2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

"early leader" Like me starting out a marathon and having the lead after 20', that's about it.
Really not much more to what I said than that.

It's fair to say he's an early leader. Those are good commitments and there are relatively small numbers for commitments so far considering the size of the portal.

"early leader" Like me starting out a marathon and having the lead after 20', that's about it.
Really not much more to what I said than that.
I had you as the early leader when you leaned forward on the starting line.

Need a UNC loss to try to speed this thing up hopefully
As painful as it would be to see Duke win...yes. IF, and that's a giant if here, we could get a nice little Garcia and Walton package, it might be the impetus Ben needs to convince a higher end PG and a banger big man to come on board with the idea that we would be very competitive this year. The earlier we get one strong transfer signing the better chance to get others in my view.

One thing, maybe someone knows, what does it matter if NC is playing or not as far as Garcia entering the portal? I understand the situation with Walton.

One thing, maybe someone knows, what does it matter if NC is playing or not as far as Garcia entering the portal? I understand the situation with Walton.
I think these guys have to wait until the seasons actually over, or that's just a general unwritten rule, idk

I think these guys have to wait until the seasons actually over, or that's just a general unwritten rule, idk
Probably right. Reason I was asking also is because of Dain Dainja playing in a few games this year and then jumping in the portal from Baylor to Illinois. Must have been some circumstances that we aren't aware of.

No. Lafayette's starting point entered the portal months ago but he continued playing for his team until the end of their season. There were a number of football players who played in their teams bowls after having entered the portal.

There have been a number of players (in both football and basketball) who have continued to play for their teams after entering the portal. Essentially they are saying that they will transfer but they are still a member of the team. Remember, under the temporary 5th year allowance, there is no obligation for schools to fund that 5th year with a scholarship. The Ivy League said at the outset that they would not do that. That's why you see a lot of Ivy players in the transfer portal.

If a player knows that he won't receive a scholarship for that additional year, I don't see anything wrong with him entering the portal while he's continues to play for his team for the remainder of the season.

I think it more had to do with his "image", they wait out of respect?
Yeah, could be any number of things. Might be an agreement with the school to wait till after the end of the year or something along those lines. Or they might not be transferring or haven't made a final decision either way. Who knows.

Sucks to have to wait but at least we should know pretty quickly what is going to happen in regards to those guys in regards to the portal.

There have been a number of players (in both football and basketball) who have continued to play for their teams after entering the portal. Essentially they are saying that they will transfer but they are still a member of the team. Remember, under the temporary 5th year allowance, there is no obligation for schools to fund that 5th year with a scholarship. The Ivy League said at the outset that they would not do that. That's why you see a lot of Ivy players in the transfer portal.

If a player knows that he won't receive a scholarship for that additional year, I don't see anything wrong with him entering the portal while he's continues to play for his team for the remainder of the season.
With no scholarship I can see that, but most of these kids would still be on scholarship at there current school.

It would seem to me like telling your employer you're leaving, but then continuing to work for them until the time comes when you can leave. If I were a coach, I wouldn't play a kid if he told me he's leaving.

*Garcias situation different

Last edited:

As painful as it would be to see Duke win...yes. IF, and that's a giant if here, we could get a nice little Garcia and Walton package, it might be the impetus Ben needs to convince a higher end PG and a banger big man to come on board with the idea that we would be very competitive this year. The earlier we get one strong transfer signing the better chance to get others in my view.
If either Garcia or Walton are destined for maroon and gold they already know it and Ben does too.

They are. They know it, we know it, and the unc forums know it
Maybe they can hurry up and kick duke's ass, then immediately forfeit the next game so they can decommit....... Walton the MVP of the game.

Just found this link on one of the UNC message boards. Doesn't look like his teammates give a shit about Dawson. Maybe there's more to the story, but still not a good look as his dad was very sick and his grandmother was also very ill, and died a couple of weeks ago.

Just found this link on one of the UNC message boards. Doesn't look like his teammates give a shit about Dawson. Maybe there's more to the story, but still not a good look as his dad was very sick and his grandmother was also very ill, and died a couple of weeks ago.

That's not something you do if they cared for him and his family. There must be something bad going on there.

That's really weird. There must be more to the story. It certainly comes across as if they were not close to Dawson but I don't get the laughter.

Top Bottom