2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Tough to find.
Here are a few with those quals, but guessing they are possible to get.
Tamell Pearson-Western Illinois https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tamell-pearson-1.html
Nic Lynch-Lehigh https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nic-lynch-1.html
Joey St Pierre-Milwaukee https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-stpierre-1.html

Yes, I noticed St. Pierre as a strong candidate previously but I don't know if he would be immediately eligible (assuming the NCAA actually enforces the rule). He transferred from a D2 (or maybe D3) school previously without sitting out. The rule specifies only a 4-year school and says nothing about the level of the school.

No, performance in the NCAA tournament isn't everything but, at some point, it's got to mean something. No single measurement (including these indexes) should be controlling when it comes to selecting teams. This isn't the NBA where everyone plays everyone else and every team plays every team home and away at least once each season.

The Big Ten sent 9 teams to the tournament last season and only one escaped from the round of 32. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 sent 5 teams last season; all five advanced to the round of 32, four advanced to the final 16, and 3 advanced to the regional final. What was the Big Ten's penalty for that poor performance? Nothing; they got another 9 bids this season. What was the Pac 12's reward for last season's achievement? They only received 3 bids this season. Even with only 3 bids to the Big Ten's 9, the Pac 12 has the same number of teams in the final 16.

The ACC has one more conference team than the Big Ten. The Big Ten beat the ACC by one game in the Big Ten-ACC challenge this season and normally that inter-league contest is pretty close. But the ACC received 5 bids this season to the Big Ten's 9. 3 of the ACC's 5 teams are in the final 16 while 2 of the Big Ten's 9 teams have reached that level.

Those are great and valid points. The B1G floundered last year in the tourney and there is no other way to slice it. I'd argue their punishment this year is being seeded lower. They've now done decent as their record would indicate. The challenges and off season schedule do tell a story like you mentioned as well. I think the depth of the B1G, style of play and officiating hurt it immensely in a single elimination style tournament. It's truly a double edge sword. Try to modify your style of play to fit the tournament, but don't make it because of conference record or adjust and make the tournament. The B1G at some point will need to change the way they officiate games if they want more success in the tournament and I don't see any other way around it. That being said, it doens't make them worse at basketball than the ACC or Big 12.

Those are great and valid points. The B1G floundered last year in the tourney and there is no other way to slice it. I'd argue their punishment this year is being seeded lower. They've now done decent as their record would indicate. The challenges and off season schedule do tell a story like you mentioned as well. I think the depth of the B1G, style of play and officiating hurt it immensely in a single elimination style tournament. It's truly a double edge sword. Try to modify your style of play to fit the tournament, but don't make it because of conference record or adjust and make the tournament. The B1G at some point will need to change the way they officiate games if they want more success in the tournament and I don't see any other way around it. That being said, it doens't make them worse at basketball than the ACC or Big 12.

I guess the bottom line for me is this: If the decision makers are closely following a quantitative index that consistently is giving one P6 conference far more tournament bids than any other but the performance of that conference is not justifying those bids, then you have to consider whether there is a consistent bias in that index and whether you should weight that metric a little less.

Again, I think decisions should be made weighing all sorts of evidence and I don't think any conference deserves 9 bids unless the evidence clearly establishes that the conference is head-and-shoulders above the others. I also don't think that these excess bids should all go to other P6 conferences. It seems to me that two or three more mid-majors should get tournament bids in most years.

Where was that transfer rankings website?

A couple of interesting players with upper Midwest connections entered the portal today…
Noah Carter, 6’6” sophomore forward from UNI who averaged 15 ppg is originally from Dubuque.

Max Klesmit, 6’3” sophomore guard from Wofford averaged 15 ppg is originally from Neenah, WI.
I saw UNI play this past year. Noah Carter would be a great addition to the Gophers. I don’t think that he and Green (the MV most MVP) were the best of teammates.

