding number in perspective, that's about 55% of the rebounds our entire team averaged per game.

I'll be very curious to see where he ends up.

Per 40 minutes, he averaged 6 fouls and 15 rebounds per game. That's down from 7 fouls per 40 minutes his previous seasons!

Yeah, his rebounding numbers per minute are very good; his block percentages are pretty good too. He just doesn't do anything else well and is a poor shooter. He's the kind of guy you could play 15 minutes a game but you don't ever want him in at the end of halves because he's a bad free throw shooter.

Another note, someone a few pages/threads ago suggested they thought transfers would be down after the weird covid year. Well here we are, just hit 1,000 and ohh by the way its not even April yet. This is just a thing, its not going to stop anytime soon.
We are still in the throws of the COVID issues. The number of transfers will likely go down once all of the people impacted by NCAA's rule granting a free year due to COVID run out. Right now, you still have a situation where a large group of players essentially has 5 years of eligibility being shoehorned into a system designed for 4 years worth of players. I think the drop of players in portal due to this issue will be more dramatic for football, but it will also impact basketball.

We are still in the throws of the COVID issues. The number of transfers will likely go down once all of the people impacted by NCAA's rule granting a free year due to COVID run out. Right now, you still have a situation where a large group of players essentially has 5 years of eligibility being shoehorned into a system designed for 4 years worth of players. I think the drop of players in portal due to this issue will be more dramatic for football, but it will also impact basketball.
The system is designed for five years, if you assume a redshirt freshman year. I don't know how much that happens in basketball though, probably far less than in football.

The system is designed for five years, if you assume a redshirt freshman year. I don't know how much that happens in basketball though, probably far less than in football.

Much, much less in basketball. Just look at the Gophers. Although we have had multiple freshmen who haven't played much in that time period, we haven't had an official redshirt freshman since Buggs in the 2012-13 season.

Let's here some predictions, who will be the first player the Gophers pick up in the portal?

Let's here some predictions, who will be the first player the Gophers pick up in the portal?
Too many potential options to even begin to guess. But it would seem likely that the earliest guys to transfer in will probably have some local ties which would make Minnesota super appealing to them.

I know some hate the portal, but I like it. It definitely ups the chances of a quicker turnaround assuming you can find the right guys in the portal and get them on board. Course that is easier said than done.

I'm going to guess Mike Jones. If not, maybe Ryan Larson. Jones went to a hoity-toity private school so it's possible that he might prefer to go someplace like Vanderbilt, Stanford, or Northwestern.

Think the early leader in the transfer portal is the new LSU coach with Justice Hill, from his old school, and Kendal Coleman from Northwestern State.

Im not sure i would call them a winner yet, they had a mass exodus of talent. They not only lost the numbers we did last year, but they lost guys to the NBA and guys who will be very sought after in the portal. I would compare Hill/Coleman to Battle/Willis, yes a good start but if thats the peak of the mountain LSU is going to be in for a rough year.

Im not sure i would call them a winner yet, they had a mass exodus of talent. They not only lost the numbers we did last year, but they lost guys to the NBA and guys who will be very sought after in the portal. I would compare Hill/Coleman to Battle/Willis, yes a good start but if thats the peak of the mountain LSU is going to be in for a rough year.
"early leader" Like me starting out a marathon and having the lead after 20', that's about it.
Really not much more to what I said than that.

I would think by the end of next week or sooner we would have somebody saying they are a Gopher. Or maybe I'm just anxious.
I don't see a logical reason the Final Four is a factor but somehow it seems like it must be?

LSU isn't really going to avoid NCAA sanctions, correct? I mean, c'mon......
What does sanctions have to do with the two players he got?
(Man. I better double check what I am typing.)
Apologies, you and leib are way ahead of me. I’m too sloth like. Totally understand what you guys are getting at regarding sanctions.

Last edited:

I didn't mean anything by it, other than I find it shocking that players still will commit to a school who I assumed is going to face NCAA sanctions......
Understood. Strange. Maybe Hill likes the way the coach lets him run things and the other guy is from Louisiana. Probably easy pick ups.

Think the early leader in the transfer portal is the new LSU coach with Justice Hill, from his old school, and Kendal Coleman from Northwestern State.

Those players had fine years.

Until clicking that link, I didn't know that Shreveport was named after the namesake of Coleman's high school: Captain Shreve.

Top Bottom