2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Bakary Konate's Hands, is your last name Stone perchance?

First off Lion King, go back and read a little bit. I never even mentioned Harper. (That's a fact) Have no idea why you are telling me that he won't get drafted.

Their second best player is a top 40 recruit who stayed committed after the coaching change. There is no doubt they had a good year, but their current NCAA run is being fueled in large part based on some really fortunate matchups with an LSU team in disarray and a very mediocre Wisconsin team that just barely got by our depleted squad twice this year.

Will be interesting to see what happens going forward and how the runs of BJ and TJ compare in the years to come.
Vert hard for me to call the Big 10 champs mediocre.

Yeah, Konate was definitely a serviceable big guy. Even Stockman was serviceable in his limited role (probably should have played more).
Ron Harper not gonna get drafted .
IMHO..he’s the kinda guy that gets himself in better shape and carves out a nice career in the NBA or overseas….not as athletic as Amir but smart and tough.

Their second best player is a top 40 recruit who stayed committed after the coaching change. There is no doubt they had a good year, but their current NCAA run is being fueled in large part based on some really fortunate matchups with an LSU team in disarray and a very mediocre Wisconsin team that just barely got by our depleted squad twice this year.

Will be interesting to see what happens going forward and how the runs of BJ and TJ compare in the years to come.
Anyway you spin it ISU has had a great season. About time you give TJ credit.

A couple of interesting players with upper Midwest connections entered the portal today…
Noah Carter, 6’6” sophomore forward from UNI who averaged 15 ppg is originally from Dubuque.

Max Klesmit, 6’3” sophomore guard from Wofford averaged 15 ppg is originally from Neenah, WI.

A couple of interesting players with upper Midwest connections entered the portal today…
Noah Carter, 6’6” sophomore forward from UNI who averaged 15 ppg is originally from Dubuque.

Max Klesmit, 6’3” sophomore guard from Wofford averaged 15 ppg is originally from Neenah, WI.

If I were coach, I'd strongly consider a package offer for Klesmit and Ryan Larson, both of Wofford. Then, I'd get a younger point guard with some promise (Larson will be a 5th year senior next year). Get a big man (probably one with a couple years of eligibility left) and call it a day for summer recruiting.

Vert hard for me to call the Big 10 champs mediocre.
Sconnie had a good team and too their credit they won a lot of close games. They also had a quick exit from the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments. Saw them play a number of times and never came away impressed. Davis is a really good player but as a team, this year's Wisconsin squad just wasn't all that impressive.

If I were coach, I'd strongly consider a package offer for Klesmit and Ryan Larson, both of Wofford. Then, I'd get a younger point guard with some promise (Larson will be a 5th year senior next year). Get a big man (probably one with a couple years of eligibility left) and call it a day for summer recruiting.
Are the two Wofford guys good enough to help get us to the middle of the conference?
I'd prefer better but some of these guys disappear quick...like they have already been recruited or the bag man arrives with NIL money...somethin'. Just don't want to be left with guys who are only helpful as practice bodies as time goes by. So, I hear ya. They would help for sure!!! Enough? TBD

Sconnie had a good team and too their credit they won a lot of close games. They also had a quick exit from the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments. Saw them play a number of times and never came away impressed. Davis is a really good player but as a team, this year's Wisconsin squad just wasn't all that impressive.
I agree with your characterization with a couple of BUTs...Davis got hurt during the Nebraska game and that cost them a game. The freshman guard was playing well and he got hurt in the NCAA. They had zero depth!
So some really excellent coaching!!!! Some good fortune got them a piece of the title. Very impressive for a group of 5 or 6 guys who I wouldn't really call impressive individually either. Davis is good but I'm drafting lots of other guys before him. Davidson is a puke but he makes plays that help his team win. Wahl and Crowl came up big when needed. The freshman guard showed up down the stretch.
How about we call it an impressive accomplishment?

Except the conference as a whole, compared to other conferences this year, is in fact mediocre. NCAA performance tells the story.

Thank you for once again professing your love for BADGERS.

The MAAC conference is 2-0 and will end with a winning percentage. Does that mean they are better than the SEC who will have a losing one? The American is 3-1 and will end up with a better percentage too? Since the ACC team beat the Big 12's best team and had a good tourney are they now the best conference? Is the WCC better than the MW cause they will have wins? I can't follow the NCAA tourney performance as being the narrator of the story. The B1G actually has a 9-7 record this year in the tourney. What percentage or performance justifies the conference being good by NCAA tourney standards?