Tough to find.
Here are a few with those quals, but guessing they are possible to get.
Tamell Pearson-Western Illinois https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tamell-pearson-1.html
Nic Lynch-Lehigh https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nic-lynch-1.html
Joey St Pierre-Milwaukee https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-stpierre-1.html

Yes, but the supply has increased in the last couple of weeks. We really don't have to get a 30 minute per game big man. If this team ends up having a rotational strategy with its post type players, one that could give us 15 or 20 minutes per game of solid play (like clearly better than Daniels or Ogele) could be all right. There are a number of guys dropping recently who have pretty decent numbers on a per minute basis but are not playing big minutes because they are behind more mature players or because they might be a bit too foul prone to play much bigger minutes.

I saw UNI play this past year. Noah Carter would be a great addition to the Gophers. I don’t think that he and Green (the MV most MVP) were the best of teammates.
Didn't get along? Will Green enter the portal and join his Dad and Iowa State?

LaSalle C Clifton Moore 12.9ppg, 6.1 rpg, and 2.8 bpg grad transfer

LSU G Brandon Murray 10.0ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg three years left

Clifton Moore of La Salle just dropped. He'd be a one-year only player. He's 6'10" and played for Indiana in his first two years (but not much!). He transferred previously but sat out a year on that one. He's from a Philadelphia suburb so I suspect that Penn State might go after him.

Here's an interesting big man who was a freshman with Eastern Michigan this past season: Mo Njie

According to Eastern Michigan's website, he was rated a 3 star by Rivals and 247. He's still in the early stages of his career and big men usually take longer than others but his freshman year was promising. He certainly didn't have the freshman year of the Ball State big man but I guess he would have fewer offers to compete with as well.

Last edited:

LaSalle C Clifton Moore 12.9ppg, 6.1 rpg, and 2.8 bpg grad transfer

LSU G Brandon Murray 10.0ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg three years left

Beat me to it with Moore!

At this point, I'm specializing only in posting about big men in the portal. There are too many of the other type positions for me to track and look up at this point!

Beat me to it with Moore!

At this point, I'm specializing only in posting about big men in the portal. There are too many of the other type positions for me to track and look up at this point!
I appreciate your insight. I agree, I got carried away with posting everyone with decent stats. Now I'm combining players in one post or waiting for there to be a tweet about us reaching out. It's exciting and I can't wait to see who our first transfer is that we land

I guess the bottom line for me is this: If the decision makers are closely following a quantitative index that consistently is giving one P6 conference far more tournament bids than any other but the performance of that conference is not justifying those bids, then you have to consider whether there is a consistent bias in that index and whether you should weight that metric a little less.

Again, I think decisions should be made weighing all sorts of evidence and I don't think any conference deserves 9 bids unless the evidence clearly establishes that the conference is head-and-shoulders above the others. I also don't think that these excess bids should all go to other P6 conferences. It seems to me that two or three more mid-majors should get tournament bids in most years.

The metric might be dead on. Remember the final three teams that got in for the Big Ten did so as two of the Last Four in and an 11 seed. That group has gone 3-2 so far, including a Sweet 16 berth. That, to me, proves the metric is correct.

So, if we are to question the metric, I guess we would have to determine if teams like Wake Forest, Texas A&M, BYU, Dayton, etc., would have potentially done better if given those spots instead? It is certainly possible, but not guaranteed (and in my opinion doubtful).

The Big Ten got 9 teams in, there were six no doubters. Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa disappointed. #7 seed Michigan State gave #2 seed Duke a tight game, #7 seed Ohio State gave #2 seed Villanova a tight game.

I actually think the Big Ten was seeded about right, and if you go by "chalk" should have had three in the Sweet 16. They have two. Illinois and Wisconsin are disappointments, although Wisconsin suffered a catastrophic injury, but I didn't like them to advance all that far either way. Iowa was a disappointment, but purely by seed (based on the metric), was not supposed to make the Sweet 16.

I don't think the tourney was as much of a disaster for the Big Ten as most are making it. The Big Ten, Big East and Pac 12 all got two into the Sweet 16. All suffered some upsets. The Big 12 and ACC have three in the Sweet 16. The Big 12 was generally regarded as the top league in the country and it showed, although defending champ Baylor was a disappointment. If there was a disaster in the tourney, it was the SEC by a LARGE margin.

And, the crazy thing, if we started over with the same field and the same matchups, and played it again, the Big Ten might get Iowa and Illinois and Wisconsin into the Sweet 16. You just never know.

Last edited:

Haven't seen Dischon Thomas mentioned. Colorado State big entered the portal yesterday. Could want to team back up with Thorson? 247 doesn't list primary recruiter but who's to say?

Adam Thistelwood another Colorado State guy in the portal

Haven't seen Dischon Thomas mentioned. Colorado State big entered the portal yesterday. Could want to team back up with Thorson? 247 doesn't list primary recruiter but who's to say?

Adam Thistelwood another Colorado State guy in the portal

If we're taking guys who averaged 5.7 and 2.4 points per game at Colorado St, we are in real trouble.

If we're taking guys who averaged 5.7 and 2.4 points per game at Colorado St, we are in real trouble.
I was just going to type the same thing. Thomas had a good game against Michigan last week but only reached double figures in scoring a few times in conference play. I haven't seen them play enough to know about any intangibles but the stats don't jump off the page at me... even if he only got 10-20 minutes of run per game.

LSU G Xavier Pinson 9.8 ppg

Northwestern C Ryan Young 9ppg, one start last year, grad transfer

LSU G Xavier Pinson 9.8 ppg

Northwestern C Ryan Young 9ppg, one start last year, grad transfer
Young feels like EJ Anosicke, goes down to mid/low major and dominates. Hes from NJ so if he went to like say a Vermont or Towson and just destroyed the 6'6 guys guarding him.

Pinson is interesting 13-3-3 per game 2 years ago at Mizzou, maybe we could offer him that Willis role, hey you are still at a P5 team but you are the combo guard who gets more touches than you did at LSU last year with guys like Days and Eason there. Not a true PG obviously but I think a solid player, leaves some to be desired from 3pt range but an excellent FT shooter which lends you to think he has some upside.

I wonder what the story is there on Dischon Thomas. He started all but 2 games this year, and really beefed up since HS (185 lbs to 232). His season highs for minutes were 24 minutes in the Michigan game, and 25 against Creighton (when he scored 21 points, including 5/8 from 3PT). Only played 12, 14, and 10 minutes in the three preceding games. Maybe he was out of shape? Put him in the Iron 5 and he'll be in the best shape of his life!

He shot 41% from 3PT on the season. I thought he looked good against Michigan, when he went 5/7 from 3PT.

I wonder what the story is there on Dischon Thomas. He started all but 2 games this year, and really beefed up since HS (185 lbs to 232). His season highs for minutes were 24 minutes in the Michigan game, and 25 against Creighton (when he scored 21 points, including 5/8 from 3PT). Only played 12, 14, and 10 minutes in the three preceding games. Maybe he was out of shape? Put him in the Iron 5 and he'll be in the best shape of his life!

He shot 41% from 3PT on the season. I thought he looked good against Michigan, when he went 5/7 from 3PT.
Is he from MN? If not ….. not interested

It's interesting that after a run of highly ranked recruiting classes, Gonzaga only has one 3* commit for next season. They are also likely losing 4 of their 5 starters. I'm going to guess they will be a big factor in trying to land some of the top level transfers.
I had to look that up, wow! Something seems fishy there? Like Few knows something we don't. I am not 100% sure but I think their whole team COULD come back just because of the weird covid season. Chet is obviously gone but in theory they could return Nembhard/Strawther/Sallis/Watson/Timme plus guys like Gregg and Hickman who were top end guys who basically never play. add in 1-2 top transfers and they are back to #1. But yes the freshman recruiting class is something for Gonzaga, I suppose they could get in on some of these 5* decommits too.

Top Bottom