I agree with your characterization with a couple of BUTs...Davis got hurt during the Nebraska game and that cost them a game. The freshman guard was playing well and he got hurt in the NCAA. They had zero depth!
So some really excellent coaching!!!! Some good fortune got them a piece of the title. Very impressive for a group of 5 or 6 guys who I wouldn't really call impressive individually either. Davis is good but I'm drafting lots of other guys before him. Davidson is a puke but he makes plays that help his team win. Wahl and Crowl came up big when needed. The freshman guard showed up down the stretch.
How about we call it an impressive accomplishment?
Yeah Wisconsin was really good this year. They overachieved against all predictions. They all played their role and bought in. Gard will always run good stuff and have his team prepared defensively. They had a run of "overachievements" in tourneys before. Things like this happen in a single elimination tourney.

The MAAC conference is 2-0 and will end with a winning percentage. Does that mean they are better than the SEC who will have a losing one? The American is 3-1 and will end up with a better percentage too? Since the ACC team beat the Big 12's best team and had a good tourney are they now the best conference? Is the WCC better than the MW cause they will have wins? I can't follow the NCAA tourney performance as being the narrator of the story. The B1G actually has a 9-7 record this year in the tourney. What percentage or performance justifies the conference being good by NCAA tourney standards?
Spin away. Then start spinning.
The conference as a whole this season, compared to others is a bit above average.
If you cant follow the tourney performance as being the narrator, ok. To minimize performance in the ncaa is just silly, imo. The ncaa is the reason the games are played.

The conference as a whole this season, compared to others is a bit above average.
If you cant follow the tourney performance as being the narrator, ok. To minimize performance in the ncaa is just silly, imo. The ncaa is the reason the games are played.
Pretty much every advanced metric has the big 10 as the second best conference behind the big 12. No one was shouting to the rooftops that the big 10 was the best conference all year, like they were last year. I think you spend too much time watching and being influenced by big 10 network

Yeah it's fun, but it's an awful barometer. Appearance in the tournament is a far better one as they take in so many metrics.

Pretty much every advanced metric has the big 10 as the second best conference behind the big 12. No one was shouting to the rooftops that the big 10 was the best conference all year, like they were last year. I think you spend too much time watching and being influenced by big 10 network
Influenced by the network?

:LOL:

Are the two Wofford guys good enough to help get us to the middle of the conference?
I'd prefer better but some of these guys disappear quick...like they have already been recruited or the bag man arrives with NIL money...somethin'. Just don't want to be left with guys who are only helpful as practice bodies as time goes by. So, I hear ya. They would help for sure!!! Enough? TBD

After looking Larson's stats and watching him play against Georgia for about 10 minutes in a video, I think he would be just fine for a one-year starter (that's why I would also pick up a younger point guard with potential). I also think he would work well for Ben's style of play (at least what we saw of it this year). He's an old school point guard with low usage. Although he brings the ball up the court solo, he gets rid of it quickly when he's in the half court so he wouldn't dominate the ball and hinder ball movement. He's a good shooter but he's not primarily looking for his shot; he keeps the ball moving. He's not the fastest guy in the world and he's not fancy but he appears physically strong and works hard on both ends of the court.

I was focusing on Larson when I watched the video because I knew nothing about him other than he was a local boy who just hit the transfer portal so I wasn't really watching Klesmit. He's listed as a point but he played more of an off-guard role. He's only a soph but he's a good shooter who scored in double figures in all but 5 of Wofford's games this year. He scored over 20 in seven games including a 27 point performance against South Carolina and a 22 point performance against Chattanooga (27-8 and, as we saw recently, lost to Illinois by only 1 point in the NCAA tournament).

I don't expect us to finish at the conference median next season but I would consider moving up to 9th or 10th a significant improvement.

Tough to find.
Here are a few with those quals, but guessing they are possible to get.
Tamell Pearson-Western Illinois https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tamell-pearson-1.html
Nic Lynch-Lehigh https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nic-lynch-1.html
Joey St Pierre-Milwaukee https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-stpierre-1.html

No, performance in the NCAA tournament isn't everything but, at some point, it's got to mean something. No single measurement (including these indexes) should be controlling when it comes to selecting teams. This isn't the NBA where everyone plays everyone else and every team plays every team home and away at least once each season.

The Big Ten sent 9 teams to the tournament last season and only one escaped from the round of 32. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 sent 5 teams last season; all five advanced to the round of 32, four advanced to the final 16, and 3 advanced to the regional final. What was the Big Ten's penalty for that poor performance? Nothing; they got another 9 bids this season. What was the Pac 12's reward for last season's achievement? They only received 3 bids this season. Even with only 3 bids to the Big Ten's 9, the Pac 12 has the same number of teams in the final 16.

The ACC has one more conference team than the Big Ten. The Big Ten beat the ACC by one game in the Big Ten-ACC challenge this season and normally that inter-league contest is pretty close. But the ACC received 5 bids this season to the Big Ten's 9. 3 of the ACC's 5 teams are in the final 16 while 2 of the Big Ten's 9 teams have reached that level.

Top Bottom